Make Hagi Captain

I agree with the general principle you make and its something weve lacked for some time, but I dont think Hagi is in that mould. Hes a leader but not a captain, as an illustration could you imagine Laudrup being captain, some players might be leaders but they need the freedom to play. This sums up Hagi for me, totally different style of leadership to BF.

I agree about Alfie mate. Yes he wants the pressure, after the shit show the club went through when he came he still coming isn't he. He wants it.
I agree he wants to play for us but i diubt he wants the pressure just now. Let him get a full season under his belt and see where we are im sure there are plenty in squad want the position but we have a captain and agree or not until the gaffer says so that doesnt change

He hasnt had much luck with injuries to be fair so its definitely a point of consideration picking a captain. Maybe that's the reason tav got it as he barely misses a minute nevermind a game.

The thing that sticks in my mind with Tav as captain is when we concede a pathetic goal or any goal he is just behind the play as the ball goes in and he throws his arms in the air and looks dejected. I never seen B.Ferguson doing that once, he would annihilate anyone who deserved it and its sadly lacking these days imo
We need someone who will drive our players to their highest potential. In good times and bad. That's what a captain does.

I'm a big big fan of Jack mate but it doesn't look like his knees can take such an intense schedule and that will only worsen as he gets older.

Think this lad is a bit special and could bring us success and a profit in a few years, but captain? Not for me.

With Halliday and Foderingham away it leaves Tav as the only surviving player of the Championship era and it would be amazing to see him personally lift the trophy as Captain as a sign of where we have come from. But head has to rule the heart and I don't think he's got what it takes to Captain us to winning a major trophy.

For me there are no leaders in the team. If there were they wouldn’t need the armband and would be doing a captain’s job regardless but none of them have done. McGregor is more shouty than the rest, that’s about it, but based on his post-Christmas performances I doubt he’s got much left in the tank.
The only reason I would advocate changing captain is to relieve some of the pressure that is proving far too much for Tavernier, not because I think anyone else deserves it.

I hope it wont be Tav again but if he is at the club, it will be. Tav would be much better just concentrating on his own game.

Hagi shouldn't be either.

I would give it to Alan McGregor.

I seen said before, even about Ryan Jack; Arfield is very underrated for what he brings to Rangers.
Airfield I'm also a fan of but his body can't seem to take our intense schedule either, nor can Davis. I love all these guys. We can use them all but must be used to maximum effect and not over used.

Airfield I'm also a fan of but his body can't seem to take our intense schedule either, nor can Davis. I love all these guys. We can use them all but must be used to maximum effect and not over used.
I think Gerrard made a mistake in not making Arfield captain originally. He would not have allowed the team to have those two crucial post January periods of complacency.

Not sure about Hagi as Captain yet anyway but I'll be gutted if Tav still has it next season. We need a proper leader on and off the pitch the time for experiment's is over.

I think Gerrard made a mistake in not making Arfield captain originally. He would not have allowed the team to have those two crucial post January periods of complacency.
He's who I would've picked. Either him or Steve Davis. SD has been captain of Norn Iron for years and is a great captain for us. Airfield is now captain for Canada too. We have leaders and they all need to step up.

We need someone who will drive our players to their highest potential. In good times and bad. That's what a captain does.

I'm a big big fan of Jack mate but it doesn't look like his knees can take such an intense schedule and that will only worsen as he gets older.
Now we have had a break from the constant games and everything that brings it's scary to sit and go through how many of our squad are actually leaders in general nevermind captain material. I'd say Jack and Shagger are the only two that actually have the balls to have a go at people including opposition or refs etc.

Edit - unfair on scotty Arfield but sadly I dont think he is good enough to be a first pick so that would rule him out in my opinion

Definitely wouldnt be against giving it to hagi and playing a system to suit him and let him be the main man although it's a big big risk incase he doesnt hit the heights or we play him out right most of the game like we did before the season was wrongfully ended

I don’t support tav having the armband taken off him. However I’ve said since he joined jacko should be our captain, then again being a captain is more than having an armband. The status of being the Rangers captain is what jacko obviously wants, but I doubt he’s being less of a leader without it. To conclude, tav will be captain next season and rightfully so in my opinion of course.

Not taking the captaincy off him could prove to be a massive mistake at best and negligent at worst.

I'm as happy as the next guy that we are signing him but c'mon he is not the captain (yet).

He is 21 years old and has only played for us for about 3 months.

Jack is the next captain.

Now we have had a break from the constant games and everything that brings it's scary to sit and go through how many of our squad are actually leaders in general nevermind captain material. I'd say Jack and Shagger are the only two that actually have the balls to have a go at people including opposition or refs etc.

Definitely wouldnt be against giving it to hagi and playing a system to suit him and let him be the main man although it's a big big risk incase he doesnt hit the heights or we play him out right most of the game like we did before the season was wrongfully ended
I don't know how close our players are. I'm sure that there'll all friends but they need to be the sort of friends that are real. Remember that time Ally chased Gazza up the pitch and was gonna punch him then was hugging him. Thats the kind of friends we need our players to be.

On a serious note, can we please keep Matt Polster? His missus is really too much to lose. :cool:

Tin hat firmly on but I don’t see the glamour in this signing. He had a few good games but also plenty of games where he was posted missing.

The talent is clearly there but I don’t even think the setup of our team suits him at all.

Happy to be proved wrong.

People thinking that taking the captaincy away from a regular starter and putting it on another would make any meaningful difference is pretty confusing tbh.

An armband doesn't magically change anything in the team

I don't know how close our players are. I'm sure that there'll all friends but they need to be the sort of friends that are real. Remember that time Ally chased Gazza up the pitch and was gonna punch him then was hugging him. Thats the kind of friends we need our players to be.
Spot on mate.

We need that player/man that when the others or bickering or messing about in training etc he stands up and the rest shut up.

They follow his lead and will run through brick walls WITH him.

I thought Gerrard would have been that man tbh as he was such a special player and fantastic captain but it doesnt seem to be happening that way.

I‘m a massive Gerrard supporter and 100% behind the Gaffer but he’s yet to make that really important, ruthless, league defining decision.

I hope he has it in him.

I think it's coming this pre-season.

He could've easily extended Halliday, Flanagan & Foderingham's contracts without much criticism I think, but knew he had to bomb them out to bring in higher quality

I get that stripping someone of the captaincy is on another level

I think it's coming this pre-season.

He could've easily extended Halliday, Flanagan & Foderingham's contracts without much criticism I think, but knew he had to bomb them out to bring in higher quality

I get that stripping someone of the captaincy is on another level

If Tav is Captain at the start of the season it will feel like Groundhog Day all over again.

We need a change. Something that will rally the supporters. If he makes that change then we know he means business.

Terry Butcher was appointed captain not long after joining us,I'm not saying Hagi should be appointed captain but Butcher hardly earned the captaincy.
Totally different scenario with respect. Butcher was captain of Ipswich I’m sure and an established international footballer when he signed.

You dont just waltz into our club, score a couple of goals in Europe and become the Captain.

Well somehow we have a complete dud in Tav as our captain, but anyway, its a definite no from me... for now!

People thinking that taking the captaincy away from a regular starter and putting it on another would make any meaningful difference is pretty confusing tbh.

It does when it's the right captain. That's what made Cus D'Amato great. He understood that it's mental that there is a spiritual aspect to sport. It's what a leader does.

And besides I'm not saying this is the single only reductive thing that will make us better. I'm saying it's one thing that will.

Throughout the majority of my lifetime all title winning Rangers teams have had great Captains.

Tav unfortunately will never be in that category.

It does when it's the right captain. That's what made Cus D'Amato great. He understood that it's mental that there is a spiritual aspect to sport. It's what a leader does.

And besides I'm not saying this is the single only reductive thing that will make us better. I'm saying it's one thing that will.
Why is it though? Hagi can and does inspire the squad without with armband, it doesn't magically make him better at it if he gets it.

Tavernier also does that in his own way, he equally doesn't magically become worse at it without the armband.

It's a role that is massively overstated by our support, if Jack, Davis, Goldson, Hagi or whoever aren't already acting as captains without the armband then why should they have it?

The captains armband is a strange thing in that some players it makes them a better player while others let the weight affect their game.

Maybe time for a change. Could be Tav would benefit from not having the responsibility although there is a part of me wants him to lift 55 as Captain.

Tav is a player but he is not a captain, I like the idea of Hagi as captain. Playing him in a solo number 10 role I think he’d be the dogs bollocks. Give him 2 wingers around him and Morelos in front of him I think he’d thrive. Boys a superstar in the making.

no surrender

Why is it though? Hagi can and does inspire the squad without with armband, it doesn't magically make him better at it if he gets it.

Tavernier also does that in his own way, he equally doesn't magically become worse at it without the armband.

It's a role that is massively overstated by our support, if Jack, Davis, Goldson, Hagi or whoever aren't already acting as captains without the armband then why should they have it?
The importance of a captain must always be fundamental to Rangers. It's our tradition and we need it cause that's what makes us strong.

The captains armband is a strange thing in that some players it makes them a better player while others let the weight affect their game.

Maybe time for a change. Could be Tav would benefit from not having the responsibility although there is a part of me wants him to lift 55 as Captain.
I think Tav is an excellent right back without being captain. He's not better because of it. We need a captain who is.

Back