Madjid bougherra

greggakd

Other than the famous wink and constantly losing his passport after playing with Algeria what’s your best memories of the big man?

One of my first games back at Ibrox for about 9 years was the 7-2 pumping of Dundee Utd and his solo goal, as well as getting booked at the chamber of secrets and knocking the refs hand back down. always sits well in my mind. Was a rock solid defender and from memory was very fond of a badge kiss and appreciating and acknowledging the fans

Not as good a defender as Cuellar who he replaced but a decent replacement none the less I'd argue with his footwork and dribbling agility he would actually do a decent job further up the pitch he had all the attributes for it coming to think about it him and Cuellar would have been an excellent partnership

The match at Old Trafford always sticks out for me.

He was man of the match against a team that went all the way to the final that year. He was literally our playmaker that night carrying the ball out of defence at ease trying to set up counter-attacks against the second best team in Europe at the time.

I honestly believe he’s the best defender we’ve had since the turn of the millennium. He was also a massive reason we won three titles in a row. Phenomenal player.

My memory is that on the pitch he was a class act. A solid defender who also had more attacking quality than most attackers in Scotland. I remember he was a rock in the 1-0 OF game at Ibrox where Davis scored winner. Everything they threw into the box Boogie seemed to get a head on and clear. I also remember a prominent poster on here reacting with “oh joy, a Charlton player” when we signed him.

And of course Grand Theft Boogie/Dioufy. Ahhh good times

_52126276_gersplayers466.jpg

He was man of the match against a team that went all the way to the final that year. He was literally our playmaker that night carrying the ball out of defence at ease trying to set up counter-attacks against the second best team in Europe at the time.

I honestly believe he’s the best defender we’ve had since the turn of the millennium. He was also a massive reason we won three titles in a row. Phenomenal player.
We were the only team to keep a clean sheet at old Trafford that season as well, fun fact for you

Loved him what a player he was for us. Was so quick to spot danger and snuff it out. Not many got the better of him

Not as good a defender as Cuellar who he replaced but a decent replacement none the less I'd argue with his footwork and dribbling agility he would actually do a decent job further up the pitch he had all the attributes for it coming to think about it him and Cuellar would have been an excellent partnership
I'd agree he wasn't as good a defender as Cuellar but he was exactly the right replacement at that time due to his pace while playing next to Weir

The last very good footballing defender we had. Whilst Cuellar for me was the more solid of the two I think Boogie slotted in perfectly alongside and ageing Weir. I’d have liked to have seen him and Carlos together though.

Couldn't believe how good he was especially after Cuellar leaving.

Solid, commanding, good at tackling, great anticipation of danger, read the game well, and excellent at bringing the ball out from the back, and he was quick and had pace.

We've had nothing like him or Cuellar for that matter since imo.

We could be doing with a Cuellar/Bougherra type player we have nothing like that in our defence at the moment unfortunately.

A fantastic player for us. So consistent. Could get you a goal. And always done well against them. Good in Europe too and as others have mentioned had a very good game against England at the 2010 world cup where his Algeria side got a 0 0 draw.

Haven’t seen a player like him at all at Rangers, driving runs from centre back we’re immense. Used to try them myself without realising I was slow as %^*& and if I lost the ball I wasn’t getting back. Dundee United goal my abiding memory.

One of my favourite players from the last 20 years.

I honestly cannot remember him having a bad game, and he was regularly excellent.

He had pace, ability, determination and was excellent at reading a game. I always felt the defence would be fine if he was playing.

Loved the long dribbling runs he went on. Forgot he was a defender sometimes

He had a prime Wayne Rooney in his pocket twice in in the space of a year played for Algeria against England at the world cup aswell that takes some doing

For all his rampaging runs forward, I can't recall us losing a single goal from being out of position or losing possession with them. A superb player. Reliable and very consistent. He left us too early.

Cracking player, only thing that stopped him moving to a bigger club was his inability to keep his passport in a safe place.

For all his rampaging runs forward, I can't recall us losing a single goal from being out of position or losing possession with them. A superb player. Reliable and very consistent. He left us too early.
From memory he rejected a new contract? Or made it clear he wanted to move on. He was definitely out of contract when he left

Loved him.

Bumped in to him and a friend of his in town one day. He asked if we wanted a picture. I took one of him and my pals then he fucked off before I could get in :D

He came into my old work in Buchanan Street. Asked him for a photo and autograph and he was very kind to oblige. Came across as a lovely man. The girl he was with as well was a 10.

We've been spoiled over the years with some great central defenders but none as good as Bougherra with the ball at feet.

The big fellow was a rock. Great dribbling skills and fast feet for a guy his size. Loved that wink as well. Class.

Back