Lyndon Dykes

He's 24, we can and will find far better technically and they'll more than likely be younger too.

He's a striker that's so far never reached double figures

12 goals, 9 assists in 28 games so far this season mate, which is a decent return for a Livingston striker in February.

24 certainly isn't old, particularly for someone who's been a late developer.

He's also got the physicality required for the Scottish game.

Have you seen anyone else who's got the better of all of Katic, Helander, Julien and Ajer this season?

I'm not saying he's the next Derek Parlane, DJ , or Hateley.

I'm saying that he's worth a punt because he could easily develop into a good striker.

He's not though mate.

I agree he's very raw, but he's the quickest striker in the league, is very good in the air, (as Niko knows only too well) and has a very good 1st touch.

He's also good good technique, as we saw with the volley that hit the post.

He's certainly not the finished article, but he's got all the potential tools you'd want for a striker.

Not to mention the fact he comes from a Rangers leaning family too.

He's way more than just a clogger.
Alot of people just cant see past the fact that he plays for livi yet these same people are probably the first to complain that we dont buy the best players from our league when they go elsewhere and become a success

I suppose where I’m coming from is that we seem to have a limited plan b and certainly no plan c when faced with the brick walls that some defences can be. I think the fella offers technique and fairly decent technique at that. He offers pace and he can mix it up. He might provide a slightly more industrial option in those games where teams are just grinding us.

Don't think we will be looking for a back up striker next season. Kamberi will probably be signed- wont be going back to Hibs anyway. We also have Defoe. But I am pretty sure we will be looking for a first choice quality striker as Alfredo will most likely be off.

12 goals, 9 assists in 28 games so far this season mate, which is a decent return for a Livingston striker in February.

24 certainly isn't old, particularly for someone who's been a late developer.

He's also got the physicality required for the Scottish game.

Have you seen anyone else who's got the better of all of Katic, Helander, Julien and Ajer this season?

I'm not saying he's the next Derek Parlane, DJ , or Hateley.

I'm saying that he's worth a punt because he could easily develop into a good striker.
I stand corrected then, this is the first time he's managed it as far as I'm aware.

I'll make the same point that I did in the first thread about us potentially signing him:

For Rangers to continuously grow and develop as a club, we simply must have an extremely calculated approach to recruitment. While Dykes has shown flashes of promise domestically, the gulf in quality from him to Morelos or even Defoe is astronomical.

When Morelos leaves, Rangers should be singing 2 strikers to compete for that starting jersey with Defoe dropping down in the pecking order. Signing one Morelos replacement, keeping Defoe as option 2 and taking a punt on Dykes to sit in the stand sees our squad dip in both quality and value.

To use two guys we've been linked with as an example, what do you think is a healthier position for us to be in? While the outlay in scenario one is larger, the potential return is also significantly greater.

Guirassy, Marić and Defoe or One of the two, Defoe and Dykes?

When we let standards dip in our recruitment and we resort to punts, we end up with guys like Brandon Barker stuck on the wage bill for 3 years, stifling growth.

I thought he did pretty well in difficult conditions on Sunday mate, considering nobody really stood out.

He consistently beat Katic in the air and showed good pace to get in behind him a couple of times.

Nobody was showing any interest in Kamara either and he's turned out to be an excellent signing.

Remember, Dykes absolutely destroyed Julien and Ajer earlier this season too.

Whether or not he's the right fit for us is up for debate, but he's definitely a far better striker than many on here are suggesting.

If he destroyed them again in midweek in a few weeks time I'll be delighted.

He wouldnt get away with anywhere near as much of the persistent fouling as he does at Livingston, in the end the refs would just target him at Rangers in my opinion

He done well against Helander who was shell-shocked at his physicality and the fact we were playing on a junior level pitch. The next game he was in the Swede's back pocket.

When has a battering ram like that ever worked in a Rangers team? It's funny how some posters go on about our possession based system but then are seemingly receptive to the idea of signing someone like Dykes.

I stand corrected then, this is the first time he's managed it as far as I'm aware.

I'll make the same point that I did in the first thread about us potentially signing him:

For Rangers to continuously grow and develop as a club, we simply must have an extremely calculated approach to recruitment. While Dykes has shown flashes of promise domestically, the gulf in quality from him to Morelos or even Defoe is astronomical.

When Morelos leaves, Rangers should be singing 2 strikers to compete for that starting jersey with Defoe dropping down in the pecking order. Signing one Morelos replacement, keeping Defoe as option 2 and taking a punt on Dykes to sit in the stand sees our squad dip in both quality and value.

To use two guys we've been linked with as an example, what do you think is a healthier position for us to be in? While the outlay in scenario one is larger, the potential return is also significantly greater.

Guirassy, Marić and Defoe or One of the two, Defoe and Dykes?

When we let standards dip in our recruitment and we resort to punts, we end up with guys like Brandon Barker stuck on the wage bill for 3 years, stifling growth.

I'm not advocating for Dykes to be signed and immediately pushed up the pecking order as our 1st striker.

Far from it, in fact.

However, his goal return and assists are more than decent for a mid table club in mid season.

Kamberi, for example, has 3 goals from 23 games.

All I'm saying is he is more than just a clogger, as some on here have suggested.

He's already demonstrated his pace, technique, aerial ability, physicality and finishing against 2 teams in the last 32 of a European tournament and is a proven success in our league.

A decent low risk punt.

No more, no less.

He was the reason a club legend left QOS.

I’d sign him as a third striker, I really rate him. I’m surprised Scotland haven’t tried to cap him before Australia does.
I thoughtvAustralia already had capped him...
I'm getting mixed up maybe with John Souttars brother.

He wouldnt get away with anywhere near as much of the persistent fouling as he does at Livingston, in the end the refs would just target him at Rangers in my opinion
True Fraser, to play in a Rangers team at the moment you cannot show aggression ,we are not allowed 5 fouls like Beaton gave Cosgrove before booking him for aggressive play .

nHQVwhD.gif

I thoughtvAustralia already had capped him...
I'm getting mixed up maybe with John Souttars brother.
Hasn’t been capped. Found an article from late last year of him saying he’d rather play for Scotland as his entire family is Scottish other than him and his sister who were born in Australia.

With the right coaching I can see no reason why he wouldn't develop and improve - the raw materials are all there so why not?

Dykes isn’t just a battering ram. He actually has good control, touch and tricky feet. It’s a myth that he’s a big bruiser. That’s deals with your first and second point. We also like to play on the counter attack, it actually suits us, so not sure about your last point.
Very seldom do we have the space to play a counter attack.

Very seldom do we have the space to play a counter attack.
Eh? We’ll see how many counter attacks we see tonight. We counter fairly regularly. It’s a huge part of our game. Our squad is built to counter.

obviously in europe it’s more frequent, but I don’t see how any of this means Dykes would be a bad purchase.

I know I’ll take a copious amount of shit from the FF Klopps and Guardiolas of whom we have many. But why not him as a back up or alternative striker in the summer?

Because we need better than an average footballer, back up to whom.If we get a decent offer for Alfie, he'll be off before you can blink.
We'll need to spend the money on a top striker, not a player with a provincial club.

Eh? We’ll see how many counter attacks we see tonight. We counter fairly regularly. It’s a huge part of our game. Our squad is built to counter.

obviously in europe it’s more frequent, but I don’t see how any of this means Dykes would be a bad purchase.
Of course we will see it tonight, as it's not a standard SPFL game. There are maybe four SPFL sides that allow us to play on the transition.

I thought he did pretty well in difficult conditions on Sunday mate, considering nobody really stood out.

He consistently beat Katic in the air and showed good pace to get in behind him a couple of times.

Nobody was showing any interest in Kamara either and he's turned out to be an excellent signing.

Remember, Dykes absolutely destroyed Julien and Ajer earlier this season too.

Whether or not he's the right fit for us is up for debate, but he's definitely a far better striker than many on here are suggesting.
There was a lot of teams in for Kamara. Many a team down south were looking at him as well as the mentally challengeds

He's not though mate.

I agree he's very raw, but he's the quickest striker in the league, is very good in the air, (as Niko knows only too well) and has a very good 1st touch.

He's also got good technique, as we saw with the volley that hit the post.

He's certainly not the finished article, but he's got all the potential tools you'd want for a striker.

He’s not your typical big SPFL striker I’ll give him that but there is genuinely so much better out there than him. We need to remember as well we are likely needing two quality strikers this summer (one of Alfie stays), Dykes wouldn’t fit that bill. I don’t fancy Defoe ending up as our backup next season

That has to be taken into consideration is my point. You can look good on the counter, but can you break down a parked bus? Jordan Jones is case in point.
If you’re going with that logic, we shouldn’t have signed Kent, Kamberi, Jones etc then should we?

Let me flip it round. He has 9 goals this season, he’s strong, good in the air and fast. Why does it matter if we are playing on the counter or not? We play a lot of our game out wide, and he’s one heck of a presence in the box.

Disengage yourself from the fact he plays for livingston and is about 100ft tall. He’s not the stereotypical target man.

He's not though mate.

He's also got good technique, as we saw with the volley that hit the post.

He's impressed me every time I've seen him,I would take a punt on him
for a relatively small fee,it's a no brainer

I know I’ll take a copious amount of shit from the FF Klopps and Guardiolas of whom we have many. But why not him as a back up or alternative striker in the summer?
My son mentioned him in January. I'd not seen that much of him. For not a lot of money he may have offered a different option but the way the team is set out and with SG not looking like he's going to change it any time soon I think he's not right for us. I'd have liked to have seen a third option of a big striker but maybe he's found that option in Kamberi.

A player I see improvement everytime I watch him(not often) and the technique for the shot that hit the post against us was very good. With the right coaching I think he could do a job for us.

If you’re going with that logic, we shouldn’t have signed Kent, Kamberi, Jones etc then should we?

Let me flip it round. He has 9 goals this season, he’s strong, good in the air and fast. Why does it matter if we are playing on the counter or not? We play a lot of our game out wide, and he’s one heck of a presence in the box.

Disengage yourself from the fact he plays for livingston and is about 100ft tall. He’s not the stereotypical target man.
My logic was exactly that we shouldn't have signed Jones. Not sure why Kent is thrown in there however.

Whether we play on the counter or not is irrelevant. My argument is that he gets a lot more space to run into playing for Livi then he would for us. So our excperienc of him might be a false sample, like I'd say it was with Jones.

Oh well, maybe I’ll post some stuff about the Tim’s as 20 of them a day seem to go down well. I suppose I was expecting the staunch posts. But who knows, perhaps an opinion or thought will flow. Is it half term in Scotland this week to?
awwww,spat the dummy

I think he is a decent enough player but I'm neither here nor there over signing him.

What bugs me though is every other day someone starts a new thread to have the exact same conversation. The last thread saying the same thing is probably on the next page.

Good shout for me, but too many on here think football was only invented 10 yrs ago and can't see the value in a Dykes type of player, if you're not a tippy tappy midget you can't possibly be any good .

My logic was exactly that we shouldn't have signed Jones. Not sure why Kent is thrown in there however.

Whether we play on the counter or not is irrelevant. My argument is that he gets a lot more space to run into playing for Livi then he would for us. So our excperienc of him might be a false sample, like I'd say it was with Jones.
Well what’s the difference between Jones and Kent? That makes Kent ok but not Jones?

You are right. Wether we play on the counter or not IS irrelevant so I have no idea why you brought it up.

Back