Lulu on This is Your Life 1973: Orange Band March on at End

Went to school with the wee brother Gordon, never bragged about his sister, in fact that’s the first time I’ve seen that episode of TIYL , he never mentioned he was on it. He went to Bannerman with mostly working class kids, never went down the private school route and believe me , Bannerman in the late 70,s was not for the faint hearted. Met Lulu briefly when I worked in the Marquee club in London many moons ago, mentioned Gordon and she was delighted, chatted away, don’t mind her at all.

That was a great wee watch. I don’t like her particularly that much, although I do like her cover of The man who sold the world.

If it’s true about her Orange roots, I may be persuaded to be kinder towards her anytime I see or hear about her.

I’m sure my old granny said they went to the same school but were a couple of years apart but were brought up in the East End and crossed paths many times before she was famous.

Her sister, Edwina was very friendly with one of the other girls we went to school with,
Edwina and her friend were out in LA on holiday and staying with Marie, Edwina's friend, who was fourteen at the time, got a phone call to say her Mother had died Suddenly'
that ' ladies front bottom ' as you called him refused to let her fly home alone, booked two First Class tickets to London and flew home with her to meet her older sister in London and got on the same plane and flew straight back to America
He might be a lot of things, but not a ' ladies front bottom' as far as I'm concerned
Gentleman. But as I’m highly jealous of anyone to have bedded lulu I stand by my statement.

I seem to recall that when she visited the Orange Hall to meet the researcher who told her about her Great Grandmother's prominence, she was wearing an orange tee-shirt under her jacket. Seems unlikely it was a just a coincidence she chose that colour for the occasion. She definitely was very proud of her roots.
same in that photo earlier (it appeared to be from the Torch) she appears to have an orange scarf around her neck. No accident I would think. Saw her at the Lindella off union St, too many years ago

Didn't she also do Who Do You Think You Are? Traces her family back to Bridgeton and discovers her family were all in the Orange?
Not sure she’d have discovered this in the programme.
She might have discovered it when she heard the singing from her living room when she was a baby.

Rab does the friend you remember have the initials LF
Yes of Course Peter, you knew her well
Married a good friend of yours, I never knew the story until years later when her sister-in-law told me. LF was always very private. Her Dad was a right old Character, really pally with JM

Last edited:
That was a great wee watch. I don’t like her particularly that much, although I do like her cover of The man who sold the world.

If it’s true about her Orange roots, I may be persuaded to be kinder towards her anytime I see or hear about her.

I’m sure my old granny said they went to the same school but were a couple of years apart but were brought up in the East End and crossed paths many times before she was famous.
What school did your granny go to

Watching that and reading this it really shows up how far this country has sunk. It appears to be alright to have relative/friends etc. with connections to the I ran away but dare to mention Unionism.

:mad::mad: :mad:

Reactions: ao2
I'm slightly older than Lulu so remember her becoming a star. There was a lot of gossip then she'd started shagging one of her band members when she was 14.
I remember hearing the story of her appearing in Sunderland with both Jim Baxter and Dusty Springfield trying to shag her after a show.

Not true. He boasted his father was a mad republican but his father was an RC, with no connection to the IRA.
Indeed.

He's a bellend.

Campbell's blood aunt, Patty Stubbs, said: 'Of course Nicky's father wasn't in the IRA. For one thing we're Protestants. It's a terrible thing to say and it's not true.'

Lulu looks more than happy to be in the company of these Rangers players, c.1967/68:

RG3rXgh.jpg

My first ever game at Ibrox was v Falkirk in September 1972 (I won a competition in the Rangers News for 2 Main Stand tickets) and she was a couple of rows behind me and my Dad that day, as she was appearing at the Edmiston Club. I think she had one of her brothers with her. Like I said earlier, I've always had a lot of time for her.

I think she co-wrote that with Billy
Yes you are right Robert, still it’s a cracking song I think. With regards to bee gees (and lady’s front bottom) couldn’t agree less with that remark. I far from like all their stuff but always came across as sincere and caring as far as I can could make out. No idea why anyone would call them that.

Many years ago, I was in the dentist's waiting room (honest) and the only magazines were women's ones. One had an interview with her. and she was asked 'Is it true you weren't allowed to play with Catholics when you were young?'
She replied that it was not true, she could play with whoever she liked but there were no Catholic girls of the same age where she lived.
She then said 'Well, there was one wee girl lived away down the road, but nobody bothered with her'

Back