Losing a game.

OohAhHuistra

Official Ticketer
Its not the end of the world as some on here portray, we've been beaten by a better team at this stage & we've took worse beatings off much worse.

There really isn't a need in almost every player being questioned constantly, until the second goal we were right in it and as always th second goal of the game 9/10 sealed it. We've got Sunday now for a day of celebration.

Come on Huistra. Every single one of them is shite. Gerrard doesn’t know how to make a sub and the tea lady doesn’t even know how to use the fucking kettle! :rolleyes:
Lyon will walk this group. They still had levels to go up if they needed imo. On par with that Leverkusen team from the other season imo.
I'm quite glad I forgot to charge phone as I left yesterday, I'd have been happy to get a point over these two games with Lyon.

Said on here and going to game last night a draw would be a great result. They're a class above us is what it is. I can't get irate about getting done by teams of their level tbh.

It's silly if we are being honest. A bit better finishing and pressing last night and I don't think we would have been far away, but at the end of the day, they play to a higher level than us.

People that are wondering why Kent isn't running riot against these teams because he can do it here, are nuts.

It's silly if we are being honest. A bit better finishing and pressing last night and I don't think we would have been far away, but at the end of the day, they play to a higher level than us.

People that are wondering why Kent isn't running riot against these teams because he can do it here, are nuts.
People expect us to control it how we do at home to the likes of Motherwell, sadly it just doesn't work that way. Finding it hard to be raging this mornin

No big deal, I thought the game was pretty even overall. First goal was unstoppable and the second was just unlucky from us.

Sparta and Brondby were always the ones we should have been looking to take points off home and away.

Weirdly with Lyon, every time we have played each other the away team has won without conceding.

No big deal, I thought the game was pretty even overall. First goal was unstoppable and the second was just unlucky from us.

Sparta and Brondby were always the ones we should have been looking to take points off home and away.

Weirdly with Lyon, every time we have played each other the away team has won without conceding.
You seen the difference the first 10/15 minutes of 2nd half. They obviously came out with instructions to get the 2nd early and finish it. We couldn't really get close when they upped it to get the 2nd. Once they got that they were happy to see it out.

We play them over there they'll be through and with 1st place guaranteed imo as I see them winning their next 4. Hopefully they play some of the fringe players if we are needing something from the game.

Its not the end of the world as some on here portray, we've been beaten by a better team at this stage & we've took worse beatings off much worse.

There really isn't a need in almost every player being questioned constantly, until the second goal we were right in it and as always th second goal of the game 9/10 sealed it. We've got Sunday now for a day of celebration.
Well said

I know, the negativity after losing a game against a better side can be off the charts sometimes

the problem isn’t getting beat, its the tactics that lead to it. Our best chance of getting something IMO was starting quickly and getting in their faces. Instead we did what we seem to do in every game against good opponents now and decided to sit off them. Not only does this slow the game down it’s sucks all the atmosphere out the ground

I totally agree Lyon were a far superior team to us but Malmo and Dundee United are not and this is now our 4th defeat of the season.
Also when we have to step up that little bit in quality we are really struggling to do so.
Our midfield needed a huge overhaul in the summer but we have added Kelly and Lundstram and Bacuna and only one has had a chance and been 5/10 at best.

Well said mate

I think the frustrating part is, yes, Lyon are a decent team but on our day we can beat teams similar to Lyon. You’re right it isn’t a disaster as many are portraying it as. But there is room for improvement. Not signing a quality midfielder who can unlock defences kinda showed last night.

They scored a wonder goal and an og. They offered very little else in terms of chances while we had a few chances of our own.

It was a pretty even game against a team better than us. A team I don't think are as good as made out on here but better than us.

Lyon were levels above us and stepped it up in the second half and we couldn’t live it it. Aside from their goal, we were arguably the better side in the first half.

They scored a wonder goal and an og. They offered very little else in terms of chances while we had a few chances of our own.

It was a pretty even game against a team better than us. A team I don't think are as good as made out on here but better than us.

They are the highest ranked side in the competition. They are as good as made out on here.

They are 12th in the UEFA club co-efficient rankings, above Tottenham and Dortmund. A decent pedigree in Europe and they are usually at the top end of the table in France most seasons, which is a top 5 league.

They are quite a good team.

I'm sure people would realise that if we had spent what Lyon have on transfers over the past few years we'd be a much stronger team than we are now. It obviously makes a difference. They're at a higher level and may well give PSG a run this year. We can take lessons from the game but for heaven's sake we should be able to finish above Brondby.

They are the highest ranked side in the competition. They are as good as made out on here.
Somoeone said they are the best team we have faced under Gerrard.

Leverkusen played us off the park and were much better.

Good team though, no doubt.

Tbf that was midway through a season. Leverkusen were in full flow by then. This is Lyon's first European game of the season. They'll likely get better.

They are definitely in the conversation for best teams we've played in Gerrard's tenure. No question about that.

Lyon played a Champions League semi final last August. If people think they didn't look any better than Porto or Benfica then maybe it's because they didn't need to get out of 2nd gear to beat us. We had 2 or 3 spells in the game where we could've got something back, but they were comfortable most of the time. We're just not at their level, nothing to get upset about.

Right I’m from the old school,the last 15 mins last night when we went long with balls from the back we looked a lot better and they didn’t like it,so why when we are up against opposition who are more technical better than us in the midfield why even try,the mistakes in that area cost us both goals,why not push right up on them and go long all game the midfield wouldn’t use as much energy either..no?

I think you could toss a coin between that Leverkusen side and Lyon tbh

They are easily the best side we have faced at this stage of the tournament.

I actually quite enjoyed the first half last night. Think it was even but they came up with the moment of quality that put them ahead. The second half was more one sided in my opinion as they came out and went up a level or two that we couldn’t match.
All in all tonight was a bit of a free hit, the expectation will come in the next four games where I would expect us to get something from each of them.

I looked at the team selection and thought it was defensive. We badly missed Hagi for me as he's always a goal threat and has the killer pass to open up a defence. Our midfield was lethargic yet again and we didn't complete with the Lyon in that department. Our defence more or less picks itself due to injuries. Up front they was little service to Morelos. Another poor performance from the team and the management team were to slow to make substitutions yet again.

Lyon are a good side but we didn’t play well. The Rangers side of the group stages last season would have given them a game.

It’s mid September and we have barely kicked a ball both on the European front and domestically.

I said exactly the same walking out the ground last night. I don’t think they were as good as Benfica or Porto, definitely not Leverkusen.
I watched the highlights this morning and if we take one of our chances in the first half I think they were there for the taking.
Apart from a very good goal McGregor had nothing to do in the first half.
My only issue with the team is we were to safe, you can see with the starting line up we were inviting them onto us as we had nobody to burst from midfield.
The gap between midfield and attack was too big and that’s where they started picking up every second ball and controlling the game.

Lyon are a good side but we didn’t play well. The Rangers side of the group stages last season would have given them a game.

It’s mid September and we have barely kicked a ball both on the European front and domestically.

I think we played not bad. Not great but well enough. Especially in the first half. If we'd played badly they'd have cuffed us quite easily. People aren't quite grasping the difference in quality between the two teams. Last August Lyon were a game away from a CL final, after knocking out one of the favourites in Man City and losing to the eventual winners in Bayern Munich.

People have been hyper critical since Malmö/Dundee United imo. Every single flaw has been magnified and poured over thread after thread. We are top of the league and we're in the Europa League group stages. Things aren't as awful as they seem. We were all disappointed by how poorly we played in the CL qualifiers but people have carried that negativity since then and decided that every single game has been terrible (they haven't been imo). We've not been our free flowing best, but injuries/Covid/suspensions have played a huge part in that. Our new signings struggling to make an immediate impact has also played a role and it's left everyone thinking things are stale or stagnant.

Some of the takes on social media in particular are bizarre. Elements of last night frustrated me, and it was disappointing not to make them work harder for their goals, but we play they Lyon side 100 times, and they’ll beat us 99 of those. That’s just the reality of the gulf between playing squads.

Wells said OP. I thought we done well last night. If Kent doesn't make the two mistakes and his shot goes the other side of the post we could have had people on here saying how amazing we are and tipping us for a run to the final.

On reflection, Lyon were a lot better than I gave initial credit for. They were up there with Porto and Leverkusen levels we have faced.

But I still don't feel criticism is unwarranted.

Yes we had chances, but for a huge part of last night it was another disjointed lack of urgency and cohesion performance.

As fans, especially on European nights we urge the team on to raise the levels. We were poor in spells again last night though, and it's frustrating. No Malmo second half frustrating, but still.

There was something in that for us last night, but we just couldn't find it. We didn't get at them and played within ourselves for two many spells in the match. We didn't play like a team that has mixed it with Benfica, Porto and the likes.

Doesn't make us a terrible team, but does leave us open to questioning.

I can’t really get worked up about losing to a team which included 6 of a starting 11 from the Champions League Semi Finals just over a year ago, and has added a World Cup winner and the guy who started at LB for the team that won the Euros this summer.

We could certainly have played better but equally I think they had another gear or two if they needed it.

I always find myself pretty much in the middle of panty wetting and sugar coating.

We’ve lost 4 games this season and it’s September. We didn’t lose a game until mid December last a season.

Weve played remarkably well in Europe over the last couple of seasons and at times looked like we outclassed the likes of Porto and benfica.

Our levels have dropped considerably. That much is true

Reactions: BWO
Sometimes you just need to hold your hands up and say the better team won.
That’s what happened last night.
Imagine how mental this place would have been in the 90s when Walters teams were beaten by teams like Juve and Ajax etc

First time using FF mate? B-)

Didn't think we were that bad last night .2 very sloppy goals and bad in possession. quality teams will punnish you at this level

It wasn’t just an isolated performance though.

We’ve not produced one performance this season that has been good for 90 minutes.

We’ve failed to show up in 5/5 European games. Done by Malmö twice despite a man advantage, struggled through against plumbers from Armenia.

Throw in our performances against Dundee Utd, St Johnstone first half, Celtic first half.

Unless we start bucking up our ideas we’ll drop points as we won’t grind out a 1 goal win every week playing the way we have been.

I personally blame the change in system. IMO it has nullified Kent and our full backs are nowhere near as effective going forward especially being forced to cross from 40 yards from goal

Back