Low viewing figures for Old Firm on Sky

No incentive for people to tune into it.

Not competitive
Standard is appalling
Atmosphere is nothing special

Part of the atmosphere answer maybe, but I do a bit of work in the north of England and the comments I get from English supporters is that some of our grounds look amateur, they lack a professionalism.
Our stadia look like non league fare.
I do get pretty embarrassed when challenged on stadia with whole stands draped in banners, hiding seats, three sided stadia, plastic pitches and toy grounds like some we have.
These are comments from the guys I speak to although I can't help agreeing.

Part of the atmosphere answer maybe, but I do a bit of work in the north of England and the comments I get from English supporters is that some of our grounds look amateur, they lack a professionalism.
Our stadia look like non league fare.
I do get pretty embarrassed when challenged on stadia with whole stands draped in banners, hiding seats, three sided stadia, plastic pitches and toy grounds like some we have.
These are comments from the guys I speak to although I can't help agreeing.
Agreed. Grounds like Thistle, Hamilton, Ross County, (ICT and Falkirk when they are in top flight) etc are a joke. Many of these barely have three stands. Looks awful. Far better non-league grounds on England.

People in the game and "running" the game have no "can do" attitude. They sit and rest on their laurels with no innovation, imagination or progressive thinking. It's the typical lazy attitude of many things in Scotland.

I'd imagine more people down south subscribe to sky as they get more value for money on games they will watch.

Scotland on the other hand have very few games to justify the cost so choose to stream.

Not saying this is the only reason viewing figures are low but it will be a factor
You seem to be saying folk up here only subscribe to Sky to watch Scottish football.

[QUO TE="MisterEd, post: 231406, member: 7133"]According to the official figures only 275,ooo watched the Old Firm game on Sky last week.

That compares unfavourably to over 400,000 for the Sheffield derby in the Championship.

No chance of getting any more money from Sky for the next contract.[/QUOTE]

Should we really be surprised?
Remember there was/is a boycott on Sky by bears.
Looking at logically though, there's a huge amount of bears who watch these games in groups in pubs and clubs. Lets not forget online viewing as well.
Taking all that into account, we have to accept that Rangers v Them means less and less to anyone outside either support these days. Scottish football has all the appeal of Norwegian, Slovenian or Bosnian on a global level.

According to the official figures only 275,ooo watched the Old Firm game on Sky last week.

That compares unfavourably to over 400,000 for the Sheffield derby in the Championship.

No chance of getting any more money from Sky for the next contract.

400,000 for the sheffield derby, must be over a 1 million tunning in on saturday for Liverpool v Man Utd

Unfortunately Scottish football has been in decline for several years. Without being narcissistic it nosedived when we left the top tier and now it is hanging on via its life support machine that is Rangers. I don't think it can ever recover. There are teams in the third tier of English football that are bigger than half of our 'Premier' League. The Scottish football authorities fail to promote and grow our game. They are too busy constructing their own downfall for that.

Another example of their failure is the loss of a deal with American satellite broadcasters. For them [the broadcasters] the few million Pounds contract would have been like pennies in the pot given their subscriber base and the exchange rate, but even at that they would rather not bother.

Play each other far too much and anyone outside Scotland. Really doesn't give a shit about our league. As it's so bad.

Their atmosphere is vastly overrated...watched a tiny bit of PSG game and it was deathly silent. They have YNWA and then 5 minutes of "Celtic, Celtic..." and then they sit down. Last time we offered ANY challenge was away game (1-1) and they were quiet as mice as game went on....it is EASY to be colourful when on top. I well recall the 90s and flag day, bog roll day etc...we were rampant and so ideas came flowing.
Loved potato day

Wonder how many watch it on kodi sticks dodgy boxes and on their computers. If sky reduced their prices im sure loads more would subscribe

WATP

I watched the April match in a pub in York. The pub had a few screens and put the game on one of them for me. I was the only one watching it, although I think there was a Mhank came in later. Most of the other punters watched the F1 qualifying until the York City v Forest Green game started.

In all honesty, if I was not not a Rangers fan and supported an English team I wouldn't go out my way to watch this. If I wasn't doing anything or wasn't watching anything else, I might tune in for 5-10 minutes or so and see that the standard of football is shite and move on to something else.

the vast majority of English games i watch the quality is absolute dire

the vast majority of English games i watch the quality is absolute dire
I get what you are saying - but they are still a level way above the shite in Scotland though.

And the stadiums are big and full - so the sense of occasion is far better. Whereas you tune in to see a game at somewhere like Hamilton or Partick Thistle and and see one man and his dog with unfinished 'stadiums'. It just looks and sounds awful. No-one wants to watch that.

I get what you are saying - but they are still a level way above the shite in Scotland though.

And the stadiums are big and full - so the sense of occasion is far better. Whereas you tune in to see a game at somewhere like Hamilton or Partick Thistle and and see one man and his dog with unfinished 'stadiums'. It just looks and sounds awful. No-one wants to watch that.

I agree and that is down to the SFA making clubs get far bigger stadiums than they need. Look at Kilmarnock ffs their attendances are shocking for a good sized town.

I agree and that is down to the SFA making clubs get far bigger stadiums than they need. Look at Kilmarnock ffs their attendances are shocking for a good sized town.
And no-one in Scotland looks at innovative ideas around pricing, matchday experience, entertainment and interactive elements of attending football matches in Scotland. It really is dismal.

And no-one in Scotland looks at innovative ideas around pricing, matchday experience, entertainment and interactive elements of attending football matches in Scotland. It really is dismal.

What is this matchday experience you speak of? And i know you're not alone in citing this. For me, matchday is just that. its all about the match surely? Been to the Etihad a few times and they do have an excellent drinking zone outside. But at United its just the standard fare with the exception of their truly mega store which must take more ÂŁÂŁÂŁÂŁ that the local Tesco Extra.
And what is interactive at a football match? A good product on the pitch is what I want to see

What is this matchday experience you speak of? And i know you're not alone in citing this. For me, matchday is just that. its all about the match surely? Been to the Etihad a few times and they do have an excellent drinking zone outside. But at United its just the standard fare with the exception of their truly mega store which must take more ÂŁÂŁÂŁÂŁ that the local Tesco Extra.
And what is interactive at a football match? A good product on the pitch is what I want to see
Yes - good product on the pitch is what we want to see.

If you attend games in Germany as I do now and again, you would be impressed with their match day-experience set ups. It creates a buzz around the stadium before the game. Whereas at Ibrox people turn up at five to three and take their seat. And the standing sections in Germany make a hell of a difference.

Got to be honest here the fire and passion and 100 mile an hour commitment has went out of the game,What made the game special and the reasons for watching the game has disappeared the last few game have half been hearted and tepid compared to games of the past pretty boring to be honest.

Got to be honest here the fire and passion and 100 mile an hour commitment has went out of the game,What made the game special and the reasons for watching the game has disappeared the last few game have half been hearted and tepid compared to games of the past pretty boring to be honest.
Sad, but very true.

Yes - good product on the pitch is what we want to see.

If you attend games in Germany as I do now and again, you would be impressed with their match day-experience set ups. It creates a buzz around the stadium before the game. Whereas at Ibrox people turn up at five to three and take their seat. And the standing sections in Germany make a hell of a difference.

Not been to Germany but it does sound like the place to watch football. And thats a good point. When I was a kid we used to get there are 2pm to get a decent spot on a barrier. Now you just roll up with moments to spare. Hadnt thought of that one. No atmosphere building an hour before hand now.

Not been to Germany but it does sound like the place to watch football. And thats a good point. When I was a kid we used to get there are 2pm to get a decent spot on a barrier. Now you just roll up with moments to spare. Hadnt thought of that one. No atmosphere building an hour before hand now.
That's what I'm getting at mate.

Very little or no sense of occasion when attending games in Scotland - whereas in places like Germany there is a great build up and it creates a buzz which carries on into the stadium.

The model they have over there is actually quite simple - and it works. Ours doesn't - but it could do if people got their heads together and expanded their minds away from the status quo dullness that we currently see.

I'd imagine more people down south subscribe to sky as they get more value for money on games they will watch.

Scotland on the other hand have very few games to justify the cost so choose to stream.

Not saying this is the only reason viewing figures are low but it will be a factor
That's bollocks. There will be plenty of people in Scotland with sky sports who want to watch the English football.

Wonder how many watch it on kodi sticks dodgy boxes and on their computers. If sky reduced their prices im sure loads more would subscribe

WATP
Why then do so many people still tune in to watch the Sheffield derby? Streaming may reduce the viewing figures but presumably it reduces figures for all games. Our biggest game still only got half the viewers of a championship game in England.

The narrative spouted by both supporters and part of the media up here is Scottish football is crap.
Why we expect non Scots to have an interest when we have such a low opinion of the product ourselves is beyond me

It looks like an opportunity to showcase the Scottish game on TV at Murrayfield against Hearts has resulted in other own goal.
There will be a half empty stadium that could be full (I know thats another argument) but a full stadium does enhance TV viewing.
Only in Scotland would empty seats be preferable to meeting demand.

I would bet there sky sports subscription in scotland would have dropped a fair bit over the last wee while. People up here including myself are sick of funding the EPL super league. I cancelled mine and just get streams for sky games. I won't contribute to the way they are killing football, any longer.

Was in Prague last year for one of the old firm games and could only find one bar showing the game and that was an Irish themed bar. The stench from the bar was overwhelming as it was wall to wall Tims singing their usual rebel fest song sheet.
All the other sports bars were showing the European Squash Championship.
Resorted to sitting in a bar and catching up on follow follow.
This game no longer has the same pull anymore too one sided and piss poor atmosphere.

It's also worth reiterating that the Scottish State's virulent attack on working class fans the game has lost a lot of its passion as songs, chants etc have been banned or suppressed.

Look at the threads/posts on here when people outwith Scotland are trying to find somewhere that will have the game on. Always a struggle, because generally outside of Scotland no-one really gives a f.uck about this game.

Back