Man city trying facial recognition entry to the stadium

uneasydaz

The British are renowned for their ability to form neat, orderly queues. But the need for such patience might soon be history.
Manchester City, champions of the Premier League, are trying out technology by which fans will gain access to the stadium simply by showing their faces.
The team have hired Blink Identity, based in Texas, to deploy facial-recognition systems in a pilot scheme. To start with there will be a single super-fast lane for supporters at the 55,000-seat Etihad stadium.
A face scan will reveal whether the fan has a ticket. The lane is expected to operate a traffic light system: green for go, yellow for stop. There is no need for a turnstile.
Its designers say the technology is so speedy that fans could run past scanners at the rate of 50 per minute

To sign up, fans need to take a selfie on their mobile phone and register it.

Mary Haskett, Blink Identity’s co-founder and chief executive, said: “If you are standing in line, you’re not having fun or having a good time.”

Facial recognition would also help the venue commercially, she added. “A game only lasts so long, and your ability to sell food and beverages and T-shirts is limited to that time. So if you can get them in faster, it makes everybody happy.”

The system could end the practice of ticket-swapping and the use of season ticket hand-me-downs.

Other large events such as music festivals would benefit, said Haskett. “Any time people are waiting in line, we can make that go away.”

Manchester City’s Chester and District supporters’ club welcomed the move. “There are problems with queuing at the Etihad and sometimes you can even miss the start of the game,” a spokesman said.

Privacy campaigners will not be so sanguine. Big Brother Watch has warned of an “epidemic” of facial recognition use in shopping centres, museums and conference centres around the UK.

•Two police forces said by the Home Office to have agreed to help test facial recognition have denied doing so. West Midlands and Kent police are resisting the introduction of such systems, The Observer said.

Data is becoming one of the most value commodities (in fact I’m sure I read it was THE most valuable in 2018).
This is nothing to do with improving fan experience, more along the lines of gaining such data to sell to their partners.
I’m sure on a picture of a human being there are 5000 data points of value to be sold.

And yes I did watch the Great Hack :D

50 a minute with no turnstiles. How do you pull people without a ticket out of that.

If people miss kickoff because there are queues they should try engaging their brain and show up earlier.

“Season ticket hand me downs”? Im all for the club making money and if its going to mean an empty seat then the reselling scheme is a great idea however i have paid for my seat and if i cant make it i should reserve the right to give it to my son, friend etc.
Just send your son/friend one of those face masks with your mug printed on it.

“Season ticket hand me downs”? Im all for the club making money and if its going to mean an empty seat then the reselling scheme is a great idea however i have paid for my seat and if i cant make it i should reserve the right to give it to my son, friend etc.

You can’t reserve a right that you don’t have. Check the t’s and c’s, officially your not allowed to let anyone else use your ticket.

It gets harder to trust companies with the data they have at the moment never mind biometric data another game who else will have it and abuse it a concern and it doesn't work properly if you are black according to a report last month so its bloody racists as well (only kidding)

Jeezo. Can you imagine the turmoil at the Chamber of Secrets if they introduced it?

Facial recognition? :)

50 a minute with no turnstiles. How do you pull people without a ticket out of that.

If people miss kickoff because there are queues they should try engaging their brain and show up earlier.

Why bother having any technological improvement when you can just engage your brain and start earlier?

I did not know that! Oh well must be one of the very few entertainment events that you cant give your ticket to someone when you cant make it.

Every entertainment venue will have the same sort of rule in their t’s and c’s. Season passes for any event will be non transferable

This might be a stupid question but what if you took the selfie for the facial recognition and then several months down the line you grow a beard or grow your hair long would the system still recognise you

I did not know that! Oh well must be one of the very few entertainment events that you cant give your ticket to someone when you cant make it.
I think most ticketed events have a term and condition that's insistent on only the purchaser using the ticket.

Actually, pretty sure you could never transfer a ticket as part of your agreement when buying one

68 years going to Ibrox Good enough for you?
Impressive. Still doesn't change any of my previous points. If people are missing kickoff by say 2 minutes then they should probably be 5 minutes earlier than normal. I don't think they have to turn up at 2pm and go pissing the local landlord off.

This might be a stupid question but what if you took the selfie for the facial recognition and then several months down the line you grow a beard or grow your hair long would the system still recognise you
It doesn't matter as that's not how it works. It will be the same technology as passports use

The British are renowned for their ability to form neat, orderly queues. But the need for such patience might soon be history.
Manchester City, champions of the Premier League, are trying out technology by which fans will gain access to the stadium simply by showing their faces.
The team have hired Blink Identity, based in Texas, to deploy facial-recognition systems in a pilot scheme. To start with there will be a single super-fast lane for supporters at the 55,000-seat Etihad stadium.
A face scan will reveal whether the fan has a ticket. The lane is expected to operate a traffic light system: green for go, yellow for stop. There is no need for a turnstile.
Its designers say the technology is so speedy that fans could run past scanners at the rate of 50 per minute

To sign up, fans need to take a selfie on their mobile phone and register it.

Mary Haskett, Blink Identity’s co-founder and chief executive, said: “If you are standing in line, you’re not having fun or having a good time.”

Facial recognition would also help the venue commercially, she added. “A game only lasts so long, and your ability to sell food and beverages and T-shirts is limited to that time. So if you can get them in faster, it makes everybody happy.”

The system could end the practice of ticket-swapping and the use of season ticket hand-me-downs.

Other large events such as music festivals would benefit, said Haskett. “Any time people are waiting in line, we can make that go away.”

Manchester City’s Chester and District supporters’ club welcomed the move. “There are problems with queuing at the Etihad and sometimes you can even miss the start of the game,” a spokesman said.

Privacy campaigners will not be so sanguine. Big Brother Watch has warned of an “epidemic” of facial recognition use in shopping centres, museums and conference centres around the UK.

•Two police forces said by the Home Office to have agreed to help test facial recognition have denied doing so. West Midlands and Kent police are resisting the introduction of such systems, The Observer said.
Imagine that at parkhead 50 thousand supporters

And only 50 thousand eyebrows

Data is becoming one of the most value commodities (in fact I’m sure I read it was THE most valuable in 2018).
This is nothing to do with improving fan experience, more along the lines of gaining such data to sell to their partners.
I’m sure on a picture of a human being there are 5000 data points of value to be sold.

And yes I did watch the Great Hack :D
getting something like this installed in Ibrox would be really costly, difficult too

Big problem if they used that system at parkheid.
Just how many Clausimodo lookalikes can it differentiate from?

Let's get card payments at the kiosks first and finally reach the 21st century

Impressive. Still doesn't change any of my previous points. If people are missing kickoff by say 2 minutes then they should probably be 5 minutes earlier than normal. I don't think they have to turn up at 2pm and go pissing the local landlord off.
To be honest,I don't think there was a great problem with the old system.
The same will happen with the new scanners once people get used to them.

It would be easy enough for you to transfer the ticket to another fan. If they wanted to.

Back