Loan System vs Youth Academy

Porto with Europa progress at stake against us at Ibrox losing 2-0 with still 20minutes remaining put on a 17 year old that should close this thread

Hard to comment on that ad I don't know the 17year old, I mean if there's a 17year old playing like he could end up at barca or Madrid in near future then fair enough, we don't have anyone who looks as if they are already a superstar, we have loads with bags of potential but are still very much development players.

Every game is high pressure and crucial and right now we are doing fine, I look forward to when the players eventually come through but don't know why it has to be right now this minute. Yeah ojo isn't been doing great of late but ojo aside which youth player would get in our team right now??

Hard to comment on that ad I don't know the 17year old, I mean if there's a 17year old playing like he could end up at barca or Madrid in near future then fair enough, we don't have anyone who looks as if they are already a superstar, we have loads with bags of potential but are still very much development players.

Every game is high pressure and crucial and right now we are doing fine, I look forward to when the players eventually come through but don't know why it has to be right now this minute. Yeah ojo isn't been doing great of late but ojo aside which youth player would get in our team right now??

How do we know that when they can’t get a chance

How do we know that when they can’t get a chance

We have enough of watch our youth week in week out who can see that there's no one who should obviously be in our first 18bjust yet, there are a fair few with lots of potential but I think giving them the chance right now is a gamble. Mcpake sounds like he's knocking on door but look at Middleton, it's a gamble Imo

Nobody is saying play boys 30 times a season. Think the point is pollster,halliday to so extent Flanagan are sitting on a bench probably unused most weeks. Fill a space of the 3 with a kid. For talking sake we are 3 nil up at Ibrox give the kid 15-20 mins. Not play them everyweek and put ourself under pressure. Nobody on here is gonna convince me an 18 year centre mid with Davis and jack beside him would struggle. Incredible if you think that. 18 year old winger against majority of right or left backs wouldn't struggle. As for the challenge on atatyaki that could have happened to anyone

Show me where the Tim's are playing 17year olds in meaningful league or European games??

Plus you are forgetting we had to build our youth squads back up from scratch while they had the luxury of free seasons to mull over youth.

This is a point many people are forgetting Monty.

Despite how well we are already doing at that level we are playing catch up.

We have enough of watch our youth week in week out who can see that there's no one who should obviously be in our first 18bjust yet, there are a fair few with lots of potential but I think giving them the chance right now is a gamble. Mcpake sounds like he's knocking on door but look at Middleton, it's a gamble Imo

McPake isn’t even playing regularly at Dundee. I think some people are under estimating the gulf.

I think next season we'll see Kelly, Houston, Mayo and Barjonas playing more of a part.
We're going to go into next season without needing a major overhaul of the squad.

If Kent had been brought in at the start of summer I doubt we'd have gone for Ojo.

I think Mayo, Barjonas & Patterson May be the first to break due to their superior physicality.

Sorry, and Stephen Kelly who’s at Ayr.

I agree with much of what has been re. Rangers seeming reluctance to give youth a chance. However, I believe a mitigating factor in this situation is that because of what has happened to the club (or rather what was done to it), we have been placed in a situation where we are playing catch-up to the yahoos.

In that context, the pressure to win, to keep up, is intense, making it difficult to introduce talented players from the youth academy into the starting XI, since they would be required to hit the ground running as the fans would have little patience for the inevitable rookie mistakes made during their adjustment period..

Currently, the yahoos, do have a better track-record of integrating players from their youth academy into their first team. However, I would argue that this is because they have been so far ahead of the pack, that they could still win games even when they gave starting minutes to their top academy prospects - since the pressure on them was much less than would have been the case had these same prospects been at Rangers. Once we re-establish parity with them from a quality perspective, I would expect that we will see more opportunities given to the likes of Kai Kennedy etc.

I agree 100%, the youth players need to see opportunities ahead. I would hope that post January window the squad is trimmed back allowing voids to be covered by a couple of the colts

Nobody is saying play boys 30 times a season. Think the point is pollster,halliday to so extent Flanagan are sitting on a bench probably unused most weeks. Fill a space of the 3 with a kid. For talking sake we are 3 nil up at Ibrox give the kid 15-20 mins. Not play them everyweek and put ourself under pressure. Nobody on here is gonna convince me an 18 year centre mid with Davis and jack beside him would struggle. Incredible if you think that. 18 year old winger against majority of right or left backs wouldn't struggle. As for the challenge on atatyaki that could have happened to anyone

Problem is at kick off there is no guarantee that we will be 3 up with 30 minutes to go.
If you remember back to the time when you had to have 2 U21s on the bench, they were rarely used, not just by us, one of the reasons the rule was scrapped.
I do hope that come next season that the squad fillers will be made up of the youth players who have been out on loan this season and shown up well.

same thread will pop in every season

Frimpong isn't their player, same bracket as ojo

Johnson was introduced at a time celtic were horsing the league with no competition.

If the poets were 2pts behind in league would they try out a 17 or 18 year old Johnson, I think not.
Frimpong is their player.

They've played youth in big games and it has paid off.

If Morelos and Defoe were both out we'd play Stewart instead of Mebude and it's backwards

The Tims are in the Same position and doing it
Our youth are pumping all the youth players that are starting to get chances at other teams yet ours are the only ones not getting a shot

‘Try a few out vs Stranraer’ lol

Celtic are not in the same position whatsoever. They're in a position of stability that we could only dream of at this stage. They played a few younger players in a EL group they'd already won.

They have the likes of Christie and Johnston who are also older than the ones we're comparing like Kennedy and Patterson and they've also been able to integrate them in the last couple of years when they've been cantering the league.

It's not even remotely comparable to our situation.

our better academy players are training with the first team day in, day out. they will be given a chance when they are ready.

In the next year or so I think we'll release almost every senior player who aren't getting regular game time as their contracts run out. That's assuming we can't sell them. This will allow a clearer pathway for our current batch of 17-18yr old youths.

If Ojo is better than anything we currently have in the youth setup it's time to scrap it completely and invest the cash in other parts of the club

Problem is at kick off there is no guarantee that we will be 3 up with 30 minutes to go.
If you remember back to the time when you had to have 2 U21s on the bench, they were rarely used, not just by us, one of the reasons the rule was scrapped.
I do hope that come next season that the squad fillers will be made up of the youth players who have been out on loan this season and shown up well.

What difference would it make from halliday being unused to Kennedy? Only 1 person benefits. Kennedy for the experience

That’s not the point though. You’re making out as if playing against Berra and Ikpeazu is a legitimate excuse for not playing youngsters

I don’t really care about other teams youngsters. But the fact every team in the country is playing youth shows it’s a Rangers problem and not a Scottish problem
ojo is having little impact - that's the point. We get loanees that really have little impact which makes me wonder if it's worthwhile. If we need loanees, we need better than players from other clubs with little First team experience. Davis and Defoe are good loans - we need more like them, not raw development squad players in this critical season.

What difference would it make from halliday being unused to Kennedy? Only 1 person benefits. Kennedy for the experience
It's more the fact that at present if needed Halliday would be used eg if Borna went off injured or to see the game out if it was tight. Kennedy wouldn't unless we were 4 up. At the end of day do they really gain much sitting on the bench for 90mins or getting a 30second cameo?
I do hope though that next season the places that Polster, Halliday, Barker, Ojo etc have in the squad are taken by the likes of Kelly, Palmer etc, players that we could bring on either to change the way the game is going or if an enforced change is needed.

What isn’t true?

Since we come back into contention name me a 17 year old that they brought through the ranks who has been a regular in their side? Maybe Johnston but, as has been pointed out, he was older still than Kennedy when he broke through.

Tierney, McGregor, Ajer etc all bad the luxury of debuting and playing their way in while we weren’t a factor, totally incomparable circumstances.

Kennedy, Patterson and a lot of our other top young players are all being linked with clubs like Bayern, Liverpool, Man city, Roma, etc.

Doesn't that say something, if we don't give them a chance and don't try to give any young player a chance, they will think there is no path to the first team. If you have little chance of first team football at rangers, why not go to a club with better coaches/facilities for more money.

I'm not advocating throwing them into the deep end of a big game, but having one or 2 on the bench every other week and coming on when we are a couple up will massively help their development. The fact not one academy player made it onto the bench against East Fife was an absolute embarrassment. These lads have beaten better teams than East Fife as the colts but it was deemed better to get Polster, Haliday, etc minutes.

We have atleast 5/6 players who could be moved on and we wouldn't notice the difference. Polster, Haliday, Doc, King, Murphy and Barker could be moved on and we wouldn't notice a difference, then what little minutes they've had could now be taken by our most promising youth players.

You're missing the point, mcgregor Tierney Johnson ect all had the luxury of playing under no pressure and no competition from us for years.

Had they been on the charge to stop us doing 10 in a row and bringing their club back from the brink it would have been a lot different.

We are doing really well under the circumstances, no rush to try bed untested youngsters at our level, it would be a major gamble.

It'll happen in time.
They played them in big games where stuff was on the line so this whole they only played them cos we weren’t there doesn’t work
They played them in Europe against quality opposition when they were under pressure

They’ve been playing Frimpong consistently and just put him up against Kent in a Cup Final at 18
Every club does it. It’s not some alien concept that we give our youth a chance, especially with shit like Ojo, Barker, Docherty, Grezda kicking around the place

Since we come back into contention name me a 17 year old that they brought through the ranks who has been a regular in their side? Maybe Johnston but, as has been pointed out, he was older still than Kennedy when he broke through.

Tierney, McGregor, Ajer etc all bad the luxury of debuting and playing their way in while we weren’t a factor, totally incomparable circumstances.
Why is 17 the magic number? Tierney was playing week in week out at 18 and was trusted up against players like Nani in the Europa league
McPake is 18, you think there’s any chance they loan out a player with his potential? They wouldn’t. He’d be getting game time already from them never mind being sent to a joke of a manager like James McPake who’s fucking clueless

They’re already starting to get the likes of Robertson and Dembele involved with the first team. They’d had Morrison with the first team before Bayern signed him

But aye, give someone a few minutes against Stranraer.

They played them in big games where stuff was on the line so this whole they only played them cos we weren’t there doesn’t work
They played them in Europe against quality opposition when they were under pressure

They’ve been playing Frimpong consistently and just put him up against Kent in a Cup Final at 18
Every club does it. It’s not some alien concept that we give our youth a chance, especially with shit like Ojo, Barker, Docherty, Grezda kicking around the place

What youth player in your opinion should be in our 18? And in place of who? or are you just asking for anyone to be given that place on bench.

For me it has to be someone who can make a greater impact than someone than we already have in there, imo you don't want to rush it or you could end up with a situation like Middleton, mccrorie, docherty ect where a lot of fans have already written off these guys as future Rangers players because they have had a crack in first team and didn't do as well as expected.

Celtic were forced to play fimpomg at first due to injury and he grabbed his chance granted, right now we have at least 2 senior players for every position so it then becomes harder again for a youngster to get in.

I agree with you we should be seeing youth coming through soon but right now with the pressure and how well we are doing I don't think it's something we need to rush.

Let’s really think about your difference of opinion for one single minute please
Provide us with any little piece of proof that resembles our club having any thoughts of playing a youth player over every other club in SPL

What youth player in your opinion should be in our 18? And in place of who? or are you just asking for anyone to be given that place on bench.

For me it has to be someone who can make a greater impact than someone than we already have in there, imo you don't want to rush it or you could end up with a situation like Middleton, mccrorie, docherty ect where a lot of fans have already written off these guys as future Rangers players because they have had a crack in first team and didn't do as well as expected.

Celtic were forced to play fimpomg at first due to injury and he grabbed his chance granted, right now we have at least 2 senior players for every position so it then becomes harder again for a youngster to get in.

I agree with you we should be seeing youth coming through soon but right now with the pressure and how well we are doing I don't think it's something we need to rush.
McPake, Kennedy, Kelly and Patterson should all be in and around the first team getting minutes
McPake and Kennedy would offer far more in our front 3 than Barker, Ojo, Arfield
Kelly should be in the squad ahead of Halliday, Polster, Docherty, King
Patterson should be second choice RB ahead of Flanagan, Polster. Patterson should have had a good amount of minutes already this season with how poor Tavernier has been

Frimpong didn’t get a chance due to injury. They played him in the cup against Partick when they rotated the squad
If the only reason he got a chance was because of injuries he would’ve been punted right back out when the others were fit. He’s been their first choice RB since he broke in apart from Europe where he’s not registered

But again, even if he did they still would’ve played him after the players returned from injuries instead of playing a senior player out of position. They won’t lose faith in him either after getting sent off in a cup final because they realise his potential and it takes time to develop.

Back