Make Davis the captain

Madness wanting Tav stripped of captaincy, not one single member of our playing staff or backroom staff would benefit from that

Tav has brilliant for us for the 2 years he's made some mistakes recently aye granted but this witchhunt against him is completely unjust

I've been trying my hardest to defend tav. But somethings got to give now. It's was an identical and costly mistake today, committing to a bouncing ball, the same as the young boys mistake.

His stats are good, but he has been pish this season. Shit scared on the ball, launching aimless crosses in from 40 yards, when he gets to the by line he either skelps the first man or launches it beyond the back post.

%^*& knows what's happened to him, but people thinking that protecting Tavs confidence is the most important thing are barking up the wrong tree. Points on the table is, and currently, our captain is detriment to that.

Sorry, but he needs dropped.

Lots of players have slumps in form. And as a consequence confidence slumps with it. This is without a doubt what’s wrong with Tav at present. Sometimes in football a simple armband can weigh heavily on a player, and by removing it, potentially can lift a weight of the players shoulders.
Me personally I’d give it to Jacko, and have Katic as vice captain. Both these guys are natural leaders IMO

That's how you get a dressing room split and destroy a player's confidence even more. Plus could you fucking imagine the spin that would be put on that for weeks by the press in this country.

Tav has been well below his usual standards and folk want Gerrard to go nuclear to appease a bunch of morons on social media. Folk using the whole it worked for Dick Advocaat when he stripped Amoruso line as a crutch are mental. We had Klos, Numan, Moore, Albertz and Porrini in the squad and the dressing room still fell apart after that incident. Pish example to use. It didn't work at all for Advocaat. Changing your captain 9 games into a league season should only be done in extreme circumstances or if the player decides he's not up to it.

After every defeat there is a rush to find a panacea. Tavernier is a very good player; his mistakes have cost us games but without the risk of those mistakes we would lose his attacking endeavour most probably. Let's, for one moment, look at what Tavernier has contributed to the club in the four years he's been here; he has been a great player.

Lots of players have slumps in form. And as a consequence confidence slumps with it. This is without a doubt what’s wrong with Tav at present. Sometimes in football a simple armband can weigh heavily on a player, and by removing it, potentially can lift a weight of the players shoulders.
Me personally I’d give it to Jacko, and have Katic as vice captain. Both these guys are natural leaders IMO
Is there not a vague contradiction in what you say, both in your own opinion and from Tavernier's point of view. You start off very reasonable, but then suggest Tavernier's confidence will be helped if he's stripped of the captaincy? I may not have been Candeias' biggest fan, but it doesn't take much to appreciate how big an asset he was to Tavernier; perhaps it's that.

Being honest Tav is a horrendous right back - always has been, Advocaat stripped amo and it worked id do the same. Artmaband to Davis would be my vote

Changing the captain at this stage wouldn't do much at all and if anything knocks hes confidence even further. But Tav certainly needs to be benched

Even hes body language hasnt looked right recently, not even half the player he was last season

I’m sure we done it to Amo in Nov/Dec time when he sold a goal to Monaco which put us out of the CL.

I say stripping him will be the boot up the arse he needs the same as Amo needed.He managed to stay and have a successful career with us.

would give the arm band to McGreggor myself.
That’ll be the year Celtic won the treble if I remember right?

Why? Why the %^*& would a manager do this?

The squad and the season isn't in the place that it needs this type of trauma shock.

What difference do those wanting him stripped of the captaincy actually think it’s going to do? If the replacements mentioned haven’t been being leaders without an extra strip of fabric around their arm, then they aren’t befitting the honour. The captaincy when on the park to me means little, in this day and age with communications from coaches so frequent he’s not There to be a marshaller of men. Last thing a player low on confidence needs is to be publicly shamed. Captaincy shouldn’t make him undroppable, but when he plays he should be the one leading the team out

No point

Our only hope is he can play his way back into form.
It's going to be hard mentally for him. Every single mistake he's made recently has been costly and resulting in a goal from every one. I'd get a sports psychologist in to work with him.

possibly true and may do more damage than good. It wasn’t just that error against Monaco that killed our cl hopes he’d been doing some crazy stuff before that. Possibly because he felt as captain he had to push it further.

in his entire Rangers career I’ve never seen Tav like this. Something is wrong. He’s always been prone to a defensive lapse but he’s lost the ability to cross the ball and move past players.
Not having candieas has really hit his game hard, arfield and Ojo are slow and weak. This is worrying, he needs to find away to regroup.

That's it for me. This is Tav prior to Candeias - great going forward and a permanent brainfart in defence.

Not a fan of changing the captain but if it was to happen then it. Has to be jack all day long for me. If Davis was made captain again we would just see the same shite every week that we don't get a result saying that he's never a captain because he doesn't shout enough

If Tav’s form doesn’t improve immediately then I’d be hopeful that a decent bid came in during the January window. We can’t simply take the captain’s armband from him.
if he leaves we have Jon Flanagan who is a proper old fashioned defender and young Polster waiting to get a chance to shine. The scenario I don’t want to see is just to plod on with Tav in his current slump. That would cost us dearly.
I would also like to see flanno at RB but i cant see tav being dropped. He has cost us with silly mistakes the mistake yesterday hes in the cb position, dont know why he was even in there.

Gerrard won't change the captaincy as i reckon that would ruin Tav completely.

I do think we have many others capable of doing that role better though: Davis, Jack, McGregor, Goldson for starters.

Jack or Davis seem the most natural captains for me but realistically Gerrard is never going to strip Tav of the captaincy due to under performing. And if he’s dropped due to his poor form the armband will go to vice captain Goldson.

Remember last time Davis was Rangers captain? Hounded on here for being too quiet, not strong enough, never a leader.

The armband won’t change Tav’s performances.

Davis was called a mouse last time about as captain. :D

Folk wanted him stripped as they didn’t see him as a vocal leader. :D

He ain’t stripping Tav of the armband.

Drop him, agreed, but stripping him - that’s mental. You’d ruin the guy.

Is there not a vague contradiction in what you say, both in your own opinion and from Tavernier's point of view. You start off very reasonable, but then suggest Tavernier's confidence will be helped if he's stripped of the captaincy? I may not have been Candeias' biggest fan, but it doesn't take much to appreciate how big an asset he was to Tavernier; perhaps it's that.
if the weight of being captain is lifted from him and he can play his own game then yes it will help his confidence recover

Every time someone makes a mistake or we drop points they’re vilified on here by people who probably haven’t kicked a ball in their sorry lives tavs or captain and he’s taking us to 55 get a life

Other than shattering tabs confidence what would stripping him of captaincy actually achieve ? Very few folk would react well to that happening and come back stronger . It’s a credit to big amo that he managed to do so

I wonder if people think this is a game of Football Manager or something. It's very easy to sit and type 'give the captaincy to Davis' - what about the reaction of the squad to it being taken off of Tav? It could literally derail our season.

Tav is probably the most frustrating player for me in a Rangers strip. He is very capable of playing to a high level, but also capable of being absolutely stinking (like yesterday). To me, he has the armband and you can't be taking it off him, particularly at this stage. However, does he really have more of a say in the dressing room over the likes of Davis & McGregor anyway? I would doubt it.

He's going through a bad patch of form right now, but he'll come good. I do think he lapses in concentration, though, which is my biggest worry about him as a player.

However, some of the reactions after we drop points &/or play poorly shows exactly why supporters generally don't manage football clubs.

I wonder if people think this is a game of Football Manager or something. It's very easy to sit and type 'give the captaincy to Davis' - what about the reaction of the squad to it being taken off of Tav? It could literally derail our season.

Tav is probably the most frustrating player for me in a Rangers strip. He is very capable of playing to a high level, but also capable of being absolutely stinking (like yesterday). To me, he has the armband and you can't be taking it off him, particularly at this stage. However, does he really have more of a say in the dressing room over the likes of Davis & McGregor anyway? I would doubt it.

He's going through a bad patch of form right now, but he'll come good. I do think he lapses in concentration, though, which is my biggest worry about him as a player.

However, some of the reactions after we drop points &/or play poorly shows exactly why supporters generally don't manage football clubs.
Spot on

Back