Luis Lopes (Duk)

I’m usually of the mind that 99.5% of players in the league couldn’t play for us. That’s probably a fair statement but I think this boy has a chance I would take him no problem and would be happy to pay decent money for him as well. I didn’t want Ferguson from them either but I might have been wrong about that one, time will tell.

He’s young, fast, strong and scored more goals than Morelos this season.

I’m not sure it’s an outrageous suggestion.

If he was playing for Helsinki, would it be a different view?

We’ll be signing 2017 Morelos, not 2023 Morelos as a replacement fwiw. Beale always talks about development and no finished articles.

At 22, I don’t think it’s outrageous to suggest he’s worth looking at.
He's nearly 23 and only signed for them last year. They'll be looking for a few million for a guy who's had a decent 6 months football.

Too big a gamble IMO.

He's nearly 23 and only signed for them last year. They'll be looking for a few million for a guy who's had a decent 6 months football.

Too big a gamble IMO.
Unfortunately these are probably the types of gambles we need to take. As we know we aren’t in a position to spend big money on any players so we need to develop them. I think we could do a lot worse. What would they want for him? Maybe 3 mill? They have sold players for decent money the last 18 months or so. I would gamble.

I’d take a punt on him. He’s raw but I think under Beale we could improve him further plus it weakens that lot who only turn up 4 games a season against us.

Unfortunately these are probably the types of gambles we need to take. As we know we aren’t in a position to spend big money on any players so we need to develop them. I think we could do a lot worse. What would they want for him? Maybe 3 mill? They have sold players for decent money the last 18 months or so. I would gamble.
Sorry but 3 million for Duk would be crazy right now. Its not as if he even complements our style of play.
He's been decent against SPFL dross when he's been able to run into space onto balls over the top, we don't get that luxury in our games.

Sorry but 3 million for Duk would be crazy right now. Its not as if he even complements our style of play.
He's been decent against SPFL dross when he's been able to run into space onto balls over the top, we don't get that luxury in our games.
I don’t agree. He will play the same SPL dross with us. There is now a growing list of players who a lot of people on here have confidently claimed (me included) are not rangers class and have gone on to show they are actually decent players. I think this boy might be one we would regret not taking the chance on. Alternatively we could spend another 3 mill on someone like Matondo. I know where my money would go.

He’s young, fast, strong and scored more goals than Morelos this season.

I’m not sure it’s an outrageous suggestion.

If he was playing for Helsinki, would it be a different view?

We’ll be signing 2017 Morelos, not 2023 Morelos as a replacement fwiw. Beale always talks about development and no finished articles.

At 22, I don’t think it’s outrageous to suggest he’s worth looking at.

He's played almost double the minutes Alfie has for us this season. Sheep are struggling at the moment how much do you think they are going to want for him when he's the 2nd top goalscorer for them especially in January?

They are far from skint Cormak is wadded and they got 8-9 million between Ramsey and Ferguson.

He’s not worth anywhere near what they would want for him.

Absolutely anonymous against us at Ibrox.
And made a loss of £5.7m makes no difference how much their owner is worth. Its the clubs finances that need balanced. Not his own

This isn't 2000 though. We'll need new owners if you want to be aiming higher.
And why would new owners mean or even facilitate all of a sudden being loaded. A club in Scotland has to live within its means. We are close to being in bother because we jave wealthy owners or board me.bers who have funded us over the last 6 years. Owner being rich means nothing.

I don’t agree. He will play the same SPL dross with us. There is now a growing list of players who a lot of people on here have confidently claimed (me included) are not rangers class and have gone on to show they are actually decent players. I think this boy might be one we would regret not taking the chance on. Alternatively we could spend another 3 mill on someone like Matondo. I know where my money would go.
My point wasn't entirely about the dross. It was more about his style of play versus the ultra defensive teams we have to contend with most of the time.

With regards to your second point there has always been a gulf between decent players and Rangers class. There have been countless players over many decades that don't have the mental strength to play for us.

Point 3 is moot. I'm not wasting my time discussing a hypothetical situation between someone we've signed and someone we most probably won't.

And why would new owners mean or even facilitate all of a sudden being loaded. A club in Scotland has to live within its means. We are close to being in bother because we jave wealthy owners or board me.bers who have funded us over the last 6 years. Owner being rich means nothing.
I'm perfectly sure the current owners share your view.

My point wasn't entirely about the dross. It was more about his style of play versus the ultra defensive teams we have to contend with most of the time.

With regards to your second point there has always been a gulf between decent players and Rangers class. There have been countless players over many decades that don't have the mental strength to play for us.

Point 3 is moot. I'm not wasting my time discussing a hypothetical situation between someone we've signed and someone we most probably won't.
I understood your point about the dross. My point is if you are scoring in the SPL against the rest then you will score with us. There is no way he would get less chances with us than Aberdeen. he’s playing the way he has to in the system he plays with Aberdeen. If he can finish he will score plenty for us.

We have signed plenty that dont have the mental strength to play for rangers over the years. We can’t possibly make that conclusion if he has never played for us.

The final point I made was spending 3 mill on a player these days is a gamble. You don’t get world beaters for 3 mill these players need developed. And by the way I’m not writing Matondo off just yet as he’s still young but so far he’s been incredibly poor.

I haven't seen anywhere that Aberdeen value him at 3million they only paid 300k for him about 6months ago.Say we put in an offer of 750k and they knock it back saying they want 2milliion.His agent would be straight on to Cormack saying if you think he is worth 2 million then start paying him as a player of that value.The very least we would do is cause some upset in their ranks.I think up to a million would be a fair price for him.

The last deal we done with Aberdeen was fine. Wright and McCrorie. Wee bit haggling but nothing major.

I don't doubt they wouldn't sell to us on the cheap. But folk aren't half hamming up this hating us stuff.

If we wanted the boy I'd be sure we could get a deal done.

Duk would be a very good player for us just like Ferguson, Dykes, Nisbet, Mclean, Doig Shankland and R. Stewart etc would have been good for us but on here we reject players from the league we play in and get more excited by multimillion pound high risk signings like Matondo
It’s actually a good point.
Some were pulling themselves about Matondo last summer when he was decent in a pre season game.

I actually think the quality of the "other" teams in the league is at its lowest for a while.

I was thinking the other day of how we'd picked up Thomson and Whittaker from Hibs, Broadfoot from St Mirren and so on in Walters second spell and what their equivalents are now and the quality just isn't there.
A few Scots have moved from SPFL to Serie A which I don't remember happening under Walters era. Could argue there is more quality, but there is more competition for it & we are priced out

I haven't seen anywhere that Aberdeen value him at 3million they only paid 300k for him about 6months ago.Say we put in an offer of 750k and they knock it back saying they want 2milliion.His agent would be straight on to Cormack saying if you think he is worth 2 million then start paying him as a player of that value.The very least we would do is cause some upset in their ranks.I think up to a million would be a fair price for him.
They got over £6m for their 2 better players in the summer. They won’t be letting arguably their best player go for £1m now.

If we were signing him directly from Benfica B this thread would be a lot different, he just happens to have moved to Aberdeen.

Boyd, Naismith and Novo were all forwards signed from Scottish teams and seemed to do okay.

Wed have folk turning their nose up at Messi. Too wee etc.

I have no idea why people keep going on about the league being terrible, it wasnt when we won it and it wont be when we get our title back, anyway even if it is a low standard no one ever says dont buy from smaller leagues in europe we accept there can and will be far better value than the main tv leagues. Where did the team that made a euro final come from ?

I thought that lad was brilliant against Rangers he caused us so many problems with movement and direct play, fair enough at a time when we struggling. I am not surprised that as soon as he scored against another club he was shite anyway, if he signs for Celtic we will soon see plenty of credit for some reason their players have to be respected(numbers man) and competition is not so important.

Not sure of the cost cant see him being at Aberdeen next season though.

They got over £6m for their 2 better players in the summer. They won’t be letting arguably their best player go for £1m now.
Aberdeen wouldn't be happy and a lot would be down to the player.We could double his wage and guarantee European football.Would they want an unsettled player in the dressing room?

If we were signing him directly from Benfica B this thread would be a lot different, he just happens to have moved to Aberdeen.

Boyd, Naismith and Novo were all forwards signed from Scottish teams and seemed to do okay.

Wed have folk turning their nose up at Messi. Too wee etc.
No doubt, we get crap tv coverage and the english media will never take much interest with it, everyone must be crap thats not playing for the big 2.
Cosgrove , Dykes , Simms where are they when you need them.
Dykes would have been an excellent signing though look at the crosses we put in and amount of times we lack a physical forward to bash the other mob up.

He’s in far better shape than Alfie.

Similar stature, but probably still leaner than 2019 Alfie.
Oh I don’t know mate, just watched the highlights there, he’s carrying serous timber.
On current form he’s in a better place than Alfie though. Knows how to find the back of the net.

He’s better than Matondo or Wright, but would he get away with his diving playing for us? I doubt it.
He wouldn’t need to dive as we average 20 shots a game domestically and play most of our football in the final 3rd

He’s feeding off scraps half the time almost desperately

Would be part of his development

We’d be mad not to be monitoring his progress very closely we also have players we need to move on so swap deals to be done….

One to watch

Exactly that how you get the player.

No doubt, we get crap tv coverage and the english media will never take much interest with it, everyone must be crap thats not playing for the big 2.

Dykes would have been an excellent signing though look at the crosses we put in and amount of times we lack a physical forward to bash the other mob up.
Or Josh Magennis :D

It’s almost as if they’re giving us a clue where to scout players from.

Same people in this thread saying take a punt on a couple of million for Duk are the same folk raging we took a punt on Matondo, who was playing at a higher level... Yes Duk has had some good games, but I'm not sure he's going to shoot us to 56/57....

Agree players if that style should be on our scrutiny list but nit convinced at all it’s him .

My view is Ndiaye of Sheff Utd is the level we should be looking at if finances stack up

Same people in this thread saying take a punt on a couple of million for Duk are the same folk raging we took a punt on Matondo, who was playing at a higher level... Yes Duk has had some good games, but I'm not sure he's going to shoot us to 56/57....
Celtic are winning the league with guys like Greg Taylor playing their part. Any SPFL player being written off purely due to who they're playing for now is a bizarre form of bias.

Boy looks excellent. Its his first proper season and Aberdeen are a shambles of aside, hes done very well.

Send Wright back, abit of cash and bring him in

Celtic are winning the league with guys like Greg Taylor playing their part. Any SPFL player being written off purely due to who they're playing for now is a bizarre form of bias.
Taylor played over 100 games at Killie though. I don't even think Duk's played 60 yet.

He might work with us, he might not, my point being, we're calling on the club taking a punt but we are complaining about other punts.

Back