European Campaign - Our Potential Opponents & Significant Dates - QR3 Draw on Monday at 11am

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a live list somewhere of the teams who will be starting in QR3 or the playoffs that shows who will be seeded?

Next season's expected Pot 4 is looking much stronger as it stands

POT 4
Olympique Marseille (FRA)33.000
Real Sociedad (ESP)32.000
Celtic (SCO)31.000
Galatasaray (TUR)31.000
Newcastle (ENG)20.628
Union Berlin (GER)15.821
RC Lens (FRA)11.899
Dnipro-1 (UKR)6.000
Where’s that from out of curiosity?

I think it could look a lot different but there are expected to be some bigger names.

I think Sociedad will be there, Union Berlin will be 50/50 as they play Leipzig and Bayern over next few weeks.

I think Galatasaray would have to go through 4 rounds of qualifiers which they always seem to struggle with at CL level.

Dnipro even with them being top of the league (Shakhtar still favourites) would be unseeded in the Play Off round with that coefficient.

Where’s that from out of curiosity?

I think it could look a lot different but there are expected to be some bigger names.

I think Sociedad will be there, Union Berlin will be 50/50 as they play Leipzig and Bayern over next few weeks.

I think Galatasaray would have to go through 4 rounds of qualifiers which they always seem to struggle with at CL level.

Dnipro even with them being top of the league (Shakhtar still favourites) would be unseeded in the Play Off round with that coefficient.
@DeeGer10

The link in post above I presume

This is great, cheers mate.

Out of the unseeded teams we could get at the moment, I reckon St. Gallen, Sturm Graz or Partizan would be the best draws in terms of progressing.

AEK Athens would be a cracking trip but quite a tricky tie I imagine.

Union SG again would be a pain in the arse, not a particularly exciting trip combined with a tie that has banana skin written all over it.

Looks like it’s from the Swiss Data site, not sure how they’re predicting that.
Because someone is taking the time and patience to do it. Anyone could do it

It based on the current teams that are in their country European placing

Will be interesting to see what happens if Union SG and Brighton qualify for Europe as they both shouldn't be allowed to participate with Tony Bloom owning them.

UEFA already investigating links between AC Milan and Lille.

Will be interesting to see what happens if Union SG and Brighton qualify for Europe as they both shouldn't be allowed to participate with Tony Bloom owning them.

UEFA already investigating links between AC Milan and Lille.
Can’t see it being an issue, technically multiple ownership is allowed and it’s only against the rules for a person or entity to exercise “decisive influence” in two or more club’s decision-making, and even then UEFA can still allow it as long as it doesn’t go against the “integrity” of the competition, like they’ve done with RB Leipzig and Salzburg.

EDIT: Just found this paragraph on Tony Bloom’s wiki page which (if true) would mean there’s no issue:

It is understood that although Bloom is the majority owner of USG, he has no day-to-day involvement with the club which is run independently of both him and Brighton.

Looks like his business partner (Alex Muzio) is the chairman, which would confirm that he has no “decisive influence” as mentioned above.

Last edited:
Brilliant, thanks. Draw looks good just now but all it takes is for Ajax to finish 2nd and we’re no longer seeded. Unless Shakhtar regain 1st place over Dnipro, which they hopefully will.
I can actually see Ajax winning the league now, they’re only three points behind Feyenoord at the top with a better goal difference and a new manager who has started very well, Feyenoord have a worse coefficient than us so we’d still be seeded if they finished second. PSV’s coefficient is worse than ours too so Ajax are the only worry.

Dnipro are five points clear of Shakhtar but they’ve played a game more so it’s likely to be two points, hopefully shouldn’t matter anyway.

I can actually see Ajax winning the league now, they’re only three points behind Feyenoord at the top with a better goal difference and a new manager who has started very well, Feyenoord have a worse coefficient than us so we’d still be seeded if they finished second. PSV’s coefficient is worse than ours too so Ajax are the only worry.

Dnipro are five points clear of Shakhtar but they’ve played a game more so it’s likely to be two points, hopefully shouldn’t matter anyway.
Yeh, there’s a good chance we’ll be the top seeded club.

Reactions: FSM
Post #2 updated.

France is getting interesting especially as none of the teams look like they’d be seeded in the PO round.

Im probably in the minority but would much prefer the europa league. UEFA want to make the champions league a closed shop, and our finances will never allow us to compete.

2 europa league finals in the last few years suggest we can compete there, and some of those European nights at Ibrox last season were the best experiences Ive ever had as a football fan

I appreciate though that we do need the money from the champions league
Get into the CL for the money and try and finish 3rd to then get a run at the EL.

Post #2 updated.

France is getting interesting especially as none of the teams look like they’d be seeded in the PO round.
It is probably worth pointing out that if the Europa League title holders slot is not required then no French team will have to qualify, their 3rd place will go direct to the groups.

Long way to go before we know for sure but given Barcelona, Arsenal, Man U, Ajax, Feyenoord, Salzburg are among the favourites still left in it, that scenario seems quite likely.

It is probably worth pointing out that if the Europa League title holders slot is not required then no French team will have to qualify, their 3rd place will go direct to the groups.

Long way to go before we know for sure but given Barcelona, Arsenal, Man U, Ajax, Feyenoord, Salzburg are among the favourites still left in it, that scenario seems quite likely.
This is true I’ll add it to the post for clarity.

It’s no wonder people get confused, I think I have a good grasp of how it all works but sometimes look at it a few times before it comes to me.

In this event that would move 2nd Ukraine to QR3 and Czech Republic to QR2 ? (I’ll need to check this when less tired)

Last edited:
Europe poses a conundrum for us now there is no drop down to the EL.

I think everyone recognizes that is our level, but qualifying for it now will inevitably mean we have lost out on the CL cash to the mentally challengeds. Even a run to the EL final wouldn’t match the cash for participating in the CL groups.

Does this mean our future will be without European football after Xmas?

To be honest I’d much rather play in the Europa, as we have seen we can compete there. Last season was one of the most exciting in memory and it’s hard to take that we must deny ourselves that experience again because of finances.

Just shows how much UEFA have messed up the game by appeasing the big clubs.

Last edited:
This is true I’ll add it to the post for clarity.

It’s no wonder people get confused, I think I have a good grasp of how it all works but sometimes look at it a few times before it comes to me.

In this event that would move 2nd Ukraine to QR3 and Czech Republic to QR2 ? (I’ll need to check this when less tired)
Not 100% sure but I think the balancing would be moving 3rd Portugal to the PO round.

Edit:
Even less sure now after a bit of research! The move I remembered was done in the year affected by Covid when the EL winner was not known before the first draws, so you could well be right and the balancing done lower down the draw.

Last edited:
Get into the CL for the money and try and finish 3rd to then get a run at the EL.
This is something that’s said a lot, but trying to strategically finish 3rd in a group is difficult.

Either competitiveness kicks in and you win enough games to qualify, or you could end up as the skud book of the group like us last season and not pick up a single point.

Look at 08 - we all left Ibrox deflated after losing 0-3 to Lyon, dropped into the UEFA Cup which was seen as a bit of a distraction in the first ties we played, and ended up going on an accidental journey to the final.

I hope we learned our lesson about wanting glamour ties. Give me the easiest team possible and the possibility of progression over a big name anytime
What’s the lesson? Us as fans wanting glamour ties has no bearing on the names that come out in the draw, so we can’t change it even if we wanted to.

This is something that’s said a lot, but trying to strategically finish 3rd in a group is difficult.

Either competitiveness kicks in and you win enough games to qualify, or you could end up as the skud book of the group like us last season and not pick up a single point.

Look at 08 - we all left Ibrox deflated after losing 0-3 to Lyon, dropped into the UEFA Cup which was seen as a bit of a distraction in the first ties we played, and ended up going on an accidental journey to the final.
Darchivilles miss haunts me then remember the aftermath that came from it

Europe poses a conundrum for us now there is no drop down to the EL.

I think everyone recognizes that is our level, but qualifying for it now will inevitably mean we have lost out on the CL cash to the mentally challengeds. Even a run to the EL final wouldn’t match the cash for participating in the CL groups.

Does this mean our future will be without European football after Xmas?

To be honest I’d much rather play in the Europa, as we have seen we can compete there. Last season was one of the most exciting in memory and it’s hard to take that we must deny ourselves that experience again because of finances.

Just shows how much UEFA have messed up the game by appeasing the big clubs.
and the proposed increase in euro fixtures

its not good

Most certainly the Champions League for me. We have an extreme embarrassment to overcome and avenge from this seasons' CL debacle.

And in the words of one of our songs, 'Cause we're out to show the world what we can do'.

I'm on board with this.

Get into the Champions League next season and attone for this seasons shambolic display. Get a bit of pride back right away.

Not interested in being labelled as a Europa League team. Should aim as high as we can.

I'm on board with this.

Get into the Champions League next season and attone for this seasons shambolic display. Get a bit of pride back right away.

Not interested in being labelled as a Europa League team. Should aim as high as we can.
Yes we really need success in the Champions League to restore our name and pride this 8incoming season.

With the exception of our incredible run of 1992/93 albeit in a different CL.format, it is hard to believe that the last time and only time we made the round of 16 of the CL was under the much maligned management of Alex McCleish in 2006. From memory we were a bit unlucky not to make the QF's against Villarreal.

I hope Beale has the GVB/Gerrard effect in Europe. (Discounting the Malmo escapade of the latter of course).

Tin Hat on here but in my view a good run Europe and especially the CL is as satisfying as beating the Tims. I am on the edge of my seat when the draw for the group stage is made.

Yes we really need success in the Champions League to restore our name and pride this 8incoming season.

With the exception of our incredible run of 1992/93 albeit in a different CL.format, it is hard to believe that the last time and only time we made the round of 16 of the CL was under the much maligned management of Alex McCleish in 2006. From memory we were a bit unlucky not to make the QF's against Villarreal.

I hope Beale has the GVB/Gerrard effect in Europe. (Discounting the Malmo escapade of the latter of course).

Tin Hat on here but in my view a good run Europe and especially the CL is as satisfying as beating the Tims. I am on the edge of my seat when the draw for the group stage is made.

Being pedantic, 92/93 was last 8 and 95/96 & 96/97 were last 16. We just never got out of the group stages until 05/06.

Boyd had a brilliant chance to win over in Villarreal and we more than matched them. It's crazy to think that team was so close to the CL quarter final, since it was nowhere near as talented as the team from 99-01.

Still unfinished business for me with this current team. I think we can present ourselves a lot better, especially now under Beale.

Drooling over a big side coming to Ibrox is ultimately going to lead to seeing us get a hiding (more often than not)
That’s been the case since Juventus and Ajax in the mid 90s. Whether the fans want a glamour tie or not means nothing to the draw.

A lesson can only be learnt if you can make a change off the back of it, there’s no point in supporters beating themselves up for something outwith their control, for daring to want to see a Real Madrid play at Ibrox.

What the 2 wins in their last ten European ties,

Alashkert 1-0 Ibrox
Brondby 2-0 Ibrox

not thanks I don‘t want a return to that.

I appreciate all the finances but honestly I'd much prefer the Europa League and a long run again. Desperately miss that run to Seville from last year.

We are never making any impression in the CL. Football has moved on and left teams like us behind.

I appreciate all the finances but honestly I'd much prefer the Europa League and a long run again. Desperately miss that run to Seville from last year.

We are never making any impression in the CL. Football has moved on and left teams like us behind.

The sooner folk realise this isn’t the 1990s and the Champions League has been redesigned to keep the likes of us out the better.

The gulf is getting bigger by each passing season.

What actually is our Champions League record ? We couldn’t even win a group stage game when we had Gazza and Laudrup in our team.

Ajax and Shahktar occupying the qualifying positions which affect our seeding.

A long way to go and fully expect both to win their league.

- Draw dates added
- Updated teams in qualifying positions

Europa v Champions League is a fair question to ask
I don't think there's any question that the Europa run last season was far more enjoyable than the Champions League this. So if it was a simple choice of which to repeat then it's an easy answer.
The effect of the Champions League hammerings on morale and performances in domestic competition should not be underestimated either. The other side are used to getting battered in Europe so could simply shrug it aside as business as usual. However it was a major shock to our team who had never experienced this.
Having said that football or indeed life is not like this so there is no reason to expect next season to simply be a re-run of this or the year before. We therefore need to reach for the highest possible target in order to better ourselves and for that reason I would choose Champions League again and just hope it wouldn't be a watching through the fingers experience this time.
If we do get to the groups the club has a difficult decision on pricing the tickets as interest in prices at this year's levels could be restricted.
There is not going to be a REPEAT of last season's run to Seville anytime soon.

The club is in freefall.

The Europa League group stage is our new bread and butter, times have changed so no panic if we don't win our national title.

A defeat from the mhanks plays with the emotions.The Club is in its best financial position for years.The squad is stronger now than anytime in the last 10 years.
The whole squad needs dismantled from goalkeeper out.

We have a defence that can't keep a clean sheet against Thistle at home.

A mob that lost to Darvel, six tiers below them, took us to extra time the week previous. Oh, and this time 'you know Aberdeen' simply doesn't wash.

Strong squad, in your dreams.

I'd dread going in to qualifiers with this squad. At the moment the board should be budgeting for non-CL european football unless things change.

The whole squad needs dismantled from goalkeeper out.

We have a defence that can't keep a clean sheet against Thistle at home.

A mob that lost to Darvel, six tiers below them, took us to extra time the week previous. Oh, and this time 'you know Aberdeen' simply doesn't wash.

Strong squad, in your dreams.
Bud I learned many years ago never to make a decision when you are angry because you will almost always get it wrong.Doing it your way you would be getting rid of Raskin,Cantwell,Ridvan etc and starting from scratch thats like going back to 2012.So that is a non starter.
The bulk of this team were being lauded less than a year ago for beating top European teams agai st the odds.We also won the Scottish Cup beating the mhanks along the way.I know its not enough and we need to win the league.The team does need to evolve but keep a calm head,ripping up and starting again,even if that was possible is playing straight into the hands of our enemies.

Looks like at this point our first qualifier will either be against Union SG (again), Sturm Graz or Partizan Belgrade. Sturm Graz is the only one that seems certain though, as Antwerp are only two points behind Union and Bačka Topola and Čukarički are right behind Partizan.

Would be pretty boring (and more difficult) if we got Union SG or Antwerp again, I’d much prefer Sturm Graz or Partizan.

As a side note, Čukarički play in Belgrade but in a tiny stadium that isn’t up to UEFA standards, so if we got them it’d be held at Partizan’s stadium anyway. Bačka Topola is a bit more interesting, they play in the north of Serbia which is ethnically Hungarian and it’s a small town of around 15,000, they’ve never played in Europe before either and I imagine they’d move the venue to Novi Sad as like Čukarički, their own stadium wouldn’t meet European standards.

Was the worst group possible to be in at that time
Bayern, Barcelona & Inter was the only other option

Our group could much different had we been out before Celtic or they had our side of the draw but they 1st Pot 4 team and had all 8 groups to be drawn in - that meant we could only get 4 groups and were the 2nd last team out

I'd dread going in to qualifiers with this squad. At the moment the board should be budgeting for non-CL european football unless things change.
Warning signs were there in Belgium. We were extremely lucky to come away with a 2-0 defeat which is utterly embarrassing on reflection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back