Lundstrum v Davis (some stats)

cloodie

Official Ticketer
The RangersReview55 twitter account was offering stats for various players earlier so I asked them to do a comparison with Davis (last season) and Lundstrum (this season).

702ba21008a910bb2c4b452e7015f12a.png

Judging a player should always be a mix between what you see with your eyes/video and stats.

I’m a massive fan of stats. But what I’ve seen with my eyes (not tracking runners, defensively unaware, slow on the ball, mistakes) can’t really be tracked by the stats you’ve posted. Hence the mix needed.

We all know Lundstram isn’t anywhere near Davis 20/21.

I'd have Jack starting before either of them and we should be signing someone in the summer that absolutely nails that position as their own. Davis has just not been at it this season, personally I think he slows play down and offers little defensive solidity.
Jack is better than both imo

Interesting insight but not the full picture... there is no stat which can measure Determination/Willingness to win

I guess the point is Lundstram has better stats i cant quite understand most of it though.

Only thing it proves to me is that stats are garbage, when we were struggling earlier in the season and folk didnt want to accept our poor performance or tactics they felt better posting stats about having more of the ball than the rest of the teams.

Well considering a lot of people haven't got the slightest clue about football, I'd probably lean towards the stats.
Tell Gerrard and Gio. They obviously know f*ck all about football either as they consistently chose Davis of Lundtstrum too.

I suppose stats aren't in dispute - but they rarely tell the whole story IMO
I know SD on form - regardless of stats - makes me feel safer than JL
SD also has a higher quality contribution - holds his position better & reads the game more

This isn't intended to be a slag JL exercise by the way - & I'm still hopeful he'll improve enough to replace Davis - but he's still got a long way to go yet IMO

I'd have Jack starting before either of them and we should be signing someone in the summer that absolutely nails that position as their own. Davis has just not been at it this season, personally I think he slows play down and offers little defensive solidity.
Have to admit, Davis' slow play has been taken to a new level this season. He certainly slows pay down unnecessarily and his forward play has been poor.

The same people who say Lundstram is shite are probably the same ones who wanted Cummings over Morelos, Flanagan over Tav or the one that's cropped up since Pattersons' emergence - "JUST MOVE TAV INTO MIDFIELD!!".

That's a real strawman argument.

'The reason I am right and you are wrong is that some other people got things wrong in the past.'

The same people who say Lundstram is shite are probably the same ones who wanted Cummings over Morelos, Flanagan over Tav or the one that's cropped up since Pattersons' emergence - "JUST MOVE TAV INTO MIDFIELD!!".
Don't disagree with any of the above but try not sound as if you taught Pep everything he knows. Your point right or wrong has no more credence than the next persons

I guess the point is Lundstram has better stats i cant quite understand most of it though.

Only thing it proves to me is that stats are garbage, when we were struggling earlier in the season and folk didnt want to accept our poor performance or tactics they felt better posting stats about having more of the ball than the rest of the teams.
If stats are garbage then why will every top team be using them? Also, you're first line is incorrect, it shows Davis was better in some areas and Lundstam has been better in others.

Why is he shite? If he was so bad why has he been MOTM in a few of our performances this season?

We're so quick to write off players.
This MOTM stuff is mentioned far too often.

They’re debatable awards by sponsors, someone the other day said he has been our MOTM about 5 times.

That would put him in the running for POTY ffs.

Well considering a lot of people haven't got the slightest clue about football, I'd probably lean towards the stats.
If it wasnt for stats you wouldnt have any posts or views so you have to say that mate.

Everything is stats, until you start bubbling and need to accuse people that dont press like of saying something strange 10 years ago, which you know probably wasnt even anything to do with them.

Considering Davis gets rested for a lot of the teams that Lundstram starts as they are inferior opposition, I don't think that's a fair representation.

It can be deceptive using these stats as a player could make hundreds of passes in defence when unpressured and run around like a headless chicken covering ground but never when and where it really matters.
Look at a simple game like darts - 2 players over 11 legs in matchplay could have exactly the same averages and neither misses any doubles yet one of them could still win the game 11-0 because they hit the important ones at the right time. Same for tennis.

If stats are garbage then why will every top team be using them? Also, you're first line is incorrect, it shows Davis was better in some areas and Lundstam has been better in others.
I suppose they will have a look at some stats as any sort of data can help but really isnt so important. Id just ignore it and focus on what goes in out on the pitch or training.

Did the media not recently say ange and the bhoys have the best passing stats in britain or wasnt it europe ?

just a lot bollocks.

The thought of Lundstrum starting at the sty is the stuff of nightmares
I honestly think he’d get sent off. He often starts very slow off the pace and given how quickly the paedos move the ball about an early card is inevitable.

And I speak as someone who rates Lundstram more than most on here. It’s just not a game for him to start IMO.

It can be deceptive using these stats as a player could make hundreds of passes in defence when unpressured and run around like a headless chicken covering ground but never when and where it really matters.
Look at a simple game like darts - 2 players over 11 legs in matchplay could have exactly the same averages and neither misses any doubles yet one of them could still win the game 11-0 because they hit the important ones at the right time. Same for tennis.
That's why we have stats like 'deep progressions' though

Stats only tell you so much, and can be misleading.

For example, statistically speaking on average we have fewer than 2 legs each. We know that’s rubbish in most cases, but the stats say otherwise. Not for nothing do we have the phrase “there are lies, damned lies and statistics”.

I’ll stick to judging what’s in front of me with my own 2 eyes, which is that neither has been good enough often enough this season and both need to up their game significantly.

Lundstram gets a lot of grief for not tracking runners from midfield. But Davis is bad for this and Kamara is a nightmare for it. Mcinnes even said Aberdeen used to target him as he would switch off and not track his man into the box

The stats will tell you my dog's bollocks hang to within 2 inches of the ground

What they don't tell you is that he's a miniature sausage dog and only has a 3 inch inside leg

I don’t know why folk judge Lundstram so badly, the whole team were very off when he came in. I don’t think anyone was really getting pass marks so why write him off before we’ve seen him in a more form team. I don’t think he’s massively been below any other midfielder this season and if this was Davis first season in a blue shirt I’m sure the folk calling for Lundstram to be punted would be saying the same on him.

Why can’t we actually give our players and chance and support. By all means let’s say I’d pick this team but let’s not rush to throw them under the bus.

Stats only tell you so much, and can be misleading.

For example, statistically speaking on average we have fewer than 2 legs each. We know that’s rubbish in most cases, but the stats say otherwise. Not for nothing do we have the phrase “there are lies, damned lies and statistics”.

I’ll stick to judging what’s in front of me with my own 2 eyes, which is that neither has been good enough often enough this season and both need to up their game significantly.

Spot on.

This Lundstram starting the OF thing is hilarious given he was excellent in a win at Old Trafford last season, not saying that’s always his level but f*ck sake it’s Celtic being spoke about, he’s played against sides a lot better than them

This Lundstram starting the OF thing is hilarious given he was excellent in a win at Old Trafford last season, not saying that’s always his level but f*ck sake it’s Celtic being spoke about, he’s played against sides a lot better than them
Played against Lyon as well and should've got a penalty for us. I know it was a defeat but the game was pretty even and it would've been interesting to see how it panned out if we'd got the penalty.

He’s not better than Davis. How does he offer more going forward? He’s scored about 6 goals in 4/5 years with us

The good thing about Jack is that when he sits in with the ball we can play ten yards further up the park though.

Davis for me all day.
He gets us up the park more than Davis does with his runs and passing. Also has 10 league goals in the last 3 seasons, Davis has none.

Back