Lyndon Dykes

If I'm honest, if it comes down to a choice between Dykes and Taylor - and I hope it doesn't - then I'd go for Dykes at 24, with room for improvement, ahead of Taylor, approaching his 30s and looking for big bucks. We'd need to pay a fee for Dykes but the salary, signing-on fee and Agents fee would be much lower than Taylor, for example. I'd say after 12 months the total outlay on the pair of them would be close to being the same.

Lyndon Dykes is an absolute cart horse and only looks effective because of the way Livingston play.

He has looked ok to me. A bit of skill and good at getting shots off early. Raw, probably not good enough for us, but he is a bit better than a cart horse.

£2 million to a club down South before the virus not unreasonable. Rangers tax maybe £1 million. Aberdeen about £300k. If they get shot of Cosgrove, Dykes will go there as a ready made replacement.

If this is the standard we are looking at we may as well concede 9.75 in a row.

We need to spend wisely but can’t be taking a “ punt “ at this stage.

And like many have said already, the refs would be all over him in a Rangers jersey.

He wasn't worth that before club finances have been decimated, so he's certainly not worth it now.

If there is better quality available elsewhere then that could make more sense on paper but it should be less of a risk signing a player who already knows the league and has proven themselves in it.

We definitely need a player of his ilk to give us a different option up top and mix up our style a bit in certain games. That could turn games we struggle in to easy wins.

This team have struggled against packed defences but I'm pretty sure the key to getting around this is having different ways of scoring goals and creating chances and being less predictable. An early goal or two against some teams could be the difference between winning comfortably and a disaster of a draw. We've all seen it happen before. We need to be more ruthless if we are to win this league.
Q. Do we have a player at Ibrox who can play a similar role?
A. No.
Q. Does that role offer a different approach in certain games?
A. Yes.
Q. Would a player in this role fit into the way we want to play?
A. No.
Q. Should we not at least have the ability to vary how we play in certain games?
A. Yes.
Q. Is there better players out there who play in a similar way to Dykes?
A. Yes.
Q. Are these players inside our budget and would they be available for us to sign?
A. Probably a no but difficult to really know either way.

Conclusion, the case for considering Dykes is fairly strong, however, it will be one for the manager and Wilson and the factors that come into play will be financial and whether or not other players who can give us the ability to vary our approach in certain games are available.
It may well be that the manager will not countenance this sort of forward as part of his plans and that the key to changing and varying our approach will rest with a different type of attacking option.

No way at that money but I’d take a chance on him ,sometimes places like St johnstone away need someone who knows Scottish football and will throw their body into the box and has a fight in them ,people laugh but I do believe we need at least one or two players who know what Scottish football is all about and is up for the fight every time not just half the games ,we have some really good players but some don’t like it when the sleeves need rolled up on a Sunday away game on a cow field of a park

We need a player like him imo, someone to bring on with 15 mins to go if we’re really struggling against a packed defence. 2 million though!! No chance. £750k to 1mill at the very most

Personally I don't think we are interested in Dykes.
I would hope we have targeted a far better player than him.

If this is the standard we are looking at we may as well concede 9.75 in a row.

We need to spend wisely but can’t be taking a “ punt “ at this stage.

And like many have said already, the refs would be all over him in a Rangers jersey.
One in a row!

You might get a championship club come in and pay not far off £2 million. Not sure we should be anywhere near that. I think he's a decent striker though.

He may not be worth £2m but I wouldn't like to see him sign for them, as he gives us and them for that matter problems. If they sign him and McKenna we're going to get bullied next season. How did he get on against Aberdeen last year, as I wouldn't be surprised if he got the better of McKenna?

He may not be worth £2m but I wouldn't like to see him sign for them, as he gives us and them for that matter problems. If they sign him and McKenna we're going to get bullied next season. How did he get on against Aberdeen last year, as I wouldn't be surprised if he got the better of McKenna?
I'd be absolutely delighted if Celtic signed Dykes and McKenna

I dont think we re after a Dykes. Who we are after will remain a secret as the club dont want to disclose any targets.

Dykes would be a half decent 3rd choice striker for us, as in hes' plan B off the bench for when we go more direct. £500k tops though imo.

He wouldn't get away with the physical side of his game playing with us though, he'd see as many reds as Morelos.

Thing is, i think we should be aiming higher than half decent if we want to win the league.

Depending on the price he'd be a decent addition, not for 2 million though. Either way, he won't be there next season

We need a striker to be coming in and competing for Morelos' position, not playing third fiddle and maybe coming on when we are throwing to kitchen sink chasing a goal.

This link is agent-led anyway, guys like 4LHAD have outlined this on twitter etc.

I don't think Livi would get £2m for him but in fairness that's them talking up their asset and I get that - but if that's what it took to get him then we should definitely be looking elsewhere.

Back