Loss of aggression in the latter half of the season

ClubDeckBear

Just re-watched a lot of the games from this season's European run on RTV and it looks as if we've lost a lot of aggression in our movement, passing and pressing.

One or two touches and most balls played quickly to feet. You can see the team focusing on retaining possession but there's a purpose to it. The short passes are much quicker which draws the opposition out which leaves gaps. Our off the ball movement is much more aggressive as well so there are actually options for the forward ball to be played when those gaps occur.

If the forward ball is unsucessful, there are 2 or 3 Rangers players pressing immediately to win the ball back. It's coordinated and even though we are defending higher up the park, we don't look like we're going to get caught out (Game in Moscow aside).

In the Vienna and Villareal games at Ibrox especially, a good portion of the passes are switches to drag the opponent from A to B and create gaps that way. It's not "Tav 4 touches, up to DC 5 touches, back to Tav back to Goldson, across to Worrall, out to Barisic, up to Kent". It's "Tav, one touch, head up, ball to Kent".

We don't get as much space domestically because the teams are tinpot and sit 10 men behind the ball but the principal is surely the same? If we press in packs to get the ball back, pen them in by staying high (not getting deeper as game goes on and IMO inviting pressure), move the ball quicker and be more aggressive in our off the ball movement then we can go toe to toe with some great teams and break down the defences of **** teams.

Anyone else noticed this? Are we tired? Do we have no confidence left? Can we only motivate ourselves for glamour games?

I think there’s an argument that we are tired. I also think there’s an argument things got tough and they chucked it.
Tricky one. Love this squad and management team but you can't deny the pattern in our performances against a particular style of team.

Tricky one. Love this squad and management team but you can't deny the pattern in our performances against a particular style of team.

We came off a rest and an old firm win and got beat after leading at Kilmarnock. That told me everything I needed to know unfortunately. Mentally fragile. If we got pipped because we weren’t as good as them it would have been acceptable but unfortunately this season we have just bottled it game after game. Roll on next year.

We came off a rest and an old firm win and got beat after leading at Kilmarnock. That told me everything I needed to know unfortunately. Mentally fragile. If we got pipped because we weren’t as good as them it would have been acceptable but unfortunately this season we have just bottled it game after game. Roll on next year.
I agree to an extent but I don't think we've been more than a goal down this season apart from that sh*tshow against the sheep? Which tells that we're up for the fight, don't give up and put the effort in but maybe that the mental fragility is inexperience and lack of cunning?

At the start In Europe we looked to have a solid defence, also inthe league . We should have been well ahead in this league,. People could say that septic dropped a lot of points as well, but most of their games they deserved to drop them, our points dropped shouldn't have happend. Look at the games where we were outplaying teams, and ended up with no points or one.. It looked as if our Manager was unsure of his starting eleven. He will know this himself and I am certain he will get it right, no surrender

Is it possibly we are given too much of the ball and over complicating things. Instead of the quick one touch triangle passes, dragging opposition players around and spaces opening up as CDB said, thug teams seem quite happy to sit tight and let our centre backs have the ball knowing they'll give the ball away which opens us up to a quick breakaway

Back