Make Hagi Captain

The importance of a captain must always be fundamental to Rangers. It's our tradition and we need it cause that's what makes us strong.
What makes us strong is having better players than the rest of Scotland, I agree that we've had iconic captains and we should always aim for that where possible but I think you're close to verging on desperate in thinking that taking it away from Tavernier and giving it to someone already in the squad would make any difference at all.

I understand that you can see how a young Barry Ferguson thrived under the responsibility and think that Hagi can do the same but the reality is that Hagi is already bringing those qualities to the table.

All you really achieve by doing this is hanging Tavernier out to dry

What makes us strong is having better players than the rest of Scotland, I agree that we've had iconic captains and we should always aim for that where possible but I think you're close to verging on desperate in thinking that taking it away from Tavernier and giving it to someone already in the squad would make any difference at all.

I understand that you can see how a young Barry Ferguson thrived under the responsibility and think that Hagi can do the same but the reality is that Hagi is already bringing those qualities to the table.

All you really achieve by doing this is hanging Tavernier out to dry
What makes us strong is what makes us Rangers. We have traditions that are deep and soulful we must link that chain. Doesn't mean we are imprisoned by past thinking,

I think our management team is one of the best young modern forward thinking in Europe and I love that. Same with our deal with Castore, I'm all in on the forward, radical thinking the club has now.

Yeah no chance. If he’d stepped up and shown some leadership in those away day horror shows I’d have maybe thought about it but that’s not how it happened and leading at u-21 and leading when Rangers are in the shit are entirely different things. It should be earned.

We certainly need a new captain though that’s for sure.

What makes us strong is what makes us Rangers. We have traditions that are deep and soulful we must link that chain. Doesn't mean we are imprisoned by past thinking,

I think our management team is one of the best young modern forward thinking in Europe and I love that. Same with our deal with Castore, I'm all in on forward, radical thinking the club had now.
I'm all in on radical forward thinking too, it's how we'll get back to where we belong.

I don't think getting overly caught up on the captaincy is that though, we either keep Tavernier or identify a new captain as a transfer target. There's no other solution that will offer any significant improvement

I think Tav would flourish without the armband

As good as his stats have been, it's been weighing him down

Terry Butcher was appointed captain not long after joining us,I'm not saying Hagi should be appointed captain but Butcher hardly earned the captaincy.

Terry Butcher if not the best centrehalf in the world at the time was right up there. A leader of men.

Hagi has played an U21 tourney and couldn’t get a game for Gent.

The boys a player but come on to %^*&.

Yeah no chance. If he’d stepped up and shown some leadership in those away day horror shows I’d have maybe thought about it but that’s not how it happened and leading at u-21 and leading when Rangers are in the shit are entirely different things. It should be earned.

He's not superman mate, at least give him time. I defo think he has a cape though and we should help him find it.

I'm in here first agreeing with you, he was a leader for Romania U21, and he was a leader on the European stage for us. He has huge baws, he grabs the game and his team mates by the scruff of the neck and gets the job done.
Great player - Hagi 10 will become a fans favourite.
I understand it, but his mannerisms and the way he talks is that of a young lad still maturing.
Vice Captain? Possibly.
McGregor as captain?

That could work.

You dont just waltz into our club, score a couple of goals in Europe and become the Captain.

Well somehow we have a complete dud in Tav as our captain, but anyway, its a definite no from me... for now!

He isn't a complete dud as a player. Saying that is pretty harsh, he does tend to switch off at times but I would say he has been a good player for us.

He's not superman mate, at least give him time. I defo think he has a cape though and we should help him find it.

I never said he was mate. Just saying that, that sort of player isn’t someone you hand the captaincy too. You say he’s not superman, so why burden a young player like that with a lot extra responsibility and pressure?

I’d wait to see if we can get him turning up away from home before I’d look at making him the leader of the whole team.

I'm all in on radical forward thinking too, it's how we'll get back to where we belong.

I don't think getting overly caught up on the captaincy is that though, we either keep Tavernier or identify a new captain as a transfer target. There's no other solution that will offer any significant improvement
If you want to see the importance of a captain, watch Steven Gerrard second half of the European Cup final when they were 3-0 at half time. That's how important a captain is.

Steven Gerrard was driven by emotion. That 75% that Cus talked about. Very important. Its what Rangers are. A winning mentality.

You know what? I didn't consider this, but I did notice last season, this boy has balls.
He, imo, is not playing in his best position, but it didn't stop him from taking lots of responsibility.
As another poster said, he still has a bit to go, but like Barry, it could be the making of him. I was a manager myself, and always believed confidence was 75% of the job (provided you could play) . This might just work .

I never said he was mate. Just saying that, that sort of player isn’t someone you hand the captaincy too. You say he’s not superman, so why burden a young player like that with a lot extra responsibility and pressure?

I’d wait to see if we can get him turning up away from home before I’d look at making him the leader of the whole team.
Cause I think he'll be made better by being captain not weakened by it. It would drive him on to reach his full potential. Same age as Barry was.

Can I just say mate you come across as a bit of a pessimist and when I first talked to you on here I didn't know how to take you but I get it now. You're a disappointed optimist :)) :cool:

I cant believe some of the shit ideas some folk come away with on here.
Hagi wasnt even guaranteed 90mins before we finished. Also although he is a great player he is still trying to bed in with us.

Cause I think he'll be made better by being captain not weakened by it. It would drive him on to reach his full potential. Same age as Barry was.

He’s nothing like Barry in terms of leadership of style though. Even in our worst performances you’d never stop noticing Ferguson, we had games in the SPL would you could have forgotten Hagi was on the pitch. Anyway Ferguson is a bit of a rarity, it’s not often players that age stand out as leaders.

With an alleged £4m fee there’ll be enough pressure on Hagi already going into next season, for me it would be a mental gamble to hand him the arm band. If he blossoms into a leader then fair enough. But I haven’t seen anything to suggest giving him that added pressure would benefit him or us.

Can I just say mate you come across as a bit of a pessimist and when I first talked to you on here I didn't know how to take you but I get it now. You're a disappointed optimist :)) :cool:

Haha. I find it hard not to be a pessimist. Should have seen me in the first half of the season, I was as hopeful as anyone. I think it’s things like that which have made me miserable post January. I don’t know if I can handle being let down like that again so maybe if I always prepare for the worst and keep my optimism in check I’ll avoid it.

He’s nothing like Barry in terms of leadership of style though. Even in our worst performances you’d never stop noticing Ferguson, we had games in the SPL would you could have forgotten Hagi was on the pitch. Anyway Ferguson is a bit of a rarity, it’s not often players that age stand out as leaders.

With an alleged £4m fee there’ll be enough pressure on Hagi already going into next season, for me it would be a mental gamble to hand him the arm band. If he blossoms into a leader then fair enough. But I haven’t seen anything to suggest giving him that added pressure would benefit him or us.
He's only through the door mate. I'm just going on purely gut emotion from what I seen of him. Give him a full pre season, play him through the middle and give him the armband and say go enjoy it. Too many of our players are burdened by our recent past. He isnt.

This is like the close season or the winter break on steroids .......some absolute shite being spouted.

Haha. I find it hard not to be a pessimist. Should have seen me in the first half of the season, I was as hopeful as anyone. I think it’s things like that which have made me miserable post January. I don’t know if I can handle being let down like that again so maybe if I always prepare for the worst and keep my optimism in check I’ll avoid it.
Just enjoy it for the football mate. We deserve that as fans. Ignore the madness. We as a club need to let go of the recent past and embrace the future. We're heading in the right direction.

No - no disrespect to Hagi, but their is a big difference between being captain of Romania U21 and Rangers FC.

A player doesn’t need an armband to be a leader - every successful Rangers team has several players with strong leadership qualities. It’s one of the things that needs to play a bigger role in our transfer policy - not just the technical ability a player posses but their mentality and attitude also.

Really? I think if we had a proper Captain the collapse these last two seasons isn’t allowed to happen.
Disagree. I doubt if, say, McGregor was captain we wouldn’t have collapsed. At the end of the day it’s still the same squad a band on your arm doesn’t mean other players can’t still act as leaders

No - no disrespect to Hagi, but their is a big difference between being captain of Romania U21 and Rangers FC.

A player doesn’t need an armband to be a leader - every successful Rangers team has several players with strong leadership qualities. It’s one of the things that needs to play a bigger role in our transfer policy - not just the technical ability a player posses but their mentality and attitude also.
I agree with every single thing you said except that you don't think Hagi is it. I think he's everything that you say a Rangers captain is. That's why I think he should be captain. It's not technical ability it's heart. He has it in spades.

Disagree. I doubt if, say, McGregor was captain we wouldn’t have collapsed. At the end of the day it’s still the same squad a band on your arm doesn’t mean other players can’t still act as leaders

The point I’m trying to make is I don’t think we currently have a captain. Would we collapse like that with a Gough or a Ferguson there?

I don’t believe we would. I’m not a Tav basher but he certainly doesn’t lead a team like those two.

I agree with every single thing you said except that you don't think Hagi is it. I think he's everything that you say a Rangers captain is. That's why I think he should be captain. It's not technical ability it's heart. He has it in spades.

I really hope you’re correct, mate - if he takes after his father he’ll certainly be a strong leader.

Whilst I think he has huge potential ( and that Braga second half was incredible) I can’t say I’ve seen enough from him yet to indicate he has these qualities.

Just enjoy it for the football mate. We deserve that as fans. Ignore the madness. We as a club need to let go of the recent past and embrace the future. We're heading in the right direction.

With all due respect mate I can’t enjoy Scottish football in its present state. The scum are winning everything, they’ve got the SFA on strings, the media on strings. We keep embarrassing ourselves with these collapses, I just can’t enjoy that. I’ll always be proud to be a Rangers fan, but I’ll never enjoy seeing us lose in this fashion and to that club.

As for your other post. The fact he’s only through the door is more a reason to not hand him the captaincy than to hand it to him. We need to use logic, be pragmatic - not take needless gambles with young talent. But that’s just me!

With all due respect mate I can’t enjoy Scottish football in its present state. The scum are winning everything, they’ve got the SFA on strings, the media on strings. We keep embarrassing ourselves with these collapses, I just can’t enjoy that. I’ll always be proud to be a Rangers fan, but I’ll never enjoy seeing us lose in this fashion and to that club.

As for your other post. The fact he’s only through the door is more a reason to not hand him the captaincy than to hand it to him. We need to use logic, be pragmatic - not take needless gambles with young talent. But that’s just me!
But maybe this gloom is holding us back, and I get it I had given up on Scottish football after watching Clancy get away with what he did. What followed did not surprise me. We need to go to war with the banana republic of Scottish football. I'm all in on that.

We need to reassert our strength again. We are getting stronger, Scottish football is getting weaker. That's how I see it.

The point I’m trying to make is I don’t think we currently have a captain. Would we collapse like that with a Gough or a Ferguson there?

I don’t believe we would. I’m not a Tav basher but he certainly doesn’t lead a team like those two.
It’s a fair point mate and I agree that we need more leaders but a Ferguson or a Gough would lead regardless of being the captain or not.

You can’t post this without pictures!
The club missed a truck not hiring her star quality :))

A TV representer/PR representative of the club, have her going to matches, going to the Loudon for a pint, interviewing fans, YouTube, instagram, twitter sites. She'd of been great for the club she's a star.

Would be worth it alone just to see all the pervs perving over her :))

It’s a fair point mate and I agree that we need more leaders but a Ferguson or a Gough would lead regardless of being the captain or not.
But he was a leader when he wasn't captain. That's what I mean that's what makes a captain. I agree :))

Just think he has that quality to him bud.

The club missed a truck not hiring her star quality :))

A TV representer/PR representative of the club, have her going to matches, going to the Loudon for a pint, interviewing fans, YouTube, instagram, twitter sites. She'd of been great for the club she's a star.

Would be worth it alone just to see all the pervs perving over her :))
Mani I read your post, still no pictures mate, cmon tae f.uck! :))

Hagi as captain is not the answer, no one springs to mind who we could bring in and make captain but he should be experienced, no how to lead the dressing room and take no sh!t.

Any suggestions?

The lord has spoken. What is your next decree oh master. Please enlighten us :rolleyes:

Aye Hagi looks like captain material....of course he does. it's not even certain he'll be a great signing if he gets here never mind captain....stay off the beer.....

Back