Make Davis the captain

Steve Davis a former captain of our club, played at top level for years and one of the most capped home nation international players of all time.

Or a right back signed by Warburton, won nothing in his career, can't defend and costs us goals in big games.

An absolute no brainer for Christ sake.
When Marvin Andrews is mentioning Christ, you know it’s time for a change.

You clearly have no clue about football mate. How could taking the armband be in anyway positive at this part of the season. Think before you type eh

Our captain has let us down time and time again. That can’t happen. He should be the driving force not the nervy weak link that puts the team under pressure. I’d do it now and who knows hopefully it might give Tav a kick up the arse. I was a huge Tav fan but the same excuses can’t be made time and time again. Maybe it’s time to make some ballsy decisions.

What difference will it make ?

Do you genuinely believe giving someone an armband changes anything ? McGregor and Davis don't need an armband to manage the team on the park.

yes at Rangers it does, it takes the pressure and focus away a bit. Remember amorouso getting stripped due to woeful performances given to fergie and both players never looked back.

I also think that Ryan Jack should be our captain. He's at the right age. He should take over the captaincy next season. I have a feeling that Tavernier will move on at the end of the season.

I would also like to add for the record that when Tav does leave he will go with my best wishes as he has been a great servant to the club (his current poor form aside) over the years.

Does it really matter,we should have players all over the park with the heart and character to drive and impose themselves on games.

Let's publicly humiliate someone who is clearly very low on confidence already, great idea.

It doesn't matter who has the armband, Davis/Jack/whoever should be captains already.
they should all be captains ,today there wasn't a single player who tried to push us forward a help others lift their game ,
we were abysmal as a team

Do you really think changing the captain changes anything on the pitch?

Either players are leaders or they're not. The armband makes no difference whatsoever.

Its more of a liason role between players and coaches / manager nowadays.

Sell Tav for £8-10m in the window, cash out while his stock is still high.
Invest £4-5m in quality replacement.
Ryan Jack captain.

The irony of this is that Davis was at fault for the goal today too. He lost his runner who turned out to be the boy that scored. I love Davis as a player but he will make mistakes too. This whole approach is embarrassing and sums up how utterly clueless supporters are.
I think its similar to a lot of goals we lose, a sole person gets the brunt. Yeh, sometimes it's an individual error but all our players will do it. There was some terrible decision making all round today.

Jack for me.

I actually thought he would have been when Gerrard arrived but Stevie stated off with Jack out of the team.

I’ve always defended Tav but when mistakes become a consistent trend we have a big problem.

Ryan Jack captain.
We downgrade at RB and in the process lose one of our key attacking weapons in January then?

Reactions: GF7
It's not going to happen, Gerrard wont want to upset his player so we will just keep going until we drop more and more points then when we are 10 pts behind we will start going on a good run because there is no pressure, tav will get a few assists and score a few penalties during this time and we will all be happy and hopeful for the next season, and so on and so on, we've all seen this before...

That’s the spirit!

Hope I never stand beside you in a battle

We downgrade at RB and in the process lose one of our key attacking weapons in January then?
I would agree with that 100%. Are there better RBs out there? - of course. Are there better RBs in our league? - no.

We seem to be in a unique situation in that having the best RB in the country is a detriment to us.

yes at Rangers it does, it takes the pressure and focus away a bit. Remember amorouso getting stripped due to woeful performances given to fergie and both players never looked back.

Amoruso was thrown under the bus by his then manager, as a deflection for the manager's failings. He made one shocker of an error v Monaco. That the big guy then went on to be a great player for us after Advocaat's departure, showed his true character. I don't think Tavernier has that extra bite in him.

It’s a total change of attitude throughout the team that’s required. Expecting just to turn up and the opposition will just roll over thinking has to stop.
It’s an old cliche but there should be 11 captains on the field.

Reactions: GF7
Tav for me isn’t captain material. However, leaving that aside for a moment, we also don’t have leaders on the pitch. So, whomever is captain won’t change that.

Amoruso was thrown under the bus by his then manager, as a deflection for the manager's failings. He made one shocker of an error v Monaco. That the big guy then went on to be a great player for us after Advocaat's departure, showed his true character. I don't think Tavernier has that extra bite in him.

possibly true and may do more damage than good. It wasn’t just that error against Monaco that killed our cl hopes he’d been doing some crazy stuff before that. Possibly because he felt as captain he had to push it further.

in his entire Rangers career I’ve never seen Tav like this. Something is wrong. He’s always been prone to a defensive lapse but he’s lost the ability to cross the ball and move past players.
Not having candieas has really hit his game hard, arfield and Ojo are slow and weak. This is worrying, he needs to find away to regroup.

Ryan Jack captain.

Did you actually type that, wanting £8/10m for Tav.

Do you think that clubs looking at Tav are not seeing the mistakes that are covering about half of page 1 on FF.

They see all these games, not just a compilation of the good bits on YouTube.

I like Tav, he’s great going forward, he’s in a bit of a slump at the moment, so a rest might be coming his way. However that will depend if the replacements are up to scratch.
As for changing captain mid season, well that’s not going to happen.

What happened when big Amo lost the armband to Ferguson?

I can’t really remember the ins and outs of it, but was that not due to his mistakes?
I can't remember what happened but if wee dick had been in the dugout he would have had tav off after 30mins, horrendous game tav had today and it keeps happening

Do you really think changing the captain changes anything on the pitch?

Either players are leaders or they're not. The armband makes no difference whatsoever.

Its more of a liason role between players and coaches / manager nowadays.

Maybe if he’s no longer the designated leader he won’t feel the need to commandeer and subsequently waste every free kick and corner.

Our captain has let us down time and time again. That can’t happen. He should be the driving force not the nervy weak link that puts the team under pressure. I’d do it now and who knows hopefully it might give Tav a kick up the arse. I was a huge Tav fan but the same excuses can’t be made time and time again. Maybe it’s time to make some ballsy decisions.
Time to make ballsy decisions?? We’re joint top of the league ffs

You clearly have no clue about football mate. How could taking the armband be in anyway positive at this part of the season. Think before you type eh

I’m sure we done it to Amo in Nov/Dec time when he sold a goal to Monaco which put us out of the CL.

I say stripping him will be the boot up the arse he needs the same as Amo needed.He managed to stay and have a successful career with us.

would give the arm band to McGreggor myself.

It's not going to happen, Gerrard wont want to upset his player so we will just keep going until we drop more and more points then when we are 10 pts behind we will start going on a good run because there is no pressure, tav will get a few assists and score a few penalties during this time and we will all be happy and hopeful for the next season, and so on and so on, we've all seen this before...
Feck me!
We needn't bother actually playing the games now.

If Tavernier is the only RB Gerrard trusts then I’m sorry it’s time the new boy Ross started looking around for a new RB, absolutely had it with this guy, sinking in everything he did today and the fact he couldn’t cross the road but took every single set piece showed how utterly clueless we were.

Time to make ballsy decisions?? We’re joint top of the league ffs

Aye and without individual errors we could be top of Europa and have points on them in the league... The points are just too crucial for us, especially going into this next block of fixtures. We can’t afford individual errors, simple as that.

Davis was criticised as 'captain' in his last spell! Tav needs dropped, but it doesn't really matter who wears the armband, the team should be full of captains

Davis was awful today as well.

And, at almost 35 years of age, what the hell was he doing playing in a meaningless friendly during the week?!

Who was captain when we got there?
Did I miss something?

He wasn’t quite this bad when we got there, though it’s fair to say he hasn’t been playing well and he’s not exactly been the driving force.

He was the captain when we tanked last season though. But probably best to ignore that and stick the fingers in the ears.

He wasn’t quite this bad when we got there, though it’s fair to say he hasn’t been playing well and he’s not exactly been the driving force.

He was the captain when we tanked last season though. But probably best to ignore that and stick the fingers in the ears.
Let's say you're right.
Is there any definite benefit in a change?

Let's say you're right.
Is there any definite benefit in a change?

There are no guarantees in life. But logic says it’ll probably take a bit of pressure off of a player currently struggling quite badly with it.

What about you, do you think inertia is the way forward and we should just keep the fingers crossed and hope it resolves itself?

If Tav’s form doesn’t improve immediately then I’d be hopeful that a decent bid came in during the January window. We can’t simply take the captain’s armband from him.
if he leaves we have Jon Flanagan who is a proper old fashioned defender and young Polster waiting to get a chance to shine. The scenario I don’t want to see is just to plod on with Tav in his current slump. That would cost us dearly.
Whatever you think about Tav, heading into the second part of the season with Flanagan at right back would be criminal.

There are no guarantees in life. But logic says it’ll probably take a bit of pressure off of a player currently struggling quite badly with it.

What about you, do you think inertia is the way forward and we should just keep the fingers crossed and hope it resolves itself?
For me, it's not broken.
I don't know how we managed to get as far as we've got with such poor players and poor leadership.

For me, it's not broken.
I don't know how we managed to get as far as we've got with such poor players and poor leadership.

You probably said the same thing last season when we were neck in neck in January and ended up letting them stroll to the title while we ultimately won the square root of fùck all.

Today is again indicative of an issue handling the pressure of being top, but obviously its
not broken and the previous evidence of this should be ignored. Me personally, as long as we continue to let this happen, and until we win silverware, it is broken.

Back