Man Utd players losing faith in Solksjaer sources tell ESPN

Buffalobluebear

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is fighting to save his job as Manchester United manager, with sources telling ESPN that the 48-year-old had already lost the faith of a sizable number of his squad even before Sunday's 5-0 defeat against Liverpool.

ESPN has also been told that the United hierarchy are aware that former Juventus, Chelsea and Inter Milan coach Antonio Conte is prepared to return to management at Old Trafford.
Another prominent candidate, ex-Real Madridmanager Zinedine Zidane, is not interested should the United job become available, sources tell ESPN's Julien Laurens.

Solskjaer, initially appointed as interim manager following the sacking of Jose Mourinho in December 2018, has now lost five of his last nine games, and sources said that his support in the dressing room is largely limited to the core of United's British players and a small number of the team's overseas players.
Although ESPN has been told the atmosphere around the club is nowhere close to being "as toxic as it was under Mourinho," the defeat to Liverpool has cast an air of resignation around Old Trafford about Solskjaer's future as manager.
ESPN has been told that Solskjaer's inability to solve the team's defensive problems, his apparent "favouritism" of underperforming players and reluctance to hand opportunities to Jesse Lingard, Donny van de Beek and Nemanja Matic has led to some players openly criticising the manager to teammates while on international duty.

Sources also said that senior players have become exasperated by Solskjaer's failure to impose his authority on United's misfiring forwards.
One source cited the lack of understanding between Cristiano Ronaldo and Mason Greenwood as being down to Solskjaer and his inability to force the pair to link up more convincingly. Teammates have noticed that the pair rarely pass to each other in attacking positions and that Ronaldo is becoming visibly irritated by his young teammate's decision to shoot rather than pass in goal-scoring positions.

Although sources said that Solskjaer is not an unpopular figure within the squad (unlike Mourinho and his predecessor, Louis van Gaal), there is a belief that the former Molde manager lacks the experience, mentality and credentials of Pep Guardiola, Jurgen Klopp and Thomas Tuchel.

Sources said that senior players want more tactical direction from Solskjaer and his coaches, but that he has been found wanting in that area.

Conte, who resigned as Inter coach after guiding the club to the Serie A title last season, has a track record of imposing tactical demands on his teams, and winning domestic titles with Juventus, Chelsea and Inter supports his credentials as a coach with a successful CV.

Sources told ESPN that there has been a reluctance within United to turn to Conte, who is regarded within the game as an abrasive and demanding character, but there is also a realisation at Old Trafford that he is the best option available should they have to find a replacement for Solskjaer.

Mauricio Pochettino has been a long-term target for United, but the former Tottenham coach is now in charge at Paris Saint-Germain and, despite an unconvincing start to the season, is not expected to be available anytime soon.

I’m stunned that he’s still there. Thought that he might do the decent thing and walk. United have been a shambles for a long time but under OGS they’re only getting worse.

No surprise, he's never gonna be the required standard for them. Staggering he's getting away with these performances because he's an ex player.

Sadly it looks certain to come to an end, if he’s not mutual consented within a month it’ll be a shock. He made more memes than Moyes and won less than Van Gaal and Jose, yet lasted so long, a mental club currently.

Wonder who will be the caretaker for the caretaker, hopefully they can win a few games and the board double down.

Absolute basket case of a club, manager after manager spending hundreds of millions on absolute shite. Why the %^*& did they chase Sancho then go out and sign Ronaldo (answers other than “because they can”). They need tipped upside down by someone that can turn a bunch of individuals into a team.

I guess he will probably be judged as having done a decent job in terms of where the squad was when he took over compared to now when all is said and done, but he really should never have got the job in the first place. He would have been nowhere near it if the job had been offered based on candidates CV’s as a manager, and it’s always slightly perplexed me United have been seemingly happy being so blatantly outclassed in the dug out not just by Liverpool, Chelsea, City etc but even a lot further down the supposed hierarchy - does OGS crack the top ten managers in that league ? Would literally any other club have hired him in the first place or hire him once his United stint is done ?

Only part I do feel sorry for him with is that there are people in that squad who’ve seen off 3 managers now, and whoever takes that job is going to have to manage what is undoubtedly a group that contains individuals who blame the manager rather than take responsibility for their shortcomings.

To be fair pal I think United results and performances are doing that themselves
I don’t think the hacks had to work any overtime or get anonymous sources to realize players are losing/have lost faith in Ole

They got pumped 5-0 at home it’s was plainly fucking obvious
The problems are long in the making, 10 years+ of it so sacking OGS is hardly going to reverse that.

In fact of all the people who've had the job since Sir Alex, OGS has probably improved Man Utd the most in terms of where they were when he took over to the point where he left (which is probably now or soon).

Moyes, LVG, Jose, for all each of them did or didnt do with the team they each oversaw further decline and problems mounting without ever really pushing the club in the right direction.

The problems are long in the making, 10 years+ of it so sacking OGS is hardly going to reverse that.

In fact of all the people who've had the job since Sir Alex, OGS has probably improved Man Utd the most in terms of where they were when he took over to the point where he left (which is probably now or soon).

Moyes, LVG, Jose, for all each of them did or didnt do with the team they each oversaw further decline and problems mounting without ever really pushing the club in the right direction.

LVG and Jose actually won a trophy or two. OGS has been backed the most as well as far I can tell.

A lot of players at Man Utd are frauds, negating their own responsibility. You can see why Ronaldo is frustrated, but it’s not all on Ole, albeit he will pay the price as all managers do. McGuire is shite, Pogba spits the dummy! It’s a shambles!

A big problem for me with Man U is that they don't have an out and out striker other than Cavani. I understand Liverpool are set up without one but they play a different style of football. Man U have Ronaldo, Greenwood, Rashford, Sancho and Martial who are more like an inside forward. Someone who comes in off the wing. If you added a powerful striker to that with the correct management they would be in a far better place. Personally I would sell Martial and play Ronaldo, Fernandes and Sancho off a main striker. Rashford and Greenwood would be my subs. Haaland is the obvious choice for a striker but there are plenty more out there who wouldnt cost as much and they could focus on getting there midfield and defence sorted.
De Gea
Wan Bassaka
Maguire
Varne
Shaw
New Midfielder
New Midfielder
Sancho
Fernandes
Ronaldo
New Striker
In my opinion this could work but only if they sign the right players. I think Conte would shore up that midfield and bring in the correct striker to suit this.

Last edited:
Ole seems like a nice guy but one totally out of his depth at this level.

He has been backed to the hilt both in terms of transfers and wages.

It was telling in the Atalanta game at half time when 2-0 down it was rumoured to be Ronaldo tearing his team mates a new one at half time and Bruno Fernandez suggesting tactical changes as he didn’t think it was working.

With Conte free and available you would think it would be a no brainer for the Utd board.

He’s completely out his depth. Just goes to show why he got sacked by Cardiff.
Still unfathomable he ever got the ManU job after failing in his first big job in English football.
I know he got success with Molde but that's hardly enough to get the manager job at a massive club, surely.

I get he's a club legend but this has been a massive failing by the owners.

A lot of players at Man Utd are frauds, negating their own responsibility. You can see why Ronaldo is frustrated, but it’s not all on Ole, albeit he will pay the price as all managers do. McGuire is shite, Pogba spits the dummy! It’s a shambles!

Ronaldo's the worst of the lot along with Pogba!

Like a man down unless everything's put to him on a plate.

You can see his attitude is rotten as well the way he was sitting on the bench greeting that time (against Everton?) and from the video someone else has posted on this thread of him mocking Ole's tactics with daft hand gestures. Completely undermining the manager which isn't right regardless of how out of his depth Ole is.

A big problem for me with Man U is that they don't have an out and out striker other than Cavani. I understand Liverpool are set up without one but they play a different style of football. Man U have Ronaldo, Greenwood, Rashford, Sancho and Martial who are more like an inside forward. Someone who comes in off the wing. If you added a powerful striker to that with the correct management they would be in a far better place. Personally I would sell Martial and play Ronaldo, Fernandes and Sancho off a main striker. Rashford and Greenwood would be my subs. Haaland is the obvious choice for a striker but there are plenty more out there who wouldnt cost as much and they could focus on getting there midfield and defence sorted.
De Gea
Wan Bassaka
Maguire
Varne
Shaw
New Midfielder
New Midfielder
Sancho
Fernandes
Ronaldo
New Striker
In my opinion this could work but only if they sign the right players. I think Conte would shore up that midfield and bring in the correct striker to suit this.
Ronaldo is a main striker now.

The media hacks and pundits are really working overtime to get OGS the sack.
Some have had it for him since Day 1… some managers seem to have “doubts” cast over them no matter what results are - some are given an easy ride regardless.

Man Utd are not achieving what their fans and the club itself expects, no doubt of that, but Europa Final and qualification to a Champions League last season wasn’t a disaster.

The problem he has now is that he has either brought in, or committed to the players who are in the squad, and his regular starting team in particular. The days of being able to point to previous manager leaving a problem to fix are gone.

Solskjaer is out of his depth that much is clear however a bunch of players unwilling to even run and press should be careful what they wish for....

Mate I'm not disagreeing with your point but i think if you look at the squad united have had they a pep a klopp or tuchel in charge they would be doing a lot better

Ferguson left the club in a poor state and I felt for motes as it was a massive rebuild that he wasn't given the time for

Ferguson left the club in a poor state and I felt for motes as it was a massive rebuild that he wasn't given the time for
I saw Moyes outside The Taps in Lytham during the recent international break, and I can assure you he is totally over that episode in his life. He had a content demeanour.

I saw Moyes outside The Taps in Lytham during the recent international break, and I can assure you he is totally over that episode in his life. He had a content demeanour.
He's doing a great job at West ham and it good he's over it but i think whoever took over from ferguson was going to struggle.

I always thought he seemed an alright guy, but it’s at a point now where I think he’s just a selfish wee money grabber, because he himself surely has to know he’s not cut out for that gig and that he’d be best vacating the position to force them to find someone more capable.

I’m stunned that he’s still there. Thought that he might do the decent thing and walk. United have been a shambles for a long time but under OGS they’re only getting worse.
Not a chance he’s walking. He’ll never manage at a club the size of Man U again. I also imagine he’d want paid off too.

Moyes accepted the poisoned chalice, and probably knew that it would be a hiding to nothing. I think we all knew that they needed to cleanse their palate after SAF, and Davie did that for them. LVG and JM were vanity projects from a directionless club, however OGS was an attempt to re-build and grow both club and manager in tandem, but that appears to have hit the rocks.

Runners-up last season, with the addition of Sancho and Varane should have improved the first team and the overall squad, however there have been other issues OGS was clearly not in control of.

The failure to get Pogba to leave for a fee (any fee!) last summer was a big mistake, but nothing compared to the shambles of bringing in CR7 to a carefully-built squad. Based on CR7's performances and the video above, he needs to be told to stay away from the first team squad until further notice.

I was impressed by the number of ManUre fans who stuck it out on Sunday, especially after the fifth goal so early in the second half, and the support they gave to the team. Sky were only too glad to show the fans who left, but the majority stayed and it sounded to me like the half-time boo-brigade had left before full-time.

The euphoria of CR7's arrival has elapsed and they can now see that he is a drain on the team. Pogba only appears to turn out for Les Bleus and hardly ever in red, so I think OGS deserves a chance to drop both from the first team and play the team he planned for over the summer.

I think ManUre know that the next manager is not always a better manager.

Solskjaer has set a hell of a BS narrative around his management of Man U, there is nothing that needs built or developed, they have a squad that with a decent manager should be utterly involved in a title race NOW.

They have a squad miles and miles and miles in front of 16 of the teams they play most weeks.

They were a shambles last season as well, finishing only 5 points ahead of Liverpool given the season they had should have seen him punted. They dropped too many points, punted out Cups by teams they should beat, a shambles in the CL and were humpty in the Europa Final

A constant low water mark is set for a few EPL teams, and they generally tend to just keep pushing it lower and still miss it, it has applied at Man U for years and years now. It is possible for teams in that league to finish a really poor, 4th, 3rd or even 2nd Man United have managed to do that a lot in recent years. In the isolation of their season rather than where they finished last season was shite

Last edited:

Mourinho finished 2nd too as well as winning a League Cup and a Europa League

Badly let down by Pogba and the likes.

Im not Pogbas biggest fan but i dont blame this on him

Hes among the best midfielders in Europe hes a world cup winner and Ole doesn't even know where to play him hes not got a role at man u its baffling.

Van Gaal and Moyes were poor at Man U massively in part because they weren't up to the standard to do the job.

Moyes was always going to be out his depth, most knew it.
Van Gaal had aged and the game had moved on, most knew it.

Mourinho is the only slightly innovative appointment they have made since Ferguson and even then his appointment was a couple of seasons too late.

FFS they are a football team and are not bigger than the universe.

The way some go on about how difficult it must be to manage them is astonishing.

I see Rodgers ending up there and turning them around quickly.

They have an incredibly talented squad and he would certainly get the best out of them.

Back