Lyndon Dykes

He is not worth £2m. Just because he had a decent game against us does not mean we should buy him. I remember years back Spurs doing that with Alan Brazil.

He's never a £2 million pound player. Not how transfers work though. He's worth whatever a club is willing to pay for him. I'd really rather we didn't spend this much on him.

I took a wee look at his goal scoring track record at previous clubs and it doesn't look all that impressive to me. Can anyone tell me if he's always played as a striker or did he get shunted about a lot early in his career? Just makes for grim reading.

Given the choice between Dykes or Shankland I'd have Shankland all day long, purely on the basis that goals win games, type of player etc does not guarantee goals, hence the reason why Dykes goal scoring stats are so poor, Shanklands goals are worth a far bigger punt that Dykes imo, that being said neither of them are good enough to win us the League and I'd prefer we aimed a just little bit higher in terms of quality. We cant go out at blow £15M on a goalscorer from down south but we can scour the market for the best possible option available to us, either on a free or a season long loan with options to buy.. I'm almost certain Ross Wilson will be doing his job correctly.

Haha remember Moult? I remember getting my head bitten off by a couple of boys on here for insisting he wasn’t actually very good and we should have been aiming higher.

Haha he was a serviceable SPFL striker from memory. I remember he was fairly quick, a decent finisher and really physical. Starting to see a pattern of thinking emerge.

Moult, Cosgrove, Shankland and now Dykes, have all been strongly advocated as guys we should sign by folk on here in recent years.

Haha he was a serviceable SPFL striker from memory. I remember he was fairly quick, a decent finisher and really physical. Starting to see a pattern of thinking emerge.

Moult, Cosgrove, Shankland and now Dykes, have all been strongly advocated as guys we should sign by folk on here in recent years.

He was very physical, to a degree where he’d have been lucky to see out 90 minutes in a Rangers shirt. Decent player for a year and a bit, but in the context of his career it was a bit of a flash in the pan.

We cant talk about £25/30 million for our striker and laugh at Livi who want £2 million for their top scorer, who knows how to score against the beasts.

Came in to post similar, Katic said:

“When you play against a striker like Dykes it’s always tough too because he is really good. Almost he’s on the same level as Alfredo and I think he will become a really top player, it is always hard to play against him."

If we're trying to get more for our players, we can't heehaw when other club's in the league try to do the same. If you take us and the Earl Haigs out the equation, he's the 3rd top scorer in the League.

Given the choice between Dykes or Shankland I'd have Shankland all day long, purely on the basis that goals win games, type of player etc does not guarantee goals, hence the reason why Dykes goal scoring stats are so poor, Shanklands goals are worth a far bigger punt that Dykes imo, that being said neither of them are good enough to win us the League and I'd prefer we aimed a just little bit higher in terms of quality. We cant go out at blow £15M on a goalscorer from down south but we can scour the market for the best possible option available to us, either on a free or a season long loan with options to buy.. I'm almost certain Ross Wilson will be doing his job correctly.
The way we play we need a number 9 that can hold the ball up with strength and power. Shankland is nowhere near good enough on that front.

Looking at the stats, Dykes has managed 1 goal from open play in 27 appearances since club football came back in August. Quite a shocking record for a forward, irrespective of the fact he's playing a deeper, more defensive role.
Nice bump.

Dykes has shown good form for Scotland, he’s proven better technically than I expected which he is due credit for.

He’s a very good hold it up & link the play striker, probably the first one Scotland have had since Fletcher.

However, his form at QPR shows why we were right not to throw 2m quid at him IMO.

Like I said though, he should absolutely be Scotland’s number 9.

Nice bump.

Dykes has shown good form for Scotland, he’s proven better technically than I expected which he is due credit for.

He’s a very good hold it up & link the play striker, probably the first one Scotland have had since Fletcher.

However, his form at QPR shows why we were right not to throw £2m quid at him IMO.

Wouldn't disagree with any of that, albeit I would consider Nisbet ahead of him for certain games.

He's ideal for Scotland but his style is never suited to Rangers.

QPR fans were raving about him last week. Not really seen enough of him myself. Just seen his name trending on twitter, nothing but good comments. I rate the big man. Not a goal scorer but he works his arse off and knows how to trouble a back line. Starter in the summer for the euros

Nice bump.

However, his form at QPR shows why we were right not to throw 2m quid at him IMO.

The difference between Dykes and Fletcher is that Dykes has real pace. For that reason he could easily go on to be a £10M striker. He’s only been playing pro football since he was 20, I believe. I’m disappointed we didn’t go for him, but never mind.

The difference between Dykes and Fletcher is that Dykes has real pace. For that reason he could easily go on to be a £10M striker. He’s only been playing pro football since he was 20, I believe. I’m disappointed we didn’t go for him, but never mind.
He may well do mate, I like Lyndon as a player & he comes across as a thoroughly decent chap.

He would need to start scoring goals though, the roundly mocked Oli Mcburnie hit 22 goals in the championship.

Now, I’m not saying Dykes would need to replicate those numbers because there is more to a strikers game than goals.

But he needs to hit the net a bit more, then who knows because he’s technically sound & a good target man.

Fletcher was a perfectly serviceable 10-12 goals a season premier league striker, remains to be seen if Dykes could do that.

I’ve certainly liked what I’ve seen of him playing for Scotland but I don’t watch the championship so I’ve not seen anything of him playing for QPR to pass any judgment.

if they paid £2M for him and we got Cedric for less I’m happy with that decision but I think he would have proved to be a decent signing for us.

I do think he’d have been sent off a lot though.

I’ve certainly liked what I’ve seen of him playing for Scotland but I don’t watch the championship so I’ve not seen anything of him playing for QPR to pass any judgment.

if they paid £2M for him and we got Cedric for less I’m happy with that decision but I think he would have proved to be a decent signing for us.

I do think he’d have been sent off a lot though.
I believe we got Cedric for £2.7m mate, which is still better value for money IMO.

He may well do mate, I like Lyndon as a player & he comes across as a thoroughly decent chap.

He would need to start scoring goals though, the roundly mocked Oli Mcburnie hit 22 goals in the championship.

Now, I’m not saying Dykes would need to replicate those numbers because there is more to a strikers game than goals.

But he needs to hit the net a bit more, then who knows because he’s technically sound & a good target man.

Fletcher was a perfectly serviceable 10-12 goals a season premier league striker, remains to be seen if Dykes could do that.

Big Jim Thomson would disagree with the bolded point, mate :D

Development/caretaker manager at QOTS, when Dykes came over from Oz he gave him a place to stay & that kind of thing.

Dykes subsequently shagged his missus & is engaged/married to her.

Googled all that....

She's pushing 40 and still cracking. Thomson was punching
They just had a kid. Called tiime.
He's barely 23. In ten years time he will be 33 and she almost 50

Looking at the stats, Dykes has managed 1 goal from open play in 27 appearances since club football came back in August. Quite a shocking record for a forward, irrespective of the fact he's playing a deeper, more defensive role.

“......aye but he’s dropping deep and linking play up well” :rolleyes:

(a normally acceptable excuse for a dire goal return on FF)

5 goals in 14 Championship games is decent if not spectacular, I liked him, but I think Itten will be a better acquisition.

4 of them are penalties I'm sure.

He's a decent striker but he'd be completely unsuited to our style of play. I don't think he suits Warburton's either. Perfect for Livi and Scotland's long ball tactics though.

Every young man should have a go with an older bird who can show him the ropes.

Worked for me.:)

Yes, fair points. I think he’ll score if he gets chances. I’ve only really seen him this season for Scotland and I’ve no fears about him scoring at international level.

Doesn't have the touch or ability we need. He's good with this hold up play when the ball is getting lumped up the park but there's no way he'd fit into our style of play with quick passing and movement against packed opposition penalty boxes.

He was the scottish version of Jardel according to some on here. Didn't want him then and certainly don't want him now.

Doesn't have the touch or ability we need. He's good with this hold up play when the ball is getting lumped up the park but there's no way he'd fit into our style of play with quick passing and movement against packed opposition penalty boxes.
I don’t agree. His first touch is very good, as is his short passing game. See the assist for Ryan Fraser v Israel.

Back