Make Hagi Captain

Stevethebluenose90

Tin hat firmly on but I don’t see the glamour in this signing. He had a few good games but also plenty of games where he was posted missing.

The talent is clearly there but I don’t even think the setup of our team suits him at all.

Happy to be proved wrong.

Necro

People thinking that taking the captaincy away from a regular starter and putting it on another would make any meaningful difference is pretty confusing tbh.

An armband doesn't magically change anything in the team

Fergie90

I don't know how close our players are. I'm sure that there'll all friends but they need to be the sort of friends that are real. Remember that time Ally chased Gazza up the pitch and was gonna punch him then was hugging him. Thats the kind of friends we need our players to be.
Spot on mate.

We need that player/man that when the others or bickering or messing about in training etc he stands up and the rest shut up.

They follow his lead and will run through brick walls WITH him.

I thought Gerrard would have been that man tbh as he was such a special player and fantastic captain but it doesnt seem to be happening that way.

Est1872

I‘m a massive Gerrard supporter and 100% behind the Gaffer but he’s yet to make that really important, ruthless, league defining decision.

I hope he has it in him.
I think it's coming this pre-season.

He could've easily extended Halliday, Flanagan & Foderingham's contracts without much criticism I think, but knew he had to bomb them out to bring in higher quality

I get that stripping someone of the captaincy is on another level

TibbsyBear

I think it's coming this pre-season.

He could've easily extended Halliday, Flanagan & Foderingham's contracts without much criticism I think, but knew he had to bomb them out to bring in higher quality

I get that stripping someone of the captaincy is on another level
If Tav is Captain at the start of the season it will feel like Groundhog Day all over again.

We need a change. Something that will rally the supporters. If he makes that change then we know he means business.

shug1971

Terry Butcher was appointed captain not long after joining us,I'm not saying Hagi should be appointed captain but Butcher hardly earned the captaincy.
Totally different scenario with respect. Butcher was captain of Ipswich I’m sure and an established international footballer when he signed.

Super-Swally

You dont just waltz into our club, score a couple of goals in Europe and become the Captain.

Well somehow we have a complete dud in Tav as our captain, but anyway, its a definite no from me... for now!

Mani

People thinking that taking the captaincy away from a regular starter and putting it on another would make any meaningful difference is pretty confusing tbh.

It does when it's the right captain. That's what made Cus D'Amato great. He understood that it's mental that there is a spiritual aspect to sport. It's what a leader does.

And besides I'm not saying this is the single only reductive thing that will make us better. I'm saying it's one thing that will.

TibbsyBear

Throughout the majority of my lifetime all title winning Rangers teams have had great Captains.

Tav unfortunately will never be in that category.

Necro

It does when it's the right captain. That's what made Cus D'Amato great. He understood that it's mental that there is a spiritual aspect to sport. It's what a leader does.

And besides I'm not saying this is the single only reductive thing that will make us better. I'm saying it's one thing that will.
Why is it though? Hagi can and does inspire the squad without with armband, it doesn't magically make him better at it if he gets it.

Tavernier also does that in his own way, he equally doesn't magically become worse at it without the armband.

It's a role that is massively overstated by our support, if Jack, Davis, Goldson, Hagi or whoever aren't already acting as captains without the armband then why should they have it?

Lemmy

The captains armband is a strange thing in that some players it makes them a better player while others let the weight affect their game.

Maybe time for a change. Could be Tav would benefit from not having the responsibility although there is a part of me wants him to lift 55 as Captain.

blueboab

Tav is a player but he is not a captain, I like the idea of Hagi as captain. Playing him in a solo number 10 role I think he’d be the dogs bollocks. Give him 2 wingers around him and Morelos in front of him I think he’d thrive. Boys a superstar in the making.

no surrender

Mani

Why is it though? Hagi can and does inspire the squad without with armband, it doesn't magically make him better at it if he gets it.

Tavernier also does that in his own way, he equally doesn't magically become worse at it without the armband.

It's a role that is massively overstated by our support, if Jack, Davis, Goldson, Hagi or whoever aren't already acting as captains without the armband then why should they have it?
The importance of a captain must always be fundamental to Rangers. It's our tradition and we need it cause that's what makes us strong.

Mani

The captains armband is a strange thing in that some players it makes them a better player while others let the weight affect their game.

Maybe time for a change. Could be Tav would benefit from not having the responsibility although there is a part of me wants him to lift 55 as Captain.
I think Tav is an excellent right back without being captain. He's not better because of it. We need a captain who is.

Necro

The importance of a captain must always be fundamental to Rangers. It's our tradition and we need it cause that's what makes us strong.
What makes us strong is having better players than the rest of Scotland, I agree that we've had iconic captains and we should always aim for that where possible but I think you're close to verging on desperate in thinking that taking it away from Tavernier and giving it to someone already in the squad would make any difference at all.

I understand that you can see how a young Barry Ferguson thrived under the responsibility and think that Hagi can do the same but the reality is that Hagi is already bringing those qualities to the table.

All you really achieve by doing this is hanging Tavernier out to dry

Mani

What makes us strong is having better players than the rest of Scotland, I agree that we've had iconic captains and we should always aim for that where possible but I think you're close to verging on desperate in thinking that taking it away from Tavernier and giving it to someone already in the squad would make any difference at all.

I understand that you can see how a young Barry Ferguson thrived under the responsibility and think that Hagi can do the same but the reality is that Hagi is already bringing those qualities to the table.

All you really achieve by doing this is hanging Tavernier out to dry
What makes us strong is what makes us Rangers. We have traditions that are deep and soulful we must link that chain. Doesn't mean we are imprisoned by past thinking,

I think our management team is one of the best young modern forward thinking in Europe and I love that. Same with our deal with Castore, I'm all in on the forward, radical thinking the club has now.

Danger Zone

Just the tip...
Yeah no chance. If he’d stepped up and shown some leadership in those away day horror shows I’d have maybe thought about it but that’s not how it happened and leading at u-21 and leading when Rangers are in the shit are entirely different things. It should be earned.

We certainly need a new captain though that’s for sure.

Necro

What makes us strong is what makes us Rangers. We have traditions that are deep and soulful we must link that chain. Doesn't mean we are imprisoned by past thinking,

I think our management team is one of the best young modern forward thinking in Europe and I love that. Same with our deal with Castore, I'm all in on forward, radical thinking the club had now.
I'm all in on radical forward thinking too, it's how we'll get back to where we belong.

I don't think getting overly caught up on the captaincy is that though, we either keep Tavernier or identify a new captain as a transfer target. There's no other solution that will offer any significant improvement

Est1872

I think Tav would flourish without the armband

As good as his stats have been, it's been weighing him down

WinkieWATP

Terry Butcher was appointed captain not long after joining us,I'm not saying Hagi should be appointed captain but Butcher hardly earned the captaincy.
Terry Butcher if not the best centrehalf in the world at the time was right up there. A leader of men.

Hagi has played an U21 tourney and couldn’t get a game for Gent.

The boys a player but come on to %^*&.

Mani

Yeah no chance. If he’d stepped up and shown some leadership in those away day horror shows I’d have maybe thought about it but that’s not how it happened and leading at u-21 and leading when Rangers are in the shit are entirely different things. It should be earned.

He's not superman mate, at least give him time. I defo think he has a cape though and we should help him find it.

MightyGersLand!

I'm in here first agreeing with you, he was a leader for Romania U21, and he was a leader on the European stage for us. He has huge baws, he grabs the game and his team mates by the scruff of the neck and gets the job done.
Great player - Hagi 10 will become a fans favourite.
I understand it, but his mannerisms and the way he talks is that of a young lad still maturing.
Vice Captain? Possibly.
McGregor as captain?

That could work.

ANDYBRFC

You dont just waltz into our club, score a couple of goals in Europe and become the Captain.

Well somehow we have a complete dud in Tav as our captain, but anyway, its a definite no from me... for now!
He isn't a complete dud as a player. Saying that is pretty harsh, he does tend to switch off at times but I would say he has been a good player for us.

Danger Zone

Just the tip...
He's not superman mate, at least give him time. I defo think he has a cape though and we should help him find it.
I never said he was mate. Just saying that, that sort of player isn’t someone you hand the captaincy too. You say he’s not superman, so why burden a young player like that with a lot extra responsibility and pressure?

I’d wait to see if we can get him turning up away from home before I’d look at making him the leader of the whole team.

Mani

I'm all in on radical forward thinking too, it's how we'll get back to where we belong.

I don't think getting overly caught up on the captaincy is that though, we either keep Tavernier or identify a new captain as a transfer target. There's no other solution that will offer any significant improvement
If you want to see the importance of a captain, watch Steven Gerrard second half of the European Cup final when they were 3-0 at half time. That's how important a captain is.

Steven Gerrard was driven by emotion. That 75% that Cus talked about. Very important. Its what Rangers are. A winning mentality.

roscof

You know what? I didn't consider this, but I did notice last season, this boy has balls.
He, imo, is not playing in his best position, but it didn't stop him from taking lots of responsibility.
As another poster said, he still has a bit to go, but like Barry, it could be the making of him. I was a manager myself, and always believed confidence was 75% of the job (provided you could play) . This might just work .

Mani

I never said he was mate. Just saying that, that sort of player isn’t someone you hand the captaincy too. You say he’s not superman, so why burden a young player like that with a lot extra responsibility and pressure?

I’d wait to see if we can get him turning up away from home before I’d look at making him the leader of the whole team.
Cause I think he'll be made better by being captain not weakened by it. It would drive him on to reach his full potential. Same age as Barry was.

Mani

Can I just say mate you come across as a bit of a pessimist and when I first talked to you on here I didn't know how to take you but I get it now. You're a disappointed optimist :)) :cool: