Losing a game.

They had international players from the likes of Italy, Belgium, France, and Germany, and their top earners will be around £60-£70K a week. Our top earners are around £25-30k a week, as far as I am aware. In that sense, you could see the difference in quality.

We came very close via Lundstrum, Kent, and Tav’s free kick, and had any went in then it is a different game. We were still in it right up to about 80 odd minutes, when things started to go a little flat on the pitch.

No disgrace losing to that team.

Its not the end of the world as some on here portray, we've been beaten by a better team at this stage & we've took worse beatings off much worse.

There really isn't a need in almost every player being questioned constantly, until the second goal we were right in it and as always th second goal of the game 9/10 sealed it. We've got Sunday now for a day of celebration.

Last night was as far away as a season definer we could get.

And we hardly showed ourselves up either.

Everything is always black or white on here though.

I'm sure people would realise that if we had spent what Lyon have on transfers over the past few years we'd be a much stronger team than we are now. It obviously makes a difference. They're at a higher level and may well give PSG a run this year. We can take lessons from the game but for heaven's sake we should be able to finish above Brondby.
They're 7 points behind PSG after 5 games, plenty of time to turn it around and they may well prove me wrong but I doubt they'll be anywhere close to giving PSG a run.

Its not the end of the world as some on here portray, we've been beaten by a better team at this stage & we've took worse beatings off much worse.

There really isn't a need in almost every player being questioned constantly, until the second goal we were right in it and as always th second goal of the game 9/10 sealed it. We've got Sunday now for a day of celebration.
you coming to KP louden

Its September, we are top of the league, beaten our biggest rivals and have just lost to the best team in the competition in Europe.

We havent hit anything like top gear and yet this is where we are. Much more to come from us.

I always find myself pretty much in the middle of panty wetting and sugar coating.

We’ve lost 4 games this season and it’s September. We didn’t lose a game until mid December last a season.

Weve played remarkably well in Europe over the last couple of seasons and at times looked like we outclassed the likes of Porto and benfica.

Our levels have dropped considerably. That much is true
We have to be realistic though and look back at last season being a complete one off. We've had a disrupted pre-season then throw in the injuries and COVID hitting us far harder this season it's going to take an effect on the team.

We were playing a side last night where 6 of their starters were involved in beating Juventus then Man City in the Champions league tournament played over the summer last year before losing to the eventual winners of the competition.

For us to beat Lyon, we need our top players, in every position starting and turning in minimum 7/10 shifts.

Last night we huffed and puffed a wee bit and lost 2 goals through carelessness.

Lyon played a very clever game, particularly 2nd half and deservedly won.

We have, and will again, lose to teams nowhere Lyon's level.

Sometimes we have to remember games in Scotland are too straightforward on a weekly basis as we, basically never or only 4 times a year, face teams with the technical, physical and game-awareness of the likes of ourselves never mind Lyon.

We can make mistakes decision wise and ball retention wise and get away with it more often than not. Then our higher quality gets us through.

When we play top-level teams the difference is all too noticeable.

Can we match them? Yes, but we need to be 'right at it' technically and concentration wise from the first whistle.

Put it to bed, we carry on and take the game to Brondby and Sparta, games we are more likely to take points from without having to play the game of our season to do so.

Quite simply, we should be beating every single team that we play. Nothing less.

If we dare to draw or worse we lose a game, then it generally means we are absolutely shit, and the manager needs to go, along with every ballboy.

If you think I'm joking, then that's fine with me too. :))

I fancied us to beat them.

I genuinely thought it was an even game, neither side creates anything major in general - 0-0 would have been a fair result.

Haven’t watched it back, but the first goal in particular was unbelievable to concede considering Kent should have played us though on goal.

Just logged in here and can see the usual folk greeting, it’s utterly depressing.

Lyon will walk this group. They still had levels to go up if they needed . On par with that Leverkusen team from the other season imo.
Yes, as disappointing as it was, we need to recognise that this is a team with superior players and a far bigger operating budget.

Guys like Aouar are too good for Lyon, let alone the EL.

And it took a worldie finish an a fluke OG to beat us
I’m not sure I would say a worldie finish but a very accomplished one. I was right behind the passage of the ball, in the Govan front and it was like a car crash moment. It seemed to slow down and you could see it curling round Shagger and into the net.

I’ll go against the grain, Lyon were decent nothing better, we had too many not at it.

All this Lyon could’ve went up gears I’m not having, we had too many not turn up making them look better than they actually were, the stats show possession was split 50/50 our passing accuracy was better. Fine margins, a wonder goal and an OG, we had more attempts. I think McGregor has made one save in Europe all season and it still led to a goal.

We just haven’t started the season well at all. If Davis isn’t on it we aren’t on it unless Kent can come up with some magic. Kent hasn’t looked fully fit all season and Davis looked like someone nearly 37 last night.

I didn’t think there was a lot in it last night TBH. They just took a couple of chances.

We were poor in a few positions though. Kent, Davis, Aribo and Kamara were all poor.

Thought our defence played well though and Balogun was immense. He’s really moved up a level since the OF game. Just at the right time too with big Fil injured.

I can’t criticise the team too much but if we were at the levels we’ve come to expect in Europe I think we could have got a better result.

We were beaten by a far better team. Forget disruptions to our pre-season, covid issues, and injuries. We were poor, and Lyon punished us for it. They are a level above us.

I can’t criticise the team too much but if we were at the levels we’ve come to expect in Europe I think we could have got a better result.

I would agree with that, we all know we haven't been hitting the heights of last season. I'm hoping this test against such quality served to kick them up a gear.

I don't think it was the actual getting beat by Lyon that everyone is shouting about its the lacklustre performances since the start of the season. No one in their right mind would expect us to take apart a side of Lyon's quality.

Lyon were much better than us and there is no shame in losing to teams like that. I thought we put in a decent performance and gave a good account of ourselves.
what may be giving people a cause for concern os not the Lyon game in isolation but the performance this season as a whole

Agreed.

It’s more the performance and performances over the season that’s getting to people - we’re missing something in comparison to last year.

But anyone thinking we should be beating Lyon easily or - in all honesty - even topping the EL group is beyond hopeful.

Maybe i’m a sour faced bass (not really a maybe is it?)
We had probably a month of celebration when we won the league. Sunday is all business for me. 3 points and a commanding performance

Good post bro. We have massively punched above our weight in Europe. That was very much a 50/50 game on Thursday and key moments, at both ends, just went against us on the night.

I'm amazed the lengths posters are going, to demonstrate how 'shite' we are too. St Johnstone away and Tims first half being used as a stick to beat us with, for example?

Celtic in particular is mind boggling. Did anyone even bother to listen to Gary Mac post game, and get an insight to our game plan that day? It was blatantly obvious after about 20 minutes what we were doing and it was executed perfectly but, it seems many on here have bought the Tim media narrative, that Celtic outclassed us first half because their defenders passed the ball around amongst themselves for a wee while. This was all on top of us being decimated by injury, our Captain and Manager missing and followed an energy sapping away tie in Europe, where we qualified for the EL group stages for the 4th straight year.

Some in our support really are turning into spoilt, entitled brats and the bigger picture seems to be lost about where we are just now. I'm even reading wallopers saying shit like 'the board can't dine out on 55 forever'. Honestly where do you even start with that?

Back