Lyon Away (Dec 9)

das

EasyJet just cancelled my Bristol to Lyon flight on the morning of 9 December. No other options from Bristol. Damn. Off to explore alternatives.
I'm beginning to wonder if EasyJet have any planes the way they keep cancelling them :))

I've moved my Copenhagen ones to Ryanair but I'm still with EasyJet to Geneva for lyon and they haven't been cancelled yet although the one back doesn't look very busy as it's very cheap still

interbear

Geneva then the train through

Only Bristol flight gets into Geneva at 16:15 on the Thursday which is cutting it a bit fine :)

I‘m going to cancel altogether, too much hassle by far. I’ll look forward to European trips when travel has settled down to something approaching normality.

Cross Keys Rab

You can still get flights on Opodo for about £200. We're going via Amsterdam on the way out and via Frankfurt on the way back. Only a couple of hours in Amsterdam and Frankfurt as well.

That's from Glasgow.

Last edited:

JamieBTB

Official Ticketer
You can still get flights on Opodo for about £200. We're going via Amsterdam on the way out and via Frankfurt on the way back. Only a couple of hours in Amsterdam and Frankfurt as well.
manchester to geneva is 45 quid return and the train is 50 return

Forfar_Bear

Only Bristol flight gets into Geneva at 16:15 on the Thursday which is cutting it a bit fine :)

I‘m going to cancel altogether, too much hassle by far. I’ll look forward to European trips when travel has settled down to something approaching normality.
You can fly into Paris from Bristol then only 2 hours on the train.

BlueHeaven1872

Official Ticketer
EasyJet just cancelled my Bristol to Lyon flight on the morning of 9 December. No other options from Bristol. Damn. Off to explore alternatives.
Same we’re flying Glasgow to Bristol on Wednesday and onto Lyon on Thursday. Took the voucher and booked Luton to Lyon on Thursday lunchtime and changed the Glasgow to Bristol to Luton on the Thursday morning.

Arrive Lyon 1530 so straight to hotel which is at the stadium anyway. We’re back via Bristol on the Saturday but I’m expecting that to be cancelled as well.

Alpinebear

Ok advanced party has arrived!
Pretty painless so far good public transport.
A couple of small places about 500m from stadium selling beers. Barrier check for health pass.
Loads of space around stadium.
Mini bars inside, sipping an IPA as I type.

Bangers going off, atmosphere building.

Andrew webb

That's from Glasgow.
What are covid rules going through Frankfurt and Amsterdam ? Like to show you have a negative test ?
as i was thinking of going through the above named airport s
advice please

Alpinebear

Looks like Brondby fans in section 430

Pretty poor home support, all of top tier around stadium empty apart from Brondby fans

GEODGC

Official Ticketer
Looks like Brondby fans in section 430

Pretty poor home support, all of top tier around stadium empty apart from Brondby fans
Thanks for the update. I’m in section 122 so not too far from the bears if I don’t get a Rangers section ticket.
Is it possible to walk up and down to the different tiers?
Did they scan your health pass or did you just show them the paper copy?
Apologies if you actually live outside the UK as your username suggests.

das

Thanks for the update. I’m in section 122 so not too far from the bears if I don’t get a Rangers section ticket.
Down load the french tousanticovid app and scan the Scottish QR codes and you will be fine I would think. That's what I've done

Alpinebear

Every stairwell has a steward checking TKTS. Suppose it depends on the night. You can walk sideways to different sections. Beer available inside, loads of outlets, cash and card.

GEODGC

Official Ticketer
Down load the french tousanticovid app and scan the Scottish QR codes and you will be fine I would think. That's what I've done
I have that mate. I was just wondering what the poster Alpinebear had done.

Alpinebear

0-0 half time. Mostly Lyon in possession and a couple of chances as have Brondby down their right wing. Brondby left back looks suspect. Not bad atmosphere with the two supporters groups behind the goals.

das

Mine too but only the flight out, which was apparently full????
Was it full or just unavailable? My Gatwick flight to Copenhagen looked full as it was no longer available to book then they cancelled it the next day

interbear

Mine too but only the flight out, which was apparently full????

Same here. No reason given. Flight back from Lyon on the Saturday was still running. Seems to be happening quite frequently at the moment. I cancelled everything for a refund, can’t be bothered with the hassle of finding an alternative route, I’m going to defer European trips until things are a little less complicated.

Alpinebear

Some photos from my visit on Thursday.

Nice big stadium with lots a food and drink outlets. There are some places around the stadium but I imagine a cold December night you will be better off in the city centre then heading out to stadium.

Tram number 3(T3) from Lyon Part-Dieu takes you to a station about a 10 min walk away. T7 takes you straight to the stadium.

The first half wasn't great but Lyon played better 2nd half. Brondby looked pretty crap with a long ball used to their big striker to hold up and wait for support. On saying that they did have two good chances but the player lacked conviction.

If we don't beat Brondby then we don't deserve to progress in the tournament.
Lyon have two supporters groups directly behind each goal who kept the atmosphere going during the game.

Last edited:

GEODGC

Official Ticketer
Thanks for the update @Alpinebear. It looks like the whole of the top tier was closed off? What section were you in mate? Apologies if you have posted this previously in the thread.

Alpinebear

Thanks for the update @Alpinebear. It looks like the whole of the top tier was closed off? What section were you in mate? Apologies if you have posted this previously in the thread.
I was in section 120. I'm tempted to ask the ticket office if I can move to near the rangers section.

GEODGC

Official Ticketer
I was in section 120. I'm tempted to ask the ticket office if I can move to near the rangers section.
We have tickets for 121. I reckon we will get Rangers end tickets now anyway, these were just as back up in case there were no away fans allowed.

Andrew webb

Some photos from my visit on Thursday.

Nice big stadium with lots a food and drink outlets. There are some places around the stadium but I imagine a cold December night you will be better off in the city centre then heading out to stadium.

Tram number 3(T3) from Lyon Part-Dieu takes you to a station about a 10 min walk away. T7 takes you straight to the stadium.

The first half wasn't great but Lyon played better 2nd half. Brondby looked pretty crap with a long ball used to their big striker to hold up and wait for support. On saying that they did have two good chances but the player lacked conviction.

If we don't beat Brondby then we don't deserve to progress in the tournament.
Lyon have two supporters groups directly behind each goal who kept the atmosphere going during the game.

Brilliant advice and photo s
Did u visit the lyon superstore ? And did they sell half and half friendship scarf s and programmes ?
hopefully they do for our game in December
Thanks mate

leroyjohnson

Doing Edinburgh-Belfast-Lyon on the Wednesday, leaving first thing. Then Geneva - Edinburgh on the way back on the Saturday morning. £150 including the train to Geneva from Lyon.

All with EasyJet, so let’s see what they have in store re: cancellations.

CooperTrueBlue

Official Ticketer
Many fans staying in Geneva for the trip or will most be directly in Lyon?

We are direct in Lyon.

My Mrs aunt stays in Geneva so my original plan was to go and stay there and travel in however that would've meant the Mrs coming so I patched that idea.

Kimarcus

Going to this one but giving Brondby a by as I was too slow getting flights for that one.

Glasgow > Paris on Tuesday then the train down to Lyon that day
Lyon > Edinburgh on the Saturday

Benibear

We are direct in Lyon.

My Mrs aunt stays in Geneva so my original plan was to go and stay there and travel in however that would've meant the Mrs coming so I patched that idea.
You should have taken your wife then me and your favourite auntie could have met up.

Joe_1991

Yes mate everyone thinks France is nicey nicey because they surrendered in the war but when I went to Paris in 1998 I got the shock of my life, you think Scotland is bad for neds , I’ll never forget Paris that night got sprayed in the eyes truncheoned from the back and chased in fear of my life, the fact we won on penalties was the only redeeming feature of that trip I’d never go back certainly wouldn’t take the wife for a “ romantic “ weekend either whic hse isn’t happy about
Never been to Lyon. But fully agree that Paris is an absolute dump. Refugees lying on the floor everywhere , Roma Gypsies begging and trying to sell you stuff. Once a great city ruined by the EU, very little identity left as the capital of France

Jimmymac1955

A Lone Ranger just booked Wed, Edin - Belfast - Lyon and Fri, Lyon - Gatwick - Edinburgh.
Ant recommendations for digs Wed and Thurs troops?

LyonGer

A Lone Ranger just booked Wed, Edin - Belfast - Lyon and Fri, Lyon - Gatwick - Edinburgh.
Look on booking.com sort by distance from centre. Look for place in 1eme, 2eme, 3eme if near The Rhone River. 5eme but expensive.

There's a few apartments for 100 + a night, also a few hotels between 1-200 €. Per night.
Fetes des Luminaries is on whilst we play, so prices will be higher.

These 2 are pretty central.

If you need any advice on areas let me know.

Last edited:

Jimmymac1955

Look on booking.com sort by distance from centre. Look for place in 1eme, 2eme, 3eme.

There's a few apartments for 100 + a night, also a few hotels between 1-200 €. Per night.
Fetes des Luminaries is on whilst we play, so prices will be higher.

These 2 are pretty central.

https://www.booking.com/hotel/fr/du-simplon.en-gb.html

If you need any advice on areas let me know.
Thanks for that

VelvetThunder

What times/prices are your flights if you don't mind me asking? Lufthansa cancelled ours Wed-Fri and looking into alternatives just now.

Jimmymac1955

What times/prices are your flights if you don't mind me asking? Lufthansa cancelled ours Wed-Fri and looking into alternatives just now.
I had a voucher and had to book them all separately
Edin - Belfast 07.05. £29.99
Belfast - Lyon 10.30. £68.99
Lyon - Gatwick 07.05. £52.60
Gatwick - Edinburgh 14.50. £68.99
All EasyJet.

LyonGer

1. Place Bellecour. The big square we were at last time and Metro to Part-Dieu for stadium Tram. Lots of restaurants and cafes near by.

2. Perrache Station Tram to part dieu then change tram for stadium. Irish pub on place Carnot. You can walk from perrache to bellecour in 10-15 minutes up Rue Victor Hugo which is pedestrianised.

3. Old town. British pubs, clubs and restaurants area.

4. The Wallace (Scottish pub on the river next to Gare St Paul.) Had the tunes on last time and footage on big screen. My Ex says there is a Wallace 2 in Vaise, will need to double check.

5. Tram to Stadium. Tram T3 & T7 to the stadium. Please note you will need to go through train station as Gare Villette is on opposite side of tracks from Metro and tram from Perrache / Bellecour.

6. Hotel de ville / Terreaux Area. A few British pubs, Ayers Rock (Aussie) and loads of restaurants. You can walk from Bellecour to here in 10-20 mins via Rue de la Republic (again pedestrianised.

Fête des Luminaries is also on in Lyon at the same time. (Festival of Lights and live performances) so pubs, clubs, hotels and restaurants will be busy.

Last edited:

Alpinebear

If you take tram T3 get off at Décines -Grand Large.

I asked Lyon TO if it was possible to change seats closer to our fans, not possible.