Lorenzo Amoruso the player

I could never get past the various lapses in concentration or the wild handball in Parma. I liked him as a guy and he had some powerful performances but too many moments where I wanted to throttle him.

Started off quite mistake prone but once he got to grips with Scottish football was an excellent player.

Speaking of 40 yard freekicks...v Celtic September 98 or 99 (0-0) He hit one right off the bar into the Copland
It was the 02/03 season at Ibrox and you are correct in it being at the Copland end.

We won the game 3-2, the scum scored after 19 seconds.

Yeah, it's mad how people can have different views on players. We all do it.

I'd never say I was right, just how I see it.
It always amuses me - we all see the same thing, yet some think a player is wonderful, some think he’s awful, some in between.

Even with the folk sotting right next to you, they can sometimes seem to see a totally different player.

He was heavily criticised all throughout his time here. When he was on it he was tremendous but he had a frustrating knack of losing concentration at crucial times, against Monaco at Ibrox especially still annoys me.

As someone said above, the passage of time has been very kind to him.

Last edited:
A man of real character.

I saw him booed by his own fans at Ibrox, stripped of the captaincy by Dick Advocaat, hounded by the media in Scotland for an alleged racist comment during a game, hobbling back onto the pitch in an Old Firm semi-final with a bandage over a hole in his thigh, diving full-length to chest aeay a goal-bound shot in an Old Firm Cup Final...

As he said in his autobiography, he would 'never give in.'

Absolutely loved Amoruso, my favourite player until he left and that was in teams containing luminaries like Albertz and Barry Ferguson.

Heart of a lion and ridiculous character to come back from being booed from a section of our own fans to being stripped of the captaincy.

Won two trebles, a legend in my eyes and deserved Hall of Famer.

Loved the guy, was my favourite Rangers player when I was young and probably still up there.

I remember after my first ever Rangers game we were leaving maybe an hour after full time and he was in his car talking to someone out the window, we walked up to get an autograph but left after a couple minutes when it was clear he was in the middle of a conversation with someone he knew. 30 seconds later his car turns up beside us and he gets out to give us an autograph.

Might have made the difference and helped prevent them winning the league in his first season, had he not been injured most of it. That and whatever happened to Negri post Christmas.

I like him but not a hall of famer
How can a double treble winning captain (for one of the trebles) who scored in cup finals, against Celtic and played in some of our best performances in Europe under 3 legendary managers not be considered a hall of famer?

Worth a watch particularly for any younger bears

Thanks for that mate, was a fantastic watch. There’s one thing makes me sad about watching all of these old videos from our golden age, I suppose you could call it, and that’s seeing the fast forward flowing football we used to play……leaves me wondering when we’ll ever see it again, consistently, at this Ibrox!

Erratic and not half the player he thought he was. Had some great games but I'm always absolutely baffled when people have him above the likes of Weir or Bougherra.

Agree.

I never quite forgave for the gaffe against Monaco which cost us qualification out of our Champions League group.

How can a double treble winning captain (for one of the trebles) who scored in cup finals, against Celtic and played in some of our best performances in Europe under 3 legendary managers not be considered a hall of famer?
Get your point when he was good he was good but his Rangers career was tainted with some calamitous errors. Im sure he was humiliated also when he got stripped of the Captaincy in favour of Barry Ferguson, by one of your “Legendary Managers”

I remember he got slated once for playing in Lotto boots with green trim on them, don't think Jimmy Bell would have been too happy at that.

Loved big Amo. Always remember being a wee guy at Ibrox in disbelief at how far he could header a ball out the danger zone. I would say he is worthy of being in our hall of fame

Get your point when he was good he was good but his Rangers career was tainted with some calamitous errors. Im sure he was humiliated also when he got stripped of the Captaincy in favour of Barry Ferguson, by one of your “Legendary Managers”
Name me a player who doesn’t make errors, especially when they play every game. The main point is he was a major part of the last two trebles we achieved.

He went on to play a long time for us and was still a leader after the captaincy was taken off him.

I don’t get the saltiness about the legendary manager. Advocaat won a treble and a double with us, and the decision to make Ferguson captain proved to be best in the long run, no?

I remember the big man being interviewed after the dunfermline 6-1 game and his "Rangers are my life" comment gave me goosebumps and a genuine hope he'd sign a new contract but not to be unfortunately.

Great Rangers centre half.

Ask Sutton and Hartson for reference.

Most ashamed I've felt by the actions of some (sizeable) of our own was him being booed at home vs Dundee United after a mistake. A disgrace.

A leader and a very strong character. We let him leave too early but what a way to finish.

Loved the big man.

I remember getting into a minor altercation in that game after I told someone to shut their fxxking hole.

Guy was pished and sounded like he was at his first game with his pals.

If am not mistaken Amoruso scored as well in that game.

I loved the guy but unfortunately the mistake he made against Monaco cost us so much. Still convinced going out the champions league that year broke team morale and cost us the title

When I think of Amo and Moore it makes me think what a great partnership they had. Also puts to bed the shite about left sided centre backs.
Yup they were great together was Moores best spell Amo was tremendous player would take one like that right now. We just had to accept he was prone to the occasional little error. The only complaint I would have is the wife said she would leave me for him don’t know what happened but she is still here

Name me a player who doesn’t make errors, especially when they play every game. The main point is he was a major part of the last two trebles we achieved.

He went on to play a long time for us and was still a leader after the captaincy was taken off him.

I don’t get the saltiness about the legendary manager. Advocaat won a treble and a double with us, and the decision to make Ferguson captain proved to be best in the long run, no?
like I said on my original post , I like him, on his day he was great, but for me his name doesn’t jump out when I think of Rangers hall of fame.

When I think of Amo and Moore it makes me think what a great partnership they had. Also puts to bed the shite about left sided centre backs.
An example I use when trying to debunk the idea that it’s a must have.
As is Weir and Cuellar.
I’d say it’s an advantage but not a necessity.

Heart in mouth at times but heart on sleeve attitude. Loved big Amo. When he was on it he was great to watch. His shot power was immense.

If people are of the opinion that Tav is a hall of famer, then of course a player with as many trophies won as Amo is worth mentioning. He'd be one of if not our best player if he played for us now, in his prime.

Going by transfer fee inflation, the £6m we paid for him back then, he'd cost £34.5m todays money.

We could never afford a player like him now.

Last edited:
Memories- Dunfermline at Ibrox in to win the league. Led by example that day, hunting everything down and then first out the tunnel after we'd won swinging a couple of t-shirts about like a madman!!

Covered above but could be erratic and stress me out or be very strong.
That’s my overriding memory as well, Amoruso keeping it from going out for a throw in and then putting in the cross for the 3rd? goal.

If people are of the opinion that Tav is a hall of famer, then of course a player with as many trophies won as Amo is worth mentioning. He'd be one of if not our best player if he played for us now, in his prime.

Going by transfer fee inflation, the £6m we paid for him back then, he'd cost £34.5m todays money.

We could never afford a player like him now.

The biggest club in the world at the time wanted him, yet he came here. Changed days.

When he had the sensible head on he was as good as anything I've seen in a Rangers jersey. His performance in Paris was the greatest one man defensive performance until Cuellar in Florence.

Then there was the other side to him - massive brain farts, whoring himself to teams on an almost yearly basis, running his mouth off needlessly in the press, blaming others for his own mistakes

His book is also unintentionally hilarious. If you want to read about some of the best shagging Lorenzo has done or how aspargus turns his pee a funny colour then buy it.

But the guy captained us to a treble. His place in history is assured.

What's your memories of the big man?

3 leagues
3 Scottish cups
3 league cups
1 player of the year

A worthy hall of famer?

I'll never forget seeing that first free kick of his at Parkhead, from about 40 yards out, that was a bawhair from going in, and thinking what have we signed here!

I absolutely adored the big man, and to come back from the stripping of the captaincy into arguably a bigger rock for us was some achievement
Great CB over the piece.
He was prone to the odd lapse in concentration but the bigger the game the better he played.

Big Amo had a cock like a french baguette apparently. I'm not jealous, mine was big enough to fill a pram.
I had the pleasure to be at a dinner with one of his ex girlfriends and after a few drinks asked her about it. She confirmed it was a big yin, said he walked about the house Bollocks, with it slapping off his thighs.

When he had the sensible head on he was as good as anything I've seen in a Rangers jersey. His performance in Paris was the greatest one man defensive performance until Cuellar in Florence.

Then there was the other side to him - massive brain farts, whoring himself to teams on an almost yearly basis, running his mouth off needlessly in the press, blaming others for his own mistakes

His book is also unintentionally hilarious. If you want to read about some of the best shagging Lorenzo has done or how aspargus turns his pee a funny colour then buy it.

But the guy captained us to a treble. His place in history is assured.
I can't recall this at all?

It's rubbish that defenders mistakes are more commonly remembered than all the good they do.

Loved Amo and the way he attacked the ball in the air. It made me a better headerer of a ball as a youth but also the reason I have a few scars from missing the baw and headering folk

I can't recall this at all?
That’s because it never happened. Any time he was linked away (West Ham, Sunderland etc) - he was adamant he wanted to stay. In the end, the Club wanted him off the books because of his high wages and Souness took him down the road to Blackburn.

Back