Man City are trying to buy fans

mkgers

km3fIL9.jpg

Is this not just the saddest thing you've ever seen.

Absolutely despise Man City. A club for corporate executives.
When they scored to take the lead last night the camera cut to the crowd and it was a stand of people sat on their arse with their face tripping them and 1 young guy celebrating.

I'm not understanding what it is they're asking? Put them on social media and you get access to the game?

Basically they are asking social media "influencers" (wankers who post selfies on Instagram and the likes) to pretend they support Man City and to post about how great it is. Preferred Mancunian of course...

"Relatively unknown"

Wow.

Shakhtar, Dinamo Zagreb and Atalanta. Any self respecting football fan knows all about these sides.

A pathetic tin pot support. Never forget a City fan telling me he'd rather they won the league than the Champions League as "no one cares about it".

Won't be long until someone says they've got more fans in Manchester than Utd. That's my particular favourite.

"Relatively unknown"

Wow.

Shakhtar, Dinamo Zagreb and Atalanta. Any self respecting football fan knows all about these sides.

A pathetic tin pot support. Never forget a City fan telling me he'd rather they won the league than the Champions League as "no one cares about it".

Won't be long until someone says they've got more fans in Manchester than Utd. That's my particular favourite.

I am willing to bet without even looking it up that Shaktar and Zagreb at least have won far more league titles than Man City.

Had so many great times in the 90s as a teenager going Maine Road with a mate who was a City fan from School. Train down, looking in Hurley's etc.. at clothes, bus down to Claremont Road and Moss Side from Picadilly Gardens. Never bought a ticket before we got there, often got 1 off one the lads shifting them outside. Going in the Sherwood, Claremont etc once we had the confidence to try and buy a beer. Just like a new Club to me this Man City now.

I remember they had an amazing support when they were in the third tier. Their away support was tremendous. Where are the actual real hard core city fans, the guys that followed them 15 years ago. Are they still there? It seems like a souless place. Man city are the easiest top 6 side to get a home ticket for at face value. Trying to get a ticket for Liverpool is an absolute nightmare.

No worries pal. For me this completely ends the debate on Manchester City as a club.
Not a club in the slightest anymore a modern wank fest of a club that probably gives not one %^*& about their local supporters. Happy to price their salt of the earth fans out of tickets to pull in aww these weirdos. Feel sorry for genuine city fans they must be wondering wtf they're club is turning into.

Grew up with Man City when they used to toil at Maine Road and they were miles behind Utd. Always had a soft spot for them as iv'e no time for Man U.
Surprised they struggle to sell out for CL games and their home atmosphere in Europe is probably the poorest for an English team.
Don't really have a problem with them and love seeing them beat Utd.

Last edited:
They're offering to pay people with more than 5,000 followers to post saying how good the atmosphere is at the Etihad and to give people "FOMO" - fear of missing out.

I would say even more sadder than Man City are the fucktards that would actually have FOMO after reading some muppets social media post.

I hate what this society has become.

I remember they had a tremendous support when they were in the third tier. Their away support was tremendous. Where are the actual real hard core city fans, the guys that followed them 15 years ago. Are they still there? It seems like a souless place. Man city are the easiest top 6 side to get a home ticket for at fave value. Trying to get a ticket for Liverpool is an absolute nightmare.

Went to their first match in the 3rd tier, was a Friday night v Blackpool - think they won 3-0. Remember buying a ticket in the away end off a Manc Tout, me mate wasn't keen "fucking hell lads it's Blackpool not fucking Millwall".

Sadly with the ever growing power/influence of social media this is a route an increasing number of clubs will go down over the next decade, especially for promoting club products.

“3 relatively unknown teams”

Disrespectful as %^*&. Shakhtar and Zagreb have been playing in the Champions League since before times that Man City were shipping 8 goals at the Riverside.

Atalanta have a very good history too. Maybe not as strong in Europe, but I don't know anyone that wouldn't have heard of them.

It's buying fans in the literal sense. Actually bribing the instagram generation to make out the Etihad is anything other than a relatively poorly attended stadium bereft of soul and genuine passion.

I guess it depends on if they hire someone who is already a Man City fan or just a random.

Sadly with the ever growing power/influence of social media this is a route an increasing number of clubs will go down over the next decade, especially for promoting club products.
City must have a pile of unsold half City-half Zagreb/Shaktar/Atalanta scarves.

Football clubs must be run on good business lines but ultimately they belong to a community of like minded people. This is sad for football.

My mate told me that his kid's school, in Rutherglen area, was given loads of free tickets for champs league nights for City a few seasons ago. They ran buses, 3 I think it was, to and from the game. They can obviously do that because they have surplus tickets and the money to put on buses but it will likely have gained them some supporters from it.

I'll go against the grain here, it's easy to laugh and call them tinpot but it will help grow their fanbase and they will reap the benefit from it in years to come.

I would like to see us do more to attract fans outwith our 'traditional' core support.

My mate told me that his kid's school, in Rutherglen area, was given loads of free tickets for champs league nights for City a few seasons ago. They ran buses, 3 I think it was, to and from the game. They can obviously do that because they have surplus tickets and the money to put on buses but it will likely have gained them some supporters from it.

I'll go against the grain here, it's easy to laugh and call them tinpot but it will help grow their fanbase and they will reap the benefit from it in years to come.

I would like to see us do more to attract fans outwith our 'traditional' core support.
It will have gained them a few "supporters" in the modern day sense i.e a few people who watch them on YouTube and Sky. They won't be match going supporters.

Previous generations might have viewed them as a joke, current generations see them as a sellout but to future generations they will be a super club who compete against Real and Barca.

We might not like the way football is going but nothing is going to change that.

They are a joke, their fans are tragic during games and create no atmosphere at all even on big champions league nights.

It will have gained them a few "supporters" in the modern day sense i.e a few people who watch them on YouTube and Sky. They won't be match going supporters.

Not regular match-goers no, but could easily see them going to games every now and again - I've been told that there is a Man U bus that leaves from George Sq. And City will likely be the top they buy, whereas previously it might have been Utd, Chelsea or day I say Rangers or cel'ic. They can easily engage with City social media, increasing their advertising potential.

The game/world has changed from what it was pre-internet, the nature of 'supporting' a club is also changing. As much as we all hate it.

Everything that’s wrong with the English Premiership “top tier” right there. Obscene amounts of money ruining the game.

They are a joke, their fans are tragic during games and create no atmosphere at all even on big champions league nights.

Not defending city here as I hold the same view as most, but would you trade the atmosphere of big matches for CL success - which will surely come to city?

I feel for the real fans, know a guy goes home and away all over England.

But every club in top 10 has its tourist fans now, just city have the most.

ffs even West Ham have loads of day trippers now, nothing like the Boleyn

Back