Man City's disallowed goal

instructor

Has anyone got a decent video of the handball incident to upload?
I missed MOTD, I had a look on the internet and saw a clip but I cannot see the handball at all.
Does anyone have an opinion on this incident?

One of those that it’s in the grey area in the middle where you can’t really argue against whichever way the ref goes in my opinion. May well have hit the arm but wouldn’t say the footage was 100% definitive.

Given the rule is now that you can’t score if it hits the arm even where it isn’t deliberate so wouldn’t usually be a foul I can see why he disallowed it.

One of those that it’s in the grey area in the middle where you can’t really argue against whichever way the ref goes in my opinion. May well have hit the arm but wouldn’t say the footage was 100% definitive.

Given the rule is now that you can’t score if it hits the arm even where it isn’t deliberate so wouldn’t usually be a foul I can see why he disallowed it.
So you can't score or assist if it hits your arm rule then. I'll look at it in MOTD repeat tomorrow AM, thanks for all responses.

I missed MOTD, I had a look on the internet and saw a clip but I cannot see the handball at all.
Hand ball. Jesus trapped it between his thigh, bicep and ribs.

He controlled it with his arm, really don’t see there’s any argument.

0_jesus-var-handball.png

I get fed up with defenders more worried about tucking their arms in than defending a situation, why don't they go back to the old rule of letting the ref decide if it was deliberate handball? I think VAR is all to do with pleasing the TV viewers.

100% penalty mate as his arm was away from his body and the ball hit it, if years gone by it would be as you say a 60/40 but could defend it not being given, not now

100% penalty mate as his arm was away from his body and the ball hit it, if years gone by it would be as you say a 60/40 but could defend it not being given, not now
Except it was the attacking player handling the ball.....

I think the VAR/Ref review was correct in disallowing the goal as he’s used his arm to assist in controlling the ball.

It’s a hand ball all day long.

Except it was the attacking player handling the ball.....

I think the VAR/Ref review was correct in disallowing the goal as he’s used his arm to assist in controlling the ball.
Sorry mate been long day I was thinking about the pen in the other game.

Won 290 today lifted 270 will play with 2 tomorrow. Fancy us and Everton to win by 2 or more.
Good luck mate. Everton have been off the boil of late and when I used to play the betting game, I’d tend to stay away from ourselves and early kick offs

Good luck mate. Everton have been off the boil of late and when I used to play the betting game, I’d tend to stay away from ourselves and early kick offs
Cheers mate you fill me with confidence. Must be a rare laugh at parties.

Cheers mate you fill me with confidence. Must be a rare laugh at parties.
Sorry bud. You’re talking to an ex-gambler. To win £290 today means you’ve had other coupons on (some you have won but there will be others that you lost) as those 2 only take you to £130.

Sorry to be negative but be careful.

Last edited:
Some on here need their eyes tested its a hand ball all day long, granted in real time ita difficult to see but with VAR there's no argument.

I get fed up with defenders more worried about tucking their arms in than defending a situation, why don't they go back to the old rule of letting the ref decide if it was deliberate handball? I think VAR is all to do with pleasing the TV viewers.

I agree. Look at the celtic penalty yesterday, guys arm were natural, ball bouncing about and it hit the hand

Aye no arguments definitely handball. Was a nice finish from laporte though.

I don't know about city this season they had a lot of possession but overall spurs seemed comfortable defence wise it reminded me of us against teams last season when we struggled to break them down

I don't think it touches his arm
He seems to trap in on his chest, I suppose the VAR are saying that it may have touched his arm slightly near his chest? Certainly not a clear and obvious error by the official on the park so I'm surprised the decision was reversed.

Trapped the ball using upper part of his arm. Happened very quickly so can see why it's disputed, but seemed pretty clear when slowed down. Can't argue it was accidental as he was clearly trying to use chest to control the ball and misjudged it.

It is most definitely not a clear handball at all. If that was us being denied a goal like that, there would quite rightly be uproar on here.

At the time I thought handball , nothing I’ve seen makes me think differently, I’m more worried about dominating them again and still no points or goals. Think we should have bought in a top class striker and make Jesus third pick up top.

At the time I thought handball , nothing I’ve seen makes me think differently, I’m more worried about dominating them again and still no points or goals. Think we should have bought in a top class striker and make Jesus third pick up top.
City are too vulnerable to the counter attack though, I think this is a bigger problem.

Aye no arguments definitely handball. Was a nice finish from laporte though.

I don't know about city this season they had a lot of possession but overall spurs seemed comfortable defence wise it reminded me of us against teams last season when we struggled to break them down

Spurs didn’t really have to play well to win. They were up against a side who have no bite without Aguero (Jesus isn’t up to it, at one point KDB gave him a great chance and he never even got a shot away), and who are weak at the back. Basically they’re great at knocking the ball around but not great at sticking it in the net or keeping it out at the other end. Ederson completely sold both goals in my opinion, if he stays on his line it takes two great finishes to beat him but he made it easy for Son and Lo Celso.

Spurs didn’t really have to play well to win. They were up against a side who have no bite without Aguero (Jesus isn’t up to it, at one point KDB gave him a great chance and he never even got a shot away), and who are weak at the back. Basically they’re great at knocking the ball around but not great at sticking it in the net or keeping it out at the other end. Ederson completely sold both goals in my opinion, if he stays on his line it takes two great finishes to beat him but he made it easy for Son and Lo Celso.
There was also the kane disallowed goal spurs ripped them open in the space of 2 or 3 passes.

Not a fan of VAR but certainly looked like the arm helped him control the ball on the angle the referee watched. I was surprised he had to watch it three times to be honest.

110% a hand ball and rightly not given as a goal.

Jesus is bang average and why Man City dont have a better back up is Pep’s major failing.

I’m no fan of VAR but they have a better system than googling a picture, best I could do.

he traps the ball with a combination of his arm thigh and body, clear as day
I didn't think it was clear as day from what I seen.
It was pretty "obvious" it hit his arm without being clear it did.
With the combination of thigh and abdomen. It's only maybe 80-90% that it did hit his arm from the replay I seen.
I'm sure var and the ref had a better close up that showed it beyond doubt.

Anyway, I've an appointment tomorrow at Specsavers. Should have gone Friday...

110% a hand ball and rightly not given as a goal.

Jesus is bang average and why Man City dont have a better back up is Pep’s major failing.

Did Pep not say they couldn’t afford to buy back up for him and Kun? Hilarious

Back