Man City are trying to buy fans

Correct. It’s no different from having a celebrity advertise perfume or a website. Whilst it’s a shame they need to do it, this is the quickest and most effective way to reach a large audience.
They are the champions of the richest and most popular league in world football.

What is the large audience they need to reach that they don't already?

Wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of "influencers" trying to influence things against them now.

I certainly have no FOMO whatsoever. The ups and downs of the last two weeks in our league have been an authentic roller coaster which we're all emotionally invested in.

Begging for attention and disrespecting three famous European clubs will work in the opposite way.

I remember they had an amazing support when they were in the third tier. Their away support was tremendous. Where are the actual real hard core city fans, the guys that followed them 15 years ago. Are they still there? It seems like a souless place. Man city are the easiest top 6 side to get a home ticket for at face value. Trying to get a ticket for Liverpool is an absolute nightmare.
Had a mate who was a big city fan all his days followed them everywhere ..after 3/4 years at the Etihad he chucked it .. atmosphere was piss poor compared to Maine rd.
Now follows non league team in his area ..along a load of his city mates from following them in the 80/90s
Totally agree with you and Liverpool .. nightmare getting briefs

That is utterly tragic.

Both Manchester clubs are exactly the same.

Corporate entities run like theme parks.

Had a mate who was a big city fan all his days followed them everywhere ..after 3/4 years at the Etihad he chucked it .. atmosphere was piss poor compared to Maine rd.
Now follows non league team in his area ..along a load of his city mates from following them in the 80/90s
Totally agree with you and Liverpool .. nightmare getting briefs

Got talking to a few lads at a match a few year back like that who now just go watching Hyde for same reasons.

"Relatively unknown"

Wow.

Shakhtar, Dinamo Zagreb and Atalanta. Any self respecting football fan knows all about these sides.

A pathetic tin pot support. Never forget a City fan telling me he'd rather they won the league than the Champions League as "no one cares about it".

Won't be long until someone says they've got more fans in Manchester than Utd. That's my particular favourite.

If we shared the same city as Man United, we’d be outnumbered as well.

Some folk on here were actually defending them after they were playing fake crowd noise as well :D

Everything that is wrong with modern football, I feel sorry for the actual fans who supported them through thick and thin. Apparently their club has become a franchise with no soul.

My recollection is not that folk were 'defending 'anything. From memory, they were clarifying that the fake crowd noise was piped in during stadium tours rather than on match-days, as was being alleged.

FWIW, Liverpool - allegedly - do the same thing.

When they eventually win the CL no one else will give a shit.

With their money they should have already won it years ago. It's actually quite amusing that they've so far failed.

Football is changing. Goodness knows what it'll be like when my boys are adults. As unpalatable as it may be, City are utilising all marketing avenues.

I think it's a cautionary note to those who advocate chasing the EPL 'dream'. To do so, our Club would change and arguably not for the better. I've always thought we should be attempting to improve the Scottish game rather than depart to a manufactured North Atlantic League, for example. City kind of confirm that thought.

I don't think City really need to indulge in this nonsense. They've had a local and national solid fan base for a century or more. Its when they win the Champions League that the new fairweather City fan will emerge.

Is this really different from corporate sponsors and football clubs giving tickets to massive Youtubers who go the Champions League and World Cup etc?

Does it look embarrassing to most football fans, yes it does. Will it attract more fans who'll spend more money, problem yes.

You have people on this thread saying their kid wants to go down to see Man City even though they probably support Rangers, so their marketing is obviously working.

English football? %^*& that for game of Soldiers.
I know sky and the TV billions worldwide have allowed clubs to ignore fans but I can't help feel it's not a coincidence that, the sale of traditional stadiums by traditional clubs had killed the atmosphere

There was a thread the other day when a bear was arguing that the money being pumped into football had improved it dramatically and surely nobody could argue against it...

Man City. Case closed.

I do actually know 2 proper Citeh fans. Only two mind you!!

My 11yo is desperate to go down and see them for his birthday.
Last time I was there was Uefa CF.
Fabulous set up. He’ll have a ball. Have been a few times with my godson and he loves it. Back down Saturday and then in February. Brilliant match day experience

‘Hardcore’ city fans also finding it embarrassing and are against it judging by a wee look on their forum.

Man City have a core following similar to that of Hearts.

Man City will die when the Arabs get bored or ruled out of funding due to FFP.

Embarrassing,helps when people know a little bit about football!
Tav a couple of days ago, city today,wonder who will be the hated one on Friday?
A release needed for guite a few on here.

i find it quite amusing as the utd fans down here are laughing until its pointed out the majority of their fans are fucking tourists

Fabulous set up. He’ll have a ball. Have been a few times with my godson and he loves it. Back down Saturday and then in February. Brilliant match day experience
Any info regarding tickets, hotels, decent places to eat with kids?
Cheers.

Any info regarding tickets, hotels, decent places to eat with kids?
Cheers.
I joined the citizens scheme, £30 a season. Gets you priority on tickets after seasoncard holders and they send you scarf,badges etc which would probably cost you £20 . Holiday Inn Express at Salford Quays 3 nights with breakfast roughly £250 for family room. Tram from there straight to Etihad Campus

I joined the citizens scheme, £30 a season. Gets you priority on tickets after seasoncard holders and they send you scarf,badges etc which would probably cost you £20 . Holiday Inn Express at Salford Quays 3 nights with breakfast roughly £250 for family room. Tram from there straight to Etihad Campus

maybe missed something here but why would you need to stay 3 nights?

I don't see anything wrong with this. Much the same as Killie or Motherwell giving away free tickets to kids, or Bheast fc giving free tickets to season ticket holders. All the diddy teams do it.

Man city these days are just the picture postcard of everything wrong with the Sky/bt funded epl

Not how I would want my club to do things,and I hope we never do.
The important thing is that Manchester City fans don't seem to like it.
And I would imagine that this sort of media process will now be practiced by others,if they are not doing so already.

Man City have a core following similar to that of Hearts.

Man City will die when the Arabs get bored or ruled out of funding due to FFP.

What utter utter garbage.

Even in the third tier they were one of the best supported clubs in England

City have a great loyal support and they are loving lording it over the rest of English football and especially the Scousers and United and the spoilt brats from London.

Championees

What utter utter garbage.

Even in the third tier they were one of the best supported clubs in England

City have a great loyal support and they are loving lording it over the rest of English football and especially the Scousers and United and the spoilt brats from London.

Championees

I wouldn’t bother posting the facts. It’s because City are the ‘ Guvnors ‘ now, everybody craves fake news.

As an actual club these days,Citeh are a bit of a joke.

Playing fan noises during games,WTF.

That’s really is Souless.

The part where it says they have drawn 3 relatively unknown teams meaning it’s unlikely their core support will attend sticks out for me.

Are their support going more then to watch the opposition?? I couldn’t care if it was a Saturday morning pub team rangers were playing. I’m there to watch Rangers, not the oppostion.

No time for modern football at all

Back