Man City v Spurs not sold out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another reason for wanting Liverpool to win the league. I feel for the genuine hard core city fans. They have been robbed of their real club
I don't know, were they more of a real club when they were struggling in the old Third Division with an ageing stadium? I'd say same club, just different circumstances at different points in their history.

The hardcore fans are most likely enjoying the current success knowing that they will still be there long after the current owners are not.

For such a small 'tinpot' club City seem to have stumbled upon the record English attendance for an English club at their own stadium. They were supposedly the bigger club in Manchester before the dawn of the Busby era at Old Trafford in the mid 50s and whilst never an all-conquering dynasty club they have always been amongst the biggest clubs in England - definitely around the top 10

Liverpool before Shankly were also probably seen as somewhat of a joke club living on past glories and making a general tit of things whilst being overshadowed by their more illustrious and popular neighbours. Ditto United before Busby.

Every successful dynasty has to start somewhere and City struck oil literally in 2008

I'm with you on this one mate, but it must be said that they do attract a lot of tourists.
Was down at the Liverpool game in early Jan this season and this was definitely the case. Loads of Americans, Arabs, East Asians stoating around gormlessly taking selfies and buying tat out the superstore. Scandinavian and German Liverpool fans dotted around the home section also and being allowed to cheer on Liverpool unmolested.

I guess that's exactly the type of fan the big EPL clubs want to attract tho.

All a far cry from Maine Rd and the Moss Side where the only safe place to park was in one of the secure school car parks nearby

I don't know, were they more of a real club when they were struggling in the old Third Division with an ageing stadium? I'd say same club, just different circumstances at different points in their history.

The hardcore fans are most likely enjoying the current success knowing that they will still be there long after the current owners are not.
I used to go down to Maine road now and again for games, it had a real feel of a traditional English ground with hardcore support. Since all the money came in I've kinda lost interest in going down and haven't even been to the Etihad, it just doesn't hold the same appeal to me like it did before. So while there are definitely a few glory hunters and tourists latched on, I wonder if there are more guys like myself who feel a bit disassociated with the club now?

Was down at the Liverpool game in early Jan this season and this was definitely the case. Loads of Americans, Arabs, East Asians stoating around gormlessly taking selfies and buying tat out the superstore. Scandinavian and German Liverpool fans dotted around the home section also and being allowed to cheer on Liverpool unmolested.

I guess that's exactly the type of fan the big EPL clubs want to attract tho.

All a far cry from Maine Rd and the Moss Side where the only safe place to park was in one of the secure school car parks nearby
See my last post mate, I know exactly what you mean.

The fact they are struggling to sell out in the CL quarter finals when they arguably got the best ever team in the premiership era and their very average history before the money

I still don’t understand how it’s average?

They are averaging nearly 50,000 folk this season, because they don’t have 60 - 70 thousand fans surely that doesn’t make them average?

They had a loyal fan base of 35,000 plus when they were in the lower leagues, they had won titles and cups and a European trophy before the oil money rolled in.

Everything about them is the complete opposite of ‘average’

What a poor turnout. ,not a proper football club. Hope Spurs beat them . Still go back to Champions League when Bayern Leverkusen handed ticket back for the final at Hampden . Just not real

I used to go down to Maine road now and again for games, it had a real feel of a traditional English ground with hardcore support. Since all the money came in I've kinda lost interest in going down and haven't even been to the Etihad, it just doesn't hold the same appeal to me like it did before. So while there are definitely a few glory hunters and tourists latched on, I wonder if there are more guys like myself who feel a bit disassociated with the club now?
I get that.

I feel the same about West Ham since they moved to the Olympic Stadium.

But if we were ever to move from Ibrox, get billionaire owners and attract 'tourist fans' it wouldn't be the same but we'd still be hardcore Bears at the end of the day.

They are averaging nearly 50,000 folk this season, because they don’t have 60 - 70 thousand fans surely that doesn’t make them average?

They had a loyal fan base of 35,000 plus when they were in the lower leagues, they had won titles and cups and a European trophy before the oil money rolled in.

Maybe I'm being harsh they're fan base is essentially local which is fine

To me, they’re smaller in every way than Rangers.
They are, but you still don't get it do you?
They still aren't a small club, that's different from not being a big club, jeez you must have been hard to teach at school mate.
There are more than just the 2 sizes, big and small.

What a poor turnout. ,not a proper football club. Hope Spurs beat them . Still go back to Champions League when Bayern Leverkusen handed ticket back for the final at Hampden . Just not real
What makes Spurs more of a 'proper' football club than them in your opinion?
Not a proper club is absolute nonsense btw.

If you can't sell out a 50k seater for a champs league quarter final against a 'local' rival, then you're not a big club.

Shite from Citeh.
If they had a 50k stadium it would be sold out already, sure I read they had 1k tickets left and the stadium holds just 3 off 56k.

Crazy talk. 30,000-40,000 folk used to fill Main road in the third teir.

We all feel sorry for Leeds, Coventry etc.
Nearly losing their club.
What aout folk who had their club taken away from the area they lived in and got priced out?

Tinpot?
Can’t they buy one of the tickets free for tomorrow night. There are ample games a season that don’t sell out, so it’s not like they can’t go.

Re Maine Road, it only held 35-36k by then. Average crowd was 28k.

Last edited:

This site is a proper statto den of football geeks and stumbled across it when searching for average attendance to debunk this ‘average’ and ‘tinpot’ idea that some posters ridiculously have of City on here.

Going by the figures on here City - the tinpot joke club who don’t deserve the status of being a ‘big club’ - have spent most of the time occupying the top 3 or 4 spots in terms of average seasonal attendance throughout their - and by association English league football - history.

http://european-football-statistics.co.uk/attnclub/league/manc.htm

Not bad for a team who continually contrived to be as shit and underwhelming as possible despite their strong backing. Of course overshadowed by the rags across the city but then in we’re being honest who in english football aren’t dwarfed by the success and support of Utd? No one can hold a candle to them and City had to endure more than most sharing the same city with them

This site is a proper statto den of football geeks and stumbled across it when searching for average attendance to debunk this ‘average’ and ‘tinpot’ idea that some posters ridiculously have of City on here.

Going by the figures on here City - the tinpot joke club who don’t deserve the status of being a ‘big club’ - have spent most of the time occupying the top 3 or 4 spots in terms of average seasonal attendance throughout their - and by association English league football - history.

Not bad for a team who continually contrived to be as shit and underwhelming as possible despite their strong backing. Of course overshadowed by the rags across the city but then in we’re being honest who in english football aren’t dwarfed by the success and support of Utd? No one can hold a candle to them and City had to endure more than most sharing the same city with them
City and Spurs are on the same tier for me - big, historic clubs but not on the same level of the three huge English clubs: Arsenal, Manchester United and Liverpool.

I detest what they have become, but I doubt any City fan would lose sleep over that opinion.

They still aren't a small club, that's different from not being a big club, jeez you must have been hard to teach at school mate.
You’re being a wee bit sanctimonious here.
It isn’t wise to criticise the intelligence of somebody you don’t know and I won’t be taking any lessons from you, thanks very much.
Let me put it this way.
In every way other than financial, Rangers are a massive football club.
An institution.
Manchester City are, by comparison, minuscule.
As indeed are Chelsea and a host of other football clubs who have managed a Champions Cup or Champions League win or who earn millions from television broadcasters, almost exclusively because they are based in a highly populated country and can pay multi million pounds for and to players and, not unusually, have eight and nine figure debts.
Does this explain my thinking?

City and Spurs are on the same tier for me - big, historic clubs but not on the same level of the three huge English clubs: Arsenal, Manchester United and Liverpool.

I detest what they have become, but I doubt any City fan would lose sleep over that opinion.
I don’t feel the same attachment to them as I did growing up in the 90s and having them as my English team - doesn’t feel ‘my team’ anymore and I began to feel that long before the Arab money rolled in with the oasis (and kappa fs) effect of folk supporting City just to be seen as cool and edgy. The last decade has exacerbated this and I said earlier the match day experience for the game I was at against Liverpool was a world away from what it used to be and despite the quality on show have to say that nostalgia has a strong case in what ‘City’ i prefer the most. Don’t like this idea of folk latching onto something after the hard work and heartache has been endured by the hardcore only for bandwagon jumpers to mill the success

I’d been a fan before that and have continued to this day. Not as passionate or worked up about them as I was a teenager - when they really were shit and my dad and I made trips down to Maine Rd to see them in various states of disarray in the 2nd and 3rd tier and then on the way back up again - but still 2nd only to Rangers for me. Hence why I am sticking up for them in this thread :))

They call City the ‘bitters’ ... well there’s bitterness oozing out of the anti-city brigade on this thread!

T

They were an irrelevance before the oil money, a yo-yo club bouncing up and down the leagues.

apart from the obscene amounts of money handed to them they really are no bigger or better than a birmingham or a derby county for example. imagine the arabs had took a shne to us? they would have found a real club with real history and tradition.can't wait for the whole thing to crash down. which eventually it will.

Manchester City are no bigger than Birmingham or Derby ? seriously ? When did any of those clubs have average gates of 40,000 let alone over 50,000 ?
This is why the filth are trampling us into the ground on every level. So many of us haven’t a clue.

They may be, at some level, but they’re not in the top division of clubs.
Or, maybe you didn’t see/didn’t read/didn’t understand/chose to ignore, the line I, very cleverly, copied and paste, and emboldened, from the post you seem to me to be apoplectic about.

T

They were an irrelevance before the oil money, a yo-yo club bouncing up and down the leagues.
A club that have had bigger attendances ever than Liverpool. A club that were once the best supported club in England. A club that won a European trophy before Liverpool ever did. A club that won the FA cup before Liverpool ever did.
Anything else you want to bring up ?

T

Yo-yo club or not, they were still - and are - one of England’s biggest. Bigger attendances than the London clubs outwith Arsenal and had enjoyed periods of real success and two cult teams / managers bookending the 70s let alone their attendance records of the 1930s and ex-Wehrmacht paratrooper inspired team of the 1950s

It’s churlish to suggest otherwise. Only Utd, Liverpool and Arsenal are on a different level to City and that gap is closing year on year

Never had much liking for Manchester City I now loathe them in an irrational way though.

An average sized, yet very wealthy and successful club, in the wrong city for the EPL tourists. Similar to Chelsea, yet they have a more appealing location.

Yo-yo club or not, they were still - and are - one of England’s biggest. Bigger attendances than the London clubs outwith Arsenal and had enjoyed periods of real success and two cult teams / managers bookending the 70s let alone their attendance records of the 1930s and ex-Wehrmacht paratrooper inspired team of the 1950s

It’s churlish to suggest otherwise. Only Utd, Liverpool and Arsenal are on a different level to City and that gap is closing year on year
There is no gap closing. City are a million miles away from Liverpool and Man Utd. They are a small time outfit that hit the jackpot with a free(ish) stadium and despicable owners that should never have been allowed into the game. Buying a few titles by cheating financially changes nothing.

There is no gap closing. City are a million miles away from Liverpool and Man Utd. They are a small time outfit that hit the jackpot with a free(ish) stadium and despicable owners that should never have been allowed into the game. Buying a few titles by cheating financially changes nothing.

You are Phil 3 Names. My god, it’s uncanny. Thank you for all the comedy you provide on these threads. And we don’t have to pay one single penny for it.

We’ll see, a possible 4th league title win this decade whilst Liverpool try and get a first since 1990 would suggest that the gap is closed and in fact it’s Liverpool who are behind. Support wise it’s a different story but Liverpool’s fan base has always been nationwide since the 60s and is nauseatingly worldwide nowadays. City are on the same trajectory in the 21st century and with the folk involved in things like marketing and media at the club will continue to grow - whilst you might it find it soulless it’s how Liverpool, Utd, Chelsea, Barca and the rest hunt fans and sponsorship around the world and it’s here to stay.

Not to mention City’s academy system which is streets ahead of even Utd and will see a new generation of local players - and fans - go blue over red.

The ‘despicable owners’ slur is a bit weak as well. Can you honestly say any of the big 5/6 EPL owners are clean, transparent and in it for the right reasons? The Glazers ... Abramovich ... Kroenke and your Boston mentally challengeds haha. None of them are whiter than white. Just City’s have the deepest pockets ;)

And if they do sell the remaining 1k?

The point i'm making is they're struggling over the line (if they even get over the line at all) in a match that should have been sold out instantaneously.

From what i'm told it's very easy to get a ticket to a city game. Which, when context is considered, tells you all you need to know.

We’ll see, a possible 4th league title win this decade whilst Liverpool try and get a first since 1990 would suggest that the gap is closed and in fact it’s Liverpool who are behind. Support wise it’s a different story but Liverpool’s fan base has always been nationwide since the 60s and is nauseatingly worldwide nowadays. City are on the same trajectory in the 21st century and with the folk involved in things like marketing and media at the club will continue to grow - whilst you might it find it soulless it’s how Liverpool, Utd, Chelsea, Barca and the rest hunt fans and sponsorship around the world and it’s here to stay.

Not to mention City’s academy system which is streets ahead of even Utd and will see a new generation of local players - and fans - go blue over red.

The ‘despicable owners’ slur is a bit weak as well. Can you honestly say any of the big 5/6 EPL owners are clean, transparent and in it for the right reasons? The Glazers ... Abramovich ... Kroenke and your Boston mentally challengeds haha. None of them are whiter than white. Just City’s have the deepest pockets ;)

Spare me the trajectory pish. city will never be Liverpool. They just don’t have it in them. No-one likes them, they are plastic shite, no matter how many titles they buy and how many pish films they put out to try and sell the image that the UAE are the good guys.

Nah the rest aren’t responsible for human rights abuses on a massive scale (well maybe Abramovich?). Just ask Sheikh Mohammed’s daughter what the UAE is like.

Spare me the trajectory pish. city will never be Liverpool. They just don’t have it in them. No-one likes them, they are plastic shite, no matter how many titles they buy and how many pish films they put out to try and sell the image that the UAE are the good guys.

Nah the rest aren’t responsible for human rights abuses on a massive scale (well maybe Abramovich?). Just ask Sheikh Mohammed’s daughter what the UAE is like.

Very true, but Liverpool will never be United ;)

You’re being a wee bit sanctimonious here.
It isn’t wise to criticise the intelligence of somebody you don’t know and I won’t be taking any lessons from you, thanks very much.
Let me put it this way.
In every way other than financial, Rangers are a massive football club.
An institution.
Manchester City are, by comparison, minuscule.
As indeed are Chelsea and a host of other football clubs who have managed a Champions Cup or Champions League win or who earn millions from television broadcasters, almost exclusively because they are based in a highly populated country and can pay multi million pounds for and to players and, not unusually, have eight and nine figure debts.
Does this explain my thinking?
No it doesn't, you said City and Chelsea were small clubs which is stupid because they clearly aren't small clubs.
I tried to explain this to you last week and you clearly couldn't understand the difference between sizes, there are so many tiers of football in England and City have by and large been in the top tier. A small club is a club who bounces around the lower echelons of the game down there.
Then you somewhat changed the narrative to what was said at the time to suit yourself, so pardon me for appearing sanctimonious but if you are going to adopt that strategy then you deserve the contempt I have shown.

Jesus fk :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back