Man United fans get advice about expected problems with Barcelona stewards

mdingwall

Administrator
Can't trust the polis over there never mind the stewards!

https://www.imust.org.uk/Blog/Entry/safety-advice-for-supporters-in-barcelona

Safety Advice for Supporters in Barcelona
Safety Advice for Supporters in Barcelona

Following the accusations of improper conduct and alleged unprovoked attacks on fans of other English clubs by Barcelona stewards, M.U.S.T has worked with the Club to try and ensure our fans have a better experience. Recent communication and planning helped ensure our trips to cities such as Seville, Paris and Turin - where other English fans had been subjected to bad treatment - passed more favourably.

M.U.S.T gathered information from other English supporter groups as well as other European fan groups through the FSE. These were passed to United in advance of their visit to Barcelona and have resulted in better planning. Outcomes include 25 search lanes for our fans instead of the usual 5. These will be monitored by increased numbers of observers from United, the FA and Uefa. Similarly United are sending out a much larger staff contingent to handle the ticket collection too, given the larger than normal away end.

However, we would still encourage supporters to arrive earlier than you may usually do, given the numerous stories of problems accessing the stadium and several instances where Barcelona appear to have changed the agreed plans and access routes on the day.

We are also conscious that the large away allocation may mean that some travelling supporters may not have previous experience of policing and security that is very different from away matches in England. Please look out for your fellow supporters and help each other.

And enjoy the day, the match ……… and the victory!

About time Spanish police get a taste of their own medicine. I always feel sorry for normal fans of British clubs who travel because you just know they have a high possibility of being beaten up by some thug with a uniform.

When we played them at the nou camp one of there stewards was trying his very best to throw my mate down a flight of stairs all because we couldn't find our seats, lucky he managed to grab a hold of the railings at the side to stop him from taking a serious tumble.

When we played them at the nou camp one of there stewards was trying his very best to throw my mate down a flight of stairs all because we couldn't find our seats, lucky he managed to grab a hold of the railings at the side to stop him from taking a serious tumble.
It must be in their DNA mate,same thing happened to me in 1972.

My Dad and I had tickets in hospitality in 2007. (travelled without tickets and was the only tickets we could source).

Still kept us pinned up against a gate/fence until less than an hour before kick-off.

I hate to think how the official travelling Bears were treated that night.

sure the very thing happened to a well known poster on here broke his leg sure i have seen him post the story

Chelsea treated shamefully last year.

It wouldn't surprise me if visiting Spaniards eventually start being targetted by English fans when in England for games.

Good on the United fans for releasing this and having FA and UEFA observers present.
If this shìt went on in Turkey or Greece the clubs would be getting hammered for it.

sure the very thing happened to a well known poster on here broke his leg sure i have seen him post the story

Yes it did mate, Ipswichloyal or something? Sure that was the Spanish police who threw him down. Absolute scum anyway treating fans like that.

Spanish cops = cünts.

It’s almost a job requirement to hate British people.

I’ve seen rowdy crowds and football fans and relaxed, quiet fans treated with the same level of aggression. Animal bastards.

Most Europeans hate the British mate

True but I’ve yet to see anything in Italy or Germany that comes close to the behaviour of Spanish plod.

Saying that I’ve never been to France and had a few pals at “that” game against PSG who would probably have a different opinion.

Spanish polis all seem to suffer from small man syndrome and various other inferiority complexes. Would love to see them get battered to be perfectly honest.
Deciding what European away trip to make, Villarreal was ruled out immediately due to the game there before.
It says alot that we considered Russia before Spain.

True but I’ve yet to see anything in Italy or Germany that comes close to the behaviour of Spanish plod.

Saying that I’ve never been to France and had a few pals at “that” game against PSG who would probably have a different opinion.
I agree mate

My Dad and I had tickets in hospitality in 2007. (travelled without tickets and was the only tickets we could source).

Still kept us pinned up against a gate/fence until less than an hour before kick-off.

I hate to think how the official travelling Bears were treated that night.
We were in the away section right up in the highest point in the stadium
Never saw anything untoward that night apart from an intimidating double line of riot police when we exited after the game. I also didn't see any police intervention the previous night on the square when there was some serious drinking done by the assembled bears.

Chelsea treated shamefully last year.

It wouldn't surprise me if visiting Spaniards eventually start being targetted by English fans when in England for games.

I heard the stories of Chelsea fans climbing some ridiculous scaffold to get to their seats.

I heard the stories of Chelsea fans climbing some ridiculous scaffold to get to their seats.
There was a makeshift bridge that wasnt particularly stable for no apparent reason. Several ticket inspections outside and inside the stadium including going up the ramps. Stewards had batons and were using them indiscriminately. A small group of Chelsea fans also got directed down a lane to where a group of thugs were waiting. At half time folk were getting hit for going to the toilet. On way in and on info from Chelsea you were told to sit anywhere. Once in certain stewards demanded people moved and it kicked off a bit.

We fucked off before the end to avoid what we knew was about to happen.

Utterly vile.

Last edited:
Yes it did mate, Ipswichloyal or something? Sure that was the Spanish police who threw him down. Absolute scum anyway treating fans like that.

Yep it was me. Still suffering to this very day, with acute Rheumatoid Arthritis in all my joints as a result of the Spanish police breaking my leg in THREE places in the Nou Camp that 2007 night.

While admitting to being pished (well) ......I swear I was just trying to find my seat after climbing Everest up in the Gods, where us official Bears had seats.

Upon showing a steward my ticket, he just ignored me..........went to another asking for help, he told me to f**k off...........' I just want my f**king seat mate'................then it happened.

Four Spanish police came running over, lifting me up, I knew I was in trouble straight away having seen their thuggish action at our games in Villarreal and Pamplona, brutally attacking ANY Rangers supporters.

They took me to an exit, then THREW me down a concrete flight of stairs, resulting in my left leg smashed and broken in 3 places.

As stated above - an ordeal I STILL am suffering from today as a result of their 'actions'

Yep it was me. Still suffering to this very day, with acute Rheumatoid Arthritis in all my joints as a result of the Spanish police breaking my leg in THREE places in the Nou Camp that 2007 night.

While admitting to being pished (well) ......I swear I was just trying to find my seat after climbing Everest up in the Gods, where us official Bears had seats.

Upon showing a steward my ticket, he just ignored me..........went to another asking for help, he told me to f**k off...........' I just want my f**king seat mate'................then it happened.

Four Spanish police came running over, lifting me up, I knew I was in trouble straight away having seen their thuggish action at our games in Villarreal and Pamplona, brutally attacking ANY Rangers supporters.

They took me to an exit, then THREW me down a concrete flight of stairs, resulting in my left leg smashed and broken in 3 places.

As stated above - an ordeal I STILL am suffering from today as a result of their 'actions'

Thats bloody horrendous mate. I take it there was no video of it happening? What about witnesses? Or is there no point fighting these cowards hiding behind the uniform?

Sorry to hear you're still suffering from it, it's not right.

There was a makeshift bridge that wasnt particularly stable for no apparent reason. Several ticket inspections outside and inside the stadium including going up the ramps. Stewards had batons and were using them indiscriminately. A small group of Chelsea fans also got directed down a lane to where a group of thugs were waiting. At half time folk were getting hit for going to the toilet. On way in and on info from Chelsea you were told to sit anywhere. Once in certain stewards demanded people moved and it kicked off a bit.

We fucked off before the end to avoid what we knew was about to happen.

Utterly vile.
The stewards with batons was ridiculous. and that bridge thing was a death trap something like €84 for tickets up there !!

Also left early the fact Chelsea were getting gubbed 3-0 probably helped sway that.

Disgusting, and I know how much this affected you and still does to this day.

Thats bloody horrendous mate. I take it there was no video of it happening? What about witnesses? Or is there no point fighting these cowards hiding behind the uniform?

Sorry to hear you're still suffering from it, it's not right.

No CCTV or witnesses, they made sure it was a 'discreet' stairway exit. I was told after my return home on taking legal advice, you cannot sue police abroad.

It really was a personal nightmare - 2 days in a Barcelona hospital and my hotel bed. They put me in plaster in Spain. Mercifully, I was insured and the Insurance company paid for the hospital and my flight home taking up 3 seats.

I was in hospital in Bedford for over a week after the 6 hour operation. The surgeon said it was one of the worst breaks he'd ever seen. When he asked how it happened, he had a look of horror at my response.

4 months off work, the first on sick pay, 2nd I used my 2008 Holiday entitlement - 3rd & 4th ZERO, apart from statutory sick pay pittance!

The day I returned to work, they made me redundant - evidently it's illegal to make a person redundant while on the sick!

I fought back, got another job within days and made sure I attended the UEFA Cup Final in Manchester, my first game since the nightmare.

I've been back abroad cheering the Gers on many times since, inc Spain (Valencia) but made sure I was sensible with the drink over there...........NEVER will I get pished at a football match in Spain again.

Thanks for your concern 5*RFC

As stated further up, I've been on daily and weekly medication for over 11 years. All sorts of pills, inject myself in the knees once a week...........my quality of life now sucks, but hey, at least I'm still here and get to see the Bears as much as I can afford to.

No CCTV or witnesses, they made sure it was a 'discreet' stairway exit. I was told after my return home on taking legal advice, you cannot sue police abroad.

It really was a personal nightmare - 2 days in a Barcelona hospital and my hotel bed. They put me in plaster in Spain. Mercifully, I was insured and the Insurance company paid for the hospital and my flight home taking up 3 seats.

I was in hospital in Bedford for over a week after the 6 hour operation. The surgeon said it was one of the worst breaks he'd ever seen. When he asked how it happened, he had a look of horror at my response.

4 months off work, the first on sick pay, 2nd I used my 2008 Holiday entitlement - 3rd & 4th ZERO, apart from statutory sick pay pittance!

The day I returned to work, they made me redundant - evidently it's illegal to make a person redundant while on the sick!

I fought back, got another job within days and made sure I attended the UEFA Cup Final in Manchester, my first game since the nightmare.

I've been back abroad cheering the Gers on many times since, inc Spain (Valencia) but made sure I was sensible with the drink over there...........NEVER will I get pished at a football match in Spain again.

Thanks for your concern 5*RFC

As stated further up, I've been on daily and weekly medication for over 11 years. All sorts of pills, inject myself in the knees once a week...........my quality of life now sucks, but hey, at least I'm still here and get to see the Bears as much as I can afford to.

Christ thats truly awful reading about the nightmare you have suffered and the consequences you still deal with all these years later.

The bastards who done it will no doubt be living a comfortable life whilst you and god knows how many others are suffering physically, mentally and financially.

We have the best fans in the world and your determination to follow our great club wherever that may be is very admirable.

WATP No Surrender mate!

Spanish police are indeed atseholes, I've been batoned in Pamplona for nothing and nearly been done in Valencia and Seville and seen others done in Barcelona.
Having said that, it didn't seem quite as bad in Villarreal this year. At the end of the game the riot police put on their helmets behind us and I was expecting them to batter shit out of us but it didn't happen. Mind you, it shows how bad Spanish polis is if not getting battered for nothing is a pleasant surprise :D

Back