Lowry vs Gilmour

Is Lowry a better prospect than Gilmour?

• Total voters
Wouldn't it be fantastic to see them playing alongside each other in the red white and blue. Both fantastic talents in their own right. Lowry is more my type of player, always playing forward and looking to open up defenses. Billy slightly less offensive and perhaps a little safer in possession but I love them both. I think Leon King is also a hell of a player by yhe way.

Different players. I want Lowry in the squad every week next season. I’m not sure we need Gilmour if our market is good enough.

Lowry needs a lot of minutes next season. He’s got a swagger and confidence about him with tremendous talent at a young age.

His ceiling is huge.

Been such a long time since we've had somebody of his calibre coming through the academy and in to the first team, I'm hoping we get to enjoy many years of him and he sticks around for his love of Rangers and doesn't go chasing the money.

I watched the Rangers youth team a few years ago winning that tournament in Dubai I think it was and he's was superb, delighted to see him featuring a bit more in the first team.

Gilmour needs to be careful, his career could hit a total standstill.

Needs to play for a team who dominate the ball.

EPL recruitment and loan teams see us as on a par with a pub league so would rather send a player to Norwich to get pumped 5-0 every week and get about 30 touches of the ball a game.
His career has hit a total standstill.

Lets just calm down a bit and let the boy play football and see how he gets on

He has the ability to get to heights that Gilmour has already reached, but currently he isn’t even in the same league as him. Lets not kid ourselves. Gilmour is now a regular for Scotland, featured regularly for Chelsea & Norwich and also has a champions league winners medal.

Lowry has played a handful of games, none of which have been anything to talk about. He hasn’t played against anyone decent yet.

I say all of the above as a massive fan of Lowry’s and i really hope he goes on to big things with us but we are very, very guilty of jumping the gun and wanting young lads thrown in at the deep end. Pace him correctly and it will do him wonders

It's encouraging that most people are saying that it's not a fair comparison as clearly they play different roles within a midfield. What I will say though is that the bar is far higher for creative/attacking midfielders like Lowry rather than deep lying play makers. I say this as an admirer of Gilmour and his type of player.

Bit of the Stan Bowles about young Lowry.
Interesting comparison. I’ll need to think that over.

Stan was a fantastic footballer but 100% unprofessional and uncoachable. Ended up massively underachieving.

I’d be very happy if Lowry emulated Bowles on the park but turned out a better professional off it.

Lowry is special, Gilmour is a talent who should've been patient and stayed at Rangers instead of going to England and stagnating.
what you say isn't 100% correct. up until this year, he has done the complete opposite of stagnating. he was starting and dominating high level football matches and won a Champions League. either he picked, his manager picked or his club picked the wrong loan move for him this year. however only this year has his career stalled, but it's by no means dead in the water at EPL level.

Can't really compare them

It's proof positive the academy is working though.

We couldn't afford him
He's out of contract next summer, coming off a bad loan at Norwich and then the situation at Chelsea with new owners.

It isn't the unrealistic option it was a year ago.

If we manage to win the Europa League, it would put us on a very good financial footing.

Even though its the EPL they aren't going to get £12+ million for Gilmour in his current situation.

He's out of contract next summer, coming off a bad loan at Norwich and then the situation at Chelsea with new owners.

It isn't the unrealistic option it was a year ago.

If we manage to win the Europa League, it would put us on a very good financial footing.

Even though its the EPL they aren't going to get £12+ million for Gilmour in his current situation.
I don't want to break the bank for him in wages

I don't want to break the bank for him in wages
Tbh if the fee was realistic then paying him 5/10k more than our highest earner is decent business.

He'd be a top tier DLP for 10-15 years here or would end up back down in the EPL for a massive profit.

He currently earns between £28k and £43k a week depending on the source

Gilmour needs to be careful, his career could hit a total standstill.

Needs to play for a team who dominate the ball.

EPL recruitment and loan teams see us as on a par with a pub league so would rather send a player to Norwich to get pumped 5-0 every week and get about 30 touches of the ball a game.
His size and stature are a worry as hes going to be muscled about unless the above point is in play.

Norwich not only are on the backfoot for much of games, theyre not a physical team and you havent seen Gilmour, when he rarely plays, get enforced by his teammates around him. Hes got tonnes of ability no doubt but thats not going to be allowed to shine through unless he gets on the ball and has time/space to play.

Cant see him progressing at Chelsea given theyve loaned him out and will be making huge signings in the Summer. Hes basically stood still for 18 months now and at his age thats poor.

It wont happen but Ranges seem well placed to offer him and Chelsea a route to regular in an environment that would help him.

As for Lowry hes a country mile ahead of not just his age group but most players around him on a pitch up here. He could play week in week out and you can see the belief the lad has in himself, hes not going to get derailed by mistakes or off days.

In fact he seems the determined sort whos only going to get better and better, wanting more and more as he grows.

You wonder what clauses Rangers have put in the contract because there is no way he'll be around Ibrox until 2025. I just hope the Club have protected themselves accordingly.

Both of them are exceptional talents.
It will be interesting to see where Billy Gilmour is playing next season.
Hopefully Alex Lowry get plenty of game time in our team next season,love the way he plays the game.

Interesting comparison. I’ll need to think that over.

Stan was a fantastic footballer but 100% unprofessional and uncoachable. Ended up massively underachieving.

I’d be very happy if Lowry emulated Bowles on the park but turned out a better professional off it.
I'm obviously looking at him on field. May have been his hair, his movements but when he scored yesterday it was the comparison that came into my head.

Wrong loan , Wrong club , next move is the important one .
Agree with that , but at this moment in time he is no where.
He would be better coming back to Rangers for 3 or 4 years.
He isnt going to get a move to the top half of the EPL at present.

His size and stature are a worry as hes going to be muscled about unless the above point is in play.

Norwich not only are on the backfoot for much of games, theyre not a physical team and you havent seen Gilmour, when he rarely plays, get enforced by his teammates around him. Hes got tonnes of ability no doubt but thats not going to be allowed to shine through unless he gets on the ball and has time/space to play.

Cant see him progressing at Chelsea given theyve loaned him out and will be making huge signings in the Summer. Hes basically stood still for 18 months now and at his age thats poor.

It wont happen but Ranges seem well placed to offer him and Chelsea a route to regular in an environment that would help him.

As for Lowry hes a country mile ahead of not just his age group but most players around him on a pitch up here. He could play week in week out and you can see the belief the lad has in himself, hes not going to get derailed by mistakes or off days.

In fact he seems the determined sort whos only going to get better and better, wanting more and more as he grows.

You wonder what clauses Rangers have put in the contract because there is no way he'll be around Ibrox until 2025. I just hope the Club have protected themselves accordingly.
Every player that’s made it them had a loan move , Mason Mount did at Derby level below and it was a success , but just the wrong club and environment for BG .

The most votes are for “different types of player”. :))
I don’t even know why that’s an option.
It doesn’t matter if you’re a full back or a centre forward.
The question is more or less “Who’s the better prospect?”

Exactly 2 years apart age wise , Billy Gilmour say last season is loaned back to us and we reach Europa final , he plays in it , that’s the level he has operated at with Chelsea . I think although totally different routes will be taken , both will end up at similar level ( High ) both fantastic talents and prove our academy could become best in the UK .

That would be terrifying - for everyone else in the Premiership.
Even more terrifying was that game yesterday that is by far and away the 3rd best team in the league , even if we don’t win Europa with constant Euro success and player sales and cash they have , it becomes ridiculous tbh .

Lowry has been impressive no doubt and has the Factor but for me Charlie McCann has looked outstanding also, he has a calmness and seems to be able to control a game.

Would have Billy Gilmour back in a heartbeat but feel he will stay down south,just a pity exceptional talent look at Chelsea and Scotland

l would like to see both in the rangers team next year
To the detriment of McCann or McKinnon, and maybe even Lowry as well?
Lowry, for all his gallus confidence, will still need talking through the rough patches, even in a game itself, that will inevitably come.
He’ll still need the on-field coaching, that you and I don’t see happening, and that’ll come from the senior players who might not be as talented but have been over the course before.

Different type of players so you can't really judge them.

Hopefully they both get to play alongside each other in a Rangers Jersey one day. I have no doubt they will be playing together for Scotland for years.

Scotland really haven't had a player like Lowry in my lifetime.

His career has hit a total standstill.

He's still only 20 years old - almost 2 years to the day older than Lowry and has 70+ appearances at the highest level - Premier League club appearances, European Championships for Scotland.

He's maybe not kicked on as much as we would have hoped in last 12 months but hardly a total standstill

He's still only 20 years old - almost 2 years to the day older than Lowry and has 70+ appearances at the highest level - Premier League club appearances, European Championships for Scotland.

He's maybe not kicked on as much as we would have hoped in last 12 months but hardly a total standstill
To me its a standstill as he is not in Chelseas plans obviously and his Norwich loan is finished and plus they got relegated.
A state of flux or call it whatever , but he is in no mans land.

I dont think Gilmour envisaged the situation he is now in when just a short time ago he was MOTM in two EPL games running for Chelsea bossing superstars and had Roy Keane praising him to the rafters, fair play to him for having the confidence in his own ability to enter the Chelsea youth farm and defying history to battle his way into the first team, football is a cruel game and a nasty injury and change of manager has now seen him where he is now, slipping down the snake whilst Lowry is steaming up the ladder two rungs at a time.

Back