Man charged with Manslaughter over Sala Death

Its alleged the pilot wasn't permitted to fly at night. No point in placing restrictions on someone like that if they wont policed/enforced!

Book the flight all you want, but if the the pilot’s restrictions had been checked... Unfortunately, its always a person to blame never a system.

I don’t think aviation law restricts a PPL holder from flying at night. It only restricts them from flying in situations where you can’t see the ground, or have visibility less than allowed legal requirement. The pilot has to make that determination in flight as conditions progress. They can’t at any point enter cloud.

So this can was a crazy flight to attempt but legally he can fly at night as long as he sticks to the rules. If this was caused by losing visuals then that is pilot error.

The commercial passenger thing is another matter. A PPL holder can’t do that.

The pilot reportedly wasn’t qualified to fly at night so however arranged for him to take the flight will be blamed.
Surely the blame lies at the pilot?

If I haven't passed my test and someone tells me to go drive a car on my own and I do it, that's my fault and I can't go pin the blame elsewhere.

If the pilot knew he wasn't qualified to fly at night - which he will have, obviously, then the only person at blame is him.

Edit: Jut seen this was old and the guy in question has been found not guilty.

I still don't get why you would put your most expensive new signing in what is essentially a flying washing machine. Surely there was an easyjet flight from France to Wales or even England which would have been cheaper and safer
I still don't get why you would put your most expensive new signing in what is essentially a flying washing machine. Surely there was an easyjet flight from France to Wales or even England which would have been cheaper and safer

was it not a personal journey......

I don’t think aviation law restricts a PPL holder from flying at night. It only restricts them from flying in situations where you can’t see the ground, or have visibility less than allowed legal requirement. The pilot has to make that determination in flight as conditions progress. They can’t at any point enter cloud.

So this can was a crazy flight to attempt but legally he can fly at night as long as he sticks to the rules. If this was caused by losing visuals then that is pilot error.

The commercial passenger thing is another matter. A PPL holder can’t do that.
The levels of neglect are quite bamboozling aren’t they

Back