Man For Man We Are The Better Team But need to win the games against the lesser teams

cav

This is true Cav. Strikers hitting the net regularly and starting soon would bump my confidence in us winning the title this season right up though.
Absolutely mate I'm maybe being a tad hypocritical here as I've been saying how pleased I am that the goals are getting shared about,but every championship winning team in our league has a successful striker in it as far as I can remember.
Roofe and Itten fit would certainly give me more confidence we can sustain our good form over the whole season this year.

Massively takes pressure off Alfie and even Tav tbh at times.

Braeside58

One thing that I took from today was that our starting 11 didn't include any of our summer signings, so we can only improve more once Roofe is fit and Zungu is integrated with our squad and Itten is fully fit. Hagi would've been disappointed that he didn't play today, so our squad is looking very strong.

WATP

I’ve a gut feeling Aberdeen are going to do them next week.... their air of invisibility is gone and the other teams know this now!!!

prenzlauerbear

I’ve a gut feeling Aberdeen are going to do them next week.... their air of invisibility is gone and the other teams know this now!!!

We've all had a few tonight, but come on mate.

Aberdeen are petrified against them for some reason. Only reason for hope is they now have McCrorie who gave their midfield a bit of a seeing to in his last Old Firm game for us.

Danger Zone

Just the tip...
It’s important to stay grounded. We were excellent in the first half of last season and we had all the discussions about how we were better etc.

The real acid test comes at after new year and at the business end, if we can start putting the dross away at that point then I’ll start believing. For now it’s all looking good, but we’re really where we were at this point last time.

erskine bear

It’s important to stay grounded. We were excellent in the first half of last season and we had all the discussions about how we were better etc.

The real acid test comes at after new year and at the business end, if we can start putting the dross away at that point then I’ll start believing. For now it’s all looking good, but we’re really where we were at this point last time.

Our contrasting nature always makes me laugh, I’m optimistic and anticipate victory, you’ve seen numerous title wins and are hugely cautious :))

Today was an awful game so of course we remain cautious, but we’ve got the SQUAD to do it.

Robbie Hepburn

......We need to win the games against the lesser teams

We are the best footballing team in the league and man for man we also are the best footballing team in the league.

We need to prove we can match other teams for commitment

If we do, then we are winning this league.
This is why the gap between us was never as big as made out because there is a big difference in quality between us and the rest, it's just about consistency

Robbie Hepburn

Exactly mate. We won't know if we are real contenders till after new year after the last couple of years. Hopefully no winter break helps

Danger Zone

Just the tip...
Our contrasting nature always makes me laugh, I’m optimistic and anticipate victory, you’ve seen numerous title wins and are hugely cautious :))

Today was an awful game so of course we remain cautious, but we’ve got the SQUAD to do it.

i just can’t get ahead of myself after the least two seasons. When you’ve twice seen us stay with them till Christmas (complete with December victories and all the “we’re Gonnae win the title”bravado) only for us to twice fall apart, it’s hard not to feel like I have to see the team pass that new year point before I can start to let go of that feeling of apprehension.

Last edited:

tottie beck

;)

erskine bear

i just can’t get ahead of myself after the least two seasons. When you’ve seen twice us stay with them till Christmas (complete with December victories and all the “we’re Gonnae win the title”bravado) only for us to twice fall apart, it’s hard not to feel like I have to see the team pass that new year point before I can start to let go of that feeling of apprehension.
True DZ, the real test is the next few weeks. I can’t agree with the “we might win the league” approach. My optimism and personal arrogance suggests we will win the league.

I’ve been saying that since I was 15 though :))

Mearns Ranger

Official Ticketer
I’m really hoping we are now in the moment where we get to build a lead and see how they cope with it.
Next week could be every bit as crucial as this week. If Aberdeen can take points off them and we go 6-7 points clear it really ups the ante.
We then go to Killie which is our toughest test in the next round of matches.
I expect that to be the only match we should view as a potential banana skin in the next 10 before we face them again.
We need to build momentum and in turn exert some serious pressure on them.
I just hope they keep Lennon long enough for us to get that lead as well!

Kurt Russell

I agree with the OP. Our biggest threat, tarrier players being banned or not, is dropping points against the 'diddy' teams. Teams such as Livingstone who we have consistently dropped points to. This has tp stop.

Great result today, and I don't want to sound too negative, but if we want to win the league then we have to be consistent.

MearnsUnionist

Wasn’t involved in the previous discussion but on this point i think Edouard, Christie and McGregor would start for us (or at least be very close to starting).

In my opinion of course.

McGregor is the only one I'd take tbh.

Edouard hasn't had a great start to this season and has been benched a few times.

Christie is never getting in our team imo.

DylanGer

It's not factually incorrect though, both our keepers are far better than theirs,our full backs are well ahead of theirs, midfield overall we have more quality, front players maybe Edouard at a push but as a squad they are well behind us. Doesn't mean we're guaranteed anything over the course of the season though but I'd rather have our squad which is superior to theirs weighing everything up

Why would we not be guaranteed the league when you are effectively saying rather than arguably one case that every player we have is better?
If that were true the league would be a stick on.

Sct33

We are the best footballing team in the league and man for man we also are the best footballing team in the league.

I agree 100 percent. There definitely seems to have been a mentality shift this year with the players as though they actually believe that they are good enough to win trophies. Past few seasons, some of the players looked scared to make a mistake.

They seem to be braver on the ball and we are better for it. It might just be that they are more comfortable in the system that the manager wants them to play. Definitely more team spirit with a willingness to dig each other out.

The fact that the likes of Tav is getting largely praised and being openly spoken about as a Rangers captain and a leader amongst our fans/media shows that there has been a shift mentally with some of our fans/media too. He was always good for a negative thread on here. Not seen one for a while, long may it last.

Portrushbear

As sweet as yesterday was it was only 3 points.

The signs are good though, particularly our short pass and move game in and around the opposition box, we look like we could open up teams who have parked the bus a lot easier than even the start of the season

Leo_Ger

i just can’t get ahead of myself after the least two seasons. When you’ve twice seen us stay with them till Christmas (complete with December victories and all the “we’re Gonnae win the title”bravado) only for us to twice fall apart, it’s hard not to feel like I have to see the team pass that new year point before I can start to let go of that feeling of apprehension.

It's a long season and there's going to be twists and turns. There's still a lot for this Rangers team to prove especially at the business end of the season.

The only thing I now find slightly more promising than in the last few seasons, I felt bar two or three players outside the starting eleven we couldn't really rely on anyone to come in and offer the same level of performance.

Looking at our bench yesterday - we had McLaughlin, Bassey, Balogun, Jack, Hagi, Aribo, Jones, Itten, Defoe. 8 players out of 9 who have had played international football. Then outwith that you have players like Roofe and Katic not involved because of injury.

This is all on paper of course but I think we might have a squad more capable of navigating the full season than previously. I think some of those players could come in and we wouldn't see the same drop off in quality that we've seen in recent seasons.

Aww Skew

We’ve heard this all before, in fact there was probably similar threads after 2-1 Katic game in December last season

Football isn’t won on paper and as far as I’m concerned yesterday is just another match. I’ll accept the notion we’re a better team if, and when, we win the league, hopefully in May

There’s still question marks over our teams mentality at times against lesser teams, now is their opportunity to right some wrongs from last season and prove to everyone they’ve got the mentality to win the league

MearnsUnionist

How many times does the best team not win the league?

I agree.

There's more to being the best team than just pure footballing ability.

Quality squad depth is also required.

We now possess both of these, but more importantly, you must have the winning mentality that gets you through tough games against potentially weaker opposition.

We still have to prove we have that on a consistent basis.

If we can, then we are sorted.

Mview83

Official Ticketer
If this were true one would follow the other.....

It's not really how football works with squads, transfers, injuries etc etc....

Today was great we should enjoy it and get on with the next match when it happens....

In my opinion we've got very close to them.... claiming superiority man for man is a bit daft and factually incorrect.

The momentum of competition can change at this moment we are a boxer looking at an opponent on his arse it's what he does and what we do when he gets back up that matters....
We’re a better coached team by miles and it shows in games against them.

WATP

We've all had a few tonight, but come on mate.

Aberdeen are petrified against them for some reason. Only reason for hope is they now have McCrorie who gave their midfield a bit of a seeing to in his last Old Firm game for us.
Their back line will struggle with the lad Hedges and McCrorie and Ferguson will give their midfield a real tough time of it too.....btw I wasn’t on the sauce yesterday at all....I just have a feeling AC Milan and the sheep will both give them a really hard time and take pts from them.

Johansen

Why would we not be guaranteed the league when you are effectively saying rather than arguably one case that every player we have is better?
If that were true the league would be a stick on.
Obviously football doesn't happen like that but overall we have a stronger squad

BlueHaze

The man for man comparisons are all about personal opinions but an absolute fact is they have a disadvantage millstone around their neck by the name of Lennon.

The Meik's Crombie

Obviously Standard Liege game first but the Livingston and Kilmarnock games are vital for us. Need to keep the pressure upon them.

insanicdrunk

The thing that is pleasing me is I honestly don’t think we’ve been great this season yet apart from in Europe

Still a few more gears to go up I think which certainly gives me optimism
Was just going to post this, we played better football last year. This year we have been about doing the job. Not saying there hasn't been flashes of really nice football. We have been about gettin the cleansheets and points.

change consent