Lord Hodge Deputy President UKSC - Rangers related

jnloyal

Appreciate this may well be a long shot but bear with me.

Lord Hodge was sworn in as deputy president of the UKSC yesterday which resulted in Scottish justices now holding the two most senior legal positions in the country.

Lord Wilson who was delivering one of the opening speeches stated amongst other things that “The Law School at Edinburgh is justified in its expression of pride in its two great sons. Today, the whole of Scotland will be celebrating – well except, possibly, in Ibrox.”

Lord Hodge was one of the five justices who found in favour of HMRC but as that was a Scottish case he was always going to be involved in that case. He was also the Court of Session judge who approved Rangers liquidation but again there was nothing he really could do about that.

This might be a private football joke between the two justices but just found it to be a bizarre statement to make by a supreme court justice.

Anyone any ideas as to the back story to this?

Possibly because so many folk thought he was against us when in reality I doubt he could care less about us or them.

Remember being at a Conference for work and Craig Thomson was speaking at it and he was telling a few jokes at our expense also. Seems we are an easy touch and put up less resistance.
Or that judge is just a mentally challenged mess!!

Maybe its just a wee bit of humour mate?
That is exactly how I read it and it must be something related to Hodge but wouldn`t have him cut out to be a football man but could be wrong. Just wondered if anyone knew the background to it.

I have a Brother in Law who is a QC, and a bigger 19th Century Terrorist Bstd you will struggle to meet, he gleefully tells me how many of them are at the top of the tree.

Remember being at a Conference for work and Craig Thomson was speaking at it and he was telling a few jokes at our expense also. Seems we are an easy touch and put up less resistance.
Or that judge is just a mentally challenged mess!!
ironic as there are few bigger jokes than that c0ck

Appreciate this may well be a long shot but bear with me.

Lord Hodge was sworn in as deputy president of the UKSC yesterday which resulted in Scottish justices now holding the two most senior legal positions in the country.

Lord Wilson who was delivering one of the opening speeches stated amongst other things that “The Law School at Edinburgh is justified in its expression of pride in its two great sons. Today, the whole of Scotland will be celebrating – well except, possibly, in Ibrox.”

Lord Hodge was one of the five justices who found in favour of HMRC but as that was a Scottish case he was always going to be involved in that case. He was also the Court of Session judge who approved Rangers liquidation but again there was nothing he really could do about that.

This might be a private football joke between the two justices but just found it to be a bizarre statement to make by a supreme court justice.

Anyone any ideas as to the back story to this?

My immediate reading of that is a joke between colleagues suggesting he is not flavour of the month with Rangers supporters.

My immediate reading of that is a joke between colleagues suggesting he is not flavour of the month with Rangers supporters.
Agreed mate that is exactly what I took out of it.

These guys preside over the most important legal issues in the country but if our thinking is correct it just shows how emotive football is when judgements he played at least a part in almost 8 and 3 years ago still resonate today.

Although these judgements to us were naturally huge in reality they weren`t significant in the legal sense.

I think it's quite simple, as it says in the post.

He was one of the Judges at the Court of Session, who found in favour of HMRC in relation to the big tax case.

He was the Judge who rubber stamped the liquidation of the holding company. He didn't decide anything, just rubber stamped it.

It was a bad "joke" as far as I can see, nothing more than that.

These guys preside over the most important legal issues in the country but if our thinking is correct it just shows how emotive football is when judgements he played at least a part in almost 8 and 3 years ago still resonate today.

Although these judgements to us were naturally huge in reality they weren`t significant in the legal sense.

Absolutely. The emotional aspects around football are insane. Even looking at the intensity of some of the stuff on here at times makes you think folk need to find some perspective in their lives.

That is exactly what it is.

However, these are professional people dealing with the most serious matters of law in the land.

We could certainly not be accused of being over-sensitive at being the punchline of a joke that referenced a massive part of the upheaval of the last decade.

Would Donald Findlay in the 90’s be allowed to make a gag at the expense of getting a murderer off to his pals? Would that just be banter?

That is exactly what it is.

However, these are professional people dealing with the most serious matters of law in the land.

We could certainly not be accused of being over-sensitive at being the punchline of a joke that referenced a massive part of the upheaval of the last decade.

Would Donald Findlay in the 90’s be allowed to make a gag at the expense of getting a murderer off to his pals? Would that just be banter?

I’m not sure your DF hypothetical example is the greatest of comparisons to be honest.

Like any bit “humour” some will like it, some will think little one way or the other and others will be offended/upset.

I’m not sure your DF hypothetical example is the greatest of comparisons to be honest.

Like any bit “humour” some will like it, some will think little one way or the other and others will be offended/upset.

I read that back and it seemed like I was having a go, I wasn’t and point taken.

Simply that anything involving Rangers is sensationalised except when it comes to us being on the receiving end.

Who was the judge that came up with the “common sense” verdict. Ignoring the actual law to find in HMRCs favour was that hodge?

Lord Carloway ? Who also tried and failed to inflict an illegal transfer ban on our club ? Who also deemed in Court that a satirical football chant by Rangers fans was " racist " ?

Judges rule on legal facts. They can't make decisions based on what team they support.
I have a bluenose friend who was a lawyer. I asked if it was only RCs who did law. He said that the bheasts tended to go into criminal law, whereas the good guys tended to do commercial law, where the real money was.

I bet when he bought a 3 year old he was disappointed it was a horse! However, maybe later on things worked out for him.

Are you saying if he had overseen a trial where an allegation of rape had seen the suspect Bill Bloggs acquitted for an alleged assault on Mary Miggins, that had this judge put Mary Miggins name in place of Ibrox, this would have merely been an acceptable in-joke?
I really need you to explain this, because I am personally struggling to see where this can ever be acceptable?

Last edited:
Are you saying if he had overseen a trial where an allegation of rape had seen the suspect Bill Bloggs acquitted for an alleged assault on Mary Miggins, that had this judge put Mary Miggins name in place of Ibrox, this would have merely been an acceptable in-joke?
I really need you to explain this, because I am personally struggling to see where this can ever be acceptable?
Yes unacceptable.
A law lord should never lower themselves to comments like this, he's opened himself up to being biased in any future Trials/decisions. Totally unacceptable imo.

Yes unacceptable.
A law lord should never lower themselves to comments like this, he's opened himself up to being biased in any future Trials/decisions. Totally unacceptable imo.
He has opened himself up to being disrobed had he said this about Manchester United in England, as a for instance.

When you hold a position of such eminent authority in a democracy and cannot exhibit a set of clean hands, then the most fundamental element of that august authority is instantly spent, that is, of course, the very simple cornerstone of trust.
Who in our community, our support or within our club could ever trust this person in any legal matter where our association to Rangers or Ibrox was a matter of the court's knowledge and deliberations?

He has to go, in any decent honest society where integrity in the law was considered of ultimate importance, his position has been made untenable by his own stupidy.
Oh, and by the way, who wants a stupid judge in such a powerful and influential position?

We don t know the full context here,on the surface it looks like a throw away line and an attempt at humour.Neither of these people has a background that would suggest they are anti Rangers.
While we have our haters that we should be concerned with,there is not a conspiracy around every corner.

Another 19th Century Terrorist Bastard in high office place is fucking riddled with them.

Exactly this, no further digging necessary. You are either one of is or you're not. His comments are not what you would attribute to a Rangers man but exactly what you would expect of the jolly craicsters. Said it before a million times , it doesn't matter how high these pricks ascend in life they will never shake that hatred of our institution.

It probably was a poor attempt at humour. I'm not too familiar with what makes a senior Law Lord laugh....

However, clearly Rangers are in a position that these people are quite unguarded in what they say.

The fact that he felt it was worth mentioning makes him a chunt.
Surely disqualifies this comedian from ruling on anything to do with us.

We don t know the full context here,on the surface it looks like a throw away line and an attempt at humour.Neither of these people has a background that would suggest they are anti Rangers.
While we have our haters that we should be concerned with,there is not a conspiracy around every corner.
Why use the word conspiracy?
The mentally challengeds who attacked Jim Traynor and the mentally challengeds who abused Alfie and the Hibs fan who threw the bottle at Borna and the Motherwell fans who showered Alfie with missiles and the journalists who lie about the club constantly and Michael Stewart and Kevin Clancy ... hey guess what they don't know each other and have probably never assembled in a room 'sub rosa'!

What is the context of the supposed joke, can someone explain?
You appear to know the positioning that underpinned this statement as humour.

Why do you assume I know the positioning? Lord Hodge, whom the joke was made about, was involved in our cases.

Lord Wilson, who made the joke, I am not aware of.

Back