Make Hagi Captain

I think he is mentally weak mate and if that’s our leader what does it say about the rest of the squad.

I think the mantle has weighed him down and caused his performances to dip significantly. Let him concentrate on doing his job without the added responsibility and I think it would be for the benefit of him and the team.

Still waiting for the quotes on being no.10 and SG building the team around him.....

Player is good therefore captain.

No.
I didn't say that. It's not about his technical ability it's about his heart. The spiritual aspect of sport that Cus D'Amato knew sport was really about. Mental strenght. That 75%. Hagi has that strong and also can really play football.

With all due respect mate I can’t enjoy Scottish football in its present state. The scum are winning everything, they’ve got the SFA on strings, the media on strings. We keep embarrassing ourselves with these collapses, I just can’t enjoy that. I’ll always be proud to be a Rangers fan, but I’ll never enjoy seeing us lose in this fashion and to that club.

As for your other post. The fact he’s only through the door is more a reason to not hand him the captaincy than to hand it to him. We need to use logic, be pragmatic - not take needless gambles with young talent. But that’s just me!
The kid is a special talent from first class stock, he could be a Rangers legend or he might crumble under the pressure either way he’s got to be better than Tav who bottles it when needed. Look how a big character like Amoruso took it on the chin and still contributed to the team when wee Baz got the captaincy.

He leads by example, he might be error prone from time to time but he never hides, he never turns down the chance to take responsibility of any situation and always looks to make things happen.

He gets the ball and he tries to be productive with it without fail, the players default to giving it to him when we are devoid of any other idea.

He is a leader, he just isn't the typical Scottish shouty type so people reject him.
Lovely guy but not a leader

I don't know if Hagi is Rangers captain material, yet. However, I know for a fact Tavernier isn't. That's not an attack on him, he conducts himself perfectly off the pitch and the responsibility that holds. He's done that side impeccably. Not all past captains can say that. However, I'll take an arsehole (not my experience) like Barry Ferguson over a James Tavernier 8 days a week.
I'd like to keep Tav, but he's not captain material and we have been kidding ourselves, trying to convince ourselves, since he was given it. He's not staying if it's taken from him, and to me he is just damaged goods now.
A bold move like giving it to Hagi? Well, why not? I've never been a fan of GKs being captain so forget McGregor, and there is only Jack who is close in the traditional sense. While Hagi might not fully fit that traditional mould, I agree with the OP that he has that special something, and I do not see him being crushed by the pressure, but rather thriving on it.

Nothing to do with him playing in games we dropped points in then? Nothing to do with the fact the manager left him out the team several times?

And nothing to do with the fact he hasn't actually signed yet? :))

Aye it's all in my head.
"Aye it's all in my head".

That's sounds like an indie 80s stoner classic mate. Were you in Belle and Sebastian :))

I don't know if Hagi is Rangers captain material, yet. However, I know for a fact Tavernier isn't. That's not an attack on him, he conducts himself perfectly off the pitch and the responsibility that holds. He's done that side impeccably. Not all past captains can say that. However, I'll take an arsehole (not my experience) like Barry Ferguson over a James Tavernier 8 days a week.
I'd like to keep Tav, but he's not captain material and we have been kidding ourselves, trying to convince ourselves, since he was given it. He's not staying if it's taken from him, and to me he is just damaged goods now.
A bold move like giving it to Hagi? Well, why not? I've never been a fan of GKs being captain so forget McGregor, and there is only Jack who is close in the traditional sense. While Hagi might not fully fit that traditional mould, I agree with the OP that he has that special something, and I do not see him being crushed by the pressure, but rather thriving on it.
All the way bud. He has that quality that stands up and wins. He's special.

I agree that we need a change - Tavernier is a good player but he is not the guy we need as captain. I like Hagi's spirit and I think he probably could make a good captain one day but we need something else.

I am not sure at this moment in time we have a proper captain in our squad. My choice would probably be McGregor at the moment but I am not big fan of the goalie being the captain. Maybe even Arfield. Davis would be another option but I am not sure how much he is going to feature.

I agree that we need a change - Tavernier is a good player but he is not the guy we need as captain. I like Hagi's spirit and I think he probably could make a good captain one day but we need something else.

I am not sure at this moment in time we have a proper captain in our squad. My choice would probably be McGregor at the moment but I am not big fan of the goalie being the captain. Maybe even Arfield. Davis would be another option but I am not sure how much he is going to feature.
Arfield, Davis and Jack don't have the legs for a full season of our intense schedule.

McGregor won't become greater by having the band he is already great.

Hagi is young and hungry and has a spark of magic and can hit balls around Ibrox that I haven't seen hit in a long time.

Makes perfect sense to me.

Arfield, Davis and Jack don't have the legs for a full season of our intense schedule.

McGregor won't become greater by having the band he is already great.

Hagi is young and hungry and has a spark of magic and can hit balls around Ibrox that I haven't seen hit in a long time.

Makes perfect sense to me.
You could have a point but I just can't see Gerrard making him captain - that is if the deal is 100% complete. Someone like Jack might not feature throughout the season and we perhaps need more than one guy that is considered captain. We might have some guys that aren't going to feature in every game but I have no doubt we've got a few leaders in that squad and we need to rely on them all.

All the way bud. He has that quality that stands up and wins. He's special.

It just feels like letting Tav keep it is the same treading water shite we've done since coming back up, Europe aside.
*Hagi is the future, let's f*cking embrace it. Tavernier is damaged goods, and if we are to be successful we have to move on from him.
Like the retail deal, a clean slate please.

*Disclaimer: Provided he signs, and if there isn't a midfield general being scouted that could be captain first...

You could have a point but I just can't see Gerrard making him captain - that is if the deal is 100% complete. Someone like Jack might not feature throughout the season and we perhaps need more than one guy that is considered captain. We might have some guys that aren't going to feature in every game but I have no doubt we've got a few leaders in that squad and we need to rely on them all.
Absolutely need them all to step up. We have leaders and I think Hagi is the perfect captain for all of them. Be bold and decisive. Broad strokes. Not drowned by our recent past.

Cus D'Amato said that boxing was 75% mental and emotional and 25% physical. He said if a boxer was 100% physically perfect but weak mentality a guy who was weaker physically but stronger mentality would beat him every time. He trained all his fighters to understand fear, that is to say in moments of intense pressure we must use fear as an energy to feed us and not allow ourselves to be controlled by it.

I think the philosophy of Cus is equally true of any sport and indeed of life. I think there are some people when confronted with that fear, that pressure, rise to the occasion and use it to lift them to their highest and greatest potential. These are the special ones that rise to the top because they are able to not only function effectively under high pressure but to feed off it and become better because of it.

Barry Ferguson as a kid had this. This is why Dick made him captain. I believe that Hagi has it it too. He refuses to wilt and makes no excuses to lose. He has an immense drive, a desire to win, he has this spark that becomes a roaringly blaze as Cus put it, to rise to the occasion and he can be an example to all around him. He is hungry and he has massive talent.

Watch that Braga match again, you telling me that wasn't a captains performance? I think so and I think he should be made captain. I think it would be a master stroke by SG to make him captain. Let's be honest for two years in a row it hasn't worked with Tav as captain and if rumours from January were true he was very close to leaving anyway. So let's start anew. A new captain.

I'll get stick I know but I've big broad shoulders and thick skin I can take it :cool:

Btw while I'm here. We should sell Glen Kamara and buy Paddy McNair and Lovro Majer.

I'll go back to my beer now :))

Cheers.
If he turns out to be half the player his dad was he will be massive for us.

I didn't say that. It's not about his technical ability it's about his heart. The spiritual aspect of sport that Cus D'Amato knew sport was really about. Mental strenght. That 75%. Hagi has that strong and also can really play football.

Cus D’Amato was boxing trainer who died 35 years ago mate. This is football in 2020.

Also like I said before, there’s nothing there to suggest Hagi has this alleged mental strength. He completely disappeared out of games away from home in the SPL.

It doesn’t have to be a Scot.

Doesn't have to be a Brit... but we needs someone who understands fully what Rangers FC stands for. Rangers are not a run of the mill club - the captain needs to understand and appreciate that fact, and need to embrace and propagate our British history and traditions.

Doesn't have to be a Brit... but we needs someone who understands fully what Rangers FC stands for. Rangers are not a run of the mill club - the captain needs to understand and appreciate that fact, and need to embrace and propagate our British history and traditions.

completely agree. We can no longer accept second place. That’s what this lot seem to be doing.

Hagi will 100% get the same abuse that Kent is now at some point.
I've never gave Kent any abuse. I understand that he's inexperienced, learning, he won't always turn it on and he will miss chances and have bad spells. That's to be expected.

I also understand that he's a winger being asked to play as a 10. And he is more dangerous as a winger because hes more confident there.

Hagi gives a balance in which everyone rises together. We are held back by our recent past, in creates too much fear in the minds of our players and not all can deal with it. We need fresh energy.

Hagi has it. And it's authentic. The guy is a star and he's driven by emotion. Got captain written all over him.

It's a no here. We need a captain in the Gough mould. Can't think of anyone in the current squad that fits that criteria.

I've never gave Kent any abuse. I understand that he's inexperienced, learning, he won't always turn it on and he will miss chances and have bad spells. That's to be expected.

I also understand that he's a winger being asked to play as a 10. And he is more dangerous as a winger because hes more confident there.

Hagi gives a balance in which everyone rises together. We are held back by our recent past, in creates too much fear in the minds of our players and not all can deal with it. We need fresh energy.

Hagi has it. And it's authentic. The guy is a star and he's driven by emotion. Got captain written all over him.
You're not wrong at all but there are many that expect him to be Laudrup, Hately and Ferguson all rolled into one because of what he cost. He's become a whipping boy recently and it's genuinely quite sickening.

Hagi will get it because of how obviously talented he is, when he inevitably has a dip in form people will call him a shitebag and say he has no heart.

People don't get that young players need time

Cus D’Amato was boxing trainer who died 35 years ago mate. This is football in 2020.

Also like I said before, there’s nothing there to suggest Hagi has this alleged mental strength. He completely disappeared out of games away from home in the SPL.
Our relationship to fear has not changed in 35 years nothing has changed psychologically. I'm saying that Cus D'Amatos way is Rangers way, it's a way of dealing with that elite pressure. A winning mentality. We always knew it was mental but some seem to have forgotten that. It's one of those links in the chain to our past that we must retain. I think Hagi has that magic in him to inspire it.

You're not wrong at all but there are many that expect him to be Laudrup, Hately and Ferguson all rolled into one because of what he cost. He's become a whipping boy recently and it's genuinely quite sickening.

Hagi will get it because of how obviously talented he is, when he inevitably has a dip in form people will call him a shitebag and say he has no heart.

Not really true. I think people just expected him to occasionally beat a man or lay on a goal. He’s one of the ones we look to make things happen and he had becomes incredibly ineffective.

Which is a big failing in our support and one that needs addressed.

You don’t always have to be in the Gough mould to be a captain. But the link to Barry is way off.

Talents like Hagi should be left to concentrate on their game while natural leaders, even from a young age, can be given that burden and thrive.

Back