Man City youngster commits suicide.

Absolutely tragic. We lose too many - especially young men - to suicide.

There is support available. It is preventable.

Jesus. Got to wonder what services are available to the players as they leave the club. From my own experience in pro sport environment, young athletes shouldn’t just be released without support.

Jesus. Got to wonder what services are available to the players as they leave the club. From my own experience in pro sport environment, young athletes shouldn’t just be released without support.
Absolutely, Liverpool (I think) employee people to deal specifically with young players released in helping them find new clubs and cope mentally.

In all honesty you would imagine it would be common practice in modern football that clubs employ people in such areas.

Absolutely, Liverpool (I think) employee people to deal specifically with young players released in helping them find new clubs and cope mentally.

In all honesty you would imagine it would be common practice in modern football that clubs employ people in such areas.
I'd be very surprised if they didn't have a system in place. How effective it is or if it needs improved could be up for debate now.

To get to the age of 17 at a club like Man City you gotta have something about you and to be surrounded by stars at the top of the game he'll have been utterly devastated to have lost that opportunity. The money, the fame, the dream of playing professional football at City snatched away.

Akin to you and I knowing we'd won the lottery but being unable to find our ticket and camelot refusing to pay out. Difference being of course that he could possibly still have made it if he had made made the right choices but depression is a bastard.

RIP

Terrible to read, thoughts with his family. Can't begin to imagine how they're going to cope with this.
Clubs need to take into account that for every player who makes it there are many more who have their hopes and dreams destroyed by rejection and something put in place to help lessen the blow. I don't know the answer but it really needs addressed.

17 is no age. Bad enough if it was physical illness or an accident but for someone to get so desperate as to want to end it themselves is an utter tragedy.

When we were in our 30's I had a mate who was a laugh a minute and then his squeeze dumped him. He did himself in. You never know what is going on in someones mind.

R.I.P.

So do we, think Gerrard brought it in tbh

So do we, think Gerrard brought it in tbh
I imagine city do also by the way, my post wasn’t meant to be a dig at them in case that’s what it looked like.

I genuinely imagine most clubs will have people who do that sort of stuff and hopefully it can help kids who are struggling so such tragic instances like this one don’t occur.

Far to little than what is required.
The amount of suicides amongst men tells us that imo.

I agree. I didn't mean to suggest enough is being done. Mental health is still underfunded.

But there is support available from the likes of the Samaritans. If more people knew about it we may see fewer deaths by suicide.

17, ffs, that's awful, no age at all, scares the shit out of me, having kids and what's going through their heads, I always, always talk to my son, but shit. 17 :(

Very very sad news of a young man taking his own life when it had only just begun, I feel for his friends and family at this tragic time. RIP young man.

I feel for all his family and friends. At 17 he would have had the world at his feet and could have gone on and played with even bigger clubs.
I hope that the footballing world takes note and helps youngsters cope better because depression and rejection at that age probably isn't even a subject that is touched upon.
Sleep tight lad.

So sad. Be good idea to get pros at the top of the game to talk to these young guys n let them know how they turned things around after being released cos many of them have been released at some point in their career

Very tragic for the boy and his family. He had his whole life in front of him. The professional football world is a really pressurised competitive environment. This tragedy will prompt clubs to improve further this side of care for their youngsters.

Back