Man Utd fans complain of 'deplorable treatment' in Bruges

Bonnyloyal

A Manchester United fans group has written an open letter to the mayor of Bruges, complaining of what they call "deplorable treatment" during their trip to the city.
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's side drew 1-1 with Club Bruges last week in the first leg of their Europa League last-32 tie.
Supporters described the trip as "the worst experience of a European away game they'd had for many years".
"Fans were in genuine fear for their safety," the letter said.
"We returned home with an impression of Bruges that should shame all those responsible for our safety and security," the Manchester United Supporters Trust continued.
"We have numerous reports that the police instructed taxi drivers to stay away from the ground and not to pick up Manchester United fans. It was a long walk in horrendous weather conditions from the town to the stadium."
The letter to mayor Dirk De fauw also questioned the local police's use of water cannons and barbed wire barriers, as well as an apparent refusal to allow supporters to exit the stadium.
"We would be embarrassed if visitors to Manchester were treated as described above - are you not ashamed of the way visitors to your city were treated?" it read. "Poor treatment is one issue but the safety concerns go far beyond that and we will be sending a report to Uefa outlining the issues our supporters have sent to us."
In the letter, MUST also alleged:
  • fans had been "deliberately sent in the wrong direction on long detours"
  • there was "almost universal hostility from police when they were approached for assistance/directions"
  • exit gates in the stadium were "locked leading to the build up of crowds and the risk of a crush developing"
Manchester United fans are being invited to submit personal accounts of their experiences through the Trust's website.
BBC Sport has contacted the mayor's office for comment.

Bruges is a shithole
MV5BNDdhZTUxZDktMGNjYi00YTNmLThkODMtMDg2NjhkZGMxZmJkL2ltYWdlL2ltYWdlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTc3MjUzNTI@._V1_.jpg

I am far from a Man Utd lover, but I wish their fans success in this venture.

Too often normal fans get treated like shit abroad.

Good luck to them..... this is when they may realise they ain’t the big team they used to be when UEFA tell them to get tae

Was in Antwerp few months back, Supermarket 50 yards from Main station needed to scan your Receipt to activate the barriers to get out.

Fcking hell changed days. Haven't been there since we played Feyenoord in 2002 and it was full of Roger Moore's, Lap Dancers and Bars lol.

Are people seriously calling Bruges a shit hole?
Judging by the odd marginal comment I think they mean Brussels because Muslims live there or something.
F.uck me!

Are people seriously calling Bruges a shit hole?
Judging by the odd marginal comment I think they mean Brussels because Muslims live there or something.
F.uck me!

Wasn't keen on Bruges, just found it a rip off really more than anything else - interesting to hear a few people call it a shithole (got the joke now but wouldn’t be surprised if people didn’t have a great opinion of the place!) Really liked Ghent, much calmer and fairly priced and enjoyed Antwerp, more of a lads place than the other two..

Last edited:
Perhaps its time UEFA sent observers as undercover visiting fans to all games where (say) over 1000 visting fans were expected in order to assess supporter safety , stadium access and egress, stewarding standards, public transport provision and police behaviour. Clubs and cities who weren't up to scratch might up their game if fines or stadium closures were being dished out for significant breaches. If they can do it for naughty song singers..........................................

Fcking hell changed days. Haven't been there since we played Feyenoord in 2002 and it was full of Roger Moore's, Lap Dancers and Bars lol.

Went in 2011 and then 2019. Thought it had gone backwards a bit on the piss up front Antwerp, didn't seem to be as many bars etc....

I’m sure we could all name away trips where the experience has been similar. The media wouldn’t even bother reporting it here or if they did it would be slanted in such a way it would be our fault...”Hooligan Gers Fans”.

I’ve said it before but away fans get treated like royalty when they visit UK grounds.

I’m sure we could all name away trips where the experience has been similar. The media wouldn’t even bother reporting it here or if they did it would be slanted in such a way it would be our fault...”Hooligan Gers Fans”.

I’ve said it before but away fans get treated like royalty when they visit UK grounds.
Am sure the majority of the way fans coming to us the last two seasons will have mostly positive views.
I'm in CD 5 and the mob who have blagged my seat seemed relaxed being among us. Not aware of any adverse behaviour toward them.

Uefa - more interest in 1 song than fans being battered in the streets and children being abused.
Scum of the highest order.

My memory of bruges is horrendous. Nothing to do with the place itself, just the fact that I was sparked out on the bus and missed the game. Long journey home that was.

%^*& Bruges :cool:

That said, does that sound so terrible to dub it the worst experience in years?

Gates are closed to make sure nobody gets in for free and fans are left in the ground to ensure they don't end up with the home fans. Last time ManU fans were let out early and attacked by Bruges fans, make up your minds.

As for impolite police and having to walk a bit to the ground, cry me a river.

Last edited:
If it was the same people who chased old men and kids down Kinning Park underground I have absolutely no sympathy. For anyone else, I support them as it sounds like a familiar take on events from some of our euro trips.

Back