Lyndon Dykes

Thought he gave our centre backs a torrid time, provided a good out ball for Livingston with his hold up play, and posed a threat in behind as well. Not a prolific scorer by any stretch of the imagination, but has bagged a few this season already, and with him being 23, he might yet improve that side of his game.

Big and powerful number 9 who I like the look of, and I wonder what peoples opinions would be on bringing him in January as a 3rd choice striker to replace Lafferty? All hypothetical of course, but I think there's a good player in there, and offers something completely different from Alfie and Defoe. Wouldn't break the bank either...

Thought he gave our centre backs a torrid time, provided a good out ball for Livingston with his hold up play, and posed a threat in behind as well. Not a prolific scorer by any stretch of the imagination, but has bagged a few this season already, and with him being 23, he might yet improve that side of his game.

Big and powerful number 9 who I like the look of, and I wonder what peoples opinions would be on bringing him in January as a 3rd choice striker to replace Lafferty? All hypothetical of course, but I think there's a good player in there, and offers something completely different from Alfie and Defoe. Wouldn't break the bank either...

Should have got sent off for deliberate handball before his challenge that should have seen a straight red.

Looked like a big donkey who depends on fouling to me. A bargain bin version of the other big donkey at Hearts.

Should have got sent off for deliberate handball before his challenge that should have seen a straight red.

Looked like a big donkey who depends on fouling to me. A bargain bin version of the other big donkey at Hearts.

Exactly this. A poor mans Curtis Main or Uche Ikpeazu

Hes not even as good as Lafferty who we got rid of

In short, he's utter shite

Thought he had a good game and got carried away with the physical side, I think he'll be a good player for Livi but not a good signing for us

Watched him quite a few times at queens last season (my local side). His work rate is brilliant and Dobbie wouldn’t of scored half the goals he did last season without him. They worked great together

Will put up the same argument I did in another thread.

We play one striker, we currently have Morelos and Defoe. One of them is going to have to step out for Lyndon fucking Dykes.

During a match, he's going to have to come on as a sub ahead of one of them.

We would have to change our entire shape and squad to fit him in along with another striker.

Absolute madness.

So anytime a player has a no too bad game against us we should sign them, I would suggest at least watch him for a season then judge him, he was Lao sent off for being stupid and the pressure of being a Rangers player could break him

He has to impress in every game he plays. Not just in matches against us. If he can do that he might be worth keeping an eye on.

By fu*k I was glad to see him get a red on Saturday caus our two CH'S made him look like Mark Hateley. First I've seen or heard of the boy due to my ignorance but like many at Ibrox on Saturday we left asking who he was. Hopefully we're calling him a big block of wood after cup game but I'm pretty sure stevie G will not be ignoring him at team talk.

Last edited:
Will put up the same argument I did in another thread.

We play one striker, we currently have Morelos and Defoe. One of them is going to have to step out for Lyndon fucking Dykes.

During a match, he's going to have to come on as a sub ahead of one of them.

We would have to change our entire shape and squad to fit him in along with another striker.

Absolute madness.
If you read the OP, you will see that it states "3rd Choice". So no, he wouldn't play in front of either of them. Only to fill in as and when required, to ensure we wouldn't end up with a semi final Omar Sadiq situation again.

Yes, we really need a big haddy who is more elbow than man for the three games a season we can't play actual footballers lile Morelos or Defoe.

If you read the OP, you will see that it states "3rd Choice". So no, he wouldn't play in front of either of them. Only to fill in as and when required, to ensure we wouldn't end up with a semi final Omar Sadiq situation again.

For how pish he was, Sadiq challenged the defenders with his pace. All Dykes done was stand there looking glaiket unless he had the opportunity to elbow someone.

He just totally doesn't fit what we try to do. I would rather go a Kent Stewart Ojo front three than have Dykes in there.

Could not trap a bag of cement. We have an Academy full of better footballers who cannot break into the first team. He will be at Brechin next season.

For how pish he was, Sadiq challenged the defenders with his pace. All Dykes done was stand there looking glaiket unless he had the opportunity to elbow someone.

He just totally doesn't fit what we try to do. I would rather go a Kent Stewart Ojo front three than have Dykes in there.
The only times the words "Sadiq" and "Challenged" should go in the same sentence is if the word "mentally" is chucked in there

Somebody needs to 'sort' him out early in the cup game. Can see him giving us a torrid time at the back again, especially on the plastic pitch. He is nothing more than a nuisance, but a pretty effective nuisance for them until he got sent off.

The only times the words "Sadiq" and "Challenged" should go in the same sentence is if the word "mentally" is chucked in there

The Aberdeen defence played a high line that day because of the threat Sadiq's pace posed. They would not have to change anything to contain Dykes.

Every time a big rough number 9 plays against us we get this.
No offence OP but he’s nowhere near the quality needed in today’s game and the 3 or 4 posts on him since Saturday are mental.

We only looked half decent because he was their only outball. Every time they got the ball it was him they hit. That's why he stood out.

We try to get all of our players involved and mix it up, that's why he doesn't fit the system.

Somebody needs to 'sort' him out early in the cup game. Can see him giving us a torrid time at the back again, especially on the plastic pitch. He is nothing more than a nuisance, but a pretty effective nuisance for them until he got sent off.
He'll be off after about 15 minutes against the filth.

Every time a big rough number 9 plays against us we get this.
No offence OP but he’s nowhere near the quality needed in today’s game and the 3 or 4 posts on him since Saturday are mental.

Yeah, I don't quite understand this myself but I'm also aware many fans seem to want this type of striker at Ibrox.

My argument against it every time is that you need to set up an entire team to make the most of that type of player. The player also needs to be more than just a big, strong player. Think back to "options" like Thompson, Velicka, Lafferty, Gayle - they weren't good for us as they not only didn't have the ability but our style of play wasn't designed to make the most of them.

Generic thread every time someone has a half decent game against us.

How's that Shkupi LB getting on btw?

A touch of Rogic about him the way our players were bouncing off him.Worth a go at 23 and a good route 1 option when our tikka takka doesn’t work

Yeah, I don't quite understand this myself but I'm also aware many fans seem to want this type of striker at Ibrox.

My argument against it every time is that you need to set up an entire team to make the most of that type of player. The player also needs to be more than just a big, strong player. Think back to "options" like Thompson, Velicka, Lafferty, Gayle - they weren't good for us as they not only didn't have the ability but our style of play wasn't designed to make the most of them.
@strider Point well made, but the OP wasn't outwardly saying "lets sign Dykes". It was intended to spark discussion (which it has), and highlighting that the boy does have the foundations to become a good target man. He's only 23, and the more technical aspects of his game might prove to come playing in a better side, with better coaches. What I think sets him apart from some of the other diddies being chucked about on this thread is how mobile he is, and he has a very good turn of pace. One for watching I think, and seeing how his season plays out.

@strider Point well made, but the OP wasn't outwardly saying "lets sign Dykes". It was intended to spark discussion (which it has), and highlighting that the boy does have the foundations to become a good target man. He's only 23, and the more technical aspects of his game might prove to come playing in a better side, with better coaches. What I think sets him apart from some of the other diddies being chucked about on this thread is how mobile he is, and he has a very good turn of pace. One for watching I think, and seeing how his season plays out.

I guess it's possible.

At 23, he's the same age as Morelos. I think you'll agree he's not close to his level.

And that's the level we need, or close to it if a player is coming into the team to replace him, even as a third choice.

I wasn't overly impressed by him personally. As I said, maybe it's just a personal preference thing.

Genuinely the first player we've came up against this season who's got the better of Katic in the air.

He played well Saturday and caused our CB’s problems all day. Will be interesting to see how he shows up in the cup tie next week.

Would need to do it consistently (which he hasn’t managed so far) before he’d even be considered as an option for us.

Back