Loan Ranger Thread - Updates on Players Out On Loan Season 2019/2020

The Harbour Master

Playing regularly for Portsmouth this year will help his development far more than sitting on our bench and maybe getting 15 games. Stevie G is playing the long game here and knows he will get back a far more accomplished player.

vinnie

Ross McCrorie is already making a positive impression at Portsmouth

Rangers midfielder Ross McCrorie is already winning over his manager on loan at Portsmouth.

Speaking to local paper The News, Portsmouth manager Kenny Jackett has admitted he is already a fan of Rangers midfielder Ross McCrorie, despite the player only signing for the club earlier this month.

The Ibrox prospect made the switch to the English League One side on July 5th and less than two weeks later is making quite the impression.

McCrorie played for Pompey in their 11-0 thrashing of UCD in Ireland last week and, after some personal leave, is in line to feature during this weekend's friendly against Stevenage.

Jackett is delighted with what he has seen of the Gers youngster, telling The News: "I’ve been impressed with Ross early on, it’s exciting to see him play, he’s a player that gives us good options.

"Ross gives you a little bit of everything in midfield, he’s a very, very good all-round midfield player.
"We do think he can develop in terms of his forward play, not just holding, he has the athleticism and power to get forward and get on the end of things."

Expected to play as part of a 4-2-3-1 formation during his time on loan at the club, it is clear that McCrorie could broaden his horizons and return to Ibrox a more accomplished player.

That Jackett is such a fan of his abilities already is a good sign. There will be nothing better for the Scotland U21 international than playing regularly under a manager who believes in him.

If the Portsmouth boss can also add a bit of attacking ambition to his game then that could be great for Rangers.

Competition for places will also be strong, with The News stating that McCrorie will be competing with three others for a spot in central midfield.

Early signs suggest this could be a loan move that benefits all parties; now it is on the 21-year-old to prove he can make the most of the situation.
“Some personal leave”. Went to the twelfth celebrations! :D

dh1963

Apart from getting regular games, what benefit is there for Ross when he is obviously miles better than the opposition every week?

Stuhercules

Can only be a good thing for big McCrorie going there on loan and playing against actual footballers rather than against the talentless headless chickens in the Scottish league that prefer running about trying to snap your leg.

Apart from getting regular games, what benefit is there for Ross when he is obviously miles better than the opposition every week?
Ask Greg Docherty.

Ross will do well down here, and come back to Ibrox a better player, because he is getting the competitive minutes. Believe me, a lot of teams in League One are a decent standard, though when I say decent, certainly at least on a par with many teams in the SPL.

Arkanoid

He wants to play 50 games, that will be massive for his development. The manager agrees and will fully expect a far better player next Summer. Gerrard rates him so highly, he's sacrificed having a reduced Europa squad and risked upsetting/losing senior pros i.e Candeais due to the development he sees Ross getting down South

Mark Walters

Getting regular game time at a semi decent level will help refine him as a player. We all know Docherty was a better player than Shrewsbury Town level but he's undoubtedly improved as a player.

Crouchy

Can only be a good thing for big McCrorie going there on loan and playing against actual footballers rather than against the talentless headless chickens in the Scottish league that prefer running about trying to snap your leg.
It’s a dog shit league, full of similar types.

Stuhercules

It’s a dog shit league, full of similar types.
At least most of the teams in that league would'nt get tanked by a Welsh diddy team. He also wont need to play 20 odd games on a stupid plastic pitch. I think it will benefit him just playing regular football every week alone.

Its-Sebo

You can’t really say ‘apart from’ game time when it’s the most important aspect of a loan.

But aside from that he’ll gain experience and maturity from being out of his comfort zone and fending for himself with different expectations being placed on him.

He won’t be viewed as a kid down there. If he is genuinely a level above the rest he’ll be expected to lead the team and take on a lot of responsibility.

In my eyes this is a great move – we’re sending down a boy and I’m expecting him to return a man.

Manno

He is far too good for that level.

He was holding his own against the beggars 6 months ago.
I don’t really get these comments. I know it’s just your opinions lads, but we constantly hear that McCrorie’s distribution is poor and he needs to develop, then he gets the chance and people are moaning. It’s up to him to prove he’s better than the players down there, I think it’s a bit disrespectful to a he’s miles better than the players down there. He’ll go down there and grow as a player and a person and come back banging down the gaffers door.

Texas ranger

Wish him all the best. Always had a bit of a soft spot for Portsmouth so hopefully he helps get them promoted and kicks on with his own game too.

Grei9

Could be looking at Greg Doc and Ross Mc bossing the midfield up here for years to come if they go the way I think and hope they will.

Gascoigne8

I like Mcrorie but wonder what the long term plan is for him for us

We don’t need a destroyer type midfielder so if he wants minutes in our midfield he will need to improve massively on the ball

Or maybe centre half is long term?

cloodie

When you read the comments from their manager he believes he can improve him as a player. He knows his defensive qualities but thinks, quite rightly, that McCrorie should be offering more up the park given his attributes. The club obviously believe he can improve him as Shrewsbury Improved Docherty.

dudzo

Official Ticketer
To me he will be better for the loan. He will no doubt go through dips in form playing nearly every game (hopefully) and will learn how to manage that. Hopefully will be a more rounded player at the end of the loan.

blue genes

Ross is one of my favourite players at the club as one thing I am certain about is that the jersey is not too heavy for him, unlike a number of players we have had in recent years. So I was disappointed to see him going out on a loan, but I do get that he won’t displace Davis, Jack or Kamara as a starter at the moment.

However as regards comparison with Docherty, I am still not covinced that he should be retained in the squad before McCrorie - different types of players perhaps but Ross has proved himself in Old Firm games - always the yardstick for me.

Time will tell, but I really hope both make it big time with us & are mainstays in our midfield for years to come.

Arkanoid

50 games being the main man, having your manager, fans, teammates all look at you to lead and drive and win games...not much benefit mate! The expectations will hold him in good stead next year

Valley Bluenose

Yep.

I’m sure he’d be the first to say, it’s a poor league, with some shite players.
And, on the basis that Aribo is ‘decent’, a few who are quite handy as well.;)

I don't have an issue with them going at that level. The objective is to get those 40-50 games. At that level, for players like Doc and McCrorie, it is almost guaranteed. Move up to Championship level and they might find themselves in and out the team due to bigger squads, better players.

It’s not the quality that matters it’s the fact they are playing big numbers of competitive games against, in many cases, seasoned pros. Make their mistakes out of the spotlight, develop their game and tactical awareness, work on their weaknesses and grow up as a person away from friends and family. I think it’s exactly the right level.

Boab4

I like Mcrorie but wonder what the long term plan is for him for us

We don’t need a destroyer type midfielder so if he wants minutes in our midfield he will need to improve massively on the ball

Or maybe centre half is long term?
Our manager said he is not a centre half.