Malmo fans reaction to the draw

I never realised Jon Dahl Tomasson was the Head Coach. Great player back in the day.

Has the date been confirmed for the first leg? Tuesday or Wednesday next week? Seen a few contradicting dates online but I've probably missed something official.

I think they might be comparable to say a Hibs of last season. But this isn't a league where a draw can nick you a point against a superior side. It's a 2 legged knockout and i'm wondering if they will be adventurous in their home game.
In terms of revenue it seems Malmo's is about £31m while ours is £59m. Aberdeen are like £15m and Hibs maybe £9m? Somewhere in that region. So you'd suspect they'd beat Hibs but they also don't seem to have started their qualifiers playing great stuff either.

Is our squad better now than when we last played them a decade ago? Gerrard is better for a start. I'm trying not to be all misty eyed but I think our current team and playing style would smash the team of 2011.

McGregor
Bougherra
Weir (c)
Papac
Whittaker
Davis
McCulloch
Edu
Wallace
Jelavic
Naismith

Alexander
Broadfoot
Fleck
Healy
Ortiz
Wylde
Hemmings
That bench isn’t/wasn’t great even by 2011 standards.

Defence solid enough but Whittaker was weak down the right.

Did Wallace play Left Midfield? Or Was Papac shoe horned into midfield?

Strong partnership on paper up front which for a variety of reasons we didn’t see often enough.

I think the current team would shade it. They are a solid, cohesive unit. They are better organised and appear to have a game plan. We also have a better manager.

I never realised Jon Dahl Tomasson was the Head Coach. Great player back in the day.

Has the date been confirmed for the first leg? Tuesday or Wednesday next week? Seen a few contradicting dates online but I've probably missed something official.
6pm on Tuesday according to the match page

Bougherra was better than Goldson but I’d pick Morelos over Jelavic every day of the week
It would be the other way around for me, Goldson better than Bougherra defensively, and Jelavic much better than Morelos. But these are different times so Morelos has more an impact.

Yes confirmed Tuesday 6pm KO.

Live on Premier Sports and Rangers TV

Look at Goldsons full time at us holistically, would you honestly have classed him as a leader in Gerrards first 2 seasons?

I’ll be honest, I’d have been happy for him to leave before the start of last season (for clarity, I think he’s invaluable to our team at present).

However, there’s a lot of revisionism in terms of how good Goldsons been for us purely because he had the season of his life last season
I never said I would take goldson before bougherra, bougherra for me was better as he had more attributes but goldson Jist seems more captain material than him

I actually think the general consensus among them is that we were the one to avoid
Hello everyone,

Im here with respect first of all.
Just to give you some input before the clash,

We do have respect for you guys as there is no secret that your squad net worth is ~4x higher than ours.
However, what have always been a big part in our success in Europe since facing you guys in 2011, despite the low budget in the club compared to others (At that time ~15m euros total) is the fact that we always believe so hard and I think we have built a reputation of being very loud in our stadium.
That same year we were 1 goal and a bar hit away from reaching the CL group stage.

2018 and 2019 we advanced from EL group stage (won the group with Dinamo Kyiv and FC Copenhagen) with an estimated squad value of ~15m euros. I would call that pretty impressive.

This year we have really got things going after a shaky start. Birmancevic, our new winger is just mad quality and way too good for the 1m euros we bought him for. 6 goals and 2 assists in 11 games ( 7 from start) is pretty solid. He is insanely fast.

May the best team win!

Last edited:
Hello everyone,

We do have respect for you guys as there is no secret that your squad net worth is ~4x higher than ours.
However, what have always been a big part in our success in Europe since facing you guys in 2011, despite the low budget in the club compared to others (At that time ~15m euros total) is the fact that we always believe so hard and I think we have built a reputation of being very loud in our stadium.
That same year we were 1 goal and a bar hit away from reaching the CL
Hello and welcome. If all goes well rules wise here then the home leg at Ibrox will be the first game played to a full house since March 2020. I’d expect some noise as 50,000 of us are allowed back in to see our champions!

Hello everyone,

Welcome to the site Rex. Are you concerned at how open you were against Helsinki and the lack of creativity you had (i watched both games in full)? You seemed pretty weak defensively imo. Strangely so at set pieces.

Hello everyone,

Hello everyone,

We are a much better team than we were in 2011.

If everything stays to plan we will have 50,000 inside the stadium. It has potential to be one the loudest and best atmospheres we’ve had.

Hello and welcome. If all goes well rules wise here then the home leg at Ibrox will be the first game played to a full house since March 2020. I’d expect some noise as 50,000 of us are allowed back in to see our champions!
Im glad to hear the Scotts knows how to use common sense compared to our Swedish politicians, we will be allowed around 4500 home fans, which is sad as its 2 teams with a very solid fan culture. As you may know we use to be loud at our stadium for just being 24.000 max capacity.

Hello everyone,

That same year we were 1 goal and a bar hit away from reaching the CL group stage.

2018 and 2019 we advanced from EL group stage (won the group with Dinamo Kyiv and FC Copenhagen) with an estimated squad value of ~15m euros. I would call that pretty impressive.

This year we have really got things going after a shaky start. Birmancevic, our new winger is just mad quality and way too good for the 1m euros we bought him for. 6 goals and 2 assists in 11 games ( 7 from start) is pretty solid. He is insanely fast.

May the best team win!
All due respect, we're a totally different team from 2011. I expect a comfortable win.

Welcome to the site Rex. Are you concerned at how open you were against Helsinki and the lack of creativity you had (i watched both games in full)? You seemed pretty weak defensively imo. Strangely so at set pieces.
Hello and thank you.
Good question, the reason for this is probably the shite plastic balcony pitch they play on, it should be banned in european foootball according to me.
Its easy to forget how much impact a hard, wet plastic pitch can have on a team, we also see it in Sweden. HJK played a football were they also seemed to play very much as 1 unit - attacking with 9 players, defending with 11.

Hello everyone,

Welcome.

You will certainly see a different beast in this year's tie.

We have respect for Malmo between the 3 we were grouped before the draw (Malmo,Sheriff Tiraspol and Ferencváros) most had Malmo as the one to avoid.

We are confident in our team because of our recent successes, I think a number of Malmo fans are looking at 2011 and taking confidence from it and I believe its irrelevant.

I watched your games against HJK and there was a good atmosphere however it'll be cancelled out at Ibrox especially as we're expecting our first full capacity crowd since covid and since we've been champions, the atmosphere should be loud.

How do you see the tie going?

That bench isn’t/wasn’t great even by 2011 standards.

Defence solid enough but Whittaker was weak down the right.

Did Wallace play Left Midfield? Or Was Papac shoe horned into midfield?

Strong partnership on paper up front which for a variety of reasons we didn’t see often enough.

I think the current team would shade it. They are a solid, cohesive unit. They are better organised and appear to have a game plan. We also have a better manager.
The team lineup was irrelevant.
The preparation and tactical nous in the approach to the game was the problem, notwithstanding the huge difficulty regarding the timing of the games in each team's season which awarded Malmo a significant advantage.
That eleven properly prepared should have beaten that Malmo team with something to spare.
It didn't because the manager was complacent.
I had already mentioned it before the match on this forum.

Malmo still take the same advantage into the forthcoming games, however, I envisage that the current manager will be fully aware of the problems that will arise and that he will have factored everything necessary into his approach and tactical plan.

Man for man the current squad is stronger than the one back then, but more importantly, the organisation that they will take onto the park will be far superior.

Welcome.

You will certainly see a different beast in this year's tie.

We have respect for Malmo between the 3 we were grouped before the draw (Malmo,Sheriff Tiraspol and Ferencváros) most had Malmo as the one to avoid.

We are confident in our team because of our recent successes, I think a number of Malmo fans are looking at 2011 and taking confidence from it and I believe its irrelevant.

I watched your games against HJK and there was a good atmosphere however it'll be cancelled out at Ibrox especially as we're expecting our first full capacity crowd since covid and since we've been champions, the atmosphere should be loud.

How do you see the tie going?
My heart says Malmö win after great plays from our cap Anders Christiansen which have a really good form atm and some good plays from Birmancevic and Colak, rememberr the names.

Also we have our CB Anel Ahmedhodzic wich is a super talent I would say, schooled in Malmö. Bids from Atalanta on 80m euros, which would be the 2nd biggest transfer in the leauge after Isak from AIK to Dortmund. But Malmö turned the offer down saying at least 10m euros.
Man UTD, Benfica, Porto, Milan, Napoli and Atalanta are the clubs fighting for him. He is VERY very good. Insane slide tackles and a very very good passing foot. Has a good eye!

I remember back in the day on FF whenever we’d draw against some random side in Europe, one of their fans would sign up and it was invariably some tim putting on a dodgy impression. Good times

Also, I see a lot of people saying your squad is much better now than 2011, which is understandable as you went through the leauge undefeated last season, didnt you?

The same goes for us, we had ~ 15m euros in the club back then. after that We've had 2 group stages in CL and 2 group stages in EL. That gave us a lot of money, we bought our arena and upgraded our facilities and last but not least, better quality players.
The thing that can take us past this leg is Rangers underestimating us, if you do - you will have a sweaty time.

My heart says Malmö win after great plays from our cap Anders Christiansen which have a really good form atm and some good plays from Birmancevic and Colak, rememberr the names.

Also we have our CB Anel Ahmedhodzic wich is a super talent I would say, schooled in Malmö. Bids from Atalanta on 80m euros, which would be the 2nd biggest transfer in the leauge after Isak from AIK to Dortmund. But Malmö turned the offer down saying at least 10m euros.
Man UTD, Benfica, Porto, Milan, Napoli and Atalanta are the clubs fighting for him. He is VERY very good. Insane slide tackles and a very very good passing foot. Has a good eye!
I presume you mean 8m Euros, if not, that would be a transfer negotiation worthy of one of our past CEOs...

My wife's family are in Malmo and I've been to a few games, last one was a CL qualifier in Aug 19, I like the stadium and getting a few beers sitting in the sunshine doesn't hurt.
I'll be over in October, will hopefully catch a game then too.

just checked, it was actually 2018, against Cluj.

OK. Clearly got us covered as we don't have any good players that Malmo should worry about at all. Just relax. :cool:

Regarding Naismith getting into today's team;

A fully fit Naismith who was playing regularly would feature in the squad, no doubt about that.

But one of my biggest gripes about him was how long it took him to get up to speed. If he got injured it took him ages to reach that level of match sharpness.
He had many poor games before he hit that level.

Also, I see a lot of people saying your squad is much better now than 2011, which is understandable as you went through the leauge undefeated last season, didnt you?

The same goes for us, we had ~ 15m euros in the club back then. after that We've had 2 group stages in CL and 2 group stages in EL. That gave us a lot of money, we bought our arena and upgraded our facilities and last but not least, better quality players.
The thing that can take us past this leg is Rangers underestimating us, if you do - you will have a sweaty time.
Even though some of our fans will underestimate Malmö, the team absolutely won’t. Gerrard and his backing staff having brought a level of professionalism we have not had in the past and will have done hours of detailed analysis on Malmö.

It sounds like you have some decent attacking players, it should be an excellent game because we will go to Malmö to win and are extremely strong in every position.

A centre back that has to slide tackle too often, might need a wee bit of refinement.
Leaving the field with clean shorts and a clean sheet are the mark of good defenders.
I think Paulo Maldini set the bar in this respect. :)

Regarding Naismith getting into today's team;

A fully fit Naismith who was playing regularly would feature in the squad, no doubt about that.

But one of my biggest gripes about him was how long it took him to get up to speed. If he got injured it took him ages to reach that level of match sharpness.
He had many poor games before he hit that level.
At his best, he was a very good player, but he wouldn't be a first pick in this squad.

Our coaching/ management staff won't allow us to underestimate an opponent. We are confident because we have been beating teams of similar and bigger stature than yourselves for the past 3 years. Some of our fans may not respect the challenge that is in front of them but rest assured our team will treat Malmo with the upmost respect and will have studied all that is good about you guys, more importantly they will have studied where the weaknesses are.

I'd like to wish you all the best in your Europa campaign and in Sweden ;)

A centre back that has to slide tackle too often, might need a wee bit of refinement.
Leaving the field with clean shorts and a clean sheet are the mark of good defenders.
I think Paulo Maldini set the bar in this respect. :)
Well I see your point. But the thing is Anel is a very good CB that plays with high risk - high reward.
He does this so well that some of the biggest clubs in the world wants to buy him. You should google his highlights, he completely deleted Mpapé when BIH met France recently.

our management team dont under estimate ANYONE and thats what makes the fans so confident imo

Well I see your point. But the thing is Anel is a very good CB that plays with high risk - high reward.
He does this so well that some of the biggest clubs in the world wants to buy him. You should google his highlights, he completely deleted Mpapé when BIH met France recently.
I will watch with interest.
No disrespect if I hope he doesn't have his best outings.

Will you have full capacity inside the stadium or are there still restrictions?
Sadly we are only allowed 4.500 instead of 21.000 as in we were in that clip. Out of those 4.500 there will be a few 100´s on the stand.. so not as good atmosphere as it should and could have been...

Your team are going to get a tanking my friend.

This last 3 years we have had a very decent time in our European adventures. Not our only defeat but maybe only Bayern Leverkusen gave us a footballing lesson.

I don’t think there is any chance of Rangers the club underestimating you. We haven’t played a competitive game yet (tomorrow is our first) and this will obviously be to your advantage. Hopefully be a couple of decent games. No matter which of us goes through the next round is looking very tough.

Sadly we are only allowed 4.500 instead of 21.000 as in we were in that clip. Out of those 4.500 there will be a few 100´s on the stand.. so not as good atmosphere as it should and could have been...
We might not get a full house. We hope so but the politicians in Scotland have been quite unreliable in sticking to their original deadlines. We have just under 50% capacity in our first league game this weekend.

My heart says Rangers win as, from the list of teams you listed that are after your best player, we topped a group featuring Benfica (2 draws we really should have won), beat Porto and have made the last 16 of the Europa league the past 2 seasons beating numerous high quality teams with far, far higher budgets than us along the way. We are almost at full strength and have started the past 3 seasons on fire. Should be a great game.

Hello everyone,

May the best team win!
Hello, Swedish Gaz

My heart says Rangers win as, from the list of teams you listed that are after your best player, we topped a group featuring Benfica (2 draws we really should have won), beat Porto and have made the last 16 of the Europa league the past 2 seasons beating numerous high quality teams with far, far higher budgets than us along the way. We are almost at full strength and have started the past 3 seasons on fire. Should be a great game.
How nice, passion beats money and oil sheikhs!! %^*& the modern football!

8-0 Rangers.

Hello everyone,

May the best team win!8-0

Back