Louis Moult

If the answer is 'Louis Moult', then we're in a worse position than we realise.

He's a Motherwell level player, every day of the week, scoring goals without pressure, spotlight or expectation.

The mere streetlights on Edmiston Drive would reduce him to jelly.

No thanks.

The fact that he has scored regularly against both us and the Scum would paint a very different picture .

He's no world beater but of what I've seen of Miller and Herrera this season he's a better player.

An embarrassing, ridiculous post. You don't have a scooby how he would turn out in a Rangers jersey.

He averages a goal every two games for Motherwell and would cost 5 times less than Herrera. It's a no brainer. Even if your ''gut instinct'' is correct we would easily punt him down south for a small profit.

He's 25 years old, and in his senior career (the last 7 years) he's been out on loan six times, has been transferred for free twice. In that time (outwith Motherwell) he has scored a grand total of 45 goals - not even 10 a season. If he's so great, why didn't the giants of Wrexham, Nuneaton, Northampton, Aldershot, Alfreton, Accrington, Mansfield or Bradford snap him up ??

If he's your idea of the future for Rangers, that's up to you, but to label anyone who disagrees with your assessment as 'embarrassing and ridiculous' is as arrogant as it is self-important. I've met many Rangers fans in my lifetime, and I respect them all. Thankfully, few are as arrogant and haughty as you.

He's 25 years old, and in his senior career (the last 7 years) he's been out on loan six times, has been transferred for free twice. In that time (outwith Motherwell) he has scored a grand total of 45 goals - not even 10 a season. If he's so great, why didn't the giants of Wrexham, Nuneaton, Northampton, Aldershot, Alfreton, Accrington, Mansfield or Bradford snap him up ??

If he's your idea of the future for Rangers, that's up to you, but to label anyone who disagrees with your assessment as 'embarrassing and ridiculous' is as arrogant as it is self-important. I've met many Rangers fans in my lifetime, and I respect them all. Thankfully, few are as arrogant and haughty as you.

I have to say, I don't know much about him. But. Given what you said there, it screams of a warburton signing. Albeit seems to have found a home/level with Motherwell.

The fact that he has scored regularly against both us and the Scum would paint a very different picture .

He's no world beater but of what I've seen of Miller and Herrera this season he's a better player.
I have to say, I don't know much about him. But. Given what you said there, it screams of a warburton signing. Albeit seems to have found a home/level with Motherwell.

There's no doubt about it, he is on fire just now with Motherwell. He has found a niche and is doing just fine with them. I just don't believe that he would successfully transfer that form to Ibrox. I'm prepared to accept that I could be proven wrong, but I genuinely think the Rangers shirt and the expectation would see him freeze.

There's no doubt about it, he is on fire just now with Motherwell. He has found a niche and is doing just fine with them. I just don't believe that he would successfully transfer that form to Ibrox. I'm prepared to accept that I could be proven wrong, but I genuinely think the Rangers shirt and the expectation would see him freeze.

You are entitled to your opinion.
But some players who are sure to be a success fail badly and the other way round ,
Can't tell anything about a player till he pulls the strip on .

How many games has Herrera started for us, yet he has been written off already. Absolute madness.

Most people haven't written him off but we are 2 months in to the season and he's not been deemed good enough to start more than one game that was weeks ago.

I would have Moult over Miller any day .
Herrera may come good but who knows.

You are entitled to your opinion.
But some players who are sure to be a success fail badly and the other way round ,
Can't tell anything about a player till he pulls the strip on .
Whilst there's truth in your post Bro - I wouldn't take the gamble. For me personally, there can be no more gambling with our future and no more short-term fixes. After everything we've been through, Rangers now need as sure fire a certainty as it's possible to get. Our time for projects and guinea pigs is done. If our fortunes don't maintain a positive trajectory, we could be facing another calamitous change of manager. For me, Louis Moult would be a gamble that I simply wasn't prepared to take. Others may disagree.

Whilst there's truth in your post Bro - I wouldn't take the gamble. For me personally, there can be no more gambling with our future and no more short-term fixes. After everything we've been through, Rangers now need as sure fire a certainty as it's possible to get. Our time for projects and guinea pigs is done. If our fortunes don't maintain a positive trajectory, we could be facing another calamitous change of manager. For me, Louis Moult would be a gamble that I simply wasn't prepared to take. Others may disagree.

While I agree with you in a way we ain't going to go out and sign a 4-5 million pound striker even at that it still may not work.

I still say Herrera will come good if given a proper run in the team. It's interesting that everyone always wants who we didn't sign, and who we let go.
O'Halloran got slaughtered on here last season and is now a world beater? Moult would be the same in my opinion - not any better than Waghorn and worse than Garner

Moult is far better than any of our strikers outwith Morelos.

Just because Moult isn't an 18 y/o up and coming exotic sounding player, doesn't mean he cannot be a success at Rangers.

I would not be dissatisfied if we tried to sign him in January.

The Billy Mehmet of 2017

The folk wanting us to sign him are the no doubt the same who championed Lee Miller and Michael Higdon

We should have signed him instead of Herrera. Proven SPL goalscorer & much cheaper.

Even the reddit mexican football threads were querying why we would want to sign Herrera & he has shown absolutely nothing which suggests they are wrong.

We should have signed him instead of Herrera. Proven SPL goalscorer & much cheaper.

Even the reddit mexican football threads were querying why we would want to sign Herrera & he has shown absolutely nothing which suggests they are wrong.
He's a target man. It must be really knowledgeable on Reddit if they wonder why a Scottish club would sign a target man who is the same style as Adam Rooney or Louis Moult.

We can't afford to take a punt on unknown foreign players anymore. At least moult and similar uk players are familiar with the game here.

I'd have brought him in there in the last window.
Last time I saw a big marauder that could put himself about with decent pace AND score goals was Mark Hateley.

Decent pace. That's not something you can apply to Moult, not by any stretch of the imagination

We can't afford to take a punt on unknown foreign players anymore. At least moult and similar uk players are familiar with the game here.

We've just finished clearing out the last of Warburton's failed signings who were brought to the club under the very same logic folk like yourself are now advocating we return to.

Our support is like a yo-yo.

We sign Scottish and English lower-league players under the previous manager because 'they know what it's all about'. They fail to make any significant impact and we start to hanker for a better calibre of European standard player. We appoint a manger who can attract that level of player. He does attract that level of player. And now things are a bit rocky and already we have folk less than 6 months later calling for us to return to the British lower-league standard of player because these johnny-foreigner types 'don't know what its all about'.

Absolutely bizarre cycle of logic.

Was informed that an EPL scout - who's also a Bear - contacted the club and recommended Moult be signed before the season before last.

Don't shoot the messenger!

He scores goals in the league we're in.

Put him in a Rangers team against the same opposition, space gets tighter, opponents bust a gut against you and refs turn a blind eye against every bad tackle against you, yet will happily book you for looking at them the wrong way.

I see comments he's not "Rangers class."

He's better than Miller's currently performing.

Whether or not the jersey's too big for him, there's only 1 way to find out.

You stated Moult would freeze playing in a Rangers jersey. His legs would turn to jelly. There's absolutely no logical way of coming to that conclusion hence why I said it was a ridiculous statement. If you can predict the future that easily then I wouldn't mind next weeks correct lotto numbers. I couldn't care less what he's done or who he's played for previously, the fact is he's been scoring goals in the league we compete in week in, week out, consistently for the past two seasons. He's turned 25 this year, some players just develop into better players later into their career.

Have you seen our strike force? Miller turns 38 this year and is toiling badly. The jury is still out on Herrera but my initials impressions are that he's a carthorse, an expensive one at that. We are literally relying on a 21 year old Colombian who's just arrived from Finland. We are incredibly lucky that we may have just found a gem in him and he's hit the ground running. Make no mistake about it, if he picks up a long term injury we are in big, big trouble.

Louis Moult is out of contract in the summer and I can't imagine Motherwell being able to turn down £250/300k for him in the January window. To say his signing would be a gamble is absolutely bizarre and befuddling. It would literally be the opposite of a gamble. Signing two players from Mexico for the best part of £4m where the culture is different, the style of football is different, the weather is significantly different. That is a gamble. Signing Louis Moult who has been scoring goals consistently in our league for the past two seasons and would cost a small fee and a basic wage is not a gamble.

I doubt we have much funds left given what we spent during the summer. We are not going to spend another £2m or £3m on a player this season, hence why people are suggesting guys like Louis Moult. If there's a player available for a small fee who could possibly offer more than what we currently have then I think we should make a move. You may well be correct, he could just be another Higdon but you can't tell until he signs and plays for us. As I've said previously, worst case scenario he's a dud and we punt him down south. It's not a signing that would cripple us financially.

We'd be able to get Moult for next to nothing in January, he'd be a Great asset for sure.
He can header and shoot, and is GREAT at closing down as shown when he played against us.
Only a fool would say no imo.

Well he sure did against us ?

Hmmmm. Hard not to be suspicious here

He absolutely did not and you're next post has to be a wind up really. Only a full would say no to a 25 year old journeyman on a purple patch? Aye nae bother

Hmmmm. Hard not to be suspicious here

He absolutely did not and you're next post has to be a wind up really. Only a full would say no to a 25 year old journeyman on a purple patch? Aye nae bother

The same could be said for Scott McDonald before signing for the vermin. Loan spells at Huddersfield Town and Bournemouth. Didn't work out for him at Wimbledon either.

Similar age, similar goal scoring record for Motherwell. For £700k he was a good signing for them. You just never know how players will turn out.

The same could be said for Scott McDonald before signing for the vermin. Loan spells at Huddersfield Town and Bournemouth. Didn't work out for him at Wimbledon either.

Similar age, similar goal scoring record for Motherwell. For £700k he was a good signing for them. You just never know how players will turn out.

True but McDonald had bags more ability, that's clear as day. I reckon with Moult you'd be lucky if he even got to Stephen Thompson status with us

True but McDonald had bags more ability, that's clear as day. I reckon with Moult you'd be lucky if he even got to Stephen Thompson status with us

I can't say I remember that clearly from 10 years ago. I can't say I know much about his all round ability. I have only watched him in games against us and weekly highlights. But what can't be denied is that he has been scoring goals fairly consistently in our league. He has two goals against us and four against the vermin in his career. I'm making an assumption, but I don't believe Motherwell are in a position to be turning down 250-300k for a player with 6 months left on his current contract. If we were to get him for that amount I think it would be low risk and decent value and here's my reasoning:

Take a look at his goals last season, take note of the amount of goals scored from crosses. The percentage is high. I made it 13 out of 18 - 72%. 2 goals were from the penalty spot which would make it 81% from open play. Given the way we play and the amount of crosses we throw into the oppositions box it would be logical to believe that for a fee of around £300k and a basic wage that he would not only improve us but flourish.

Last edited:
He's a target man. It must be really knowledgeable on Reddit if they wonder why a Scottish club would sign a target man who is the same style as Adam Rooney or Louis Moult.

It was more that they were bemused given they viewed Herrera as a relatively poor player lacking in quality (with a poor goalscoring record) as opposed to his style of play.

I think the guy looks good value but you're point about arrogant posters is spot on.

Remember Jamie Vardy was playing for Fleetwood late in his career, Prso was a mechanic. So ruling players out totally because of their early career isn't always a wise move.

he scores goals in the spl against other teams what else do we want ? does it look like miller and herrera could do this ? its not looking likely.

It is also important to separate the two issues:

Moult being good/bad has no influence on Herrera being good/bad.

I'd have probably signed neither on balance.

Is he better than what we have? Debatable.
Does he score regularly against SPL fodder? Yes.
Do we need to score more in the SPL? Yes.

The guy clearly isnt a champions league level player but I think he would do a job for us.

Dorran's is a Rangers fan. Alves is 36.

Weiss is earning a fortune. If you think that was a goer you're wired to the moon

He was just about begging to come back all summer and has stated on more than one occasion he would love to come back. We chose to sign Pena instead. Lol

Watched him closely tonight. I have no doubt he's a decent striker. We should be all over him if Motherwell are willing to deal at around £300k.

Looked decent tonight
He ain’t gonna cut it in the champions league but would be a good striker in this league

Back