Lyle Taylor

Alfie is on 30k P/W, just as a comparison Alfie is a Colombian international and proven at high European level. This chap is a league one journeyman who is nearing the end of his career. I honestly would be surprised if we were even interested never mind at 30 K P/W. Wait and see I suppose.

Regardless of opinion if we do sign him it’s with the managers blessing and who will have said that he thinks he’s a player who will improve our team.

This is a worrying move I think. Not the quality we need.

I'm with you.

We have been told that this season is about signing quality and we could be buying a 30 year old journeyman who plays in Englands 3rd division and making him our highest earner - wow!! He better be the 2nd Marco Negri, a late, late developer.

Can't see Scum being concerned that 10IAR is under threat.

36 in 67.

Don't know about Morelos but he wasn't 30 having played for umpteen teams including three spells in Scotland.

Last season was his first year at Championship level.

Besides 22 games in the Championship and 35 games in the Scottish Premiership, his entire career has been in the lower leagues.

Not that I'm for signing him, but free agents tend to get a bit more in wages because the club aren't paying a fee for them. Especially those in demand.

Nice to see my hard earned season ticket money going on a player of this quality.

If this is anywhere near true we will win nothing this season again

This is the type of player that ends up working out. Folk get their knickers in a twist and he goes on and smashes it.

He is being chased by a couple of premier league clubs for a reason (despite being 30). 3 year deal at those wages seems reasonable for a free transfer at that level.

Will he displace Alfie? Doubt it.
Does he offer us more mobility than a 38 year old Jermain Defoe? Yes
Is he an improvement on Kamberi? Yes (IMHO)
Will we play with 2 strikers? No
Will signing him with little/no upfront outlay allow us to pay transfer fees in other areas of the park? Yes

Its about being smart with the money we do have to spend on transfer fees. His wages probably replace Halliday and Foderinghams combined wage.

We only play with one striker, we need to spend cash on a creative midfielder that will go straight into the first 11, and possibly another winger in my opinion (to allow us flexibility of formation to play with 2 wingers).

We also need a backup right and left back, and there may be no decent bosman options.

This is the type of player that ends up working out. Folk get their knickers in a twist and he goes on and smashes it.

He is being chased by a couple of premier league clubs for a reason (despite being 30). 3 year deal at those wages seems reasonable for a free transfer at that level.

Will signing him with little/no upfront outlay allow us to pay transfer fees in other areas of the park? Yes

Its about being smart with the money we do have to spend on transfer fees. His wages probably replace Halliday and Foderinghams combined wage.

We only play with one striker, we need to spend cash on a creative midfielder that will go straight into the first 11, and possibly another winger in my opinion (to allow us flexibility of formation to play with 2 wingers).

We also need a backup right and left back, and there may be no decent bosman options.
If he doesn't replace Morelos, you're happy for us to pay £30,000 a week for a 30 year old who will be a rotational player and would be the highest earner in the squad?

You make valid points - but as you say, it's about being smart with our money and £30k p/w for a player with his credentials and no future sell-on fee is not smart.

I fully expect hin to sign with us, not sure on the wages claimed but you never know.

I'm unconventional about him.

I'm equally unconvinced that the details of any wage package would be leaked

At 30k per week we could do much better

Surely not. Sounds like the boys attitude stinks as well
What makes you think that mate?

Read an interview from him a few days ago, seems pretty down to earth. Sounded like he hadn’t made that much from the game as he’s a late developer. Got the impression he’d go for the top cash offer to look after his family. At his age, you can’t really blame him.

Yup no way we're paying anyone that per week , only way we'd come close is a signing on fee and £10/12,000 a week and its a bit of a risk for a lower championship / top league 1 player
We have a player on that currently , but we won’t be giving Taylor it for sure

You make valid points - but as you say, it's about being smart with our money and £30k p/w for a player with his credentials and no future sell-on fee is not smart.
Would you be happier if we signed a younger player for £3m at £10k per week who had little impact next season? Good example is Steven Naismith when we signed him from Killie. Little input initially.

Not all players can be signed with sell on value. You need a mix of youth and experience. He is in the peak years of his career, seems a late bloomer and can give a few solid years. We need someone who can hit the ground running next season. We could sell him back to championship or league 1 for £2-3M in a year easily.

If we sign him, I trust the gaffer.

Really hope this isn't true. Since the Warburton days we seem to have had this obsession with taking punts on unproven English players or journeymen from the English game. I really dont get it, the vast majority have been nothing short of shite for us and its short sighted beyond belief.

We've lost the plot if there's any truth in this.

Its not even the money involved that worries me most. It's the fact that we have to be planning on him being our main striker if we're paying him that much.

We better make a shed load on Morelos.

We've lost the plot if there's any truth in this.

Its not even the money involved that worries me most. It's the fact that we have to be planning on him being our main striker if we're paying him that much.

We better make a shed load on Morelos.

Why are you worried?

Do you seriously think we’ve offered a 30 year old Charlton journeyman £30k a week?

Calm doon ffs:))

I never believe anything I read online until it's confirmed by the club.

However let's say it's true and Taylor signs with us on a Bosman on a 30k per week deal. As some have already said in this thread, Bosman's tend to get a higher wage due to the Club not having to fork out a transfer fee. Another factor that's common with Bosman deals is the player gets a pretty healthy signing on fee - that's the norm.

I'd imagine IF we do in fact sign the lad for the wage quoted here then I'd imagine his signing on fee is factored into that wage - an occurrence that's also common with Bosman deals.

So yes the money is high, but it's not quite as simple as saying he's getting 30k a week because there's other factors to consider with Bosman signings.

There is not a chance we'd be paying £30k p/w for him. As others have said on here, he's a £10-£12k p/w player at best. Anything more than that plus the signing on fees and bonuses would be crazy. If Galatasaray are offering big bucks, he goes there and we move on.

Gaz

Which strikers do Southampton have? I heard this morning we are signing one of theirs on loan with an option to buy - source is usually reliable but he never knew the targets name

Also read Taylor could end up in Glasgow but not with us!

Yup no way we're paying anyone that per week , only way we'd come close is a signing on fee and £10/12,000 a week and its a bit of a risk for a lower championship / top league 1 player

We spent £23m on first team squad salaries/bonuses in 2019. Seems pretty likely that we’ll have players in the £25k-£30k per week range to get to that number.

So we’re offering over 30k a week for a 30yr old Championship player who has scored over 140 goals in his 12yr professional CV... WOW.. We should be aiming higher if we’re prepared to pay that amount.

Would you be happier if we signed a younger player for £3m at £10k per week who had little impact next season? Good example is Steven Naismith when we signed him from Killie. Little input initially.

Not all players can be signed with sell on value. You need a mix of youth and experience. He is in the peak years of his career, seems a late bloomer and can give a few solid years. We need someone who can hit the ground running next season. We could sell him back to championship or league 1 for £2-3M in a year easily.

If we sign him, I trust the gaffer.

For me his age isn't the problem. Players are more professional and a lot more fitter these days.

Paying a 30 year old striker the guts of £30,000 isn't an issue if he has a proven track record.

Taylor has had one half season at Championship level and 2 half seasons at Scottish Premiership level.

Fans are right to be wary of paying a player with that CV £1.5m a year.

Would you pay Martyn Waghorn or Joe Garner £30,000 a week ?

The guy will be on about £5000 at Charlton. There’s absolutely no way we have offered him £30k. He just said in an interview he would have earned more in league 1 than he was offered at Charlton. Folk need to use their brain.

a british triathlete over a poker table (I assume a virtual poker table, no less). Spare it.

Which strikers do Southampton have? I heard this morning we are signing one of theirs on loan with an option to buy - source is usually reliable but he never knew the targets name

Also read Taylor could end up in Glasgow but not with us!
We must finally be getting Danny Ings then. :D

At the right wages, you suppose he’s better than Kamberi and gives another option. However, he’s like a lot of our signings in previous summers - you think “ok, but surely there is better to come”. We’ll see...

I’m not seeing anything from anybody who is ITK that makes me believe for one second that this guy is even under consideration. Until I do I will take these rumours with the pinch of salt they deserve!!

If the rumoured 30k is true then that is mental. He isnt worth half of that. Galatasary have been linked with him an have apparently offered big wages.

Better than Defoe but not on the same level as Morelos.

£30k is madness, no chance we’ve offered that. As others have said £10-15k seems about right.

Back