Lyndon Dykes

We should just give up football if we ever sign a big lump like Dykes

I said repeatedly during the match how utterly useless he is. Lump the ball to him. Bash. Barge. Foul. Moan.

He’s utter dung.

Definately a place for a guy like Dykes at Ibrox. Be handy for carrying the kit, cleaning t he e bus etc. But not playing football. Has no talent for our team. Not even remotely close.

You could get a big eejit off the street to run in to defenders and throw themselves on the deck. Same job as Lyndon Dykes. He's fucking dreadful.

He looked bad today because we made him look bad.

Whenever the ball went long to him, we just doubled up. A midfielder in front (normally Kamara) and a centre back behind him. Resulted in us winning most of the aerial challenges.

You can see that we don’t make the same mistake twice when we play teams. Good omen. Handled Ikpeazu last Sunday without fuss, and handled Dykes yesterday very easily.

To play for us, a striker needs to be technically good regardless of physicality because we face tight, compact defenses in the spl so space is limited. That is one of the reasons Lafferty was a failure 2nd time around.

Difficult to judge Dykes on that performance as he got bossed by our excellent defence & clearly became frustated from about 60min onwards. However from what I've seen generally, i severely doubt he technically able enough to suit us.

He didn't have a good game yesterday because he wasn't allowed to. Any time a ball came near him he, he was met by Helander or Goldson.

They never got too tight this time around and their timing of the challenge was excellent. Helander must have won nearly every challenge on Dykes and Goldson bullied him.

There was a controlled aggressiveness about us yesterday, especially along out back four.

You saw the amount of times Dykes threw his arms about in disgust at his team mates for not supporting him or getting to the ball first after we had won an aerial dual - our defence and midfield dominated them, they couldn't deal with that aggressiveness, movement or pressing that Jack, Aribo and Kamara brought.

He's a niggly bully with limited ability & 'normal' refs would card him into lengthy periods of suspension every season
(in my opinion - if he had a Gers shirt on his back he'd be sent off every other week)

Why would we want to sign him ?

He struggled against what is quote easily the best CB pairing in the country who cost the best part of 7 million

That wouldn't be our ask of him if we were to sign him.

He has looked on the whole a pretty competent football player in games against us.

The notion of being as dismissive of players on here at times is quite odd.

I'm not having a go, but can you name one "third option" striker of that ilk that's ever been good for us?

If you play with that sort of striker, you need to build a team around them, and they better be good enough to deserve that. Think Hateley, Prso, Jelavic - all miles better players.

Lafferty, Thompson, Velicka, Gayle, Garner, Herrera, Ostenstadt - all brought in to be an "option", all failed.
only one i can think of is Duke box, loved that boy.

people go on about this 3rd option or something different. That's not how we play it's not our game so I fail to see where he fits in as we don't play hoof ball like Aberdeen or Livingston ect.

Exactly. You bring on someone like Dykes or any big target man, and you automatically have to revert to one type of football.

Along with being a generally poor player, it's why Herrera never worked out. If he played for a team of hammer throwers they would have got the best out of him. We just never played anything like the football he's intended for.

He struggled against what is quote easily the best CB pairing in the country who cost the best part of 7 million

That wouldn't be our ask of him if we were to sign him.

He has looked on the whole a pretty competent football player in games against us.

The notion of being as dismissive of players on here at times is quite odd.

'Pretty Competent' ??

Sorry mate - can't see it myself

I agree that's dismissive though

Dykes is a big battering ram, nothing more. A competent defence dealt with him without breaking a sweat. He would probably play about 30 minutes a month for us coming on as a substitute because Morelos and Defoe are on a different planet. If we were, God forbid, in dire straits and both of them were out then Stewart or Kent could play up front in an emergency.

Dykes is an Australian Steven McLean. You don't need to be a lumbering oaf to play as the big man up top, Morelos plays that role better than any striker we have had since Jelavic or Prso becuse he and they are actual footballers.

Can only imagine the people advocating this signing are those who within five minutes of a match at Ibrox are screaming "GET IT IN THE F.UCKIN' BOAX" until their eyes are bulging out of their heads.

Dykes is a big battering ram, nothing more. A competent defence dealt with him without breaking a sweat. He would probably play about 30 minutes a month for us coming on as a substitute because Morelos and Defoe are on a different planet. If we were, God forbid, in dire straits and both of them were out then Stewart or Kent could play up front in an emergency.

Dykes is an Australian Steven McLean. You don't need to be a lumbering oaf to play as the big man up top, Morelos plays that role better than any striker we have had since Jelavic or Prso becuse he and they are actual footballers.

Can only imagine the people advocating this signing are those who within five minutes of a match at Ibrox are screaming "GET IT IN THE F.UCKIN' BOAX" until their eyes are bulging out of their heads.
As I have said on the handful of occasions I’ve seen dykes he has caused us and the poets problems with yesterday being the exception. However on that small sample I can’t say if he would be good enough for us or not and agree he doesn’t fit into our style of play.
However a player like him would come in handy even if only for 30 minutes a month.
Look at the first game v the poets. They hemmed us in and we couldn’t get our midfield going so we resorted to having to hoof the ball high up the top park to Defoe and Morelos and they won every header. Our normal style of play was out the window that day so another option on that day could have helped imo.

The defence played him well yesterday their was one run in the first half not sure if it was Dykes where Helander was caught for pace but other than that they bossed him.
Dykes also threw an elbow with every jump he did.

As I have said on the handful of occasions I’ve seen dykes he has caused us and the poets problems with yesterday being the exception. However on that small sample I can’t say if he would be good enough for us or not and agree he doesn’t fit into our style of play.
However a player like him would come in handy even if only for 30 minutes a month.
Look at the first game v the poets. They hemmed us in and we couldn’t get our midfield going so we resorted to having to hoof the ball high up the top park to Defoe and Morelos and they won every header. Our normal style of play was out the window that day so another option on that day could have helped imo.

The problem vs. Celtic was the manager being too timid/clever with his team selection and formation. The issue was not lacking a Dykes-type player.

Probably been mentioned but he's 24 and scored how many career goals?

Going by wiki (and I know it is league goals) he has scored a total of 16 goals.

10 of them in 86 matches for Queen of the South. I really don't see how a player who is clearly used as a battering ram rather than a striker to get goals is being considered for us by some fans. Only my opinion, but he is crap.

No, whether dykes is good enough I don’t know as I’ve only seen him a total of 4 times. 3 v us and 1 v the scum. My opinion is that a big rumble who’s decent in the air up front would be a decent 3rd option to have.
Play that style for us and he would be suspended half the season.

Not going into debating whether we should sign him, but sometimes people should take a step back and try to be objective. Livingston`s manager looks like an US boot-camp sergeant and has his players playing that Wimbledon-like physical approach to grind out results.

I would suspect Dykes is asked to do what he is doing, not the fancy flicks. Looking at his stats, at 24 he has played in a variety of positions (and we know how much we like such a versitality) and scored goals and assists along the way. For no clubs of great name, but how many of our recruits have that magnificent a pedigree as well?

If we look at Kent and Morelos, perhaps a few others too, we note how playing with better players and being coached by true and experienced professionals can turn a player with potential into a really good one, instead of letting him waste away.

In any case, I only get interested in the lad when we actually look at him.

If cheap get the boy signed in January , might make the difference as a sub coming on last 10 minutes when the panic button is pressed , big guy presence in the box is something we do not have

If cheap get the boy signed in January , might make the difference as a sub coming on last 10 minutes when the panic button is pressed , big guy presence in the box is something we do not have
We going to have him on the bench instead of Defoe?

Add Dykes to the long list of bang average players who play out their skin against us in this league in teams that suit them but are nowhere near good enough.

Back