Malik Tillman

Would not be spending anything close to 6 million to sign him on a permanent deal, heart of a mouse and comes across extremely lazy. Don’t usually agree with much that Gio does but he’s done the right thing by binning him early from previous starting 11’s
Yes he didn’t have a great game, but I think it’s unfair on a 20 year old the drivel being flung his way.

He has 10 pro senior starts of note, and already chipped in with goals and assists when we needed him most in Europe this season.

Tillman is a number 10. We don't play with a 10 in Europe, so he gets shoe horned in to a wider role, something that has happened to many "attacking midfielders" in the past.

There is no excuse though for his application. He got the jersey, that so many players would want. Playing for Rangers at Anfield in the Champions League.

Time for him to show some grit and determination. We all remember Stevie G saying "Joe Aribo shows no ego" when he got shunted to left back and gave us a shift.

Tillman has bags of talent, but its time to stop looking like a typical pampered modern day academy player, and show everyone he can perform week in week out.
This...

When we all heard we were getting a USA international from Bayern Munich we all said: 'how? Why?'. After a dozen games we now say: 'that's how. I know why.' Bayern knew what they were doing. He has talent but needs a lot of development.

Garbage but equally hung out to dry - he’s never a right winger but the manager seems hellbent on shoehorning him into this position in European games despite every game played here so far, he’s been utter garbage

Garbage but equally hung out to dry - he’s never a right winger but the manager seems hellbent on shoehorning him into this position in European games despite every game played here so far, he’s been utter garbage
Don’t talk nonsense. He’s had some very good games already for us. Don’t rewrite history and Chuck the toys out just because we were beaten by Liverpool.

Would not be spending anything close to 6 million to sign him on a permanent deal, heart of a mouse and comes across extremely lazy. Don’t usually agree with much that Gio does but he’s done the right thing by binning him early from previous starting 11’s
I would send him back asap.

Sooner lowry is fit the better, even hagi who turns like the titanic has a better work rate.

When are we going to learn these loans of young kids with barely any first team basicly never ever work !

Playing him on the right is mad but the least he could do as a professional is look half Intersted

He reminds me of OZIL at Arsenal with his body language (not ability)

About 5 weeks ago he was the second coming. Young player lacks a bit of consistency so he’s to be binned. Give it a few weeks and it’ll be play the young boys, why won’t we ever play the young boys?

Maybe, just maybe, he wasn’t the absolutely unbelievable talent we had him hyped to be the other week and maybe, just maybe, he’s not utterly useless. Perhaps we have a talented young kid who is making his way in the game and is adjusting to life at a club who’s support won’t accept a bad pass never mind a defeat to a top team. I think he’ll contribute positively as the season goes on, looks like he’s had a bit of a dip in confidence at the moment.

Don’t talk nonsense. He’s had some very good games already for us. Don’t rewrite history and Chuck the toys out just because we were beaten by Liverpool.
Which good games has he played in Europe for us?

He scored against USG but was mince for the first 70 or so minutes.

Away to PSV was decent in small spells.

Ajax - disgrace
Tonight - awful
In Belgium - awful

Rather than trying to make excuses for a new player, call it as you see it.

SPL he’s looked ok. Europe nowhere near it

We were never going to outplay them tonight so we had to either out work them, out fight them or out run them, none of which Tillman can do.
Square peg in a round home tonight and it showed from the first minute!!

It's down to the manager to get the most out of him. That said he's looked weak and stroppy in tough games. He shouldn't start on the right again. I was amazed he was played there AGAIN tonight.

I posted this on the match thread but I’ll do so again.
There was a thread a few weeks back where posters were creaming themselves over Tillman.
How much he was going to go for and how much he’ll make us.
Remember that?
Anyway, my opinion then is the same as it is now.
Give the lad a chance.
He was always going to drop a level or two after a fairly blistering start.
He’s a kid.
He was playing for Bayern Reserves six months ago.
Judge him again at the end of the season.

Which good games has he played in Europe for us?

He scored against USG but was mince for the first 70 or so minutes.

Away to PSV was decent in small spells.

Ajax - disgrace
Tonight - awful
In Belgium - awful

Rather than trying to make excuses for a new player, call it as you see it.

SPL he’s looked ok. Europe nowhere near it
He’s started ten games his whole career at senior level. Of course he will be up and down. Back the lad

For weeks I’ve thought that Tillman has looked uninterested. I genuinely think he doesn’t want to be with Rangers and thinks he’s better than us. His effort, application and attitude on the pitch screams this out to me. The boy has some talent, no question, but he’s a waste of a jersey and was very much the wrong selection tonight.

He was 1 of a generally poor midfield tonight but for me it’s been evident for some time that he’s just not interested.
I was hugely worried by what I considered a lack of application in a pre match warm up in the Spurs friendly. I then thought, don’t be daft. But it’s manifesting now in nearly every major game we’ve played. How do you shift a players mentality to be hungry and full of desire? Because we need to do it with this lad

Honestly cant judge this player when hes in and out of the squad and played out of position by a manager who bores you. To be a manager of our club or any club. Make the players enjoy playing for us. Make it an attractive club to play for.

No idea why Gio persists with him wide right, worse than a man down there.
Shrugged off the ball far too easily tonight and his effort levels are appalling.

I get that he is young and will have inconsistent performances but he doesn't run, he just stands about looking like he can't be arsed. I don't understand it.

You can have all the talent in the world, but nobody is ever going to see that if you lumber about like you’ve been tannings mogadons all day.

He'll never make it at Bayern, attitude is not one of a winner.

Will be make it at the level below? We'll see...

Our support are bonkers. He is 20 years old playing against one of the best teams in the world and he's playing out of position...it's the manager that needs looked at not him

Keep reading that he’s being played out of position which is true but no matter where you are being played in our team, and whether you agree with where you’re being asked to play or not, you give 100% for that jersey. Anything less is criminal. Lost count the amount of times (and he wasn’t alone tonight) where we slowly jog about when not in possession instead of closing the opposition down quickly the way Liverpool did when we had the ball. You can have all the talent in the world but if you’re a lazy / selfish player, you shouldn’t be near the team…..

Utter pish & disinterested on a stage he should be doing his utmost to impress. Sakala done far more in one minute than he done all 65 minutes, of which he should have been subbed far earlier but not so by our inept manager. We could all see it why not the manager!

He was a disgrace tonight.

A lazy, lazy performance.

Gio shouldn’t play him out right, but zero excuse for his piss poor effort.

He should have been nowhere near the first 11. He's lazy and wantrs too much time on the ball. Our fans are often well wide of the mark but a professional manager selecting him tonight and keeping him on the pitch for that long suggests our manager is s bigger problem than the shitebag that us Tillman

Great with the ball at his feet. Very strong and got tools to be a very good player just not the attitude or desire. Hopefully as he grows up he finds the heart and dedication to put that extra bit in his game clearly needs.

he is as far away as a right winger that we have been crying out for

play sakala there or a proper right winger

not a player thats played about 10 games for bayern in dead ducks and is a central midfielder or a striker ( that i cant imagine ) as hes far too slow

He’s certainly a player, he can play the game with ridiculous ease, but he’s not a team mate who can be relied on unfortunately…

I was permanently banned for commenting that replacing Aribo with a young loanee who had barely played professional football was utter madness. I stand by it.

I do think he has potential but he's never a straight replacement for Aribo. Our recruitment has been so poor recently.

I was permanently banned for commenting that replacing Aribo with a young loanee who had barely played professional football was utter madness. I stand by it.

I do think he has potential but he's never a straight replacement for Aribo. Our recruitment has been so poor recently.

Lawrence and Tillman was supposed to make up for the loss of Aribo.

I genuinely don't think he knew what he was supposed to be doing tonight. Seemed to just amble around taking up pointless positions.

Like a lot of our players he’s been thrown under a bus.

Not every player is Joe Aribo and able to play all over the park.

£9m for him and Sands and yet we’ve missed out on so many talented first team quality players at that price because we can’t afford it.

Seems like hes a luxury player but certainly should not be played on the right wing and was even deeper than in previous games playing on the right

Rotten. Slowest player in the team and holds on to the ball for about a week before playing it. His work ethic is terrible as well.

But surely of you play him anywhere it's midfield and not on the wing? How often does that experiment need to fail?

Lawrence and Tillman was supposed to make up for the loss of Aribo.

I genuinely don't think he knew what he was supposed to be doing tonight. Seemed to just amble around taking up pointless positions.

Yeah he was hung out to dry tonight. Not sure what Gios thinking was playing him out there. He's clearly not suited to the role and doesn't look comfortable. I can only think he has shoehorned him for the sole reason that he has a bit of height and can help defend set pieces. Other than that he offers nothing out there. He should only ever be played in the CAM role.

Back