Magnificent CQN blog post

immortal7

Official Ticketer
Highlights:

Lengthy apologia from Lawwells fluffer, reading between the lines it is really a lap it up/lay down and grunt FU from their board
Twat Busby staying out of loyalty to players he personally convinced to stay for the 10* B-D
Only other option short term is TBMIS
Howe a defo no-go
Looking for a manager on the way up, but not yet hit heights of a big 5 leaguer
Tims certain it'll be Jack Ross

"I have no doubt this morning’s press reports on Celtic’s plans for the months ahead are correct. We are told the club “is planning an overhaul of their football operations in the summer that would see significant changes to their set-up.” There is a great deal you can surmise from that statement. “Overhaul… of football operations”, “significant changes”, leaves zero doubt Neil Lennon will be moving on and suggests wider changes are likely. It is also safe to assume Neil is on-board with this and has agreed to remain in charge until the end of the season, or a suitable replacement arrives. Neil would not go through this torture were it not out of a sense of responsibility towards the players, several of whom he personally convinced to stay for this ‘important season’. Malicious talk of holding out for a payoff is well wide of the mark. What is also clear is that Celtic are not happy to appoint any manager who is prepared to come to the club right now. This precludes those out of work, or those who are not prepared to ‘Do a Brendan’ and leave their current project with trophies still to be won and lost. The new industry is not always as helpful. Last night reports that betting was suspended on Eddie Howe getting the job received plenty of clicks. Eddie has his eyes on a different target and will almost certainly pick up an English Premiership job this year. He is as likely to come to Celtic as another fantasy appointment, Mauricio Pochettino, was, before choosing Paris when he could have made his home in Glasgow. If only it was that easy. If we take the ‘Get real’ suggestions off the table, I know the photo fit you are working with. Someone who has over-performed in a different environment, who is technically razor sharp and can bring knowledge of a value market. They will have a successful track record, one that is short enough that they have not already moved up the food chain, but one longer than Ronny Deila’s mercurial rise at Stromsgodset. We now know that the skills required to achieve one season of spectacular success is Norway does not automatically equip a manager for what on paper looks an easier task. The Goldilocks candidate, enough of a spectacular record, but not too much that they have already got their move. The quick fix if Neil leaves is John Kennedy as interim or someone, like Ronny, who cannot believe he’s been offered the Celtic job. Or let Neil complete the season and attempt to add the Scottish Cup and leave his second term trophy report reading 6 out of 8. I am not recommending either option, it’s too complicated to sit on the outside and suggest a fix with any conviction – not matter how convinced this is an easy one, it’s not. If Neil remains until the end of the season it will not be because he needs the money, or because he deserves the respect of a Celtic hero (although he does), it is because the business of succession has to be settled. My preference would be to spend these months doing reconnaissance; better to do it right than to do it early, but the galleries have loved a blood letting since the Colosseum, we know how it works."

Weird that they seem to have lost any confidence in their ability to attract someone of the calibre they think they deserve. They've been the masters at bigging themselves up, yet are now holding onto a manager who is clearly not delivering, when there is still silverware to compete for ,or at the very least, a chance for a new manager to come in and see if he can get a tune out of the players for the remainder of the season and see who, if any, he wants to work with going forward.

By clinging onto TLB, they are accepting the slow decline of an already deflated squad.

Works for me, I just can't fathom their strategy right now.

I would be very comfortable if he got it.

He's not a well known name so his name alone won't attract big players.

Yes, he's articulate, but vastly overrated IMO.
More importantly, is he one of ‘ them ‘ ? Because if he isn’t, he’d be on very borrowed time.

Eddie has his eyes on a different target and will almost certainly pick up an English Premiership job this year. He is as likely to come to Celtic as another fantasy appointment, Mauricio Pochettino, was, before choosing Paris when he could have made his home in Glasgow.

This made me laugh for real. Never mind the Pooh bit, but their apparent reality check that Eddie Howe doesn’t want to touch them with a bargepole. Set your sights high, bhoys :))

“..... as I know the photo fit you are working with. Someone who has over-performed in a different environment, who is technically razor sharp and can bring knowledge of a value market. They will have a successful track record, one that is short enough that they have not already moved up the food chain”

Well they can %^*& off if they think they are getting Gerrard!

Speaking of mentally challenged blogs, where’s that slabbercabbage Joe O;Rourke?

He seems awfully quiet :D

Someone who has over-performed in a different environment, who is technically razor sharp and can bring knowledge of a value market. They will have a successful track record, one that is short enough that they have not already moved up the food chain, but one longer than Ronny Deila’s mercurial rise at Stromsgodset.

It would seem they are holding out for Steve Evans....I mean he's got a manager of the month award.

Large

Interesting that they are going to put a director of football role in place, something that if I recall correctly was roundly sneered at in the media when we were looking to appoint Mark Allen.

We’ve seen that it takes a few years to put the foundations in place and reap any rewards, thankfully their dinosaur board didn’t look to implement this when they were riding high. It’s going to be a lot tougher for them now.

Sounds an awful lot like the noises we made pre McLeish. Is the current Hibs manager likely to work the wonders he was able to on next to no budget? I am not convinced he can nor is he inheriting Ferguson, De Boer, Amoruso etc.

Someone who has over-performed in a different environment, who is technically razor sharp and can bring knowledge of a value market. They will have a successful track record, one that is short enough that they have not already moved up the food chain, but one longer than Ronny Deila’s mercurial rise at Stromsgodset.

It would seem they are holding out for Steve Evans....I mean he's got a manager of the month award.

Large
His trousers probably fell down as that photo was taken.

Highlights:

Lengthy apologia from Lawwells fluffer, reading between the lines it is really a lap it up/lay down and grunt FU from their board
Twat Busby staying out of loyalty to players he personally convinced to stay for the 10* B-D
Only other option short term is TBMIS
Howe a defo no-go
Looking for a manager on the way up, but not yet hit heights of a big 5 leaguer
Tims certain it'll be Jack Ross

"I have no doubt this morning’s press reports on Celtic’s plans for the months ahead are correct. We are told the club “is planning an overhaul of their football operations in the summer that would see significant changes to their set-up.” There is a great deal you can surmise from that statement. “Overhaul… of football operations”, “significant changes”, leaves zero doubt Neil Lennon will be moving on and suggests wider changes are likely. It is also safe to assume Neil is on-board with this and has agreed to remain in charge until the end of the season, or a suitable replacement arrives. Neil would not go through this torture were it not out of a sense of responsibility towards the players, several of whom he personally convinced to stay for this ‘important season’. Malicious talk of holding out for a payoff is well wide of the mark. What is also clear is that Celtic are not happy to appoint any manager who is prepared to come to the club right now. This precludes those out of work, or those who are not prepared to ‘Do a Brendan’ and leave their current project with trophies still to be won and lost. The new industry is not always as helpful. Last night reports that betting was suspended on Eddie Howe getting the job received plenty of clicks. Eddie has his eyes on a different target and will almost certainly pick up an English Premiership job this year. He is as likely to come to Celtic as another fantasy appointment, Mauricio Pochettino, was, before choosing Paris when he could have made his home in Glasgow. If only it was that easy. If we take the ‘Get real’ suggestions off the table, I know the photo fit you are working with. Someone who has over-performed in a different environment, who is technically razor sharp and can bring knowledge of a value market. They will have a successful track record, one that is short enough that they have not already moved up the food chain, but one longer than Ronny Deila’s mercurial rise at Stromsgodset. We now know that the skills required to achieve one season of spectacular success is Norway does not automatically equip a manager for what on paper looks an easier task. The Goldilocks candidate, enough of a spectacular record, but not too much that they have already got their move. The quick fix if Neil leaves is John Kennedy as interim or someone, like Ronny, who cannot believe he’s been offered the Celtic job. Or let Neil complete the season and attempt to add the Scottish Cup and leave his second term trophy report reading 6 out of 8. I am not recommending either option, it’s too complicated to sit on the outside and suggest a fix with any conviction – not matter how convinced this is an easy one, it’s not. If Neil remains until the end of the season it will not be because he needs the money, or because he deserves the respect of a Celtic hero (although he does), it is because the business of succession has to be settled. My preference would be to spend these months doing reconnaissance; better to do it right than to do it early, but the galleries have loved a blood letting since the Colosseum, we know how it works."

So basically Howe told them ‘No thanks, ya bunch of ........’.

And now they’re trying to window dress.

Very tricky for Celtic in the summer. I just cannot see them recruiting a real top name manager unless they somehow get money invested into the club.

Given all the facts the clever money would be on Clarke or Jack Ross. Both are competent managers, very similar to McInnes though in that they are 'safe' and will do a job without really excelling. Either of them would make Celtic stable, but the fans would not be happy with them. Stable is not good enough.

Any other manager from outside Scotland is a huge risk as no manager outside the very top clubs has ever had the experience of having to win every game, the pressure that brings is immense.

There’s not much in that article apart from an attempt to dampen expectations.

But, succession planning means planning for every possible scenario. Celtic have really been caught on the hop here and if I were a shareholder I’d be asking questions of the executive team.

Back