Lyon game. Play our best team or rest a few?

Best team or rest a few?

• Best team - prize money

Votes: 194 33.9%
  • Rest a few - hectic schedule

Votes: 378 66.1%

• Total voters
Rest a few, I honestly couldn’t care if we get beat comfortably. I’d rather have first team players sharp for the Hearts away game

Rotate, 100%.

We have a crazy December schedule and any chance we get to give our important players a rest we should take.

Jobs done as far as qualifying in Europe so focus should be on winning every league game through the winter period. If that means resting players for Lyon then that’s what should be done. Winning the league is the priority and navigating our way through December/January will play a big part in winning or losing it imo

Depends how Gio views it.

Best team and see how they perform against top class opposition or try something different.

Personally, I think it’ll be the former as he’ll really want to gauge our best against theirs.

We're in the next round, so rest a few players. We have a number of players who can come in and get valuable game time.

can`t see lyon playing a full squad tbh.i think they`ll rest some players and give others a run out. they have nothing to lose!!!

Play fringe players and see if they take their chance. The likes of Fashion should be starting

I would play the likes of Sakala,Wright, Bacuna, Lundsturm,Bassey, Patterson and McLaughlin. Give them a chance to see what they can do.

Not talking full blown start Kelly, Ritchie-Hosler and weston...

But ti think it would be a good opportunity to give Wright, Patterson, Bacuna and Sakala starts... But only if they have been showing they are deserving in training! Same goes for anyone else on the fringes. "Work your socks off this week and you could be starting next week" should be the message!

JMcL
NP
Connor
Balogun (if fit)
Bassey
Lundstram
Bacuna
Kamara
Wright
Fashion Jr
Kent

Lot of pace and hit balls in behind their high defensive line.

I'd say play best team although thw obvious change of Patterson for Tav and more game time.for Ryan Jack could be an option.

We need the team to take every opportunity to get used to Gio's new system.

I also think every coefficient point is precious and worth money we can't ignore especially when you are rewarded for 10 year coefficients.

I have always been a believer for playing strongest team every game.
On this occasion though as the result makes no difference better to rotate.

I think Van Bronckhorst will take the chance to use it like he would a decent level friendly. It's a chance to try out some things without any real pressure.

Lyon have cantered the group and I think will rest a few to give some of their younger guys the experience. Go with a strong team and try to get the win bonus

I am somewhere in the middle. Gio hasn't had the benefits of preseason friendlies to experiment and try things. So rest a few and try some fringe or youth players but also if wanting to tweak tactics a strong squad would be required to see if it works.

Given there is nothing really to play for but prize money I would leave the 11 intended to start against Hearts at home

Play to win, there's no such thing as a dead rubber for this club. We have a strong squad, the momentum to be gained from a result against Lyon outweighs the risk of injuries.

The team we face in the next qualifying round of Europa are likely to be of a similar quality to Lyon so we should use the match as preparation for that rather than as an opportunity to change things / rest in advance of Hearts.
We are not winning the europa league. Not this year anyway. Beating hearts is ultimately far more important in the big picture. Either way I’m sure we have sports scientists etc or whatever they are to advise on players fitness, needs etc. But from a purely football point it makes sense to rest them all

Not talking full blown start Kelly, Ritchie-Hosler and weston...

But ti think it would be a good opportunity to give Wright, Patterson, Bacuna and Sakala starts... But only if they have been showing they are deserving in training! Same goes for anyone else on the fringes. "Work your socks off this week and you could be starting next week" should be the message!
Not sure they are in the squad for European games

I'd rest his for now preferred first 11, all of them. Would give him a little more time to get his plans across to them in training without worrying about a game that midweek, and will allow the rest to try and play their way into his first 11. Plus hectic schedule etc, so would help with that too.

I dont think you can say theres nothing to play for when theres money and prestige on the line in an important competition, not to mention the confidence that can be gained from getting a result vs such a high calibre opponent.

Its got to be a balance of the fixture lists so Id expect 2 or 3 changes with some semi-regular starters making the XI and probably a Keeper swap but its not going to be a Brendan Rodgers toss away with no interest in the fixture, that can ultimately be rather damaging should the result be a heavy loss.

Its actually a useful opportunity to test a few players at the level with the knock-out round pending and Gio not yet having had enough time to really gauge all the players fitting into his style. Particularly at that elite level.

We’re short of central defenders and wouldn’t want to risk injury to Goldson. I would give King a game. He’s in the squad so should be given a chance - play some defensive midfielders to provide extra cover.

Rest.

We have a mental fixture schedule plus it’ll let Gio see what some players are capable of.

Half a million quid for the win is worth going for, obviously don’t risk players with niggles etc, but play as strong a side as possible I’d say.

No question rest a few, chaotic December and it’s a dead rubber. What’s to be gained from playing the first team ?

Back