Man City open a sensory room for children

dh1963

Administrator
Staff member
Official Ticketer
Manchester City are opening a new sensory room for families with children who find it hard to watch the match in the crowd and need a quiet space, joining a number of top English clubs in providing this facility.

Adele's son Alfie has Down's syndrome and they have tried out the new space twice. She told BBC Radio 5 Live, “it genuinely was one of the best days out we’ve had has a family”.

The room will officially open on 26 October.

Is this something we should think about if funds available?

Manchester City are opening a new sensory room for families with children who find it hard to watch the match in the crowd and need a quiet space, joining a number of top English clubs in providing this facility.

Adele's son Alfie has Down's syndrome and they have tried out the new space twice. She told BBC Radio 5 Live, “it genuinely was one of the best days out we’ve had has a family”.

The room will officially open on 26 October.

Is this something we should think about if funds available?

I'm sure we have had something like this installed already

It’s a very good thing but I’m sure some will find a way to use it to have a dig at their “soulless/plastic” club etc etc.

Reactions: TQ3
Sure it was opened around the time we managed to commission an advert which described Ibrox as dark and scary among other things.

I hope to fook a certain club from the other side of the city don't follow suit.

Can just see them the now taking down the disco lights and installing them in a padded room and attempting to get a used bubble machine from ebay.

Great move by City though a club that faced up to their skeletons.

Reactions: TQ3
My wee boy goes to our local sensory room twice a month and they are fantastic.

I had totally forgot the club had one, so when I’m back on Scotland for a visit I might actually be able to take him to his first game.

I hope to fook a certain club from the other side of the city don't follow suit.

Can just see them the now taking down the disco lights and installing them in a padded room and attempting to get a used bubble machine from ebay.

Great move by City though a club that faced up to their skeletons.

They opened theres in March this year. 2 years after us. It is to be applauded in aiding kids with autistic and sensory problems a place to watch the game. Rangers, Airdrie and the Tims have the only ones in Scotland - England has about 15.

Sunderland were the first to have one.

My wee boy goes to our local sensory room twice a month and they are fantastic.

I had totally forgot the club had one, so when I’m back on Scotland for a visit I might actually be able to take him to his first game.
Spaces are limited so you should phone the club to book a place for him.

This is the 4th season of the sensory room. The first time we went was when Aberdeen beat us at the end of 2016-17 (it had been open for 2 or 3 games before that).

Its a fantastic facility that the kids really benefit from. We have been several times in the last few years, the last time being the Legia Warsaw game.

To gain access to the room, you need to register with Rangers from a woman called Liz Kay. Her details are on the website. You need to provide information to join the list, but they will provide you with the details .

The kids get 2 or 3 opportunities to attend each season - my boy went three times last season. It costs £6 per child, and the carer gets in for free.

Sunderland were the first club to provide a sensory room when a guy called Peter Shippey and his wife were struggling to take their kid to the games, and they enquired about using an empty hospitality room in the stadium. From then it has gone from strength to strength, with about 15 in England and now 3 in Scotland. Airdrie set theirs up about 6 months before Rangers, and I was involved from theirs from the start as my son goes to an autistic group in Airdrie.

Yep opened one a couple of years back as others have already mentioned

We also through the Rangers charity Foundation have autism friendly football sessions for kids.All Rangers coaches ,all free and is a wonderful advert for our club.The kids even had a session taken by Feyenoord Foundation coaches when they were over to play us.There is also a wonderful Charity Team United working with Rangers and other clubs trying to set up a league for autistic kids.Anytime you see Rangers charity collections at Ibrox please if you’ve a few spare quid ,it would be going to a wonderful charity.This is only a fraction of what they do.Stuff like this makes me really proud of our club.

Checked with my son in law and tcbuzz is correct. Sunderland were first in the UK and Airdrie the first in Scotland with us shortly after. I asked him about Aberdeen and he said that they were granted the title "The first autism friendly club in Scotland" ?

Back