Livingston's pitch - At what point do the clubs get together and complain ?

Remember when the SPL wouldnt let you in when you never had a 10k all seater. That was a stupid rule, but no rule about astro pitches, joke.

I have seen one good game on a plastic pitch that was v Airdrie on a friday night game.

The players dont seem to run properly, very straight backed as if expecting to slide.

Remember when the SPL wouldnt let you in when you never had a 10k all seater. That was a stupid rule, but no rule about astro pitches, joke.

I have seen one good game on a plastic pitch that was v Airdrie on a friday night game.

The players dont seem to run properly, very straight backed as if expecting to slide.

Under the SPL Dunfermline were allowed one for a season, visiting teams were allowed access to train on it a couple of days before the game however they then banned them, Hamilton were forced to lay a grass pitch when they came up around 2009 as they had one as well

When the SPFL was formed in 2013 they allowed them in all Leagues

Plastic pitches got the blame for Templeton's injuries. He then signed for a team with one.
And then he had no injury problems, playing on it for a season and a half.

There are all sorts of artificial surfaces, you can't just lump them all together. That's like saying all grass pitches are the same, when the truth is there are some horrendous grass pitches out there - Motherwell, anyone?

I hope to %^*& someone sets that monstrosity on fire the night before we play Livingston FFS , hopefully it will be too badly damaged to be salvageable ;)

Don’t like them but at the same time all clubs train on them from time to time so don’t see the real problem. Unfortunately when you get a pittance in tv money and gate money your going to go down this route

St Mirren seem to manage to provide one of the better pitches season in season out.

Clearly it's a money issue but it's unacceptable to have pitches like this in the top flight (particularly one that's as bad as this).

Would it be possible to have some sort of league fund, contributed to by all clubs perhaps in relation to turnover, that essentially covers the cost of upkeep etc on a grass park. That way everyone is contributing across the league but everyone is also benefitting. I know we perhaps don't like the idea of subsidising other teams, but we would benefit as we won't have to play on substandard pitches and it also reduces the risk of injury to our players (from the pitch anyway)

It's not the cost of upkeep that's the issue, it's a revenue generator. The pitch is hired out for games, events etc. They make money from these to keep afloat and save money from the upkeep of having to maintain the grass pitch. Double dunter.

There are all sorts of artificial surfaces, you can't just lump them all together. That's like saying all grass pitches are the same, when the truth is there are some horrendous grass pitches out there - Motherwell, anyone?

Sorry mate it's an entertainment. At one point last season at your place I thought my TV was gubbed as I could not follow the ball.

When Livingston were first in the SPL they had a fantastic grass pitch and was well maintained. It was one of the best kept in the league back then.
Football at a professional level should be played on grass.

It's not the cost of upkeep that's the issue, it's a revenue generator. The pitch is hired out for games, events etc. They make money from these to keep afloat and save money from the upkeep of having to maintain the grass pitch. Double dunter.

Fair enough, but how much money are they realistically making from hiring out the pitch over the season, surely that could be more than covered?

I can't speak for Livi or Killie, but Accies don't hire out the pitch. The savings come from not having to hire other venues for training - everybody trains on the same pitch at NDP.

Artificial surfaces also require maintenance. I haven't seen a full cost comparison with maintaining grass, but any savings there wouldn't be significant. We still have a head groundsman, for instance.

If teams can't afford to pay players wages or other costs without having an artificial pitch, they should sign cheaper players or cut back elsewhere. They are playing above where they should be and ruining games with their shit pitches.

Look I can see why club's do it.
I can see the money side of the argument, I can see why the option can make sense to smaller clubs.
But the truth is the game is designed to be played on grass.

No one would put top actors into a quality production on in a scout hall and then demand top entrance money from the paying public.
Top performers in an entertainment profession that are asking the public to pay top money should be allowed the proper platform to display their talents.

If clubs want to play the game on plastic surfaces, then don't ask for anything more than a fiver for such an inferior product.
End of.

The Argentinian Football Association are considering bringing sanctions against Huracan for the condition of their (grass) pitch after a concert was held their. Problem is that the concert was a year ago - the National team trained their prior to the World Cup. :D Just to show it isn't just in Scotland that the administrators a a joke.

2747107h1080.jpg

https://www.lanacion.com.ar/2161796-campo-de-juego-river-huracan

It's an absolute joke.

We all know the mentally challengeds run Scottish Football.

But rather than fecking nonsense like demanding every club cuts their grass to Brenda's specifications would the fat Japanese not be better spent concentrating his efforts on outlawing these fecking plastic surfaces.

If clubs can't afford to maintain a grass pitch then they shouldn't be a professional football club.

There is no one that can seriously defend that, it’s a horrendous surface.

It should be outlawed.
Remember what happened when Dunfermline defended their sub standard surface by saying Bobo Balde had injured more players that season than their surface had?

I've said it before but it's embarrassing that some junior clubs can have a brilliant grass surface yet teams in the top tier of Scottish football can't.

Makes a mockery of the game and it shouldn't be allowed.

I’d be delighted if it were two of the clubs with artificial surfaces that get relegated this season. It’s an embarrassment to have surfaces like that in the top flight.

They asked an NFL player what did he prefer, grass or astro turf. He said donno iv never smoked astro turf.

Get ma coat.

That is not quite true, you are correct about the level of artificial surface, however where your argument stalls is the fact that we in the top league in Scotland allow it at all in any form, this comes from a man that goes to watch Accies whenever I can, or to be more precise whenever my mate who sponsors Accies takes me, the Accies pitch is terrible, it is always a talking point there is no getting away from it the artificial pitches must be banned in the top league.

On top of the injury risk, it’s the quality of the matches that suffer. Never seen a good display of football on artificial. The bounce and travel of the ball is so different.

The sport is supposed to be on real grass or on an equivalent alternative that can replicate the same effect i.e. a hybrid pitch. The surface is such a crucial part of the game. Imagine some clubs decided to fill their balls with helium or use size 4s or something. By using artificial they are introducing a similar level of change to the fundamentals of the sport.

Evidence of this?

It’s most certainly not the case in Europe.
The rubber dust has been removed from the parks in USA. I didn’t know there was American rubber and European rubber, I just thought you got rubber from the same trees for both.

The rubber dust has been removed from the parks in USA. I didn’t know there was American rubber and European rubber, I just thought you got rubber from the same trees for both.

Nah. The process to make it over here is different from the US. It doesn’t break down here as it did over there

And using the bad weather excuse wont wash with me clubs that have plastic pitches rent them out to amature teams 24/7 to make
cash from them,they cant do that with grass

Get it banned, together with the pitches at Rugby Park and Douglas Park.

There is no valid justification for it.

Back