Lulu on This is Your Life 1973: Orange Band March on at End

Loved that! Dare I say, there’s a Kenny Dalglish This is Your Life too if you scroll across the YouTube screen at the end there. Might be worth a watch.

Lulu's strong Orange connections featured in her "Who do you think you are?" programme a few years ago. Her great-grandmother Helen Kennedy was a prominent orange woman in Bridgeton, in 1929 she was the first Worthy Grand mistress of the Ladies Orange Association. Lulu was shown visiting her grave in Rutherglen cemetery, her headstone had been donated by the ladies of Lodge 52, Bridgeton. Mrs Kennedy is mentioned on page 38 and 44 of Jon McDonald's book on Orangeism in Glasgow. Lulu made it clear she was very proud of her gt-grandmother and the prominent and responsible position she held on the O.O. in Glasgow.

Lulu's strong Orange connections featured in her "Who do you think you are?" programme a few years ago. Her great-grandmother Helen Kennedy was a prominent orange woman in Bridgeton, in 1929 she was the first Worthy Grand mistress of the Ladies Orange Association. Lulu was shown visiting her grave in Rutherglen cemetery, her headstone had been donated by the ladies of Lodge 52, Bridgeton. Mrs Kennedy is mentioned on page 38 and 44 of Jon McDonald's book on Orangeism in Glasgow. Lulu made it clear she was very proud of her gt-grandmother and the prominent and responsible position she held on the O.O. in Glasgow.
When she explored her RC family connections the researcher tried the old victimhood , discrimination angle as to why her grandfather ( great? ) had ended up a razor boy gang member , in and out of jail a wife beater and an all round thug.
Lulu shut him right down and it was obvious she had nothing but contempt for her grandfather and yet was very proud of her grandmother.

She wrote that cracking Tina song I Don’t Want to Fight. wonder of this was pre or post Bowie collaboration.

I’m fairly sure Billy McPhee played at my parents wedding. I also lived across the road from lulu’s parents in meadowpark street

Did she marry that lady's front bottom from the beegees? B-D
Her sister, Edwina was very friendly with one of the other girls we went to school with,
Edwina and her friend were out in LA on holiday and staying with Marie, Edwina's friend, who was fourteen at the time, got a phone call to say her Mother had died Suddenly'
that ' ladies front bottom ' as you called him refused to let her fly home alone, booked two First Class tickets to London and flew home with her to meet her older sister in London and got on the same plane and flew straight back to America
He might be a lot of things, but not a ' ladies front bottom' as far as I'm concerned

Her sister, Edwina was very friendly with one of the other girls we went to school with,
Edwina and her friend were out in LA on holiday and staying with Marie, Edwina's friend, who was fourteen at the time, got a phone call to say her Mother had died Suddenly'
that ' ladies front bottom ' as you called him refused to let her fly home alone, booked two First Class tickets to London and flew home with her to meet her older sister in London and got on the same plane and flew straight back to America
He might be a lot of things, but not a ' ladies front bottom' as far as I'm concerned
Rab does the friend you remember have the initials LF

I seem to recall that when she visited the Orange Hall to meet the researcher who told her about her Great Grandmother's prominence, she was wearing an orange tee-shirt under her jacket. Seems unlikely it was a just a coincidence she chose that colour for the occasion. She definitely was very proud of her roots.

And on the programme she said” oh yes I’ve heard of the Orange, but I don’t know what they do” or words to that effect. Aye right Lulu.

Back