Make Hagi Captain

I’m far from convinced with Hagi the lad certainly has ability but we didn’t see enough of him to convince me . Captain? Let’s wait and see.

Completely agree, a lad with a lot of potential however posted missing in a few games too. Give him time to concentrate on improving his game first and foremost.

Truth be told, I don't see a captain in our squad at the moment.
Jus thunk back
We are saying we need a
Greig, Gough type leader.
We don't have this .

Defo has it in him to be a captain for us one day. You can see that. But as others have said he should not be given the added pressure in his 1st full season in one of our most important seasons in recent years. Plus if we were to change the captaincy I would give I to ryan jack if he is able to stay fit

Cus D'Amato said that boxing was 75% mental and emotional and 25% physical. He said if a boxer was 100% physically perfect but weak mentality a guy who was weaker physically but stronger mentality would beat him every time. He trained all his fighters to understand fear, that is to say in moments of intense pressure we must use fear as an energy to feed us and not allow ourselves to be controlled by it.

I think the philosophy of Cus is equally true of any sport and indeed of life. I think there are some people when confronted with that fear, that pressure, rise to the occasion and use it to lift them to their highest and greatest potential. These are the special ones that rise to the top because they are able to not only function effectively under high pressure but to feed off it and become better because of it.

Barry Ferguson as a kid had this. This is why Dick made him captain. I believe that Hagi has it it too. He refuses to wilt and makes no excuses to lose. He has an immense drive, a desire to win, he has this spark that becomes a roaringly blaze as Cus put it, to rise to the occasion and he can be an example to all around him. He is hungry and he has massive talent.

Watch that Braga match again, you telling me that wasn't a captains performance? I think so and I think he should be made captain. I think it would be a master stroke by SG to make him captain. Let's be honest for two years in a row it hasn't worked with Tav as captain and if rumours from January were true he was very close to leaving anyway. So let's start anew. A new captain.

I'll get stick I know but I've big broad shoulders and thick skin I can take it :cool:

Btw while I'm here. We should sell Glen Kamara and buy Paddy McNair and Lovro Majer.

I'll go back to my beer now :))

Cheers.
I find your argument compelling, but I am still reluctant to agree.
The Braga match is true, he was inspirational that night, it was a wonderful performance.
However, I never noticed the same in other matches against lesser opposition.
However, maybe you are seeing what I am missing.
As I say, you make a good case.

Agreed. The fact this thread has legs suggests there's not actually a stand out leader or that we have too many leaders making the choice difficult.
I don't think we have signed our captain yet.
He is out there somewhere and if we could identify him it could, as they say, be a game-changer.

A 21 year old who has 12 appearances and 3 goals whilst on loan, for effectively 3 months.

Not a guaranteed starter.

I don't think that is obvious Rangers' captain material.

That's ignoring that he isn't actually a Rangers player yet.

There is one thing that is glaring. We lack a strong Captain. I don't buy leaders all over the pitch. We need a strong individual who will stand tall, believe in Rangers, give everything for the Jersey and call out refereeing bias on the pitch. We absolutely lack that in Tav. If SG doesn't change this he is making a massive mistake. I have always thought Jack was the closest in this regard but I don't think, at this time, we really have that player. He must be signed. A proven winner, mentally is essential.

Genuinely believe he is the only one in our team that has the qualities to be captain.

He has that nasty side to him and desire to fight for every ball and backs up his team mates. Grafts and covers tav constantly in our system.

Honestly dont think there is another player in our team with those qualities.
And he knows what it means to play for the club , we saw that after last seasons cup final.

He's not an obvious candidate for captain and, for me, I reckon he's a luxury player at best.

Throughout the squad there's not many who you would say are captain material...but is that because we are comparing them to a Ferguson, Gough or Butcher.? Or is it that there's no real case outwith Tavernier of who it could be?

The thread is bold that's for sure and to add, IMO, the suggestion of Ryan Jack being named as captain gives me the fear.

Butcher Vs Hagi there us simply no comparison in regards captaincy
I didn't say Hagi should be captain!!.
I know there's no comparison but someone said the Rangers captaincy should be earned and not handed to them which Graeme Souness did when he signed Terry Butcher.

Is McNair at Boro?

Whats his contract situation?
He is at Boro .
His contract looks like it may be based on incentives saying it can go to £5 million.
I don’t know.
Also looks like as a midfielder he scores 1 in 10 games.
Given he has had injuries I still think he would be a good signing

IMHO being captain of Rangers should be a HUGE honour, at this stage of his career Hagi has not done enough to deserve that honour.

I know there's no comparison but someone said the Rangers captaincy should be earned and not handed to them which Graeme Souness did when he signed Terry Butcher.
Different times , different circumstances , Souness signed the England captain with the sole intent of making him captain and building his team around him.
But your point is valid , in that particular instance it was not earned.

I don't think you have to earn it at the club.

Surely if someone has demonstrated the qualities of a good captain elsewhere then that may be part of the reason to get them and give them the armband straight away.

I don't think you have to earn it at the club.

Surely if someone has demonstrated the qualities of a good captain elsewhere then that may be part of the reason to get them and give them the armband straight away.
And Butcher was the perfect example of that point.

I find your argument compelling, but I am still reluctant to agree.
The Braga match is true, he was inspirational that night, it was a wonderful performance.
However, I never noticed the same in other matches against lesser opposition.
However, maybe you are seeing what I am missing.
As I say, you make a good case.
I think it would make him better. He's very strong mentality. Making him captain wouldn't be something new to him he's been captain most of his life probably.

I don't see him playing 90 mins every week.
I would prefer my captain to be in the mould of a Butcher/ Gough.
We don't have a Butcher or Gough, we need to look forward not back. He was captain of his club when he was 17. It's not such a radical idea to him. He's a leader.

He hasn’t even signed yet and has only played a handful of games and he’s our saviour? Mental. Heed the lesson with Kent who looked great on loan, less so since he signed.

those posters praising him just now will be the same ones on his back if he has a few bad games. We’ve seen that over and over with other players.

I'm not a fan of playing signing for clubs and immediately being given the captaincy. Of course there will be some outliers out there but it just doesn't suit well with me.

We don't have a Butcher or Gough, we need to look forward not back. He was captain of his club when he was 17. It's not such a radical idea to him. He's a leader.
Too right we don't have a Butcher/ Gough type player.
Going back to the original point I don't think he's done enough to justify being our captain, but then again who has lately?

It's too early and he's too young IMO to be captain for next season.

What is clear though is that Gerrard has to replace the current captain as Tav will never lead us effectively. I'm amazed Gerrard hasn't done this yet tbh.

I can see where you are coming from.

Look at QPR and Adel Taarabt. There were real leaders in the team like Clint Hill, etc but Harry gave the armband to Adel Taarabt to make him feel important and that the team relied upon him and it worked wonders. He was absolutely unreal that season.

One things for sure a dont think it should be Tav.

He hasn’t even signed yet and has only played a handful of games and he’s our saviour? Mental. Heed the lesson with Kent who looked great on loan, less so since he signed.

those posters praising him just now will be the same ones on his back if he has a few bad games. We’ve seen that over and over with other players.

I was thinking the very same about Kent, I'm trying to remember if there were calls to give him the captaincy as well.

Different times , different circumstances , Souness signed the England captain with the sole intent of making him captain and building his team around him.
But your point is valid , in that particular instance it was not earned.
Totally agree and I understand why Souness signed Terry Butcher and him captain as he was a colossal signing for us.A player should in general earn a captaincy at a club like Rangers but in his case he was right to be an exception.

I was thinking the very same about Kent, I'm trying to remember if there were calls to give him the captaincy as well.
Kent has never been a captain has grew up as captain. Hagi didn't say he likes Europe cause it's less pressure. Hagi wants the pressure. Big difference in mentality.

Totally agree and I understand why Souness signed Terry Butcher and him captain as he was a colossal signing for us.A player should in general earn a captaincy at a club like Rangers but in his case he was right to be an exception.
Exactly how I would summarise.
Posts on here saying they hope our captain is still to be signed , for me if this was the case it would need to be a signing of this magnitude to justify it.

Kent has never been a captain has grew up as captain. Hagi didn't say he likes Europe cause it's less pressure. Hagi wants the pressure. Big difference in mentality.

I never for a second suggested Ryan Kent should be captain. I was merely wondering if people on Follow Follow had called for it.

No.
To be honest I saw too many mediocre performances during the loan that show a talented kid finding his feet. This kid has the potential in spades.
If he leads on the park that’s good enough for me without the armband.

I think Jack leads by example and is highly thought of by his teammates

Back