European Campaign - Our Potential Opponents & Significant Dates - QR3 Draw on Monday at 11am

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeeGer10

2nd Place in Scotland - Champions League QR3 (Non Champions Route)

QR3 (Draw made on 24th July)
August 8/9 1st leg
August 15 2nd leg

Play-off round (Draw made 7th August)
August 22/23 1st leg
August 29/30, 2nd leg

The non champions route actually starts in QR2 with 4 teams. This round has been drawn:

Genk vs Servette
Dnipro vs Panathinaikos

The 3rd Qualifying round will be made up of

Seeded:
Rangers 54.000
Braga 44.000
PSV 43.000
Marseille 33.000

Unseeded:
2nd in Austria - Sturm Graz 12.500
2nd in Serbia - TSC 6.675
2 winners from QR2

Coefficient is the big factor here as it's seeded vs unseeded. Rangers will have a coefficient of 54.000 next season. This means we need to be in the top 4 teams to be seeded for QR3 and top 2 for Play Off lucky for us were #1 seed.

Should we progress through to the Play Off round it would be made up of the 4 teams who progress from above (QR3) seeded vs unseeded.

What happens if we lose either of the Champions League qualifying ties?

Should we lose in QR3 or the Play off we will play in the Europa League Group Stages.

Last edited:
Intersting read op, thanks for pulling together.

Still a long way to go but looks like we've got a pretty good chance of being seeded should it come down to this.

Surprised to see Club Brugge so far off the pace. Also notice our old pals Braga currently sitting 2nd in Portugese league. You'd fancy Porto to overtake them, but Braga are 8 points clear of Sporting in 4th so look a decent bet for 3rd place. Would be mental if we drew them again for 3rd time in 5 years and made it 3 from 3.

Or we could just go on an incredible domestic run, win the league and avoid the whole qualifying shenanigans...

Intersting read op, thanks for pulling together.

Still a long way to go but looks like we've got a pretty good chance of being seeded should it come down to this.

Surprised to see Club Brugge so far off the pace. Also notice our old pals Braga currently sitting 2nd in Portugese league. You'd fancy Porto to overtake them, but Braga are 8 points clear of Sporting in 4th so look a decent bet for 3rd place. Would be mental if we drew them again for 3rd time in 5 years and made it 3 from 3.

Or we could just go on an incredible domestic run, win the league and avoid the whole qualifying shenanigans...
Club Brugge have had a terrible season so far despite being in the knockouts for the Champions League. They have recently appointed Scott Parker (P4 W0 D3 L1)

It's looking like we're going to finish 2nd. Would anybody prefer to dodge the Champions League after this seasons catastrophe and go into the Europa League group stages next season? Or do we feel more confident for a crack at the Champions League with Beale at the helm?

CL groups all the way. Then if needs be, drop into the EL via 3rd place.

This seasons catastrophe was also down to our own doing.

Yes, absolutely on paper it looked like a tough draw.

But writing this with the benefit of hindsight - Liverpool are having a cünt of a season and sitting mid table in the EPL and Ajax fans aren’t overly chuffed with their performances over the course to date.

If there was ever a season to draw those two - it was this season.
Not Napoli - they are flying!

We could prob still have got better luck in the draw anyway.

Basically, I think we are far more capable than this seasons campaign suggested.

It's looking like we're going to finish 2nd. Would anybody prefer to dodge the Champions League after this seasons catastrophe and go into the Europa League group stages next season? Or do we feel more confident for a crack at the Champions League with Beale at the helm?
Vital we qualify for CL imo and become regulars. Year after next it's a 10 game moneypit I think.

Would 100% rather the CL group stages, but wouldn't be distraught at the EL tbh.

The main thing is making the play-off round at the very least as it guarantees an extra £5m. If we can get that I'd be annoyed at not making the CL, but it wouldn't be the end of the world
Winning QR3 and getting to the EL group stages wouldn’t be too bad.

EL is more enjoyable for the fans as we’re competitive.

The way I see it, the more we qualify for the Champions League the more we’ll be used to the quality and will be better prepared. It’s not every season we’ll get a draw as tough as the finalists, the in form club side in Europe (Napoli) and then the other club being Ajax (who were top seeds).

I honestly think that Celtic defeat in September had such an impact on our team’s confidence that we looked shellshocked going into the Ajax game. We then just looked bereft of confidence in any big game after - whereas now we look more at ease. With the games all being crammed in to a shorter period than usual, we weren’t able to get out of the rut in time to make an impression.

We want CL football, and to give a good showing, put this season's debacle behind us.

Be a lot more confident with Beale at the helm + I'm sure we'll have a much stronger squad, and fewer injuries come August.

I've not given up on the league and automatic qualification just yet. Keep winning and stranger things have happened!

I want us to be in the Champions League. However, as we have just borne witness to this season, it's very much group dependent. We got an absolute howler of a group this season and our form only compounded that misery.

I personally think we'd be far more competitive under Beale, but I'm also very aware of the fact that if we get stuck in a group with 3 top level sides, we'd run the risk of getting battered again. I think it's better for us if we get back on the saddle straight away, don't let it fester and become a thing. Also with the format changing in a few seasons time to further suit the mega wealthy, this is probably one of our last chances to play in the more competitive format.

Europa v Champions League is a fair question to ask
I don't think there's any question that the Europa run last season was far more enjoyable than the Champions League this. So if it was a simple choice of which to repeat then it's an easy answer.
The effect of the Champions League hammerings on morale and performances in domestic competition should not be underestimated either. The other side are used to getting battered in Europe so could simply shrug it aside as business as usual. However it was a major shock to our team who had never experienced this.
Having said that football or indeed life is not like this so there is no reason to expect next season to simply be a re-run of this or the year before. We therefore need to reach for the highest possible target in order to better ourselves and for that reason I would choose Champions League again and just hope it wouldn't be a watching through the fingers experience this time.
If we do get to the groups the club has a difficult decision on pricing the tickets as interest in prices at this year's levels could be restricted.

We always strive to win the league it's in our D.N.A. However nowadays our best chance at European success rests in the Europa League.

We're more than capable but most teams in Europe think the same, that's why personally I'm really proud of the players and fans for the class they've shown in recent years.

As a club we need straight back into the champions league so we can try and redeem ourselves and get some pride back. Last year was a very difficult group but we embarrassed ourselves as a club

I was certain I’d be updating the Swiss League 2nd Spot but both contenders dropped points.

Don’t think there’s any changes to be made this week.

It is inevitable this question will be asked very frequently soon so let's clear it up.

League Winners - Champions League Group Stages
2nd Place - Champions League Qualifying Round 3 (Non Champions Route)

This is exactly the same as last year.

At the moment it's more likely we're going in at QR3 so who will we up against?

The non champions route actually starts in QR2 with 4 teams. This round will be made up of -

2nd in Ukraine
2nd in Belgium
2nd in Switzerland
2nd in Greece

This means the 3rd Qualifying round will be made up of

3rd in France
3rd in Portugal
2nd in Netherlands
2nd in Austria
2nd in Scotland
2nd in Serbia
Winner of Tie 1 from QR2
Winner of Tie 2 from QR2

Coefficient is the big factor here as it's seeded vs unseeded. Rangers will have a coefficient of 54.000 next season. This means we need to be in the top 4 teams to be seeded for QR3 and top 2 for Play Off. This is definitely possible (see post 2)

Should we progress through to the Play Off round it would be made up of the 4 teams who progress from above (QR3) seeded vs unseeded.

What happens if we lose either of the Champions League qualifying ties?
Should we lose in QR3 or the Play off we will play in the Europa League Group Stages.

QR3
August 8/9 1st leg
August 15 2nd leg

Play-off round
August 22/23 1st leg
August 29/30, 2nd leg

I'll try to keep this updated as best as possible. Feel free to point out any errors.
I’ll be book making this.

And then I’ll forget about and start asking questions again.

Always need to aim to play in the highest competition but I wouldn’t be too upset tbh.

Cheers for the info.
Tbh I'd much rather avoid the CL & drop down to Europa & build our reputation up again under Beale.
Our reputation isn't going to build if they are playing CL every season and we are in the Europa. We will have a reputation as the second best team in Scotland, which is last.

It's nothing personal, but if you believe we can somehow miss out on the CL group stages next season and magically substitute it for another run to Seville a'la last season, therefore making the same amount of money, then you are certifiably, up the lum bonkers.

As I said, don't take it personally.

How is our coefficient rating now sitting with the Progres debacle having dropped off in the 5 year table

Thanks for the info. Can you confirm if we are seeded if that makes any difference to being drawn home/away first for the first leg? Heading back from Canada for my wedding in the summer and will be in Glasgow over the dates of the 1st leg

It's more a case of we could use the prize money to compete for the league. Success at home is the priority

Champions league for me, financially its on par with getting to a europa league final for us and comes with the extra prestige.

Surely we cant preform any worse than we did this season.

It’s got to be Champions league due to finances. This year we got £20m and Celtic got £30m. If we go to the EL last 16 we would get just over £10m - so a £20m difference to Celtic. Too big a gap. We need CL money unfortunately

Thanks for the info. Can you confirm if we are seeded if that makes any difference to being drawn home/away first for the first leg? Heading back from Canada for my wedding in the summer and will be in Glasgow over the dates of the 1st leg
Doesn't make any difference if seeded at this point just luck of the draw

Can't wait after last season's gagballed dry humping :( It was an absolute downer.

As I stand now, I would rather a Europa league run of exciting matches, jubilation and sky-high feelings of joy.

Putting my sensible head on, the CL is the only feasible route, due to the money we need to stop CA fc.

I'll always prefer the Europa over the Champions league but this is the last season we'll have group stages in the CL because UEFA are basically turning the champions league into the super league.

Champions league for me, financially its on par with getting to a europa league final for us and comes with the extra prestige.

Surely we cant preform any worse than we did this season.
I wish people would bin this fanciful notion that a EL final is always going to be just around the corner. Therefore a final equates to CL money.

Last season was wonderful, but it won't be happening again, anytime soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back