Malmo fans reaction to the draw

Got told on here last month they were "levels above us in every aspect of the game" lol
They were the better side but as posted earlier, it was pretty close until the Roofe red card - if Roofe goes for that with his head it's probably a penalty to us and their keeper is sent off.

The first goal in the second leg was always going to be crucial and it ultimately made the difference.

It certainly wasn't comfortable or streets apart, at least not till we went down to 9 men.

They were the better side but as posted earlier, it was pretty close until the Roofe red card - if Roofe goes for that with his head it's probably a penalty to us and their keeper is sent off.

The first goal in the second leg was always going to be crucial and it ultimately made the difference.

It certainly wasn't comfortable or streets apart, at least not till we went down to 9 men.
We also shouldve won the 1st leg despite our players all being hungover from the title celebrations.

Couldn't get anything from HJK, their pages don't have much following. Managed to pull the following from Malmo's forum:

"It's time again. Rangers tremble. They remember ..."

"So we start at home against Rangers."

Worst possible scenario of all possible.

"WHAT THE HELL IS UEFA AGAINST US?"

"Rangers then. Thinking back on matches against Hibernians, Celtic and ... Rangers. And then it feels pretty good."

"Damn! PS. That it will be home first, then. Scotland is crap, so we have to fix it anyway."

"Yes finally! Rangers!"

"oof, Rangers ... gets tough, really tough ..."

"Who the hell are the rangers… we are malmö for hell !!!"

"Home for the third fucking time .. Rangers if we now beat Helsinki"

"Me: Fun with the draw today. Looking forward to this. Do not hope for Rangers, the absolute strongest team, but if we get them then start away.
UEFA:"

"MFF beat Rangers already in 2011. Isn't it harder now?
Fun with Helander's return."

"Shit too. Nightmare to finish away."

"Malmö FF - Slayers of Scotland."

"Too bad we can't have the stadium full. How is it in Scotland? The UK has removed all restrictions, hasn't it?"

"Three draws and all finish away. Tighten the hell up UEFA."

"Feels right ok .. would have been better to start away, but meeting a Rangers who barely got started after the holidays gives us an advantage. Have we ever played against a Scottish team? Feels like we have everything to gain. All to Glasgow, if we get .."

"JDT vs Gerrard meet again after Istanbul -05, hope JDT gets their revenge!"

"The positive thing about rangers is that we have often found it easier to bark at hyper-offensive teams, which rangers are (Olympiakos, Red bull, etc.) while teams like Slavia Prague and the red star who are very defensively strong tend to be flat matches."

"They are hardly in season when the 3rd qualifying round is decided.British teams suit us well and JDT has extensive experience of these teams"

"Ponne has a chat with Helander. At least 3 own goals!"

"It's fun that we can come across Helander! And Halsti now on Wednesday!
Which we have had! And what a homecoming team we will be able to build soon.
In many Allsvenskan matches, former or loaned MFF players also dominate!"

"What a meeting! Europe is finally starting!"

"Rangers fans talk about whether we have conceded 16 goals in according to them a "shitty" league in 12 games .. they seem to have missed our defensive addition until the meetings against them;) In addition, 2011 still haunts them: D"

"Is it true that you can travel from Sweden to Scotland if you are fully vaccinated?

If so, it's ALL for GLASGOW !!!"

"If there is no away goal rule anymore, it is easier to relate to away matches. We'll give the iron at home and go tough away. Can we hope that Filip takes one for the "team" and takes a red card in the 10th minute?"

"One can only hope that Rangers have better control of the economy nowadays. Sad if we were to bankrupt them a second time ....."

"Slavia Prague knocked Rangers out relatively comfortably from the EL last year. What says this is the worst case scenario?"

"The first match was a cross then Prague won the return when Rangers had an expelled player. On paper, the Rangers are the strongest team this year of these 3 but we will still beat them. That in combination with us finishing away is the toughest we could get this draw."

"Rangers come into the round that is Malmö's third despite their merits in Europe. Can someone explain."

"Nightmare draw deluxe!
Good we pick down the Finns then the Scots will bankrupt again. Taking home helander after that"

"Worst possible outcome on that draw. But if the stars are right, it may well succeed again"

"Rangers did so well in the EL last season so of course they should be allowed to try it again. Good to get to play a little more EL before you can try CL. Good luck next season, Rangers"
Helsinki is nice this time of year!

I wonder if yesterday's result set off a few alarm bells over there!

You would think the relative squad values alone might have set a few very loud air raid sirens going off. Their squad is valued at around £20m while ours is valued around £85m.

And that's before adding in not just our recent runs to the knockout stages but Steven Gerrard in qualifying rounds. Managed 11 won all 11. We were the hardest draw they could get.

Reading through one of their Facebook groups they are saying that it was only a friendly and that their team is solid now and everything has fitted into place so they reckon they will beat us comfortably

Reading through one of their Facebook groups they are saying that it was only a friendly and that their team is solid now and everything has fitted into place so they reckon they will beat us comfortably
What’s the score in their Helsinki game?

Yes it will be difficult. Them being well into their season is a big fitness advantage and they’re top of a league similar to ours.
Second leg at Ibrox,full house no away goals and I think we're well capable of winning that game and our away record in Europe is impressive and when you consider we've seen off the likes of Porto and Benfica who I think are better. I think we should go into that first game with confidence sky high. If Alfie is still around I'd expect him to at least be on the bench.

Every team deserves respect and Gerrard will have the players ready (they looked ready this weekend).

I think it will be Malmo we face but they still have work to do a lot of work tbh.

It’s not ideal playing a team well into there own domestic campaign but if we play anywhere near the level we can we win. Good result over there needed.

Second leg at Ibrox,full house no away goals and I think we're well capable of winning that game and our away record in Europe is impressive and when you consider we've seen off the likes of Porto and Benfica who I think are better. I think we should go into that first game with confidence sky high. If Alfie is still around I'd expect him to at least be on the bench.
We are well capable and i reckon we’ll win but I’ve been around long enough to remember not only Malmo putting us out of CL but also another Swedish team well into their season, IFK Gothenburg. The advantage being well into your season is not to be underestimated.

Don't understand this Slavia beat us comfortably thing at all.

Kent was denied by a fingertip save and Goldson had a golden chance in the first leg, both around the 67th minute mark at 1-1. We could have won that game.

Who knows what would have happened if Roofe hadn't been sent off, it was only going one way after that though. Leverkusen beat us comfortably, Slavia weren't until the red cards.

Not to mention that Tavernier missing was a huge blow. Patterson is a great talent and done exceptionally well, but we missed our captain and first choice right back.

Kent was denied by a fingertip save and Goldson had a golden chance in the first leg, both around the 67th minute mark at 1-1. We could have won that game.

Who knows what would have happened if Roofe hadn't been sent off, it was only going one way after that though. Leverkusen beat us comfortably, Slavia weren't until the red cards.

Not to mention that Tavernier missing was a huge blow. Patterson is a great talent and done exceptionally well, but we missed our captain and first choice right back.
We had the momentum until Roofe’s card. And if that play happened just slightly differently it would have been Slavia down to 10 men.

It looked a comfortable win for them in the end but it certainly wasn’t 2 comfortable games. We fell apart in the 2nd match and the players had had a bit of a party before it. If we had been at it I’m not sure we’d have lost and it certainly wouldn’t have looked as comfortable. Our manager and his team will have learnt a lot from that game.

It looked a comfortable win for them in the end but it certainly wasn’t 2 comfortable games. We fell apart in the 2nd match and the players had had a bit of a party before it. If we had been at it I’m not sure we’d have lost and it certainly wouldn’t have looked as comfortable. Our manager and his team will have learnt a lot from that game.

Losing Tav & Jack for that tie was a big negative for us too WV.

Losing Tav & Jack for that tie was a big negative for us too WV.
That’s right, it was sickening watching Tav break down in the previous game. We done very well to keep our players playing last season but a few things definitely culminated for that game. The more I think of it the more I think we’d have won it if it had come a few weeks earlier.

I thought we were looking good for a goal to get back in it but the Roofe red curtailed that, and the rest is History

It was on a knife edge until Roofe got sent off mate

The two teams were very similar in quality
Really? Maybe my minds playing tricks on me but we were second best for the majority of the 1st leg and the whole of the second leg

Goldson missed a header in Prague but the game could’ve been out of sight by that point. Draw flattered us in Prague and they were worthy of their win at Ibrox

Didn't help we were still celebrating winning the league.

A bit of sharpness was definitely lost.
This was the biggest factor for me. Huge pressure valve was released when we won the league. Not a criticism or lack of professionalism, just a natural consequence of such a massive achievement. It was probably the one negative of winning the league so early.

Back