Loan Ranger Thread - Updates on Players Out On Loan Season 2019/2020

He is far too good for that level.

He was holding his own against the beggars 6 months ago.
Apart from getting regular games, what benefit is there for Ross when he is obviously miles better than the opposition every week?
I don’t really get these comments. I know it’s just your opinions lads, but we constantly hear that McCrorie’s distribution is poor and he needs to develop, then he gets the chance and people are moaning. It’s up to him to prove he’s better than the players down there, I think it’s a bit disrespectful to a he’s miles better than the players down there. He’ll go down there and grow as a player and a person and come back banging down the gaffers door.

Wish him all the best. Always had a bit of a soft spot for Portsmouth so hopefully he helps get them promoted and kicks on with his own game too.

Could be looking at Greg Doc and Ross Mc bossing the midfield up here for years to come if they go the way I think and hope they will.

I like Mcrorie but wonder what the long term plan is for him for us

We don’t need a destroyer type midfielder so if he wants minutes in our midfield he will need to improve massively on the ball

Or maybe centre half is long term?

Apart from getting regular games, what benefit is there for Ross when he is obviously miles better than the opposition every week?
When you read the comments from their manager he believes he can improve him as a player. He knows his defensive qualities but thinks, quite rightly, that McCrorie should be offering more up the park given his attributes. The club obviously believe he can improve him as Shrewsbury Improved Docherty.

To me he will be better for the loan. He will no doubt go through dips in form playing nearly every game (hopefully) and will learn how to manage that. Hopefully will be a more rounded player at the end of the loan.

Ross is one of my favourite players at the club as one thing I am certain about is that the jersey is not too heavy for him, unlike a number of players we have had in recent years. So I was disappointed to see him going out on a loan, but I do get that he won’t displace Davis, Jack or Kamara as a starter at the moment.

However as regards comparison with Docherty, I am still not covinced that he should be retained in the squad before McCrorie - different types of players perhaps but Ross has proved himself in Old Firm games - always the yardstick for me.

Time will tell, but I really hope both make it big time with us & are mainstays in our midfield for years to come.

50 games being the main man, having your manager, fans, teammates all look at you to lead and drive and win games...not much benefit mate! The expectations will hold him in good stead next year

Yep.

I’m sure he’d be the first to say, it’s a poor league, with some shite players.

And, on the basis that Aribo is ‘decent’, a few who are quite handy as well.;)

I don't have an issue with them going at that level. The objective is to get those 40-50 games. At that level, for players like Doc and McCrorie, it is almost guaranteed. Move up to Championship level and they might find themselves in and out the team due to bigger squads, better players.

It’s not the quality that matters it’s the fact they are playing big numbers of competitive games against, in many cases, seasoned pros. Make their mistakes out of the spotlight, develop their game and tactical awareness, work on their weaknesses and grow up as a person away from friends and family. I think it’s exactly the right level.

We don’t need a destroyer type midfielder so if he wants minutes in our midfield he will need to improve massively on the ball

Our manager said he is not a centre half.

Doesn't have the physicality or height to be a top central defender.

He's on loan to improve his weaknesses in possession and come back a better player.

Just like Doc.

He's on loan to improve his weaknesses in possession and come back a better player.

Just like Doc.

I wouldn't agree with that. I think Ross is probably the most physical player in our squad already, and what height is he, 6'2 or 3 ?
There's plenty World Class center halves shorter than Mccrorie.
I've always been more confident when he plays, more likely to win the midfield battle in Scotland. Gerrard obviously wants him to develop his game, and sees him as a midfielder, but I think he could still become a CH. I love the guy and hope to see him back captaining Rangers to many trophies in the years ahead.

No way he is 6 ft 2 mate, have seen him beside my son who is 6 ft 3 and mccrorie is several inches shorter, he's lucky if he's 6 ft. Our manager is 6 ft 1 and you will have seen him on the sidelines before coming on at Ibrox, he's a couple of inches shorter, his twin brother is much taller than him, his height on wiki is incorrect

I wouldn't agree with that. I think Ross is probably the most physical player in our squad already, and what height is he, 6'2 or 3 ?
There's plenty World Class center halves shorter than Mccrorie.
I've always been more confident when he plays, more likely to win the midfield battle in Scotland. Gerrard obviously wants him to develop his game, and sees him as a midfielder, but I think he could still become a CH. I love the guy and hope to see him back captaining Rangers to many trophies in the years ahead.

He's nowhere near 6ft 3in mate.

He's about 6ft and is way way smaller than Katic and Goldson.

As for being the most physical player in our team?

A 21year old Dembele threw him around like an empty tracksuit.

McCrorie is very athletic and strong for a central midfielder.

That's where Kenny Jackett, Gerrard and Ross all see his future and I'd agree with them.

Just like Doc.

Here’s hoping

I remember gerrards comments but that was way back at the beginning, as time evolves I wonder if his thinking might as well

If Ross can improve on the ball and trading the game he will be a very competent midfielder

That's where Kenny Jackett, Gerrard and Ross all see his future and I'd agree with them.
I’m 6ft2 and I’ve stood next to him and I couldn’t believe how small he was in stature, about 6ft and not very well built either

I’m 6ft2 and I’ve stood next to him and I couldn’t believe how small he was in stature, about 6ft and not very well built either

You must be Colin Mackenzie ?

Just checked his stats and Ross is 6' 3", so both yourself and MU are talking pish :)
Sergio Ramos is 6' & Fabio Cannavaro was 5'9"
Not saying Ross will return to CH and won't make it as a MF at Rangers, but his height and strength won't be a factor.

Just checked his stats and Ross is 6' 3", so both yourself and MU are talking pish :)
Not saying Ross will return to CH and won't make it as a MF at Rangers, but his height and strength won't be a factor.
I don’t think his height and strength should be a factor either, all I was saying is his stats say he is 6’3’’ when he defo isn’t, just have to google pictures of him standing next to other players

He's not 6' 3" though

Don’t think he’s 6’3” he looks much smaller than katic and Goldson in this picture.
170718_fk_shkupi_rangers_team_01.jpg

Robby is 6’2 6’3. Ross is not even close

I get particularly annoyed with this "Dembele threw him around" thing.

Yes, he did. In one game. Where he had a completely-done Russell Martin next to him, and utter sh*te like Sean Goss protecting him.

And Dembele has and will continue to do that to better and bigger defenders.

Absolutely no other player is mentioned in this. We're not talking about a Danny Wilson level of physicality here.

Given his recovery pace, reading of a game and ability to win the ball cleanly, McCrorie is excellent as a centre half for teams that dominate possession. In midfield, he'll do well for teams under pressure. He doesn't show for a ball like a natural midfielder does at all.

He's big and strong enough to be a centre half in the right team.

I get particularly annoyed with this "Dembele threw him around" thing.

Yes, he did. In one game. Where he had a completely-done Russell Martin next to him, and utter sh*te like Sean Goss protecting him.

And Dembele has and will continue to do that to better and bigger defenders.

Absolutely no other player is mentioned in this. We're not talking about a Danny Wilson level of physicality here.

Given his recovery pace, reading of a game and ability to win the ball cleanly, McCrorie is excellent as a centre half for teams that dominate possession. In midfield, he'll do well for teams under pressure. He doesn't show for a ball like a natural midfielder does at all.

He's big and strong enough to be a centre half in the right team.

Need to agree to disagree mate.

Why do you think he's playing as a central midfielder at Portsmouth (and doing it well)?

At 6ft, he's a good height to be a dominant midfielder, plus he's quick and athletic and gets around the park well.

He's the perfect fit in that position and both Gerrard and McCrorie are agreed on that.

His struggles against Dembele had %^*& all to with Russell Martin, as Dembele was deliberately targeting McCrorie, as he knew he was too strong and powerful for him.

You're right when you say we're not talking Danny Wilson physicality, as Ross is way more aggressive than Wilson.
That wouldn't be hard though.

However, when you look at our 4 central defenders now compared to Ross, they're all way bigger and stronger than him.

Gerrard identified a major problem in the physicality of our central defence and has addressed it.

Other than a few posters on here, nobody sees McCrorie as a central defender any more.
Certainly nobody at Ibrox does.

For the avoidance of doubt, I'm a big McCrorie fan and I fully expect him back at Ibrox and playing in our central midfield for many years to come.

He's already making a huge favourable impression in the Pompey midfield

Need to agree to disagree mate.

Why do you think he's playing as a central midfielder at Portsmouth (and doing it well)?

At 6ft, he's a good height to be a dominant midfielder, plus he's quick and athletic and gets around the park well.

He's the perfect fit in that position and both Gerrard and McCrorie are agreed on that.

His struggles against Dembele had %^*& all to with Russell Martin, as Dembele was deliberately targeting McCrorie, as he knew he was too strong and powerful for him.

You're right when you say we're not talking Danny Wilson physicality, as Ross is way more aggressive than Wilson.
That wouldn't be hard though.

However, when you look at our 4 central defenders now compared to Ross, they're all way bigger and stronger than him.

Gerrard identified a major problem in the physicality of our central defence and has addressed it.

Other than a few posters on here, nobody sees McCrorie as a central defender any more.
Certainly nobody at Ibrox does.

For the avoidance of doubt, I'm a big McCrorie fan and I fully expect him back at Ibrox and playing in our central midfield for many years to come.

He's already making a huge favourable impression in the Pompey midfield

Any time Kevin Thomson has done the H&H live shows, he's said McCrorie is a centre half, so at least one person at Ibrox does! :D

He's playing midfield at Portsmouth because their style of play will suit that.

If they expect him to be effective in a match with 60+% possession where the opposing team is sitting in and happy not to battle, they'll soon see he's not as effective at that.

I like him a lot, but McCrorie has certain strengths to his game that we rarely get to maximise when he's in midfield.

Just look at what Davis offers in there. He should be better at his stage of his career, but it's pretty clear McCrorie won't become that sort of player.

Any time Kevin Thomson has done the H&H live shows, he's said McCrorie is a centre half, so at least one person at Ibrox does! :D

He's playing midfield at Portsmouth because their style of play will suit that.

If they expect him to be effective in a match with 60+% possession where the opposing team is sitting in and happy not to battle, they'll soon see he's not as effective at that.

I like him a lot, but McCrorie has certain strengths to his game that we rarely get to maximise when he's in midfield.

Just look at what Davis offers in there. He should be better at his stage of his career, but it's pretty clear McCrorie won't become that sort of player.

He's a totally different type of midfielder to Davis, no question.

Don't think we're gonna agree on this mate, but I respect your opinion.

Palmer played for Thistle last night 3-2 win, came off at h/t with a knock.
Had a decent game, one of their better players were 2 comments.

That was 2 seasons ago and tbh id take a bet that Dembele would throw Goldson about in a 1-2-1 this season. He is anecception rather than the standard imo. Re ross' height this very subject was discussed but never confirmed either way about a month ago . Yes SG does like his CDs around 6'4" by the looks altho why did he want Skrtel i wonder ? Re ross Imo no way is he any smaller than 6'1" and its likely he is taller but either way he hasnt been exposed aerially at Rangers that i recall. His wiki says 6'3".
It does seem he is being asked to re-skill as a CM so he will need a couple of seasons maybe one more to learn this role. Its not an easy transformation . One other thing is defensive CMs often are just abt as tall as CDs so wouldnt 6 foot be to short ? Eg Wanyama

That was 2 seasons ago and tbh id take a bet that Dembele would throw Goldson about in a 1-2-1 this season. He is anecception rather than the standard imo. Re ross' height this very subject was discussed but never confirmed either way about a month ago . Yes SG does like his CDs around 6'4" by the looks altho why did he want Skrtel i wonder ? Re ross Imo no way is he any smaller than 6'1" and its likely he is taller but either way he hasnt been exposed aerially at Rangers that i recall. His wiki says 6'3".
It does seem he is being asked to re-skill as a CM so he will need a couple of seasons maybe one more to learn this role. Its not an easy transformation . One other thing is defensive CMs often are just abt as tall as CDs so wouldnt 6 foot be to short ? Eg Wanyama

That was a tough read.

I'm sure "I think he's taller than 6'1" would have sufficed.

I don't know why some people refuse to believe Ross McCrorie isn't 6 ft 3 in just because Wiki says that's what he is. The last time I saw McCrorie was a few months ago and he was standing beside my son who is 6 ft 3, and the top of McCrorie's head was level with my son's shoulder, McCrorie is 6 ft tall if he is lucky.

I don't know why some people refuse to believe Ross McCrorie isn't 6 ft 3 in just because Wiki says that's what he is. The last time I saw McCrorie was a few months ago and he was standing beside my son who is 6 ft 3, and the top of McCrorie's head was level with my son's shoulder, McCrorie is 6 ft tall if he is lucky.
Is your son James Forrest? His neck and skull are only 3 inches long?

Back