Loan Ranger Thread - Updates on Players Out On Loan Season 2019/2020

Hastie starting today. Rotherham are one down.

Subbed on 64 minutes. They’ve pulled two goals back after he went off, 2-2 now.

Last edited:
Middleton wasting an important year of his career at hibs when he could of been learning the game in Holland.

Could be a decision that ruins his Rangers career.

Gerrard reportedly wasn't happy with his decision to go to Hibs and it appears to have been a complete waste of time plus I'd be surprised if he gets near our first team squad upon his return.

Looks like Glenn has really fucked it by going to Hibs. Other than staying at home I've absolutely no idea why he didn't go to Holland.

Looks like Glenn has really fucked it by going to Hibs. Other than staying at home I've absolutely no idea why he didn't go to Holland.
The standard in the Premiership is much higher than the second tier in Holland. If he went there he’d be playing a lot of reserve sides.

Sometimes, loans don’t work out. In this case, it didn’t work because Hibs changed manager and the previous one was struggling to save his job.

Loans are risky, it’s why it’s important that we create a pathway for the youngsters in our own squad. Relying on other teams to develop them is risky.

Loans seldom work at our level. Of course there will be exceptions but if they're not pushing for first team squad now, I doubt time in League One is really going to add much to their game - they'd be better served working under our coaching staff.

Robby McCrorie the only on loan player playing today. Middleton misses out on the Hibs squad yet again. McPake once again on the bench for Dundee. Palmer on the bench for Partick.

Loans seldom work at our level. Of course there will be exceptions but if they're not pushing for first team squad now, I doubt time in League One is really going to add much to their game - they'd be better served working under our coaching staff.

Would respectfully disagree. Our coaching staff fully understand the best way to develop players. Playing senior football is an important part of that.

Would respectfully disagree. Our coaching staff fully understand the best way to develop players. Playing senior football is an important part of that.

I'm not sure it's about developing them than trying to move them on. Who from the current batch do you see returning to challenge for the matchday squad?

Barjonas seems to have pushed his way into the first team squad by being in and around Ibrox.

I'm not sure it's about developing them than trying to move them on. Who from the current batch do you see returning to challenge for the matchday squad?

Barjonas seems to have pushed his way into the first team squad by being in and around Ibrox.

I think both the McCrorie brothers, Kelly and Middleton all have a good chance of making it at Rangers. Palmer I haven't seen much of.

Hastie on the bench for Rotherham, playing Solihull Moors on BTSport.

2-0 down inside 8 minutes.

Last edited:
I may be wrong but I get the impression we have far too many on the books.
We have the ones at Ibrox who never play, Doc,King etc. then the ones out on loan, the colts who played on Saturday.
We have the U18s who beat Thistle on Friday, a team which seems to change personel every time they play.
I'm not sure about the younger age groups, but we seem to be overloaded with players who will probably never play for Rangers first eleven.
You're right, lets get rid of all that potentially won't make the first team. Leave those that have a hope to play 5 men vs 11 at each age level.

As I say I may be wrong, when was the last time Kennedy played?
The 17 year old Kai Kennedy who's just forced himself into the first team squad? You want to dump him or throw him into the team where there is immense pressure? Rightfully Gerrard is easing in players when they are ready, not throwing them in sink or swim. Do you remember Myles Beerman? Being thrown in too early destroyed his confidence and where is he now?

The 17 year old Kai Kennedy who's just forced himself into the first team squad? You want to dump him or throw him into the team where there is immense pressure? Rightfully Gerrard is easing in players when they are ready, not throwing them in sink or swim. Do you remember Myles Beerman? Being thrown in too early destroyed his confidence and where is he now?
Not saying anything like that.

Barjonas was on loan at Bury and Raith Rovers last season and came back a better (or more ready) player.

Pretty sure he also had a loan spell at Thistle before last season.

Barjonas was on loan at Bury and Raith Rovers last season and came back a better (or more ready) player.

Pretty sure he also had a loan spell at Thistle before last season.
He was never at Thistle, never played at Bury, or at least only played a few minutes for the whole of the loan, had it written into his Raith Rovers deal that he play whenever he was fit, and so he did play a lot but was not rated at all by Raith fans. The reason he is now in the first team squad, or at least training with them is that Gerrard likes him, simple as that.

He was never at Thistle, never played at Bury, or at least only played a few minutes for the whole of the loan, had it written into his Raith Rovers deal that he play whenever he was fit, and so he did play a lot but was not rated at all by Raith fans. The reason he is now in the first team squad, or at least training with them is that Gerrard likes him, simple as that.

Ah, that's what it was, Thistle announced him then it didn't go through, yeah?

Thing is, you're arguing here that he gained nothing from those loan deals, but that's not necessarily true. Plenty to be said for the new experiences, an understanding of life if it doesn't work at Rangers, and more networking for the player.

Developing youth players isn't just about benefitting Rangers. We owe them the best chance we can give them to have a career as a professional. The vast majority won't be regulars for Rangers, but they help us develop the ones who will be.

Spoke to Barjonas at my local before and he said that the Bury move was just a nightmare, broken promises and I think he was just a boy who couldn't settle living away from home. I think he's picked up from where he was a couple of years back and from what I've heard in reserve games, he has started to develop a bit of a nasty streak, which is a bit refreshing to hear from a young player breaking through

What a load of bull. A successful loan can be measured in many ways not just about the football experience. Have to treat the lads right help them get careers whether that is with us or not. Developing young players isn’t a precise science a lad can have a bad season for many reasons.

Being too brutal chucking lads means you would miss good players and get a bad reputation making it harder to sign players.

Ross mccrorie started for Portsmouth today and didn't look up to much. Accy Stanley won 4 1 after being a goal behind

A boy I work with is a Portsmouth fan and he says McCrorie is settling in well and you can see he normally plays at a higher level and he reckons quote " he is to good for Pompey"

Just flicked back a couple of pages and had a read. Sorry can't see anything. Very few are even getting a game.

Loan review from the weekend.

Friend of mine (Ayr fan) tells me that Stephen Robinson of Motherwell was at an Ayr game supposedly watching young Kelly. They’re worried that we’ll recall him and send him out to the Premiership on loan

Just flicked back a couple of pages and had a read. Sorry can't see anything. Very few are even getting a game.

Did you actually?

Kelly has been a star man at Ayr, as has Robby McC at QoTS. Both have been fantastic, or "setting the heather on fire" as you asked.

Palmer is getting games under his belt at Thistle and gaining valuable first team experience. Relative to his age, he's coped very well in the Championship. He's into double figures now in terms of starts.

Ross McC at Pompey has been stop start because of injuries and suspensions. Their fans rate him highly and hope he can kick on in the new year.

Hastie started like a house on fire at Rotherham but has tailed off a bit. That's natural for a young winger.

Middleton isn't working at Hibs, everyone knows that, and McPake would liked to have started more games for Dundee. That said, the latter just turned 18 in the summer and their manager said his attitude is spot on. He's still got first team action under his belt, and was involved in the Tayside derby.

I get that that your personal brand on here is "glass half empty curmudgeon" but really, being so keen to dismiss young guys like that — some of whom are still trying to carve out a living in the game ˘— is pretty poor IMO.

Back